PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Subaru....Extended warranty and Rust Proofing?

eblend
06-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Hi guys,

Put a deposit down on a new 2018 Crosstrek today and was offered extended warranty and an undercoating/rust proofing/paint protection/upholstery protection package. Is undercoating and rust proofing still necessary? Reading online, most people say you don't need it anymore, but some said their Subaru rusted out after some time and the whole frame collapsed....so wondering if I should do any of this or not.

As far as extended warranties, heard a few horror stories of them not honoring repairs, so are any of them worth it?

Thanks

dj_rice
06-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Say no to the undercoating/rustproofing/paint protection and take it to an independant shop and get it done instead. Save $$ as theres no Finance office insane markup

Tik-Tok
06-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Say no to the undercoating/rustproofing/paint protection and take it to an independant shop and get it done instead. Save $$ as theres no Finance office insane markup

This, but I wouldn't bother with undercoating/rustproofing if you aren't going to own the car past 5 years. Our roads aren't nearly as corrosive as Ontario, or Quebec.

tonytiger55
06-30-2017, 08:21 AM

This too. A friend bought a crosstrek. She took it too a independent shop after for the undercoating and saved $$ too.

ExtraSlow
06-30-2017, 08:24 AM
I would never install any kind of asphalt or rubberized undercoating on any car. If you want corrosion protection you want the oil or lanolin type spray stuff that you re-do every year or two. (Krown is one brand).

tonytiger55
06-30-2017, 08:27 AM
I would never install any kind of asphalt or rubberized undercoating on any car. If you want corrosion protection you want the oil or lanolin type spray stuff that you re-do every year or two. (Krown is one brand).

Out of curiosity... why?

HiTempguy1
06-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Out of curiosity... why?

The asphalt/rubberized undercoating can trap moisture, especially if later on a small section gets damaged. Water can get in but can't get out = massive rust.

The best solution out of anything is to simply wash your car on a regular basis. It was the 07 and earlier Subarus that had rust problems, the newer ones, not so much.

ExtraSlow
06-30-2017, 10:02 AM
The asphalt/rubberized undercoating can trap moisture, especially if later on a small section gets damaged. Water can get in but can't get out = massive rust.

The best solution out of anything is to simply wash your car on a regular basis. It was the 07 and earlier Subarus that had rust problems, the newer ones, not so much. This.

heavyD
06-30-2017, 10:04 AM
I just go to wash bays and wand wash the undercarriage in the winter and this does a fine job keeping the underpinnings of my cars relatively rust free.

gpomp
06-30-2017, 10:30 AM
How is the F&I guy going to make his next boat payment if you don't buy all this stuff? :)

ExtraSlow
06-30-2017, 11:13 AM
isn't it usually a hot chick? Sure was when I bought my Odyssey.

dj_rice
06-30-2017, 11:22 AM
This too. A friend bought a crosstrek. She took it too a independent shop after for the undercoating and saved $$ too.

When I worked at Nissan, their Finance Dept Pro-Pack package was $1899. I think actual cost to us was $599ish when we had to send it out. Then they started doing it in-house so that cost went down to like $299. And you wonder why Finance Dept are all ballers

never
06-30-2017, 11:31 AM

The best solution out of anything is to simply wash your car on a regular basis. It was the 07 and earlier Subarus that had rust problems, the newer ones, not so much.

This. I had two 80s cars of the same model, both were AB cars from the start, similar mileage. One is an 83 without any undercoating (factory or aftermarket), the other was an 85 with an aftermarket undercoating and rust proofing treatment (Ziebart). The 83 has surface rust underneath but no perforations, everything is solid. The 85 was a disaster...rusted floors, doors, trunk...anywhere there was undercoating and a seam/joint, I could push through the metal. Even the door frames were rusted (no undercoating but they were "rustproofed"). But the car looked fine from the outside.

max_boost
06-30-2017, 12:31 PM
From now on I will take my chances with all warranty type stuff. I figured all the money I have spent on them over the years it's worth it haha

tonytiger55
06-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Bummer.. so the rust proofing is just a fad?

eblend
06-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I will skip on their protection package, I always tell others it's worthless, but this being my first brand new vehicle, I figured I should double check.

Regarding the warranty, I heard that many times it's hard to make a claim from third party ones, so I think i will skip this as well. I do plan on keeping the car for like 10 years or so (if it makes it), which is why I am kind of considering a 7 year warranty. I don't understand how they can sell a 7 year warranty...when it's really 4 years since the first 3 are under the manufacturer.

cyra1ax
06-30-2017, 12:54 PM
I *think* that the Subie extended warranty is actually administered through Subaru. That's what the finance guy said when I got my 16 WRX anyways. Either way, I wouldn't bother, anything that's going to break will probably break within the first three years, and the aftermarket is actually quite good for the Crosstrek too.

max_boost
06-30-2017, 01:20 PM
When I worked at Nissan, their Finance Dept Pro-Pack package was $1899. I think actual cost to us was $599ish when we had to send it out. Then they started doing it in-house so that cost went down to like $299. And you wonder why Finance Dept are all ballers

Ya man. I need a gig like that.

Not sure what motor is the CrossTrek but those non turbo Subarus should be pretty damn reliable and cheap to operate given it's been the same thing for the last 20 years? Is that an exaggeration? lol
My dad's 08 Tribeca has over 180k now and mom's 03 Forester is somewhere in the 450k range haha Not an issue at all. Perhaps it's different with the TUrbos. :dunno:

eblend
06-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Ya man. I need a gig like that.

Not sure what motor is the CrossTrek but those non turbo Subarus should be pretty damn reliable and cheap to operate given it's been the same thing for the last 20 years? Is that an exaggeration? lol
My dad's 08 Tribeca has over 180k now and mom's 03 Forester is somewhere in the 450k range haha Not an issue at all. Perhaps it's different with the TUrbos. :dunno:

No turbo on this one. Apparently Subaru says that for this engine, 80% of the parts have been reworked, so not the same engine anymore, but close.

eblend
07-05-2017, 08:26 AM
So I dug a little bit more into this protection package, and it's not done at the dealer, but is instead sent to "Calgary Auto Protectors", which seems to be a very highly rated business with very good reviews online. Does this change anything, or is it still a waste?

SkiBum5.0
07-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Doesn't change a thing - pro packs are just pure gross for the dealer. Wash car regularly and you'll be golden. I'd skip the warranty too as Subaru has a pretty solid, long term reputation.

Xtrema
07-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Screw the dealer mark up and go with them directly. Regardless, I think these protection package is unnecessary. Even more so with dealer 300% mark up.

Shlade
07-05-2017, 10:56 AM
isn't it usually a hot chick? Sure was when I bought my Odyssey.

And that's why you got tricked into buying an Odyssey

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Say no to everything at the dealer that isn't thrown in as part of the deal.

Also if it's not too late make sure you got a CCC report and know you aren't getting screwed on price - they should tell you their cost if you ask. And make sure you don't pay any admin fees. The Calgary Subaru dealers are brutal.

J-hop
07-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Say no to everything at the dealer that isn't thrown in as part of the deal.

Also if it's not too late make sure you got a CCC report and know you aren't getting screwed on price - they should tell you their cost if you ask. And make sure you don't pay any admin fees. The Calgary Subaru dealers are brutal.

Yea the one I went to tried to charge me for etching and tire warranty on a used car?!? They told me the etching was "out of date" which made no sense to me. They took those off but they would not budge on admin fees.

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Yea the one I went to tried to charge me for etching and tire warranty on a used car?!? They told me the etching was "out of date" which made no sense to me. They took those off but they would not budge on admin fees.

That's awful. Sounds straight up shady.