PDA

View Full Version : Best Italian Date Restaurant

jabjab
06-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Going on a date with someone who loves Italian food and I want to take her to a nice place that serves exceptional Italian food. The more authentic the better. I don't really care if its an old looking restaurant as the primary motive is great food.

Please post on what great experiences you've had.

Thanks!

flipstah
06-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Bocce on Mission has great Italian food. Or Bonterra near MEC.

Carbonara mmm

ExtraSlow
06-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Not the fanciest, but Rea's is great. Hidden gem.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2017, 10:01 PM

Rea's has always been my favourite and I've been going there since the 80's.

Calamari. Linguini and clams in red sauce. Fuck yeah.

cancer man
06-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Pancini by the airport they don;t charge 21.00 for a bowl of spaghetti. Bread Bar.
And for those that don't know Micheal from Reas passed away. Went to the funeral this passed Saturday.
Not a happy place at this moment.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2017, 11:11 PM
And for those that don't know Micheal from Reas passed away. Went to the funeral this passed Saturday.
Not a happy place at this moment.

No! That legitimately bums me out. That guy was so nice :(

bleu
06-28-2017, 07:56 AM

Rea's is a family favourite!

jabjab
06-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Bocce on Mission has great Italian food. Or Bonterra near MEC.

Carbonara mmm

Bocce is good however we have both been there before. Looks like Rea's is ahead of the pack for my selection.

Luna Rossa has also been mentioned to me a few times.

R-Audi
06-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Tavernetta is a new place on Edmonton Trail that is quite good..

killramos
06-28-2017, 09:24 AM
The new place Cotto Italian Comfort Food in Kensington is pretty cool, very nice but a bit more casual which would be my preference for a date.

Food is awesome, former kitchen staff and owner from Borgo Trattoria.

dirtsniffer
06-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Could through La Brezza in the mix, but I am unsure of how they are doing after the owners passing

+1 for Reas

mazdavirgin
06-28-2017, 09:46 AM
All these beyond ballers and no mention of Mercato's?

LUDELVR
06-28-2017, 09:52 AM
So no one is interested in this date and what his intentions are? Is this a potentially long term relationship or are you just going for the good ol' hump and dump and smash and dash? Or are you genuinely interested in the food?

All of these beyond foodies talking about all these little Italian shacks and I'm over here thinking, man do I love those Olive Garden breadsticks!!!

killramos
06-28-2017, 09:52 AM
I always thought Mercato was pretty meh

As for Olive Garden I would be too concerned about spending the rest of the night on the throne getting in the way of any hump and dump plans...:barf:

LUDELVR
06-28-2017, 10:24 AM

As for Olive Garden I would be too concerned about spending the rest of the night on the throne getting in the way of any hump and dump plans...:barf:

Hence me asking if this is a short or long term endeavor. If it's a long term thing, then you might want to give her a preview of things to come!

s dime
06-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Il Chianti on Edmonton trail is our go to.

flipstah
06-28-2017, 11:13 AM
All these beyond ballers and no mention of Mercato's?

Mercato's is alright. It's not memorable though.

ercchry
06-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Might as well throw in some inglewood...

500 cucina makes a mean gnocchi

Sugo is always a classy time

flipstah
06-28-2017, 11:25 AM

East Side Mario's>Olive Garden any day.

Mitsu3000gt
06-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Might as well throw in some inglewood...

500 cucina makes a mean gnocchi

Sugo is always a classy time

Sugo doesn't exist anymore, I didn't get the sense it was ever that popular. It was expensive for very standard food. They also own WOP next door which I think is thriving.

OP: If this is a first or early date, might I suggest not breaking the bank on food haha. Made that mistake before...

flipstah
06-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Bocce is good however we have both been there before. Looks like Rea's is ahead of the pack for my selection.

Luna Rossa has also been mentioned to me a few times.

Looks to be second or third and looking to close the deal. Get it, boy

ercchry
06-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Sugo doesn't exist anymore, I didn't get the sense it was ever that popular. It was expensive for very standard food. They also own WOP next door which I think is thriving.

OP: If this is a first or early date, might I suggest not breaking the bank on food haha. Made that mistake before...

Yeah I'm not overly surprised... it was never empty, but never busy either. Which combined with the service made it a nice date spot.

For pizza on that strip I'd stil have to give it to 500 cucina over WOP, but WOP has a better atmosphere, haven't been in a while but service was always lacking a bit there

TomcoPDR
06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
No love for Toscana?

dirtsniffer
06-28-2017, 12:41 PM
cucina is also good.

msommers
06-28-2017, 01:57 PM
La Brezza is still very good and run by Marco's wife now after his passing.

I haven't been to La Dolce Vita in years, I think they're trying to Hipsterize it or something. Da Guido is also closed. Even Il Sogno is closed. The best was Lumbardo's on Edmonton Trail (now a steak house).

Seems like a lot of Italian places couldn't make it over the last 10-ish years.

There is a true hidden gem in Renfrew in the most obscure spot. They're a very small operation and such wonderful people. I love their food and would keep their place a secret to myself but I really do care about them benefiting from some publicity as a business. It's the only place I time and time again order a vegetarian pizza instead of a meaty one. Look up: Ragu

killramos
06-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Villa Firenze is pretty classic Italian as well, I personally have a soft spot for Scopa as well but it is a bit expensive for what it is.

msommers
06-28-2017, 02:03 PM
I totally forgot Villa Firenze! Their portebllo mushroom appy is my kryptonite.

Danaldson
06-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Hands down Il Centro near chinook. Its an amazing little italian restaurant. Extremely nice family funs it.

the owners sister also owns one up near 16th which i cant remember the name of.

Chandler_Racing
06-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Easy. La Dolce Vita.

Was better years back though...

jabjab
06-28-2017, 03:49 PM
The new place Cotto Italian Comfort Food in Kensington is pretty cool, very nice but a bit more casual which would be my preference for a date.

Food is awesome, former kitchen staff and owner from Borgo Trattoria.

Menu is very limited although seems nice.

killramos
06-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Menu is very limited

As it should be! haha

ercchry
06-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Hands down Il Centro near chinook. Its an amazing little italian restaurant. Extremely nice family funs it.

While the food is great... the location and atmosphere isn't my first choice for a new relationship

jabjab
06-28-2017, 09:52 PM
500 Cucina, anyone been there? live bands on the weekend seem pretty cool

colsankey
06-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Always had good food at La Dolce Vita.

Wife and I love Teatros, it's a bit $$$, but the staff and food are always top notch, and we love the décor. Probably end up there 2 or three times a year for special occasions.

Buster
06-28-2017, 11:54 PM
I know you said traditional, but if you want to step out a bit I really, really enjoyed my meal at Carino Riserva. But it's Japanese/Italian fusion which elicits and immediate and justifiable WTF from everyone.

http://calgaryherald.com/g00/life/swerve/carino-riserva-might-become-a-4th-street-institution?i10c.referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

darthVWader
06-29-2017, 12:18 AM
Portofino in Cochrane is worth the drive.

max_boost
06-29-2017, 12:22 AM
I know you said traditional, but if you want to step out a bit I really, really enjoyed my meal at Carino Riserva. But it's Japanese/Italian fusion which elicits and immediate and justifiable WTF from everyone.

http://calgaryherald.com/g00/life/swerve/carino-riserva-might-become-a-4th-street-institution?i10c.referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I went to Carino for many years and can attest the food is amazing.

Maybe because I'm not that picky but I've been to a lot of Italian places in the City and they are all okay? It was good but not mind blowing? My best Italian meal in Calgary so far is Teatro lol does that count? Haha

ercchry
06-29-2017, 07:51 AM
500 Cucina, anyone been there? live bands on the weekend seem pretty cool

Many times, pizza or gnocchi is my favourite, combine with drinks at cold garden, and wandering around the night market (next date July 14th) for bonus points

msommers
06-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Another thought is to go out to Bragg Creek for Italian (it's quite good) and then go check out Elbow Falls.

sabad66
06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
scopa on centre street is pretty good too

flipstah
06-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Always had good food at La Dolce Vita.

Wife and I love Teatros, it's a bit $$$, but the staff and food are always top notch, and we love the décor. Probably end up there 2 or three times a year for special occasions.

+1

La Dolce Vita is my mom's favorite Italian place. She's not a fan of pasta dishes, but she loves it there.

klumsy_tumbler
06-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Gonna throw another vote towards Villa Firenze. My family has been going there for over twenty years and it's always where my parents insist on dining if they're in the city (although we sometimes deviate to PZA - owned by the same family)

Lex350
06-29-2017, 06:00 PM

Yup...that's my go-to

sneek
06-29-2017, 07:19 PM
+2. Pizza next door at "LDV Pizza" is pretty good as well. Everything on the street is pretty good though. La Brezza has never let me down and same with Villa Firenze. I'll throw the odd ball option and suggest the Italian Club (La Cantina) - but I wouldn't really suggest it for a date. It just has good italian food and never has a wait.

ExtraSlow
06-29-2017, 08:01 PM
scopa on centre street is pretty good too
True story, I like this place.

blueToy
06-29-2017, 11:02 PM

Big fan of Il Centro as well. The owners' sister run a place called Franca's on Edmonton Trail near where the Old Trattoria D'Italia used to be ( 38th ave? ). Her name is Franca :)

Another vote for Rea's, but for a date night go to Il Chianti. Good food, a little more classy.

killramos
06-30-2017, 07:07 AM
True story, I like this place.

Scopa is a great place for a pizza and a couple sangria's on the patio at lunch in the summer.

I felt their dinner entree's were a bit too expensive last I was in but I love them for lunch.

Sugarphreak
07-01-2017, 03:07 PM

craigcd
07-01-2017, 07:57 PM
How are you guys on page 3 for an Italian place that would be good for a date without mentioning Abruzzo?

EDIT: Awwwwwwwww really :(
http://globalnews.ca/news/3277485/longtime-calgary-restaurant-closes-in-wake-of-ever-increasing-city-property-taxes/

Property taxes, I should have know... go fuck ahh yourself Nenshi
http://blogs.transparent.com/language-news/files/2015/06/6.png

I cant find a link or reference but pretty sure Nenshi tweeted with some kind of evidence that their property tax actually went down......

suntan
07-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Wow, if he did that it would've been a massive breach of the Privacy Act.

craigcd
07-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Wow, if he did that it would've been a massive breach of the Privacy Act.

It was public knowledge that the area was going to see a reduction, in addition the property tax for that area hadn't been issued.

The_Penguin
08-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Pancini by the airport they don;t charge 21.00 for a bowl of spaghetti. Bread Bar.
'

Had to look up this thread to see if Pancini had been mentioned. Went there tonight, I was very impressed.
'course they had me at bread bar.
We all enjoyed it. Food was great, service was good, big portions, and fairly reasonable prices.
5 adults and a child, 3 people had a drink, tab was $155.00 And we're all stuffed.
10/10 would go back, though can't say I like the location.

R-Audi
08-28-2017, 08:38 AM
New place on Edmonton Traill, Tavernetta. Great patio if you want to sit outside!

sexualbanana
08-28-2017, 08:40 AM
New place on Edmonton Traill, Tavernetta. Great patio if you want to sit outside!

Drove by it the other day. Looks cool.

flipstah
08-28-2017, 08:41 AM
What's a bread bar?

taemo
08-28-2017, 08:51 AM
What's a bread bar?

i'm guessing like a salad bar but with all types of bread, some cold cut meat and cheese. that sounds good if it is lol.

other than the ones mentioned, we like La Brezza.. although we haven't been there since Marco passed away.

D'z Nutz
08-28-2017, 08:52 AM
What's a bread bar?

When the bread gets too hard.

relyt92
08-28-2017, 07:23 PM
What's a bread bar?

Grille with different types of bread/spreads that you can toast up yourself, all you can eat. http://pacini.com/en/bread-bar/

lasimmon
08-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Anyone been to the place at the Italian club? I've heard good things.

Lex350
08-29-2017, 12:10 PM

yup...this is my favorite as well.

RealJimmyJames
08-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Bread bar sounds perfect if your gal has been featured in the people of Wal mart compilations. Very classy.

max_boost
08-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Bread bar sounds perfect if your gal has been featured in the people of Wal mart compilations. Very classy.

haha

not my thing, along with all you can eat pasta, bread sticks etc.

hampstor
09-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Pulcinella in Kensington... i liked the Neapolitan pizza, which is what they do well but my old italian friend likes their pasta too.

Took my wife there on a lunch date - sat by the front window, ate wood fired pizza with olive oil, and had tiramisu with cappuccino after. Then we walked around kensington for a bit.

sabad66
09-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Anyone been to the place at the Italian club? I've heard good things.

Great food but probably not the best for a first or second date. We went there to sample some food options for our wedding as they are run by the caterers we used (Roma), and food was excelent

lasimmon
09-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Great food but probably not the best for a first or second date. We went there to sample some food options for our wedding as they are run by the caterers we used (Roma), and food was excelent

Perfect, can take the wife there since I have wanted to try the food. No need to impress!

hurrdurr
09-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Rea's was some of the worst Italian fare I've ever had. No one in our party finished. We all thought it was a laughable meal. From the canned red sauce to the frozen pizza, would not return.

Il Centro cannot be beat. Scopa has also been very consistent.

R-Audi
09-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Small complaint about Il Centro... the HVAC in there isnt great, so your clothes smell like a fryer/kitchen when you go home. Small, but drives me nuts.

dino_martini
09-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Pulcinella in Kensington... i liked the Neapolitan pizza, which is what they do well but my old italian friend likes their pasta too.

Took my wife there on a lunch date - sat by the front window, ate wood fired pizza with olive oil, and had tiramisu with cappuccino after. Then we walked around kensington for a bit.

Second vote for Pulcinella! Deep fried Parmesan appetizer is the freaking bomb.

JDMMAN
09-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Anyone tried Scopa? Would love to know any thoughts

flipstah
09-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Anyone tried Scopa? Would love to know any thoughts

Bocce<Scopa<Il Posto

Although I don't eat enough Italian food to have a dependable data source, so take it with a grain of salt.

hurrdurr
09-06-2017, 10:40 AM
IMO Bocce is also terrible... Posto on 8th? Good Pizza - never tried the pasta.

I've been to Scopa 4 or 5 times and never had a bad meal but by the same merit it has also never blown me away. It's good for a reliable meal

flipstah
09-06-2017, 11:24 AM
IMO Bocce is also terrible... Posto on 8th? Good Pizza - never tried the pasta.

I've been to Scopa 4 or 5 times and never had a bad meal but by the same merit it has also never blown me away. It's good for a reliable meal

Yeah, Posto on 8th.

I agree with you on Scopa hence I put Posto at the top, then Scopa.

ercchry
09-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Second vote for Pulcinella! Deep fried Parmesan appetizer is the freaking bomb.

Every pizza I have ever gotten there has been soggy

dino_martini
09-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Every pizza I have ever gotten there has been soggy

Never ordered a pizza there. Generally stick with pasta. To get my
Pizza fix I go to Cibo on 17th for their $5 pizza happy hour