PDA

View Full Version : 2017 cheap beer thread - reviews, sales and discussion

ExtraSlow
07-04-2017, 08:54 PM
After the enjoyment we all got from the 2016 "cheap strong beer thread" I thought I'd start a new one for this season.
Last Years thread HERE: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/399760-Let-s-get-drunk-Cheap-Strong-Beer-review-Unemployment-styles-yo!
I'm no longer going to try to keep it to strong beers, because some days when it's 33c, you just need some hydration.

Tried out the "new" Minhas 1905 beer from Safeway over the weekend and I'm not impressed. They were running a sale of 24 can for $26.97, which is a great price. I think regular price is $10.99 per 8-pack, which is still good. The price drew me in, but overall, it doesn't feel like a winner to me. Didn't enjoy the blue "pilsner style" or the red "lager" cans. Neither was smooth and neither was good. I don't know if they brew this as the big brewing plant in Wisconsin, or elsewhere, the can is not informative. My recommendation with this beer if you are going to buy it is to get both varieties so you can wash the taste from the red out with the blue and vice-versa. Summary, as low as $1.12/can, taste bad

Luckily with this heatwave coming up, Safeway is selling the old reliable AGD for $16.99 per 15 pack this week. I opted for the AGD light because it's going to be so damned hot. They still feature the amazing fruit-cup style lid, (technically known as the 360 degree pop top) which in my opinion is the pinnacle of mans achievement, above the wheel, the telegraph, sliced bread and internet cat videos. Summary on sale this week for $1.13/can, refreshing, amazing lid, buy it.

So all you recession fighters, cheapskates, and just plain drunks, what's your brew this year? Criteria stays the same, must be under ten bucks for a six pack, or $1.67/can.

I don't have a taste-test planned, but if anyone wants to set one up, I'm in.

dirtsniffer
07-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Can confirm 1905 is bad. Had both varieties camping this weekend and wasn't worth it. Brava remains the go to. agd and coop are good. Some of the pc beers are ok. Bowen island has some decent beers too but the price is getting up there.

ercchry
07-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Do Moscow Mules count?

Just loving them this year, especially when it's hot out... but ginger beer prices are killing me, I need a good brand and a place to buy it for less than $2-$3/340ml, nothing too spicy, if it's too hot like that pirate brand stuff then I end up using a ton of lime to cut it and that makes it even more expensive :rofl:

TYMSMNY
07-04-2017, 11:33 PM
AGD or my inexpensive fav, Coors Banquet. Could use one right now.

Neil4Speed
07-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Do Moscow Mules count?

Just loving them this year, especially when it's hot out... but ginger beer prices are killing me, I need a good brand and a place to buy it for less than $2-$3/340ml, nothing too spicy, if it's too hot like that pirate brand stuff then I end up using a ton of lime to cut it and that makes it even more expensive :rofl:

Definitely buy the PC Brand Ginger Beer, 2L for about a Dollar. I prefer it to most other kinds of boutique ginger beers. Get a cheap bottle of vodka and you are set.

I do prefer my mules as "Scotch mules" though, JW Black is perfect.

HiTempguy1
07-05-2017, 09:47 AM
my inexpensive fav, Coors Banquet

Wut? Banquet is the same price as import beers/some of the most expensive beer you can get?

ExtraSlow
07-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Coors banquet is cheap in the USA. I always see it priced as premium here though.

Swank
07-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Do Moscow Mules count?
I never heard of this drink until this year, and I hear about them everywhere now, did they suddenly surge in popularity?

Got a 30 pack of Budweiser for $45 and 24 pack of Kokanee for $38 that come in an insulated Kokanee backpack, those were great deals. Otherwise Co-op Gold is a decent cheap brew.

I'm also still very impressed with these ones, though the price has risen a fair amount over the past few years, now close to $10 for a 6 pack (used to be $8):

https://www.bowenislandbeer.com/home

killramos
07-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Banquet is the only beer I buy anymore. Fantastic all arounder, but agreed not really cheap...

I never heard of this drink until this year, and I hear about them everywhere now, did they suddenly surge in popularity?

Agreed, though I do quite like them on a patio. Saw them for the first time in Jamaica last summer at a resort and the trend seems to have made it here. Dark and Stormy are equally popular right now.

Sentry
07-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Thread anthem:
BB8z08_8uhM

Last weekend I got an 8 pack of Great Western Pilsner, 10 bucks even after taxes and deposit. 4.9%, palatable, wouldn't be my go to as I'm not a pilsner guy really.

Another one of my standbys has been Red Horse by San Miguel Brewing (Phillippines). Less than 3 bucks for a full-pint tallboy of 8% beer. Found it funny the can says FOR EXPORT ONLY, they won't even drink it in the Phillippines lol.

Swank
07-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Dark and Stormy are equally popular right now.
Those I love, I've been noticing them gaining traction in the past few years, I hope that continues :drool:

Another one of my standbys has been Red Horse by San Miguel Brewing (Phillippines). Less than 3 bucks for a full-pint tallboy of 8% beer. Found it funny the can says FOR EXPORT ONLY, they won't even drink it in the Phillippines lol.
My buddy's wife is from there, her family drinks it a lot, got us hooked on them for a while here. They call it Kicking Horse for an obvious 8% reason lol. It's odd that in the bottles it's 7%

Dave P
07-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Have we got Kirkland Beer yet? I think its brewed by Minhaus, but was $22 for 48 pack in Montana

G-ZUS
07-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Laziza $7.99 for a 6-pack

https://www.arezfood.co.uk/image/cache/data/Website%20pics/Drinks/laziza-2-regular-350x350.jpg

roopi
07-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Laziza $7.99 for a 6-pack

https://www.arezfood.co.uk/image/cache/data/Website%20pics/Drinks/laziza-2-regular-350x350.jpg

0.00%: thumbsdow

got_mike33
07-06-2017, 10:58 AM
A dark and stormy and a moscow mule are essentially the same thing, except one uses rum and the other vodka.

killramos
07-06-2017, 11:35 AM
^Thanks tips

bjstare
07-06-2017, 12:17 PM
A dark and stormy and a moscow mule are essentially the same thing, except one uses rum and the other vodka.

Also, I dunno if you knew, but dark rum and vodka are actually pretty different from one another.

canadian_hustla
07-07-2017, 10:33 PM
I'm also still very impressed with these ones, though the price has risen a fair amount over the past few years, now close to $10 for a 6 pack (used to be $8):

https://www.bowenislandbeer.com/home

Just came in to say this exact same thing. Bowen Island is my new go to, just bought another 24 today before reading this thread and imo is the best in terms of variety and bang for your buck. You get 4 different types of beer in one box. Including hemp beer! Maybe I am growing up lol
Source: i used to advocate for cheap beer until i hit my 30's (brewhouse, AGD, cheap pc brand beer they sell at sobeys, black ice, $1/can stuff that gives you gut rot etc) and would rather pay a bit more for Bowen. Granville Island is also really good but prices start to get up there.

wintonyk
07-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Also, I dunno if you knew, but dark rum and vodka are actually pretty different from one another.

Been on the dark and stormy train for a while. Definitely not cheap how I make em (Royal Jamaican Alcoholic Ginger beer 6/$16) plus the dark rum :thumbsdow delicious though.

Always been good with AGD for the cheaper beer though.

bulaian
07-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Just came in to say this exact same thing. Bowen Island is my new go to, just bought another 24 today before reading this thread and imo is the best in terms of variety and bang for your buck. You get 4 different types of beer in one box. Including hemp beer! Maybe I am growing up lol
Source: i used to advocate for cheap beer until i hit my 30's (brewhouse, AGD, cheap pc brand beer they sell at sobeys, black ice, $1/can stuff that gives you gut rot etc) and would rather pay a bit more for Bowen. Granville Island is also really good but prices start to get up there.

Yup, another one for Bowen Island. I've been drinking it since it was $8 for a 6-pack like Swank said.
But now the 24-pack variety is about $27-28 at Superstore on sale, used to be $23-24 on sale. Still a great deal.
I like their Artisan IPA the most out of the pack.

dirtsniffer
07-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Rolling rock 15 packs are on sale at Olympia for $19

ExtraSlow
07-09-2017, 09:32 AM
I love rolling rocks for hot days. May grad a couple packs for an upcoming trip.

heavyD
07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Old Milwaters.

ExtraSlow
07-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Picked up 15 Rolling Rocks from Olympia today, that's a great price. They are also selling 48 Kokannee or Bud for $69.99, which is a good per/can price for those brands.

Also ended up at Superstore Liquor today (because what else does an underemployed guy do? ) and they have the following:
AGD 24 can packs for $25.98, which is stellar.
PBR is 20 cans for $23.98
Bowen Island 24 can variety pack for $30.49 (I got this after the recommendations above)

I have some lake time coming up on the weekend so I'll do a little taste-test and maybe even post some notes. Don't expect to get as plastered as last time because a)it's not strong beer and b)my wife and kids are joining me. Although, where there's a will, there's a way . . .

asp integra
07-13-2017, 12:12 PM
I have been picking up Alberta Genuine Draft lately. Awesome price and a pretty solid beer. The cool full top opening is nice as well! :clap:

ExtraSlow
07-16-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm working on a review right now

Brent.ff
07-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Local liquor store had 'Boxer' pilsner for $9 (all in, with tax and deposit) for an 8-pack... I stared at the 24 pack of AGD for $26, but for the benefit of this thread went the Boxer

I shoulda got the AGD

bulaian
07-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Is boxer pilsner new? I think I've only seen the original boxer (lager?)

Waiting on that review ExtraSlow. I've had AGD before but not AGD light, or that Main Sail ISA

ExtraSlow
07-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Ok team, here's the review. If you can believe it, the wifi connection here at the lake slowed me down, actually had to take notes with a pen and paper like a goddamned savage and then type them out the next day. Getting a little plastered may have contributed to the delay. Fuck it, I'm on vacation.

Anyway, here's the testing procedure. I got myself a snack of "Bugles Remix cheese flavour", because when I was a kid, bugles were something I never saw in my own house, only at my friends, so they seemed exotic. I sat myself in a muskoka chair with a cooler, a pen and paper, and to work.

Starting with the Bowen Island varieties:
Reef Break Hemp Blonde - 14 IBU - Creamy feel, but I can't help wondering if hemp really gives it a flavour or maybe it's just marketing to hippies and stoners? In any event, slight floral note. Tastes kind of similar to vegetable thins crackers, if that makes any sense, and I sort of dislike those crackers. Very nasty when paired with Bugles, but these bugles are kind of nasty by themselves anyway, so maybe I shouldn't blame the beer.

Main Sail ISA - 40 IBU - does have a hoppy flavour, but as you might expect from a "session" ale, it's mild. I kind of hate hops, so this isn't great, and why would anyone want a bitter beer anyway? first sip of each can is too bitter and has too much hops for me, but the rest of the can is fine. These cans get empty pretty fast, so they must be fine. Absolutely horrific combination when paired with Bugles, and that's saying something coming from me.

Artisan IPA - 45 IBU - had a "drying" mouth feel and gives nasty burps, I blame the hops. Once again, I'm reminded that bitter hoppy beers are not my thing, I could have done without these in the variety pack. Strangely, they weren't as bad with the bugles, they cut the flavour really well and left my mouth feeling clean. Kind of like the ginger does with sushi. Man I could go for some sushi right now.

Westcoast Lager - 17 IBU - This has a taste reminiscent of various macro-brew "red ales", and it's quite drinkable. Not in any way a strong flavour, but not boring like most cheap lager. Feel like this would go well with fish and chips, or maybe a salmon burger. Maybe I'm reading too much into it's place of origin in Vancouver. Pairing with the bugles, it was a palatable combination, somewhat odd, but maybe that's the Styrofoam texture and synthetic cheese flavour at work.

Rolling Rock - Like most american beers, this is mislabeled. They call it an "extra pale ale", but anyone from Britain would laugh at you and call it either an "American Adjunct Lager" or more likely, "total piss". Highly carbonated, this is good for hot days and low expectations. It does have a bit of character that the folks over on the BeerAdvocate forums say is from dimethyl something. I don't know, but I do know that this beer need to be cold, like really cold. really awful skunky notes when it's warm. I'ts possible this case was old stock, as it had more of that "off" flavour that some people identify that I'm used to, and I've drank a lot of these over the years. Very handsome cans, and you can feel classier bringing this to a party than showing up with Kokanee. It's a false sense of superiority, but some days that's all we have to hang on to.

AGD Light - From our friends at Big Rock, this is reliably available for a great price. Plus it has the greatest lid of any beer yet invented by mankind. That 360 degree lid operates like a childs fruit-cup, and allows you to drink as if from a pint glass (if you are classy) or just damned quickly (if you aren't). This is a pretty boring lager beer, but it's well done, no nasty flavours, and it sells so well that it's pretty near impossible to buy an old case. The "regular" cans have a little more flavour and I think are maltier as well, but I like the crisp boring flavour of the lights best. I'm not a complicated man.

Summary, if you want something more interesting than the usual suspects in the cheap beer isle, the Bowen Island 24-pack will not disappoint. However, if your palate is trained to boring flavourless beers, you may be better served with AGD or Rolling Rock. I can say with certainty that cracking all six of these before lunchtime while sitting on a dock is a good way to kill some time and get a pretty nice buzz going.

ExtraSlow
07-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Also, shout-out to the Co-op beers as well. I went through some Co-op lagers before I cam out here, and I have experience with the co-op strong as well as the "red ale" version.
Sometimes the regular lager is cheaper than the rest, and when that's true, it's a good boring beer. the strong is one of the better strong beers out there, but slightly more harsh, which is to be expected.
The red ale is actually pretty great. has just enough extra flavour that you may be able to fool yourself into thinking it's classy, especially if you have had six or eight of something else first. It's a mild flavour, so pairs well with lawn chairs and chicks with lower back tattoos.

Someone else should post up some reviews, or at least some current prices.

bulaian
07-19-2017, 08:38 PM
I believe Big Rock makes:
AGD(regular and Light) as stated above
PC Beers(Pilsner, IPA, Honey Red, Light) - This week's flyer Wed-Sun 12 packs are on for $11.88, so 99 cents a can
Co-Op(Regular, Light, Strong, Red)

Any others I don't know of?

TYMSMNY
07-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Banquet is the only beer I buy anymore. Fantastic all arounder, but agreed not really cheap...

Agreed, though I do quite like them on a patio. Saw them for the first time in Jamaica last summer at a resort and the trend seems to have made it here. Dark and Stormy are equally popular right now.

Not too bad at Costco, works out to be about 1.85 per can.

AGD for after hockey. The widemouth is so money.

Brent.ff
07-20-2017, 06:11 AM
I believe Big Rock makes:
AGD(regular and Light) as stated above
PC Beers(Pilsner, IPA, Honey Red, Light) - This week's flyer Wed-Sun 12 packs are on for $11.88, so 99 cents a can
Co-Op(Regular, Light, Strong, Red)

Any others I don't know of?

They do the River Valley beers as well

btimbit
07-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Any more reviews of the co-op beers? Coop liquor store opening a block away from me in a few weeks and getting tired of AGD and Brewhouse

ExtraSlow
07-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Coop beers are good for cheap beers.
Maybe I should do a "big rock private label" review soon.

ExtraSlow
07-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Well, I talked myself into it. Picked up cases three PC beers (skipped the IPA) as well as coop strong, coop red, coop light, coop lager and another rolling rock.
I will look at the river valley stuff this week and may grab that as well.
Hoping AGD goes on sale again.
Headed for a ten day camping trip on Friday, so should have adequate time to taste and reflect on the finer points of these beverages.

aaronck
07-25-2017, 10:12 AM
I saw that PC is now making a "Cerveza" brand of beer, I would assume it to be a Corona like beer, has anyone tried it?

For my vote for best cheap beer, look up...

cam_wmh
07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
What's your guys suggestions for cheap (good?), Ginger beers? Ciders?

HiTempguy1
07-26-2017, 10:21 AM
for cheap (good?)... Ciders?

This would intrigue me. I'm normally a domestic beer kind of guy, but lately I don't mind Strongbow once in a while. Can't stand sweet ciders though :barf: Needs to be crisp/dry.

ExtraSlow
07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
I've never seen a decent price on "real" dry cider. Wife drinks this, and it's usually three times the cost of my beers.

Wandered into liquor depot today and grabbed three kinds of the "River valley" beer, so this big rock taste test is shaping up nicely. $15.99 per twelve pack.

HiTempguy1
07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
I've never seen a decent price on "real" dry cider. Wife drinks this, and it's usually three times the cost of my beers.

Wandered into liquor depot today and grabbed three kinds of the "River valley" beer, so this big rock taste test is shaping up nicely. $15.99 per twelve pack.

Well, I talked myself into it. Picked up cases three PC beers (skipped the IPA) as well as coop strong, coop red, coop light, coop lager and another rolling rock.
I will look at the river valley stuff this week and may grab that as well.
Hoping AGD goes on sale again.
Headed for a ten day camping trip on Friday, so should have adequate time to taste and reflect on the finer points of these beverages.

You take this forced vacation thing seriously :thumbsup:

bjstare
07-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Rock Creek makes a decent dry cider. And obviously the strongbow dry variety is okay. It's slim pickings though, most ciders are super sweet :barf:

ExtraSlow
07-26-2017, 04:40 PM
You take this forced vacation thing seriously :thumbsup: I'm here to serve . . .

Rock Creek makes a decent dry cider. Rock creek is excellent. Another fine big rock product.

Swank
07-27-2017, 09:34 AM
^Those go on sale at liquor depot quite often, ends up being less than a buck a beer, they're drinkable.

cam_wmh
07-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback gents.

brianl-cdn
07-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Duke's cider from Tree Brewing is dry. Co-op carries it, not sure about Liquor Depot.
http://www.treebeer.com/dukes-dry-apple-cider/

I've been drinking River Valley, Red Ale and IPA, for a while now, decent for the money.

kertejud2
07-28-2017, 09:24 PM
They do the River Valley beers as well

Any more reviews of the co-op beers? Coop liquor store opening a block away from me in a few weeks and getting tired of AGD and Brewhouse

Bow Valley is still my cheap lager choice, always good to have in the beer fridge. It and the Co-Op lagers are basically just the old XO Lager recipe, so pretty good for a buck or so a can.

bulaian
07-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Waiting for this Big Rock Super Review! :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Working on the super review. I'm on a camping trip right now, compiling The data. Let me. Be the first to tell you, it's fucking hot.

ExtraSlow
08-01-2017, 08:14 PM
I'm so close to. Finished this super review. It's hard fucking work. Hopefully post tomorrow.

HiTempguy1
08-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Working on the super review. I'm on a camping trip right now, compiling The data. Let me. Be the first to tell you, it's fucking hot.

http://i.imgur.com/KMTOcOD.jpg

Heading out to Penticton on Friday...

ExtraSlow
08-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Ok team, this has been a lot of work, but it's ready. I gathered together as many of the soter-branded cheap beers that are supposed to be made by big rock and got to work.

Let's start with Light beers. River Valley Light, PC LIght, AGD Liight and Co-op Classic Light
Firstly, if you are drinking crappy light beers, you aren't going to be too worried about flavour. Probably (hopefully) you are drinking these because it's 30+ degrees and you need a break from something more full bodied.
AGD Light - more flavour than the rest, slightly darker
River Valley Light - Least flavour, but a slightly hazy look.
Co-op Light Lager - By far the most carbonated, which is good for burping contests, or upsetting your family when you have a burping contest with yourself.
PC Light - Absolutely zero distinguishing characteristics. None.

All four of these are a great option on hot days or just when your palate gets tired of drinking tastier brews. They are pretty close to interchangeable. Impossible to choose a winner. I recommend you buy whatever case is cheapest that week and stop overthinking it. They all pair well with drinking at the day-use area of your nearest provincial park, right next to the "no liquor" sign.

Red Beers, accompanied by that Canadian classic snack, Hawkins Cheezies (made with Real Canadian Cheese!)
River Valley Red Ale - I really liked this one, very full of flavour, and a "dry" kind of mouth feel. Really cuts the flavour of the cheezies and cleanses the palate. Outstanding.
PC Honey Red - Has a somewhat creamy mouth feel, which could be from the honey. That creaminess means it doesn't cut the cheezies at all. Probably want a different snack pairing for this beer, maybe a salt and vinegar chip? I didn't test that.
Co-op Classic red ale - A pretty plain beer. a fancy brewpub would probably say it was quite "sessionable" which I think means you can drink a lot of them. I never understood that description, I always drink a lot. Makes no sense. This variety doesn't seem to go on sale as often as the "regular" co-op beers, so it's probably only worth picking up if you want to do your own taste test or you just like red things.

I'm picking the River Valley Red Ale as my winner, it tasted like a more expensive beer. At least moderately complex flavour, but still approachable. I approached the shit out of it I'll tell you. The RV Red paired well with the Hawkins (tm) cheezies, but all three of these pair well with high winds and a fire ban.

See Next post for continuation . . . .

ExtraSlow
08-02-2017, 10:23 PM
The rest of them.
This bunch didn't fit in the other categories, but they fit in my budget and my trailer, so here they are
River Valley Golden Lager - So they refer to this as "golden" although it's not any darker than the rest of the lagers. Maybe they are referencing something in the malt? Who the hell knows. Not a stronger flavour either. Actually, a good first beer of the day. Pairs well with yelling at your kids to get out of the trailer.
PC Pilsner - Not a true Euro style pilsner, but it does have some flavour, and a slight hoppy note. Clean and refreshing mouth feel, cleanses your palate well. As an added bonus, the silver topped can with blue label looks like soda when you are using a koozie, so nice for drinking away from your campsite, if that's your thing. Pairs well with damned near everything, a good beer to mix into a taste test, even if you aren't taking notes.
Co-op Lager - Literally no distinguishing features. Nothing bad to say about it. This is often on sale, so that's a win.
Co-op Strong Lager - Very smooth for a strong beer, slightly darker than the "regular" co-op stuff. If this is on sale, just buy it, it's not like you are drinking cheap beer to NOT get drunk, who are you fooling? If it's not on sale, maybe break out your calculator . . . .
Rolling Rock - I've reviewed this before, and well, it is what it is. Not a great beer, highly carbonated and with a slight bitterness that any real beer fan will find somewhat odd. I find it refreshing and every time it's on sale, I end up buying a case, or three. Bonus points for this one looking like a legitimate brand name beer, so you can disguise your cheapness at social events by bringing this. Cans actually look classy, although the beer really isn't. If you have to tuck a couple cans of something into the family picnic cooler, this is as good a choice as anything.

All five of these pair well with the realization that you are in a three way race between your bladder filling up, the wasps finding their way into your screen tent, and your wife figuring out that you are getting quite drunk. Luckily with a race like that, there are no losers.

As a point of aesthetics, all the River Valley beers have handsome can graphics, for what that's worth. Also, since they are only sold at Liquor Depot, many folks have never heard of them, so if you want to try to pass them off as some kind of "new and trendy craft beer" you have a shot at it.

Overall, I'm really impressed by this crop of beverages, and if they are all made by Big rock, I'm amazed that they managed to make them all somewhat distinct! I didn't include AGD "regular" in the test because my trailer was getting full, and I also skipped the River Valley ISA and the PC IPA because I don't like the hoppy flavour, cheap or expensive.

Sentry
08-03-2017, 08:18 PM
I was at a thrift store a few weeks back and there was a ton of RCMP trophies for like 2, 3 bucks each. I got the beercan one and transformed it into a Beer Darts trophy for a little get-together we had.

http://i.imgur.com/yuwoXie.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t8LiS0x.jpg

Much was consumed that night

ExtraSlow
08-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Critical information is missing! What was favourite cheap beer?

Swank
08-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Lol, great reviews and read, cracked me up :clap:

roopi
08-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Good reviews. I don't mind the AGD but notice I really start to hate it after having it a few times. Going to try the AGD light I guess. Take a look at this for weekly beer prices: www.liquorstoreprices.com, still better deals to be had that aren't advertised but a good summary of sales.

What the typical cost on Bowen Island?

ExtraSlow
08-04-2017, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=ExtraSlow;4669725]
Bowen Island 24 can variety pack for $30.49 at superstore

ExtraSlow
08-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Spending the weekend at my in laws cabin. Can confirm that these beers are effective. Drank enough of them that nobody would sit beside me. I guess I got loud. I'll call that mission accomplished.

Also realized that my father in law drinks PC beer. Seems like reason enough to stick to rover valley and coop from now on.....

Maxt
08-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Spending the weekend at my in laws cabin. Can confirm that these beers are effective. Drank enough of them that nobody would sit beside me. I guess I got loud. I'll call that mission accomplished.

Also realized that my father in law drinks PC beer. Seems like reason enough to stick to rover valley and coop from now on.....
I am questioning the alcohol content of the beers as being legitimate based on the quality of your photographs and exemplary grammar...

ExtraSlow
08-06-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm a hell of a writer, what can I say?

TYMSMNY
08-07-2017, 12:19 AM
What price range is "cheap beer".... can you guys post $/can pricing when you do reviews too?

ExtraSlow
08-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Criteria stays the same, must be under ten bucks for a six pack, or $1.67/can.

as per first post

TYMSMNY
08-07-2017, 01:51 PM
as per first post

ah yes. Guess the coors banquet does come in at 1.83 a piece.

ExtraSlow
08-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Had a guest leave a few Alpine at my house. Damned east coasters.
Highly carbonated, but somehow not that refreshing. Suggest you drink the co-op stuff instead of this. Although it's a handsome can. :dunno:

canadian_hustla
08-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Yup, another one for Bowen Island. I've been drinking it since it was $8 for a 6-pack like Swank said.
But now the 24-pack variety is about $27-28 at Superstore on sale, used to be $23-24 on sale. Still a great deal.
I like their Artisan IPA the most out of the pack.

Maybe a stupid question but does the Bowen IPA seem abnormally frothy for you? I don't know if i have bad luck or something but every single time I crack open a can of the IPA, it seems to overflow (head) all over the place. It doesn't matter if its a new can, or been sitting in my fridge for a month or if i am at home or at a party, its a friggin mess every single time. I have basically prepared myself for only being able to drink 3/4 of it as i will lose 1/4 at opening. Also its just with the IPA. Not the lager or the the hemp or the blue can

Pro tip - if you have a teal can in your hand you should open in your empty sink and not while you are sitting on your microfibre couch like i did. Contrary to what people say, it is next to impossible to get the stain out of the couch.. lol
Suggestions?

Swank
08-23-2017, 11:16 AM
^definitely a froth fest with those, although I find after it's settled in the fridge for 30 mins or so I just have to take it out of the fridge and open it gently, then I don't lose any, first can I always forget though.

SKR
08-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Picked up 8 Brewhouse today for $12.35. "Tolerable" is about as complimentary as I can be about it, but I had to borrow a battery charger from my neighbor and that's what he drinks.

ExtraSlow
08-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Due to working Tuesday to Saturday night shifts I don't have as many drinking days as I used to. Hitting the river valley tonight. Still effective. Got a six pack of the Jasper crisp pils as a gift and while it's not "cheap" it sure is tasty. Plus the cans look like the old park pass stickers from my childhood, which is cool.

ExtraSlow
09-04-2017, 10:11 AM
I do a lot of my drinking in my trailer and I ended up with about ten fewer days camping this August than planned. Spending today emptying out the remaining cans. Turns out I still have a few of each kind. Will confirm my previous reviews. Currently confirmed that pc light has nearly zero flavour. Pairs well with sitting in your trailer parked in front of your house wondering where summer went.

bulaian
09-06-2017, 12:55 PM
This week's Superstore flyer(Wed-Sun) has:
24 cans of Old Milwaukee or Old Milwaukee Light for $28 = $1.17 a can
24 cans of Keystone or Keystone Light for $30 = $1.25 a can
24 can Bowen Island Adventure Pack for $28 = $1.17 a can

Manhattan
09-18-2017, 09:25 AM
Are beers at LCBO in Ontario significantly cheaper than in Alberta? I paid $8 for a single 330ml bottle of a premium import at the local Co-op. The LCBO website lists the same beer for $3 bucks. :banghead:

lasimmon
09-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Are beers at LCBO in Ontario significantly cheaper than in Alberta? I paid $8 for a single 330ml bottle of a premium import at the local Co-op. The LCBO website lists the same beer for $3 bucks. :banghead:

Beer is cheaper on Vancouver Island then here...

bulaian
10-11-2017, 09:45 AM
This week's Superstore flyer(Wed-Sun) has:
24 cans of Black Ice beer for $26 = $1.08 a can
24 can Bowen Island Adventure Pack for $28 = $1.17 a can
24 can Busch beer for $28 = $1.17 a can

ExtraSlow
11-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Cheap buzz alert!
Trans Canada liquor beside holy smoke on 16th has a sign for eight cans of clear Creek ice for $8.73. Probably not including tax and deposit but still a good deal on one of my favourite inoffensive strong beers.

ExtraSlow
11-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Well my kid is too sick to get off the couch today so I guess I'll watch football with her.
Grabbed eight clear Creek ice and six king cans of pbr for 22.90 after tax and deposit. Had my eye on the AGD but decided I needed two flavors.
Stay classy football fans.

Edit:
Pbr limited edition can has a pic of an evil racoon. Wtf?

ExtraSlow
12-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Well staying thrifty. 24 pillies for $28 at superstore. AGD was a buck cheaper. Bowen Island sampler on sale too.

Marsh
12-21-2017, 12:56 PM
After the enjoyment we all got from the 2016 "cheap strong beer thread" I thought I'd start a new one for this season.
Last Years thread HERE: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/399760-Let-s-get-drunk-Cheap-Strong-Beer-review-Unemployment-styles-yo!
I'm no longer going to try to keep it to strong beers, because some days when it's 33c, you just need some hydration.

Tried out the "new" Minhas 1905 beer from Safeway over the weekend and I'm not impressed. They were running a sale of 24 can for $26.97, which is a great price. I think regular price is $10.99 per 8-pack, which is still good. The price drew me in, but overall, it doesn't feel like a winner to me. Didn't enjoy the blue "pilsner style" or the red "lager" cans. Neither was smooth and neither was good. I don't know if they brew this as the big brewing plant in Wisconsin, or elsewhere, the can is not informative. My recommendation with this beer if you are going to buy it is to get both varieties so you can wash the taste from the red out with the blue and vice-versa. Summary, as low as $1.12/can, taste bad

Luckily with this heatwave coming up, Safeway is selling the old reliable AGD for $16.99 per 15 pack this week. I opted for the AGD light because it's going to be so damned hot. They still feature the amazing fruit-cup style lid, (technically known as the 360 degree pop top) which in my opinion is the pinnacle of mans achievement, above the wheel, the telegraph, sliced bread and internet cat videos. Summary on sale this week for $1.13/can, refreshing, amazing lid, buy it.

So all you recession fighters, cheapskates, and just plain drunks, what's your brew this year? Criteria stays the same, must be under ten bucks for a six pack, or $1.67/can.

I don't have a taste-test planned, but if anyone wants to set one up, I'm in.

I'm not sure how Minhas brand has been around so long. Since day one their beer has always been shitty taste

ExtraSlow
02-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Good deals at Olympia.
Clear Creek strong beer $7.99 for eight pack and mountain crest $6.99 for eight.

I went with clear Creek because if I'm drinking cheap beer or may as well be strong.

ipeefreely
03-31-2018, 05:33 PM
Rolling Rock is on sale @ Solo Liquor (http://sololiquor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Mar29.low_.pdf), 15 for $18.99 if you by 4. :D

Too bad it isn't summer out there... :whipped:

ExtraSlow
04-04-2018, 09:07 PM
I know everyone is excited for summer. Here's a video to get you in the mood.
https://youtu.be/eHRNzj_G7Us

Mitsu3000gt
04-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Has anyone tried the new CO OP Gold Pilsner? Is it like the shitty green-box Pilsner or is it like a good Czech / Bavarian Pilsner? It's brewed by Big Rock like all their "Gold" brand beer, and Big Rock makes a pretty good Czech Pilsner, so that has me optimistic that it's the same or similar recipe. It's half the price of all the European Pilsners.

Thaco
04-05-2018, 09:53 AM
my go to cheap beer is bowvalley, 15 for $17.95 all in at the T&C :D