PDA

View Full Version : FS: 2001 Blue Ford Focus ZX-3 (a very capable budget-friendly beginner autocross car)

Zero102
06-26-2017, 07:22 PM
A change in work situation (and location) means my focus is up for sale.

Some details:
2.0L Zetec + MTX75 5-speed manual, approximately 171k
Non-ABS 2001 ZX-3 so it's light
Gear oil was last changed this spring with the ford magic honey
Brake fluid was changed 2 years ago
Brake pads and rotors were done 3 years ago - normal consumer-ey rotors and ceramic street pads
Since I've owned the car it has gotten oil changes every 4-5k with synthetic oil only and motorcraft filters
Working A/C
An Atsco reman steering rack was installed 3 years ago

The car comes with 2 sets of wheels:
1) 5.5" wide 15" diameter white stock wheels with completely dead garbage tires (seriously, parking use ONLY) one is super rusty because the PO let the brakes rub through to the backing plates and so it's got metal flecks embedded in it. I tried using polishing compound and the brown does come off but right after I started I got a really good deal on set #2 and stopped
2) 7" wide 15" diameter Rota wheels, black, I'd say average condition, currently wearing some 205/50R15 RE-71R tires with well over half tread life

Upgrades:
Poly bushings in the back end, and I have the bushings on-hand for the front end
Rear subframe with swaybar mounts and rear bar is installed, also poly bushings for the rear sway bar
K-MAC camber plates on the front
Rear disc swap (the smaller non-SVT rear discs)

Stock shocks/springs/struts
No ABS (was never equipped)

LOADS of brand new spare parts:

Inner and outer tie rods
Control arms (two left for some reason)
Front and rear wheel bearings
Spark plugs, wires and probably a coil pack
More stuff I've probably forgotten

Some used spare parts:

A pair of sway bars I was given in a deal. I was told they are stock but I never measured them because I like the bars that are on it now
Spare steering racks, one SVT one normal, both used and a little leaky but good for a rebuild
Driver's side mirror - just needs the cables re-attached to the inner half as I had to salvage it from 2 separate cars at pick n pull

This car is an amazing deal because

Gets me to an event in Red Deer, through a day of autoslalom and back home in about 30-32L of fuel
It can haul 240 cones plus fire extinguishers and helmets if necessary
Tires are super cheap because they're 15" (I checked my receipts, the last set of RE-71Rs cost me $541 including tax, mount and balance)

It does need a couple things in the not too distant future:

I noticed after last season the front wheel bearings are starting to develop a little bit of play and need to be done soon
During my pre-season inspection I noticed the driver's tie rod boot is torn at the outer end
I also noticed the axle seal on the driver's side seems to be leaking a tiny bit
The battery is getting older - it isn't showing any signs of dying electrically but it looks to be leaking a tiny bit from the top. Maybe it's all the hard cornering or maybe it's going to fail soon.

It also has a couple minor issues that will probably not cause any significant problems:

One of the power steering lines is VERY slightly leaking. I noticed this when I bought the car a few years ago and it hasn't gotten any worse. The crimp where one of the hard lines goes to the front of the car is just getting a bit built up with stuck-on grime
The steering rack is leaking very slightly from the plate on the backside of it. It doesn't have any play in it or any other problems but the leak annoys me - this might not require any new parts to correct
Lots of things in the interior squeak and rattle and the seats are getting worn
The driver's door has had a very poor quality rust repair done. It's water-tight and solid enough but cosmetically it sucks
The rear washer nozzle doesn't work. It was working before I swapped the hatch and I thought I was careful not to pinch the line so maybe it's just a clogged nozzle. I'll try to look into this and might be able to resolve it[/li]

Because I am moving out-of-province and already have a lot of problems to solve I would just like an easy sale and so I'm listing at $1500. In my opinion this is a bargain and an extremely cheap entrance to this sport. If you disagree feel free to make an offer but don't just message me and ask how low I'm willing to go.

This is a ready-to-go car that I regularly score 94 or higher on PAX with in STF and would be even more competitive if you downgraded it to HS.

The car will be available after the July 8 Red Deer event. I will have it at the July 8 event if you'd like to check it out or it can be viewed weeknights or weekends at my house in Royal Oak.

http://i.imgur.com/36LMuXwl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0vfCvVAl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ro2VVgJl.jpg

Zero102
07-17-2017, 10:21 PM
This is a whole autocross car for less than most people pay for a set of tires, and it's still got a half (or better) good set of tires!

The price isn't firm - if you are somebody you know wants to get into the sport this would be an excellent beginner's car, or if you're starting to get some experience but have been driving something that is classed very poorly this could be a very cheap way to move up the rankings! If you're interested, get in touch, I'm most interested in seeing this car go to another autocrosser but I will put it on Kijiji in a week or so if it hasn't sold because I need it gone before I move to BC in early August.