PDA

View Full Version : Charging Energizer Batteries with Sony Charger?

blinkme_210
03-22-2004, 11:53 PM
I picked up some rechargeable NiMH Energizer batteries, which are the same specifications as my Sony Cybershot camera batteries, 2100mAh, 1.2v, etc.

So I'm wondering if I can charge these Energizer batteries in the same NiMH charger that Sony has provided with my digi cam?

sti_power
03-23-2004, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't they will eaither crack or just last for like 30 min after a full charge!:nut:

EK 2.0
03-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Its been my expirience that Sony is VERY proprietary with their accesories...I wouldn't chance it for risk of ruining the charger man...

blinkme_210
03-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Hmmm.... but it is essientially a NiMH charger no?

I wonder if anyone on here has tried this before?

Davetronz
03-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Its a risk you can take.
It is common knowlege that some different brands of batteries cant be charged together (not that it relates to this).
Anyways, if the charger is for NiMH and the batteries are NiMH and everything is the same power rating it "shouldnt" be an issue.....

But dont quote me.

szw
03-23-2004, 01:28 AM
I had a sony charger from sony cybershot and use it to charge some no=name rechargables with no problems. I don't see what the big risk is? battery is a battery in this case
:dunno:

ZorroAMG
03-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Depends on the charger.. does it have a timing mechanism or a volttage meter to regulate the charge? Most likely you are talking about the charger that plugs into the camera right? A standard charger designed for a specific battery may cause under or overcharging on other brands. NiMH batteries, although better than NiCad's are MUCH more finicky with their conditioning. I would not risk using a charger designed for a specific camera with it's batteries inside as they may only charge based on a heat factor and different batteries are capable of higher "temp" to reach their completed charge cycles.

I have NiMH batteries for my RC cars that require special chargers that will charge all my different brands of 3300Mah sub c-cell batteries. The charger allows me to alter the current and voltage going to the batteries and it is crucial to their performance

I would stick with the charger designed for the batteries you bought...

szw
03-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Depends on the charger.. does it have a timing mechanism or a volttage meter to regulate the charge? Most likely you are talking about the charger that plugs into the camera right? A standard charger designed for a specific battery may cause under or overcharging on other brands. NiMH batteries, although better than NiCad's are MUCH more finicky with their conditioning. I would not risk using a charger designed for a specific camera with it's batteries inside as they may only charge based on a heat factor and different batteries are capable of higher "temp" to reach their completed charge cycles.

I have NiMH batteries for my RC cars that require special chargers that will charge all my different brands of 3300Mah sub c-cell batteries. The charger allows me to alter the current and voltage going to the batteries and it is crucial to their performance

I would stick with the charger designed for the batteries you bought...

oh yah I should mention, I said it should be okay because the Sony charger I got with my camera was not one that plugs into the camera. Its simply a charger for AA or AAA batteries that plugs into the wall-socket. If you have one that plugs into the camera and charges it I wouldn't use the other batteries. But if its like mine, like I said, its okay.

Gonthro
03-23-2004, 03:56 PM
i have a RS nimh charger for my AA's and i charge RS batteries and energizer batteries, not at the same time though

blinkme_210
03-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Well, good news, the batteries are perfectly fine. I charged them overnight in the charger with no problems at all.

In case anyone wants to know what kind of batteries, and charger they were.... here.. You can probably pick up these batteries anywhere, Superstore, FS, Visions, Wal-Mart, etc.

http://members.shaw.ca/blinkme_210/b1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/blinkme_210/b2.jpg

blinkme_210
03-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by szw
I had a sony charger from sony cybershot and use it to charge some no=name rechargables with no problems. I don't see what the big risk is? battery is a battery in this case
:dunno:

I asked one of my techie-friends, and they said basically what you said. A NiMH battery is the same, only difference is the wrapping on the outside.

polaris
03-24-2004, 03:24 AM
Ah, another battery myth.
Most tickle charge charges like these, would charge these no problem. The only problem you would get is if you tried to charge NiCad batteries in them, cause NiCad is totally different than NiMH, some chargers can do both, some cant.

A NiMH arn't all the same, however. With the major difference in their rated mWh. But it should be common knowledge that you shouldn't charge 1800mWh batteries with 2200mWh ones. Even cheap "no name" batteries would hold up pretty well even if overcharged in a slow tickle charger. There are some cheap "fast" chargers out there that dont check for temp. and voltage peaks that would beat batteries straight down to hell. But I dont think Sony's would.

I hear there are super fast charger and batteries out now that charges in like 15mins. But those batteries really are proprietary, and only work with their own chargers and their own batteries.

ZorroAMG
03-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Ah, see I was under the impression that it was the camera charging the batteries and not an external charger. Glad it all worked out for you :D

Polaris, I hope you meant "Trickle Charger" not tickle...lol ;)

Gonthro
03-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by polaris
Ah, another battery myth.
Most tickle charge charges like these, would charge these no problem. The only problem you would get is if you tried to charge NiCad batteries in them, cause NiCad is totally different than NiMH, some chargers can do both, some cant.

A NiMH arn't all the same, however. With the major difference in their rated mWh. But it should be common knowledge that you shouldn't charge 1800mWh batteries with 2200mWh ones. Even cheap "no name" batteries would hold up pretty well even if overcharged in a slow tickle charger. There are some cheap "fast" chargers out there that dont check for temp. and voltage peaks that would beat batteries straight down to hell. But I dont think Sony's would.

I hear there are super fast charger and batteries out now that charges in like 15mins. But those batteries really are proprietary, and only work with their own chargers and their own batteries.

my charger says it is specifically made for charging either NIMH or NICAD....

ZorroAMG
03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
uggh, nice selling feature designed to ruin your nimh's :)

blinkme_210
03-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by polaris

I believe you are referring to Rayovac. You can pick them up at any Future Shop for $60 with 2 AA NiMH rechargeables included. The extra batteries cost the same as Energizer, Duracell for a AA/AAA 2/4 pack.

The chargers themselves are pretty popular, been to 3 different FS here in Edmonton, and all of them have been sold out, even Best Buy.

Gonthro
03-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

I believe you are referring to Rayovac. You can pick them up at any Future Shop for $60 with 2 AA NiMH rechargeables included. The extra batteries cost the same as Energizer, Duracell for a AA/AAA 2/4 pack.

The chargers themselves are pretty popular, been to 3 different FS here in Edmonton, and all of them have been sold out, even Best Buy.

you can get that at walmart or zellers too