PDA

View Full Version : Old car parts disposal

Doozer
06-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with some old car parts if I can't sell them? I've tried selling them but not much interest. I'd rather they not go straight to a landfill, maybe a metal recycling yard or something?

G-ZUS
06-30-2017, 10:28 AM
For metal, I just leave them behind the garage and the scrap metal guys will take them within a day or 2.

Doozer
06-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Don't have that option, can't leave stuff lying around my yard, and don't have an alley. I'm assuming you're talking some sort of commercial garage.

I guess it looks like the landfill option. :dunno:

G-ZUS
06-30-2017, 03:30 PM
Don't have that option, can't leave stuff lying around my yard, and don't have an alley. I'm assuming you're talking some sort of commercial garage.

I guess it looks like the landfill option. :dunno:

there's also a few metal recyclers on Kijiji who pick it up for free

jacky4566
06-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Pickup forging as a hobby?

Dunno about Calgary but the Foothill dump will take metal separately for recycling.

gcoap
06-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Federal metals will take car parts. Anything with fluid they require pan or cover to be removed. You won't get much but it's better then paying at the dump. I dropped off 4 struts with springs a full Subaru rear Sub frame with diff and knuckles two cv's and a Subaru short block and I got$15.

J-hop
06-30-2017, 05:38 PM
there's also a few metal recyclers on Kijiji who pick it up for free

Yea if you have a decent amount you could try calling rod: 403-969-2402

Federal metals will take car parts. Anything with fluid they require pan or cover to be removed. You won't get much but it's better then paying at the dump. I dropped off 4 struts with springs a full Subaru rear Sub frame with diff and knuckles two cv's and a Subaru short block and I got$15.

Yea and I was told no car parts at the dump. Small ones they let me chuck but nothing big. Ie you can't drop and engine block off

jacky4566
06-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Really? Thats almost not even worth the gas to drive over.

J-hop
06-30-2017, 08:07 PM
Really? Thats almost not even worth the gas to drive over.

Yea I got turned away and ended up having to drop my engine block off at Navajo metals

BokCh0y
06-30-2017, 09:28 PM
For metal stuff, you can drop it off at Calgary metal for free. Same with appliances. As long as you don't want money for it, you can drive into the yard and just Chuck'em. I chucked old car parts - hood, fenders, stove, dishwasher, you name it.

I did try calling the guys on kijjiji apparently it wasn't worth their time.

Doozer
07-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Some good ideas in this thread now, but a few days too late for me! I had a carload of old chemicals too so I just ended up taking a trip to the dump on Friday. Nothing I had was huge, just some sway bars, coils, struts. Spy Hill is just a couple minutes from the house so I was back home 20 minutes after leaving. Might have to check into Calgary Metal for next time though.

GTR_Auto
07-04-2017, 01:42 PM
If its metal I have a bin at my shop you can drop off into

ExtraSlow
07-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Any metal? I have a big folding canopy frame that is some cheap-ass chinese pot metal that I need to get rid of. Probably technically steel.

GTR_Auto
07-04-2017, 02:53 PM
if you cut it into smaller pieces then sure. My bin is not that big and cant have things sticking out of it

frozenrice
07-05-2017, 10:02 PM
I've taken two truck loads of mixed car parts and stuff to Pick n Pull on Barlow. Only down side is that there isn't a bin outside. You have to wheel everything in through the building to an area out back of the building (on the left as you are heading towards the yard).

G-ZUS
07-06-2017, 07:59 AM
I've taken two truck loads of mixed car parts and stuff to Pick n Pull on Barlow. Only down side is that there isn't a bin outside. You have to wheel everything in through the building to an area out back of the building (on the left as you are heading towards the yard).

I've seen some people just drop it off in the parking lot and off they go lol