PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

riced
07-10-2017, 08:48 AM
OK - just about had it with the heat.

Need some recommendations/referrals to a good full-home AC install.
I'm currently looking at ARPI's which seems OK but I know nothing. What should I be asking/looking for?

Any recommendations for a good, affordable and reliable system for these hot days? We don't typically get many days of heat but I might as well invest in one now...

redblack
07-10-2017, 09:06 AM
I used W&J heating, best price and warranty when I got mine a few years ago. I'm sure whoever you call will be backed up for weeks from the heatwave.

dj_rice
07-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Jordan Lotoski has a A/C guy

borN
07-10-2017, 09:13 AM
I just used W&J last week. They were the lowest price, followed by Gavin Rairie (mentioned a few times in past threads). Everyone else was higher price or not as well reviewed.

Jordan from W&J was very prompt to get a unit in for me. He initially quoted me a Friday install, but problems arose the next day and he couldn't get anyone in till the following Tuesday. So he had people come and work on site for bits an pieces on the prior Wednesday/Thursday and finally for 30 mins on Friday morning to get it up and running to ensure we'd be cool for the weekend.

Things to note: slimline units are tough to get a hold of right now. Jordan had to pull a few favours to get me one, also needed it since I live in a detached infill (not much room on the sides).

roopi
07-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Brent at Shift Air Mechanical. I used them for 2 A/C units and a garage heater and they offered the best price and good service/install.

kragnorok
07-10-2017, 10:16 AM
I went through some old threads on here looking for companies to check out. I ended up going with Air Central for my install just 2 weeks ago.

I requested a quote on a Friday morning, had a tech out later that afternoon to give me a quote. Wife and I were back and forth deciding whether or not to do it, and ended up texting the technician back the next day (didn't want to call him as it was Canada day, so just wanted to leave a note saying we were interested). He ended up calling his head office on Sunday, and got me an install for the next day at 8:30AM. We were extremely happy about this as the next week was shaping up to be hot.

The same tech came out on the Monday with one other person and installed the unit in about 3 hours (we had a fairly simple install). It has been working great and the price was slightly cheaper than the other companies we looked into (about 300-400 cheaper).

Can't recommend them enough, Air Central was amazing to deal with from start to finish!

riced
07-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Thanks all!

redblack is correct - all booking into next week for a quote which kinda sucks cause I'm late on this - as is the rest of the city it seems.
Anyway, I got ARPI's, Airdrie Air, W&J all booked for next week. Waiting for Air Central to get back to me but I suspect they'll be next week as well.

Gavin was the only one (Jordon's guy from another thread) that has a potential opening for Friday which would be good.

By the time I get it, the heatwave will be over lol. I'll update with my quotes next week.

88CRX
07-10-2017, 11:30 AM
When we did ours a couple years ago we got quotes from Arpis and W&J Heating. I think Arpis has a really good reputation but they were quite a bit more expensive (like $700-800) then W&J so we went with the cheaper quote. Install seems OK and no problems keeping the house cool like a meat locker haha.

Tik-Tok
07-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Anyone with a mini-split system? Wondering how they like it, probably the better way to go for a bungelow like mine. Seer ratings also seem significantly higher.

revelations
07-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Just a heads up regarding brands, some good insider info here:

This X2. I do infrastructure for federal government buildings and HVAC is a big part of what I do. Being government we cant favor any one company and have every brand imaginable in the 800+ buildings I'm responsible for.

Carrier is horrible I've seen:
-units burst into flames upon commissioning (installed professionally).
-Factory wiring not matching the drawings they provide.
-Old foil tape used(or incorrectly installed) that came loose and shorted out (expensive) control boards.

I'm also not a fan of Trane not because of reliability but the cost of their replacement parts are much higher than others and often is proprietary and hard to get or obsolete and require a retrofit kit that jacks up the repair cost.

York or Engineer air is what I always try and get the PM's to put in.

Darell_n
07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
As a tech I say Lennox all the way. And ya, f*ck Trane. Lol

88CRX
07-10-2017, 01:53 PM
We have a Carrier a/c unit.... and I'm not sure why but I always thought they were one of the better/best units to get?

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Brent at Shift Air Mechanical. I used them for 2 A/C units and a garage heater and they offered the best price and good service/install.

I had Brent come out for a quote. Knowledgeable guy, gave me a good quote. Followed up the Thursday before the appointment, that we had scheduled for Monday, said he didn't know if he could make it, never heard from him again. Decided rather than chasing him down, I took my business elsewhere. Ended up going with Reliance. Sales guy felt sleazy, but he matched my quote from Brent, and the install went smoothly, so no complaints there.

GOnSHO
07-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Action Furnace did my parents and just recently, mine!!

Couldnt be happier with the install, warranty and price of the whole thing. Very professional installers, VERY smart and knowledgeable salesperson. Even ran some extra wire for me just incase i wanted to add anything extra to my NEST thermostat. Quoted and installed with in 5 days..

Chandler_Racing
07-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Arpi's will take care of you.

403-236-2444

phreezee
07-10-2017, 02:45 PM
We have a Carrier a/c unit.... and I'm not sure why but I always thought they were one of the better/best units to get?

I've never had a problem with Carrier on a previous house. I got the Carrier Infinity series from W&J with the 10 year warranty for $100 so I don't have to worry about a thing.

riced
07-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Couldnt be happier with the install, warranty and price of the whole thing. Very professional installers, VERY smart and knowledgeable salesperson. Even ran some extra wire for me just incase i wanted to add anything extra to my NEST thermostat. Quoted and installed with in 5 days..

Just requested an appt online for Action Furnace. So far I have 4 but all are next week. Not terrible but not right away either. No ones fault but my own for jumping on this late though...

Probably because you don't hear much talk about any others. Lots of advertisements are for Carrier/Trane. To be honest, I hadn't heard of any of the other ones that are recommended before.

Just a heads up regarding brands, some good insider info here:

This is great info. Thank you!

J-hop
07-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Good to question installers if they actually know the codes around placement of the units. There are a lot of rules that apparently these companies aren't aware of or at least the front end installer isn't (ie distance from neighbouring property, required distance from fence for property access. I now know of 3 people who have had to move theirs because they weren't up to code and neighbors complained

phreezee
07-10-2017, 03:41 PM
New houses are so close together these days that there is no way around it other than applying for an easement.

J-hop
07-10-2017, 04:07 PM
New houses are so close together these days that there is no way around it other than applying for an easement.

Yea the 3 people I know that had problems all live in the new higher density/skinny lots. You end up in the situation where you either put it in a place that is a major inconvenience or apply for an easement (which I have yet to see one granted).

Shitty though, a company operating in Calgary should be able to figure it out and properly inform the customer before purchase not leave it up to the homeowner to figure it out (in these cases too late) and be screwed.

FraserB
07-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Is an easement mandatory these days? There is about 10' between my place and the neighbor's and even with their AC unit, there would be tons of room if they were offset from each other and the LUB allows AC equipment to project up to 1m into a side setback.

J-hop
07-10-2017, 05:26 PM
I haven't read over this yet but some important info. It's on the homeowner to ensure contractor has proper permits in place
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Air-conditioning.aspx

schocker
07-10-2017, 06:20 PM

I was pretty happy with action except they were not able to figure out hooking the humidifier into the nest so it just has a dial on the ducting. They also did a real garbage install of the nest onto the wall which I had to repair. Have been meaning to fish the other wire and hook up a limit switch to get it working with the nest. Still working great in its third year though.

max_boost
07-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Thanks all!

redblack is correct - all booking into next week for a quote which kinda sucks cause I'm late on this - as is the rest of the city it seems.
Anyway, I got ARPI's, Airdrie Air, W&J all booked for next week. Waiting for Air Central to get back to me but I suspect they'll be next week as well.

Gavin was the only one (Jordon's guy from another thread) that has a potential opening for Friday which would be good.

By the time I get it, the heatwave will be over lol. I'll update with my quotes next week.

Yup. Several Beyonders including myself have used Jordan's guy (Gavin). He's great.

canadian_hustla
07-10-2017, 08:52 PM
So i am looking as well. Whats everyones thoughts on carrier performance 13 3.5T (midde range) for 4350+gst? Comes with pad and blanket. Seems at market, but not sure.

GOnSHO
07-11-2017, 09:40 AM
3.5T Is MASSIVE... i have a 2T and my place is 2500sq ft and quite a few BIG windows/doors

ps. Pad and blanket are useless, causes more issues with most post people than it helps.

rage2
07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
3.5T Is MASSIVE... i have a 2T and my place is 2500sq ft and quite a few BIG windows/doors
Totally depends on house, orientation of windows, height relative to neighbors, etc. My house is similar size to yours and 2T was an impossible fucking struggle. A/C ran 24/7 in the summers and never catching up to desired temp (22.5C) and racking up retarded electric bills. Upgraded to 3.5T years ago to maintain set temperatures on the hottest of days. Even with 3.5T, late afternoon when sun is just cooking through all the window it's still struggling and temps go up to 23.5C.

But yea, have other people I know with bigger houses and zero issues with 2T.

GOnSHO
07-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Totally depends on house, orientation of windows, height relative to neighbors, etc. My house is similar size to yours and 2T was an impossible fucking struggle. A/C ran 24/7 in the summers and never catching up to desired temp (22.5C) and racking up retarded electric bills. Upgraded to 3.5T years ago to maintain set temperatures on the hottest of days. Even with 3.5T, late afternoon when sun is just cooking through all the window it's still struggling and temps go up to 23.5C.

Fair enough, i have north and south facing windows and patio doors/windows, no east, and only 1 patio door facing west. The 2T doesnt quite cut it for the 2nd floor, so may ask for the upgrade, keeps the main floor nice and cool no problem though.

Maxx Mazda
07-11-2017, 09:19 PM
We've got central air in our 2 story, it's an older unit (circa 2013) but cold as fuck.

We also have a ventilation fan that exhausts air from the cold air returns to outside. As far as I can tell it's not a HRV, just seems to suck air from the house and blow it outside. Am I right in assuming that I don't want to run this thing in the summer with the AC on?

revelations
07-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Get some infrared window film - noticeable difference in heat during the summer, but still lets in light during the winter.

canadian_hustla
07-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Thanks guys!!!, 3.5T it is! We have south facing backyard and the south side of our 2 story house gets damn hot!!! So I am assuming the price that i was quoted is good then? This is my only quote.

Kavy
07-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys!!!, 3.5T it is! We have south facing backyard and the south side of our 2 story house gets damn hot!!! So I am assuming the price that i was quoted is good then? This is my only quote.

In my opinion that is a decent price for a 3.5T unit but it all depends on the install and how difficult it is. My install ran through an unfinished storage area so the cost was down. I ended up getting a 2.5T for $3800 installed and felt good about it until a buddy paid $3100 for a similar unit. I would have to imagine that prices right now would be at premium.

riced
07-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Just got a quote for a York 3 ton, 13 SEER AC unit. I don't have the model number but it was $3,100 installed.
I'm waiting on three more quotes (Mon, Tues, Wed) just to see how they all compare.

cet
07-12-2017, 08:46 AM
^ I was about the same. Had a 3 ton York, 13 SEER unit installed 2 weeks ago for about $3200 from A&E

revelations
07-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Just remember that bigger is not always better:

Consider this: A system which is too powerful for its environment will reach your desired temperature quicker, meaning it cycles more often. This results?

worse energy efficiency − higher energy bills every month
worse abilities to dehumidify – unable to achieve balanced humidity, meaning an uncomfortable environment and potential moisture damage in your property
a greater likelihood of mechanical failure − you’ll have to replace it sooner than you would with an appropriately sized or undersized model

http://thehtrc.com/2013/why-bigger-is-not-always-better-with-air-conditioning

Obviously if your system is running 24/7 on a regular basis, yes you need to upgrade.

prodigydud
07-14-2017, 11:33 PM
I haven't read over this yet but some important info. It's on the homeowner to ensure contractor has proper permits in place
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Air-conditioning.aspx

Just read this link. Does this mean no air conditioners are allowed in semi detached homes unless in corner lot?

jeffh
07-15-2017, 07:38 AM
No it means only on the corner/end unit that is beside the street, not neighbouring units. You would have to put the condensor at the front or rear of the property. Your condo may have rules regarding this as well.

J-hop
07-15-2017, 11:29 AM
No it means only on the corner/end unit that is beside the street, not neighbouring units. You would have to put the condensor at the front or rear of the property. Your condo may have rules regarding this as well.

Yea that is what killed the A/C idea for us. To be up to code we'd have to put it at the front or back. Back it would be below our neighbors bedroom window which is open all summer, front yard it would look horrible.

jeffh
07-15-2017, 03:49 PM
J-hop, if you planted some shrubs around it and a little fancy section of fence to hide it, it'd likely work out well. You also could get a slimline condensor and itd tuck up nicely to your home. Friend of mine did that on their duplex regular cube condensor and shrubs) and it looks pretty good.

soupey
07-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks all!

I used gavin for my place and my parent's place, solid clean install, no issues to date. even got my humidifier working with my Nest. :thumbsup:

Maxt
07-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Anyone with a mini-split system? Wondering how they like it, probably the better way to go for a bungelow like mine. Seer ratings also seem significantly higher.

I have a mitsubishi high wall ductless split in my current house, works very well. On top of the high seer ratings, you can stretch the square ft/ton out a little more if you go high wall or ceiling mount units. Super quiet, and I can hold the house at 20 C on a 32 degree day.

I just purchased another house, it has a newly installed York a/c on the original Carrier furnace. I should do a disecting thread on it when I pull it all out, its the perfect example of how not to install central a/c, in terms of sizing and application.

Qeeb
07-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know where to find Gavin's contact information for a quote?

If anyone could PM me his number that would be great. Trying to line up quotes this week.

Cheers

riced
07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know where to find Gavin's contact information for a quote?

If anyone could PM me his number that would be great. Trying to line up quotes this week.

Cheers

I called him last week and his last install was actually last Friday. He mentioned he was going in for surgery this week - so it may be a while until he's back in business again. I believe another thread was linked earlier in this thread for his number.

Qeeb
07-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Perfect - Thank you!

riced
07-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Just an update - got a quote from W&J yesterday for a 3T Trane Unit (XR13 I believe is the model) with 10 year warranty on parts and labour.
All in is $3,350 but install is not until next Friday so they're still quite busy. All other places I've talked to (Action Furnace, ARPI's, Airdrie Air) are all booking into August for estimates only. Installs are a week or two after that.

Seems like a fair price!

TYMSMNY
07-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Just an update - got a quote from W&J yesterday for a 3T Trane Unit (XR13 I believe is the model) with 10 year warranty on parts and labour.
All in is $3,350 but install is not until next Friday so they're still quite busy. All other places I've talked to (Action Furnace, ARPI's, Airdrie Air) are all booking into August for estimates only. Installs are a week or two after that.

Seems like a fair price!

just on the phone with ARPI right now, booking for next Wednesday. I'll give W&J a call too.

riced
07-18-2017, 01:16 PM
One thing to ask is how their service affects warranty.
A few companies that I've talked to (can't remember which ones now) have indicated that in order to keep warranty from going void, the units must be serviced each year. If it's not serviced, warranty is void.

W&J "suggests" you service every 3 years but if you decide you never want to, they would still fix and replace parts within the 10 year warranty period.

Kinjou
07-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Seems like a fair price!

Is this before or after their $500 off? I have a flyer from W&J that offers $500 off the purchase and installation of any TRANE AC unit. Little 'coupon' in the corner for an AC cover as well.

riced
07-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Is this before or after their $500 off? I have a flyer from W&J that offers $500 off the purchase and installation of any TRANE AC unit. Little 'coupon' in the corner for an AC cover as well.

This is after the $500 off. They also threw the cover in for me.

oster
07-31-2017, 07:50 PM
Been reading about covers and almost everyone says don't use one as they can lead to more issues (mice, animals), and units are designed to handle the elements...

The_Penguin
07-31-2017, 08:42 PM
It's possible it could lead to a mouse problem, also, have to really remember to take it off before turning on the breakers and switching to cool mode.

We leave ours at the end of the season, as our neighbors have several of those super tall Aspens, and we get a ton of leaves in it if we don't.

Prelude_dude
08-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Do you mind me asking how big your place is?

My house is only 1500ish square feet; i wonder if i can get away with a smaller unit?

roopi
08-02-2017, 02:56 PM

My house is only 1500ish square feet; i wonder if i can get away with a smaller unit?

I'm using a 2.5 ton unit per floor (1500 sq per floor). You would need a 2.5 to 3 ton unit depending on windows/direction etc.

OTown
08-02-2017, 07:12 PM

I recently got a single 2.5ton unit installed for 2 above ground floors equaling roughly 1400sq/ft total

colsankey
04-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Ressurecting for the 2018 season.

Is W&J many of you are speaking about wandjheating.net?

Had action furnace in for a quote, and they quoted $3750 for a 2T Goodman unit. Includes: 10Y parts and labour, install, breaker, concrete pad, gas meter vent extension, hail guard, electrical permit and was after a $600 early season discount. House is two stories, 1200 sqr feet with 3 decent sized south facing windows.

Seems a little high so I'll get some comparisons, but reviews on Goodmans AC unit's also seem all over the place. Seeing everything from "best bang for the buck" to horror stories of them breaking down after 3 months. Even if parts and labour is included, if it breaks down when it's hot as balls, I don't consider that a win.

Any thoughts?

The_Rural_Juror
04-22-2018, 04:31 PM
I used Harmony Heating and AC for a bunch of work in the past little while and they were good to work with. Lennox only though if that is an issue.

riced
04-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Ressurecting for the 2018 season.

Is W&J many of you are speaking about wandjheating.net?

Had action furnace in for a quote, and they quoted $3750 for a 2T Goodman unit. Includes: 10Y parts and labour, install, breaker, concrete pad, gas meter vent extension, hail guard, electrical permit and was after a $600 early season discount. House is two stories, 1200 sqr feet with 3 decent sized south facing windows.

Seems a little high so I'll get some comparisons, but reviews on Goodmans AC unit's also seem all over the place. Seeing everything from "best bang for the buck" to horror stories of them breaking down after 3 months. Even if parts and labour is included, if it breaks down when it's hot as balls, I don't consider that a win.

Any thoughts?

It would be this http://www.wandjheating.ca/

That does seem a bit high for your house.
In comparison - mine was $3350 all in. My house is 2100 sq ft.
Trane XR13 3T unit. Worked beautifully last year.

I did get it during the "high" season when it was super hot so perhaps if you give them a call now, they might have early specials.

schocker
04-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Action Furnace was higher than W&J when I did mine as well with a slightly smaller unit. I used them, but from others experience, would probably go with W&J the next time.
My goodman hasn't had any issues, (Installed 2015) though I haven't started it up this year.

G-ZUS
04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Do any of these companies/guys do garage heaters as well?

The_Rural_Juror
04-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Do any of these companies/guys do garage heaters as well?

Harmony does. Only Reznor though. Want to go in a group buy? I may be able to be convinced to get one if the price is reasonable.

G-ZUS
04-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Harmony does. Only Reznor though. Want to go in a group buy? I may be able to be convinced to get one if the price is reasonable.

I may be interested but not looking to get it done asap as I have a water leak to fix first

realazy
04-23-2018, 02:07 PM

What is considered a reasonable price?

2Legit2Quit
07-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Bump bump

Bought a new to us house a few months ago, hot enough to actually need AC now, no bueno...just mildly cool air but not cold.

Had a guy from Arpi's out earlier today, said I need a new evaporator coil as the current one is leaking and quoted me just under $1600 for it, or a band-aid fix using some sealant but might only get a couple years of use out of it.

So I declined both, would rather buy a new evap coil than have the bandaid fix eventually go and have to buy more refrigerant coolent, which is also expensive as fuck.

Going off the specs he gave me and wrote up in the work order, can I just buy the coil myself and find a guy to install?

This seems to be what I think I would need barring I open up the furnace panel and measure - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N4CQBVN/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YBMN4QEOWFKS

Anyone know a guy that could do the work if I buy the part?

vengie
07-28-2020, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know the average cost of an AC unit install to cover approximately 2000sqft?

The_Rural_Juror
07-28-2020, 03:15 PM
That is quite open ended. Maybe $5k? You should start a group buy for this to get it down to $4k.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2020, 03:23 PM
My AC unit is starting to make an awful clattering noise when it cycles off. Appears to be working fine still, but it's getting old-ish. 10 years? Wonder if the people from W&J can inspect it when they come to clean my HVAC system.

pheoxs
07-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know the average cost of an AC unit install to cover approximately 2000sqft?

1) Only A/C the bedroom
2) Rest of the house is hot while bedroom is nice temp
3) Relocate to bedroom with wife because its too hot elsewhere
4) ???
5) Dammit, another kid

vengie
07-28-2020, 03:39 PM
1) Only A/C the bedroom
2) Rest of the house is hot while bedroom is nice temp
3) Relocate to bedroom with wife because its too hot elsewhere
4) ???
5) Dammit, another kid

This is our problem right now...
We have two vented units in the bedrooms, but to invest in a 3rd for the next kid is crazy.
Rather sell them all and AC the entire house.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2020, 03:45 PM
My whole-home AC is so efficient in the master bedroom that it gets down to 14c while it's cooling the rest of the house to 20c. No sexy times at 14c I tells ya

vengie
07-28-2020, 03:56 PM
My whole-home AC is so efficient in the master bedroom that it gets down to 14c while it's cooling the rest of the house to 20c. No sexy times at 14c I tells ya

Challenge accepted.

dj_rice
07-28-2020, 03:57 PM
28C inside temp in my house. Should I get A/C?

jwslam
07-28-2020, 03:58 PM
shrinkage is real

bjstare
07-28-2020, 04:16 PM

Mine was around that, and it was well under $4k. Used W&J. If you (or anyone else reading this) goes with W&J, lmk and I'll say I referred you and we can split the referral cheque.

This is our problem right now...
We have two vented units in the bedrooms, but to invest in a 3rd for the next kid is crazy.
Rather sell them all and AC the entire house.

We had one standalone unit for an upstairs bedroom and decided to switch to central this year. So far, our year over year power consumption is lower with the full house... probably attributable to the fact that we pretty much had to run the single bedroom 24/7 and our central A/C runs way less than that (obviously).

I would never use/recommend a single room unit again.

sabad66
07-28-2020, 04:30 PM

probably around $4k fully installed with some of the cheaper companies like W&J.

vengie
07-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Mine was around that, and it was well under $4k. Used W&J. If you (or anyone else reading this) goes with W&J, lmk and I'll say I referred you and we can split the referral cheque.

We had one standalone unit for an upstairs bedroom and decided to switch to central this year. So far, our year over year power consumption is lower with the full house... probably attributable to the fact that we pretty much had to run the single bedroom 24/7 and our central A/C runs way less than that (obviously).

I would never use/recommend a single room unit again.

Thanks for this!
We are too far into the year to worry now. Maybe try to find a mid winter or early spring deal and get it set up for next year.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Get quotes in September. Then negotiate by email in December like a bawss.

vengie
07-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Get quotes in September. Then negotiate by email in December like a bawss.

Get out of my head!!
But this was pretty much exactly my plan. Lol

ExtraSlow
07-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Get out of my head!!

I am in everyone's heads.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-28-2020, 05:06 PM
W&J is still advertising their $500-off deal they had in the spring... maybe that's just regular price now, haha. At any rate, they do a good job (I've had then install two units in a month, thanks hailstorm!) and their Trane units seem to be quite good.

The_Rural_Juror
07-28-2020, 05:34 PM
Challenge accepted.

Quite the confidence. I hope you are his type.

- - - Updated - - -

Get out of my head!!

I have attempted that plan a few times. Never made a difference as they are busy with heating season and a/c inventory is low.

- - - Updated - - -

28C inside temp in my house. Should I get A/C?

No. Get a Trackhawk.

- - - Updated - - -

I am in everyone's heads.

Zombie...zombie..zom..bee..e...eee

Darell_n
07-28-2020, 06:34 PM
My AC unit is starting to make an awful clattering noise when it cycles off. Appears to be working fine still, but it's getting old-ish. 10 years? Wonder if the people from W&J can inspect it when they come to clean my HVAC system.

It sounds like a scroll compressor. They rely on a check valve on their discharge line to prevent the compressor from spinning backwards due to pressure differential when de-engergized. Quite normal to have a clatter sound for a second each time, as long as it stops rattling it’s all good.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2020, 08:28 PM
It's just a heck of a lot louder than it was previously. I'm sure it's whatever is cheapest, because this was a bargain basement Payne brand unit that was much cheaper than reputable brands if I recall correctly.

Darell_n
07-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Typical scroll sound. Normal for an aged pump, doesn't indicate anything wrong with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfvy-s42TAU

revelations
07-28-2020, 10:25 PM
^ so nice to have home appliance experts on board here. Not just cars!

nagooro
07-29-2020, 07:11 AM
Well, finally need some AC in the house.

Can someone PM me Gavins contact info? Will get a quote from Arpi's, action furnace, and W&J as well.

I have a 2400sqft home, any idea what I should be looking for in terms of price and size (ie. ton)? Brands to avoid?

revelations
07-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Well, finally need some AC in the house.

Can someone PM me Gavins contact info? Will get a quote from Arpi's, action furnace, and W&J as well.

I have a 2400sqft home, any idea what I should be looking for in terms of price and size (ie. ton)? Brands to avoid?

I think this has been posted a few times every year, so let me reiterate:

- AC for the average home is 5-6k
- you need a furnace fan that can handle the high loads - upgrading JUST the fan is possible but this is about 1000$
- you need a plenum/duct that is BIG enough to handle the coil
- tinting south facing windows helps quite a bit (IR reflective tint)
- upgrading roof venting can help A LOT in the upstairs area, some have gone with powered gable vents with good results
- cheaper AC units are quite a bit noisier
- you will need a compatible thermostat as well (or installer can handle this)

Sizing a unit depends on a few factors, but thats more to the experts.

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2020, 11:31 AM
I used Caloris and he was awesome. Apparently he does all the work for my builder. $4650 installed for a Lennox Elite 3ton for ~2500 sqft total living space.

FWIW he won't install Carrier units anymore due to too many warranty issues, that's just what he told me. Every guy probably has their horror stories though.

The quieter units are a lot bigger, just keep that in mind.

It was basically $3650 entry level, $4650 mid-range, and $5600 for the best AC unit Lennox makes. Those are all installed prices for 3ton units including evaporator coil, circuit breakers, and a winter cover.

rx7boi
07-29-2020, 11:58 AM
What's the energy usage of central AC compared to running a portable AC unit?

killramos
07-29-2020, 12:14 PM
I’m not convinced that my central AC really makes a material dent in my electricity bill.

88CRX
07-29-2020, 12:21 PM
I’m not convinced that my central AC really makes a material dent in my electricity bill.

Thats because it doesn't. It cools down so much here at night (usually) that most people only run the a/c for a couple hours after work/before bed.

colsankey
07-29-2020, 12:23 PM

A lot of that will depend on the size of the unit, the model and efficiency of your furnace blower motor, etc.

For me if was never about efficiency. Most of those portable units are only rated for 600-800 sqr feet. Getting rid of the giant lump stand up unit and adequate coverage for the whole 1200 sqr feet was more than worth the investment.

killramos
07-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Thats because it doesn't. It cools down so much here at night (usually) that most people only run the a/c for a couple hours after work/before bed.

Pretty much. There are maybe a handful of days a year where my AC use isn’t to cool the house down for 30 minutes before bed.

roopi
07-29-2020, 12:31 PM
My main floor A/C unit might run for 1-2 hours a day but my upper floor unit will run for a 3-4 hours per day (very open floor plan from main to upper floor. My guess is an additional $20-$30 a month on average through the year. I run my A/C from March/April to Sept/Oct.

pheoxs
07-29-2020, 12:53 PM

Especially if you have timers set nicely. No point cooling the house during the day when no ones home. Kick it in around 430 and then by 9 it should be cool enough to coast through the night without it.

sabad66
07-29-2020, 12:55 PM
I'm surprised so many people only run their central A/C before bed.

I take full advantage of mine... basically as soon as we have the weather hit 20* (late March/early April), i flip the breaker on and then set my thermostat to auto heat/cool. It runs a lot during the day especially once June hits. I'd estimate it's about an extra $30 electricity per month but totally worth it. I'd pay an extra $100 per month for it if i had to.

killramos
07-29-2020, 12:56 PM
I have my AC “on” all day long. With a 23C set point it essentially never runs on until 8pm when I drop the set point to 20 to sleep.

My house doesn’t heat up at all until around 5-6pm when the sun is glaring on our west frontage.

roopi
07-29-2020, 01:05 PM
I have my AC “on” all day long. With a 23C set point it essentially never runs on until 8pm when I drop the set point to 20 to sleep.

My house doesn’t heat up at all until around 5-6pm when the sun is glaring on our west frontage.

So does your house reach 23 degrees before 8pm?

killramos
07-29-2020, 01:08 PM
So does your house reach 23 degrees before 8pm?

Only on the hottest days of the year. Yesterday comes to mind.

I run my furnace fan 15 minutes an hour to pump cold air from the basement around the house which handles the majority of my cooling needs.

This is in my current bungalow, my AC ran far more in my 2 story duplex with west facing skylights. Got super toasty on my top floor in the summer.

dj_rice
07-29-2020, 01:22 PM
My furnace is from 2000. Mid effiency. Would they just add A/C existing to this or do I have to get a new furnace as well

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2020, 01:25 PM

Too small to notice. For us, it blends in with the slight fluctuations of the overall energy use month-to-month and is impossible to tell. Our A/C is running a fair bit, several hours per day for sure but we like it quite cold (19-ish). When it's not running I am usually running the HRV or furnace fan just to move the cool air around.

I used to run two 13,000 BTU portable units in my condo for over 12hr/day and it was maybe $10/mo that I could notice.

Efficiency is always a much lower priority to comfort IMO. The cost is so low compared to the benefit received it's not even a consideration for most people I don't think.