PDA

View Full Version : Red Ball Project

phreezee
06-26-2017, 08:27 PM
That's as much art as the Big Blue Ring lol. Caused a jam with rush hour cyclists and pedestrians on my commute home today over the Peace bridge. I blame Nenshi and Druh.
:rofl:

https://redballproject.com/

Who thinks this is a good idea? SRSLY?

https://redballproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/RBCalgary_17_01_0202_BW.jpg

speedog
06-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Won't anyone think of the children?

Oh and the cyclists as well.

Sugarphreak
06-26-2017, 09:16 PM

J-hop
06-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Should have at least made it blue

speedog
06-26-2017, 09:49 PM
The best would to see this ball on the Deerfoot - car polo?

edit: this thing has traveled all over the world with Calgary being only 1 of 3 Canadian stops, Google image search (https://www.google.ca/search?q=red+ball+project&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjavei4k93UAhUG7GMKHb0_D9wQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=770).

D'z Nutz
06-26-2017, 10:46 PM
I stumbled upon it during my ride this morning.

http://i.imgur.com/vmilIhh.jpg

They should put that thing in the middle of the blue ring haha

schurchill39
06-27-2017, 07:56 AM
So from what I gather its just a big annoying art project?

mazdavirgin
06-27-2017, 08:08 AM
So from what I gather its just a big annoying art project?

I don't get how they can block the cycle path like that and people are cool with it... Hell they take away lanes on the road when they are doing construction on 12th because nothing can disrupt the cycle path. Low and behold though you can put a giant ball in the middle and no one cares. Shits so stupid.

Apparently it's part of the brilliant city of calgary canada day 150th celebration. :facepalm:

jacky4566
06-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Like it or hate it. Its getting talked about. Seems like our Art department is more focused with creating controversy which I think is kind of interesting. You can take any 6 random people in Canada and I bet 3 of them know about the Blue ring.

How many other art installations can do that?

killramos
06-27-2017, 08:53 AM
They heard about Wynne's duck and had to one up them on stupid.

Can they put it in the middle of a bike lane next?

G
06-27-2017, 09:51 AM
I don't get how they can block the cycle path like that and people are cool with it... Hell they take away lanes on the road when they are doing construction on 12th because nothing can disrupt the cycle path. Low and behold though you can put a giant ball in the middle and no one cares. Shits so stupid.

Apparently it's part of the brilliant city of calgary canada day 150th celebration. :facepalm:

Just wait till this weekend with the Canada Day celebrations. It usually is already a zoo down there without the ball or it being Canada Day on a Saturday.

dirtsniffer
06-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Did they just need to put the ball somewhere until the giant clown arrives?

kenny
06-27-2017, 10:36 AM
It moves around daily. On Canada Day it will be at Olympic Plaza.

rage2
06-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Like it or hate it. Its getting talked about. Seems like our Art department is more focused with creating controversy which I think is kind of interesting. You can take any 6 random people in Canada and I bet 3 of them know about the Blue ring.

How many other art installations can do that?
CanadaCreep's twitter comes to mind. 17k people considered that good art. :rofl:

killramos
06-27-2017, 11:23 AM
How far are our heads up our asses that we think 3 in 6 people in the entire country have heard of our blue ring?

I bet you 3 in 6 people in the city don't even know what the blue ring is.

Calgary is a statistical spec in the face of Canada lol

Xtrema
06-27-2017, 11:45 AM
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/06/05/giant-rubber-duck-creators-in-a-row-over-toronto-bound-tourist-attraction.html

Toronto get a duck, we get a ball.

J-hop
06-27-2017, 12:18 PM
How far are our heads up our asses that we think 3 in 6 people in the entire country have heard of our blue ring?

I bet you 3 in 6 people in the city don't even know what the blue ring is.

Calgary is a statistical spec in the face of Canada lol

Was going to say, most calgarians have no idea what your talking about when you mention the blue ring. I didn't even realize it was an art piece for the longest time, I just thought it was an odd lamppost and ignored it

Xtrema
06-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Was going to say, most calgarians have no idea what your talking about when you mention the blue ring. I didn't even realize it was an art piece for the longest time, I just thought it was an odd lamppost and ignored it

If have to say that 50% of people I meet don't keep up with news. They know work, they know their kid's extracurricular schedule and that's it and ignore everything else.

speedog
06-27-2017, 11:40 PM
haha, what the fuck... are they just sticking it places to annoy people! lol

http://wpmedia.calgaryherald.com/2017/06/cs20170626rmredball002-jpg1.jpg?quality=55&strip=all&w=840&h=630&crop=1

So who is stuck paying for this piece of shit beach ball?

EDIT: I was trying to look up the cost, seems to be about 26,000$ USD, plus additional costs for the people moving it around and other setup costs which sounded like they were around 10K. So the city put up a good 50K for a red beach ball to obstruct everybody... way to go Nenshi! Too bad it wasn't purple.

Actually the city of Calgary put no money up for the big red ball - the monies came from a $700,000 Canada 150 grant from the federal government to the city of Calgary.

max_boost
06-27-2017, 11:46 PM
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/06/05/giant-rubber-duck-creators-in-a-row-over-toronto-bound-tourist-attraction.html

Toronto get a duck, we get a ball.lol reminds of the yellow duck from HK

Team_Mclaren
06-28-2017, 12:24 AM
lol reminds of the yellow duck from HK

iirc the one in HK is the real one... this is a counterfeit as the article suggests.

It is actually kinda fuckign sad that Gov of Can cant even hire the right one.

J-hop
06-28-2017, 09:31 AM
iirc the one in HK is the real one... this is a counterfeit as the article suggests.

It is actually kinda fuckign sad that Gov of Can cant even hire the right one.

No offence but to me this kinda sounds like a kid freaking out when the parents replace a lost toy with another one that's "not the real one"

Who cares, even the "real one" is just an enlarged and redesigned version of the "original" bathtub ducky. This shouldn't offend anyone!!!!

Sugarphreak
06-28-2017, 10:23 PM

speedog
06-28-2017, 10:26 PM
It is cute that you somehow thing federal money is not money from your pocket as well, haha

At the end of the day... the city got money (from you) through the federal government, and decided to squander it on a pointless red beach ball

I never said anything of the sort - you're the one who was pointing a finger at Nenshi when it wasn't the city's money that was being spent. Did the monies come out of the tax payer's pockets - yes but not at a municipal level and how do you know that Nenshi was behind all of this anyways, reveal your sources.

Team_Mclaren
06-29-2017, 03:25 AM
No offence but to me this kinda sounds like a kid freaking out when the parents replace a lost toy with another one that's "not the real one"

Who cares, even the "real one" is just an enlarged and redesigned version of the "original" bathtub ducky. This shouldn't offend anyone!!!!

Wut? the idea to blow it up came from someone in Dutch and it's famous for touring around the world. Then some random decided to rip it off, hows that not an issue? you'd think if for a GOVERNMENT to be political correct they should hire the "original" version.

J-hop
06-29-2017, 06:49 AM
Wut? the idea to blow it up came from someone in Dutch and it's famous for touring around the world. Then some random decided to rip it off, hows that not an issue? you'd think if for a GOVERNMENT to be political correct they should hire the "original" version.

Pretty sure I (and every other kid playing in the bathtub when they were young) had the idea to make a rubber duck huge long before the guy from holland designed and built his in 07.

Still not sure why you find this offensive?

Triggered...

kertejud2
06-29-2017, 07:24 AM
"Hey we got a big grant for Canada 150.... instead of putting in some new long term infrastructure or program that might actually benefit our city, let's blow it on a shitty attraction that annoys people"

"Because we used the money on something not under the scope of the Canada 150 Fund, the funding was pulled and now municipal taxpayers are on the hook because some blowhard doesn't know how grants work."

Ineligible Projects
The following projects will not be eligible for funding under the
Canada 150 Fund:
• Lobbying or advocacy activities;
• Major infrastructure projects such as the building of roads and buildings;
• Ongoing activities such as the publication of regular issues of
newsletters, magazines and periodicals;
• Projects that are designed for fundraising purposes, or that generate
advantage or profit; and
• Any activity taking place outside Canada.

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2015/pc-ch/CH24-45-2015-eng.pdf

suntan
06-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Looks like my scrotum with a hernia.

Sugarphreak
06-29-2017, 09:25 AM

HiTempguy1
06-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Infrastructure can refer to things other than the new construction of buildings and roads

Yep, it said "major" infrastructure. A simple revitalization project for a neighbourhood to make a place look nicer, hang some Canadian flags/banners all over it, bam. Way better use of resources.

speedog
06-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Infrastructure can refer to things other than the new construction of buildings and roads

I am continuing to point a finger at Nenshi, he is still spending money that comes from our pockets after all. He is still accountable for spending it on something that isn't a total piece of shit as the Mayor.

Does anyone actually know if Nenshi made this decision or was it made by others?

kertejud2
06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Infrastructure can refer to things other than the new construction of buildings and roads[/b]

Which is why they said "such as" and not "exclusively."

The Peace Bridge was built with a provincial grant for pedestrian infrastructure such as 'a bridge' so it's safe to say there's a no-win scenario when it comes to cities and spending grant money.

kertejud2
06-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Does anyone actually know if Nenshi made this decision or was it made by others?

Why people would think the mayor would be directly overseeing the use of $33K in grant money for the parts programs from the $700K Canada 150 Fund is pretty ridiculous to begin with, but any cursory search and one would find that Sarah Iley is in charge of arts and culture for the City of Calgary which is the department that used the money they were given.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/its-big-its-red-and-it-costs-33000-taxpayer-group-wonders-if-its-money-well-spent

speedog
06-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Well the fact that it's not as sunny as I would like it to be right now where I am enjoying my lunch in Calgary has to be a Nenshi's fault.

Sugarphreak
06-29-2017, 12:39 PM

Feruk
06-29-2017, 01:10 PM
The ball is by the Bay downtown today.

ZenOps
06-29-2017, 01:35 PM
I blame Liberals and team Valor. Blue ball could be taken the wrong way, and yet it slightly resembles a gigantic pokeball without the white part or release button.

01RedDX
06-29-2017, 02:25 PM

SKR
06-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Can't you just stick a knife in it?

speedog
06-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Can't you just stick a knife in it?

I suppose one could but the consequences might not be all that great.

SKR
06-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Or they might be really great. We'll never know if nobody tries.

speedog
06-30-2017, 06:42 AM
Or they might be really great. We'll never know if nobody tries.

Well what are you waiting for?

Type_S1
06-30-2017, 08:55 AM
A lot of people have missed the true purpose of the ball. Nenshi is actually a genius. When this ball is thrown through the blue ring he created it will open a portal to purple land. People have speculated that once Nenshi gains access to purple land there will be unlimited money and bike lanes for everyone.

Not all heros wear capes....

ZenOps
06-30-2017, 03:33 PM
iPPYGJjKVco

Liar! Magenta (purple) does not exist.

Kloubek
06-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Ok, so I believe I have a better than average perspective when it comes to art. I spent two years in Fine Arts in college, and took Art History at the same time. Most of the paintings on the walls of my home were painted by myself over the years, and all are modern, abstract paintings.

Yet, even I just don't get the people making decisions on public art. Between this and the blue ring, we are paying an awful lot of money that appeals to a sliver of the population. I have no issues with and in fact support public art to beautify the city - but I think the pieces need to be a bit more mainstream to be worth their high price tags.

/rant

Seth1968
06-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Ok, so I believe I have a better than average perspective when it comes to art. I spent two years in Fine Arts in college, and took Art History at the same time. Most of the paintings on the walls of my home were painted by myself over the years, and all are modern, abstract paintings.

Yet, even I just don't get the people making decisions on public art. Between this and the blue ring, we are paying an awful lot of money that appeals to a sliver of the population. I have no issues with and in fact support public art to beautify the city - but I think the pieces need to be a bit more mainstream to be worth their high price tags.

/rant

Great post, except art is subjective, and those responsible for such idiotic things as this ball shit, are so out of touch with us peasants that you have to laugh. There are only about uh a million ways to have better spent that money to celebrate our 150.

J-hop
06-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Great post, except art is subjective, and those responsible for such idiotic things as this ball shit, are so out of touch with us peasants that you have to laugh. There are only about uh a million ways to have better spent that money to celebrate our 150.

Yea art displayed in public is for the public not the artist. If your audience thinks it's stupid then you've failed. Doesn't take an open mind or a degree for that matter to judge public art.

Feruk
07-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Man you guys are pessimists. I like the ball... If we have to waste a certain percentage of income on art projects, the ball fits the bill pretty well.

pheoxs
07-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Yea art displayed in public is for the public not the artist. If your audience thinks it's stupid then you've failed. Doesn't take an open mind or a degree for that matter to judge public art.

Or its intentional because our government wants us to focus on a silly red ball and what is actually going on *puts on tinfoil hat*

max_boost
07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
No matter what the government is going to be wasting money left right center lol I personally don't mind the ball. Gives people something to occupy themselves with on social media pics etc.

speedog
07-03-2017, 07:15 PM
So SKR failed?

SKR
07-03-2017, 09:52 PM
So SKR failed?

How are you this humorless?

speedog
07-03-2017, 11:52 PM
How are you this humorless?

Thought you might've accepted the challenge, walk the talk so to speak.

SKR
07-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Thought you might've accepted the challenge, walk the talk so to speak.

Accepted what challenge? I know it's not the best joke writing in the world, but anyone with any sense of humor would have recognized it as obviously being a joke. Somehow that eluded you, and I want to know how that happens.