PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn ceiling repair recommendations

craigcd
06-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Figured I would try here for a recommendation before rolling the dice on kijiji. Long story short my fridge on the main level leaked which resulted in having to remove a 4x6 section of the cieling in the basement to get everything dried out. I have put up new dry wall and did a rough mud and tape.

I need someone to come finish the cieling with the popcorn finish to match the rest of the room. Small job.

Any recommendations??

Craig

Thaco
06-22-2017, 04:59 PM
any professional is going to tell you you need to re-texture the entire ceiling

I have used the aerosol cans, but it took me 2 cans to do a 2x2 foot space, which at $25 a can gets pricey quick, and it was really messy... so you can go that route, but keep in mind you will need to re-paint the entire ceiling after you re-texture it (luckily for me my area was above the new cabinets which went to only a couple inches below the ceiling so i didnt bother re-painting)

craigcd
06-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Was hoping it could just be patched and blended without being repainted. Really dont feel like doing the entire thing its a spare bedroom in our basement. Those rattle cans are a nightmare haha, wont be going that route.

jwslam
06-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Was hoping it could just be patched and blended without being repainted. Really dont feel like doing the entire thing its a spare bedroom in our basement. Those rattle cans are a nightmare haha, wont be going that route.
Is taking all the popcorn down an option?

spikerS
06-22-2017, 07:33 PM
I have a texture hopper and sprayer. There is a TON of prep work involved though, and you will always be able to tell where you touched it up, that's why people tell you that you have to re-do the whole ceiling. If you want to borrow it, let me know.

ercchry
06-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Yeah, impossible to just patch... I've slowly been removing it room by room as I do ceiling repairs, cheaper to just get a guy in to skim the whole room and have a flat ceiling... more modern too than popcorn

KPHMPH
06-23-2017, 09:46 AM
We just put another layer of drywall over the whole ceiling. WAY easier than painting it.

Also we had removed a wall in one room so we just put a fake beam across the whole ceiling to cover it up.

Swank
06-23-2017, 01:27 PM
I dunno, I had a guy do a corner where the bathroom leaked above. He chipped away all the damaged stuff and resprayed to match, it looked very good and you wouldn't even know unless you looked really close. $500 felt a bit steep but I was selling the house for profit anyhow, drop in the bucket.

suntan
06-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Texture king redid the popcorn in my powder and mud rooms. Still looks great. Also he was not expensive.

jwslam
06-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Also we had removed a wall in one room so we just put a fake beam across the whole ceiling to cover it up.
Off topic: how do you patch the flooring?

Maxt
06-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Just be careful with ceiling texture if the house is older.. I made a conditional offer on a older home ('74) earlier in the year, took samples of the drywall mud, stucco and the textured ceiling, the ceiling came back as 3% asbestos...

craigcd
06-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Its a newer house so matching might not be as big of issue. There will definitely not be asbestos.

I have a guy coming out Friday so I will report back, worst case scenario I will paint the roof in the entire room once hes done.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a texture hopper and sprayer. There is a TON of prep work involved though, and you will always be able to tell where you touched it up, that's why people tell you that you have to re-do the whole ceiling. If you want to borrow it, let me know.

Thanks for the offer spikerS typically I would tackle this myself but its small I will leave it up to a pro!

swak
06-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Texture king redid the popcorn in my powder and mud rooms. Still looks great. Also he was not expensive.

if you dont mind...
Whats approx cost? How much sq. footage?

craigcd
06-30-2017, 07:46 PM
if you dont mind...
Whats approx cost? How much sq. footage?

Had a guy come out and do my patch today. Took him about 1.5 hours and I paid him $120. He taped everything off, hung plastic and sprayed. Matched the rest of the roof 90%.

He was a great guy and communicated well over text, worked fast and left zero mess. Worth every penny rather than doing it myself!

PM me if you want his number, found him on kijiji.