PDA

View Full Version : 2017/2018 Ski and Snowboard Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dave P
07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
hahaha Trailers already coming out.

This trailer was better than Ruin and Rose.

iscVm7fqEoo

asp integra
07-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this! Haven't even gone on summer vacation yet!

Looks 4598% better than ruin and rose which imho was the worst thing I have ever seen. At least they poked some fun at themselves with this trailer vs that super serious pos last year.

g-m
07-12-2017, 12:21 PM
The god damn sand movie was awful. Can't wait to go ski!

asp integra
08-08-2017, 11:25 AM
TGR trailer just dropped

https://youtu.be/sjKkVWWGzBA

jacky4566
08-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Bought a mountain collective again. Should get good use locally plus a three day trip to Jackson H (that pays for it right there).
Also I see that Niseko is on the card this year, maybe ill have to do another Japow trip, anyone down?

Mys73ri0
08-14-2017, 06:40 PM
anyone else watching Torstein vlog?

https://www.youtube.com/user/steinbits

g-m
08-17-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm headed back to Japan in Feb!

D'z Nutz
08-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Is this supposed to be their warehouse sale?

https://www.sourceboards.com/summer-sale.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=giant-winter-sale&utm_source=newsletter

adidas
09-03-2017, 09:15 PM
I'm headed back to Japan in Feb!

How much does a trip like that typically cost?

g-m
09-05-2017, 07:43 PM
You can keep it cheaper but I like to feed and drink to my heart's content. 3-5k for 10-23 days. There are sometimes flight deals for like 6-800$ but it's like 20+ travel hours each way. My vacation days are worth more than the delta

asp integra
09-28-2017, 02:58 PM
http://www.freshtival.ca/

Anyone going to Freshtival?

sl888
10-09-2017, 02:23 AM
My Canadian Lift Passes came in on Friday! Booked my Xmas vacation at Revy, Big White and Sun Peaks!

7fSfhxsbVHo

g-m
10-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Going tomorrow night at 7. I have to miss this weekend for a family reunion in Winnipeg :/

RickDaTuner
10-15-2017, 02:08 PM
So I'm trying to get a FB group going for setting up car pooling, meets, and a buy/sell marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485426214872072/

looks like its going to be an early start to this season, from the pictures I am seeing at sunshine and norquay.

jacky4566
10-15-2017, 02:14 PM
So I'm trying to get a FB group going for setting up car pooling, meets, and a buy/sell marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485426214872072/

looks like its going to be an early start to this season, from the pictures I am seeing at sunshine and norquay.

We already have 403 Boardz. They are fairly active with ride sharing during the season
https://www.facebook.com/groups/403BoardBuddz/?fref=ts

RickDaTuner
10-15-2017, 02:27 PM
We already have 403 Boardz. They are fairly active with ride sharing during the season
https://www.facebook.com/groups/403BoardBuddz/?fref=ts

Nice ok, my bad! joined the group

flipstah
10-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Anyone going to the Ski Sale this weekend?

jacky4566
10-20-2017, 11:43 PM
Anyone else catch Turbo Dojo at Cold Garden tonight? Was a killer film and the place was PACKED!

https://sequence-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Absinthe-Films-TurboDojo.jpg

sl888
10-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Anyone going to the Ski Sale this weekend?

I was gonna go until I saw they charged $8 for admission.

Anyone else catch Turbo Dojo at Cold Garden tonight? Was a killer film and the place was PACKED!

They have a campaign on Indiegogo.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/absinthe-films-turbo-dojo#/

I was at Costco today. Ski passes are out. Prices for 2017-2018 season:
Castle - 2 for $129.99
Norquay - 2 for $99.99
Fernie & KH - 2 for $164.99
Shine - 2 for $168.99
Nakiska - 2 for $126.99
Louise - 2 for $165.99
Revy - 2 for $154.99
Kimberley - 2 for $119.99
I forgot to write down Whitefish.

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Anyone looking into the redesigned/released Burton step ins? A guy I know rode pre-productions for awhile last year and it seems the only minor glitch in the toe-end clamp has been fully corrected for this year's smaller scale release. He's a far better rider than me and he says the responsiveness of these to traditional setup is unparalleled. Tried some on last Friday and they are pretty rad but, their boots don't fit me (only have up to 11 in his shop and the 11 almost crushes my foot) and there's no option for reorder this season so have to wait till next year and try a 12 or 13.....

The plus side is it saves me $800.00, the down side is I was really looking forward to them for hiking. After almost 30 years of it, I'm starting to get sick of sitting and strapping in. Well, my hips are starting to get sick of it haha

J-hop
10-30-2017, 03:15 PM
I’ve never been a fan of step ins to be honest.

When you say compared to traditional do you mean the original step ins or compared to straps?

I personally like the feeling of a toe strap, gives me more feel and leverage when transitioning. I’d be sceptical of step ins out performing the newer bindings with toe straps but I could be wrong.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Does anyone have some 184cm SFBs or similar kicking around they want to get rid of?

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2017, 06:31 PM
J-hop, I mean as opposed to straps. It'll be next year before I get to ride them it looks like because of the sizing but I trust this guy's opinion - he's lived on boards his whole life. But still, they won't be for everyone. Certainly looking to hear more experience this season, I'd love them if they're solid.

For what it's worth, step in has never been good enough before in his mind (or mine) either.

ercchry
10-30-2017, 07:03 PM
I’d be more worried about getting them to snap in while in deep snow (which I can only assume you are hunting for if you’re hiking)

Between clearing off the boot and bindings of snow completely, then being able to have a solid enough base to balance and push down into them I think it would be faster to just sit on your ass and do up some straps... plus then you’re not locked into the whole Burton system and can actually buy other brands

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2017, 09:26 PM
That's a great point to look into, thank you.

jacky4566
10-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Anyone looking for a Mountain Collective pass. They are doing a special AT PAR for Canadians. Only $489CAD. Even if you only ski the 6 free days at Lake Louise, Sunshine, and Revi its already paid for itself.

EDIT: LINK!
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftmccanada.ltibooking.ca%2Fpurchase-path%2Fproduct-details%2F8519%3F%3D%26currency%3DCAD%26utm_source%3DFacebook%26utm_medium%3DNewsfeed%26utm_campaign%3DBig3%26utm_content%3DS17CANstrike&h=ATMnBhffocDO3Xc9HuuUP9xh_WQG4PaWCbqQhR9DSxjH_nSjwEbeDNZc-0U5DF12tc7g5JFXGjLfvnwmVjvLIkvNy69dGIQi3XGmHeLsweldkOBoMwFzWdG1V87xYtxOe-WARhHeig

ercchry
10-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Anyone looking for a Mountain Collective pass. They are doing a special AT PAR for Canadians. Only $489CAD. Even if you only ski the 6 free days at Lake Louise, Sunshine, and Revi its already paid for itself.

EDIT: LINK!
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftmccanada.ltibooking.ca%2Fpurchase-path%2Fproduct-details%2F8519%3F%3D%26currency%3DCAD%26utm_source%3DFacebook%26utm_medium%3DNewsfeed%26utm_campaign%3DBig3%26utm_content%3DS17CANstrike&h=ATMnBhffocDO3Xc9HuuUP9xh_WQG4PaWCbqQhR9DSxjH_nSjwEbeDNZc-0U5DF12tc7g5JFXGjLfvnwmVjvLIkvNy69dGIQi3XGmHeLsweldkOBoMwFzWdG1V87xYtxOe-WARhHeig

That’s not a phishing site? If it’s legit then it’s almost worth it at that price... better than buying both a sunshine and Louise card

Rocket1k78
10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Anyone looking into the redesigned/released Burton step ins? A guy I know rode pre-productions for awhile last year and it seems the only minor glitch in the toe-end clamp has been fully corrected for this year's smaller scale release. He's a far better rider than me and he says the responsiveness of these to traditional setup is unparalleled. Tried some on last Friday and they are pretty rad but, their boots don't fit me (only have up to 11 in his shop and the 11 almost crushes my foot) and there's no option for reorder this season so have to wait till next year and try a 12 or 13.....

The plus side is it saves me $800.00, the down side is I was really looking forward to them for hiking. After almost 30 years of it, I'm starting to get sick of sitting and strapping in. Well, my hips are starting to get sick of it haha

F you for showing me this! I stopped buying new gear every year awhile ago and had no idea these existed. Im sure these will get hated on because Burton but i want this set up for the exact reasons as you. I started out with the old Switch step ins and loved them because it was super easy to strap in but when i got good i switched out because they were frowned up lol Step in plus Boas are a win win imo.

For anyone looking for some cheap passes to sunshine, check out kijiji. I think stars lottery had some prize packs of a lift ticket and a $25 gift card to the hill so people are listing them, managed to snag 2 for a total of $115.

jacky4566
10-31-2017, 01:45 PM
That’s not a phishing site? If it’s legit then it’s almost worth it at that price... better than buying both a sunshine and Louise card

Nope came from the regular email junk. Here is the email ad.
http://contentz.mkt7584.com/ra/2017/38665/10/31340807/TMC_11847_17_Canadian_Collective_Strike_Email2_875x540.jpg

sl888
10-31-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm going straight to the Mountain Collective website and it's still $628.03 CAD. How do I get the special price without using that link?

Sunshine cards are $10 off today on their website.

EDIT: Deal is legit. Just emailed Mountain Collective. Price is $382 USD. If you don't wanna use the Facebook link use the following: https://tmccanada.ltibooking.ca
Thanks jacky4566!!

ercchry
10-31-2017, 04:36 PM
I ordered too! So happy I held off... usually that never ends up working out well for ski passes :rofl:

The boys are even thinking about doing a little mountain collective road trip down to squaw, so should be a good year and well worth it

taemo
10-31-2017, 08:15 PM
I'm going straight to the Mountain Collective website and it's still $628.03 CAD. How do I get the special price without using that link?

Sunshine cards are $10 off today on their website.

EDIT: Deal is legit. Just emailed Mountain Collective. Price is $382 USD. If you don't wanna use the Facebook link use the following: https://tmccanada.ltibooking.ca
Thanks jacky4566!!

wont be skiing as much this year, so the sunshine is a better deal since I will most likely be going there primarily and maybe once or twice at Lake Louise
https://store.skibanff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1718-SunSuperHS

J-hop
11-01-2017, 06:51 PM
J-hop, I mean as opposed to straps. It'll be next year before I get to ride them it looks like because of the sizing but I trust this guy's opinion - he's lived on boards his whole life. But still, they won't be for everyone. Certainly looking to hear more experience this season, I'd love them if they're solid.

For what it's worth, step in has never been good enough before in his mind (or mine) either.

Interesting, I imagine the tech has come a long way. The only knowledge I have of them really is based on 10 years ago, and they were absolute garbage 10 years ago!

Interested to see if they start making a come back.

asp integra
11-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Anyone been out yet? Looks like I'm heading to Louise this weekend

dimi
11-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Went touring last weekend. Nice to stretch the legs, and a pretty solid base for early November. Massive storm rolling through next week so it's only getting better from here.

Plan for the year was to get to the resort a bit more, as all 20 days last year were touring. Then I looked at lift ticket prices...... Maybe I've been out of the loop for a while but $110 a day :rolleyes:

azian.advanced
11-09-2017, 07:59 PM
as i'm having more days off this winter, i picked up a skibig3 season pass during the fall sale.
it's supposed to snow 11-13cm tonight in banff so i'll be heading to sunshine tomorrow morning.

JordanLotoski
11-09-2017, 08:43 PM

I picked up a couple sets for my son and I the day they came out...I am trying them out Monday, Will let you know my thoughts

jacky4566
11-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Well today was fairly good at sunshine. Standish just opened for some fresh lines. Seemed especially cold too. Unfortunately I had a big crash in backdoor and hurt my tailbone. Board didn't fair so well either...

Feruk
11-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Heads up, Sunshine card is on for $80 today due to Cyber Monday. Gets you a free day at Winsport for those with kids too.

ercchry
12-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Power outage at Louise today... got stuck on the gondola for a while, then they shit down the whole hill for the day... and now I’m in revy without anything... not even pants! :rofl:

npham
12-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Anyone been to Sunshine recently? I was thinking of going there this coming weekend and wanted to know where the best snow is.

D'z Nutz
12-17-2017, 06:18 PM
My cousin and sister's boyfriend went there today. They said it was good. I suspect next weekend will be even better with all the snowfall we're going to be getting.

RickDaTuner
12-18-2017, 06:46 AM
I was at sunshine today, trying out a set of Buton Step On bindings, the snow felt really good today, there was a light dusting of powder over a thick ice crust which made for very fast carving, make sure to have some sharp edges and a fresh wax
Job, and you’ll be golden. Sunshine is making snow in some of the lower portions of the mountain, which is ok I guess...
lots of the higher elevation runs have poor snow coverage, we need a week of 24/7 dumping to get it decent up there.

Going back to the Step-on bindings, I picked up a set from my local shop, someone ordered them in but didn’t buy them, I saw them and instantly picked them up.
They are a size smaller than what I normally wear, but my toes had space and the boot felt decent in the store.
Once I got up to sunshine and had the photon boots on, I instantly regretted the small size, as the ball of my foot was being squeezed by the boots front anchor points.
I literally felt like throwing up from the pain it caused after the first run.
Not wanting to waste the drive out there I tried to make the most of my situation, and removed the footbed for a little added room, I could still feel the ball area of the boot constricting, but it was much more manageable.
Following that, the boots and bindings felt amazing! So much control, and a very responsive feeling on groomers, carving felt so much more effortless, and the board felt much more responsive and pliable.
Previous to these I had a pair of Burton Cartels, and Ride Tridents for my boot/binding combo, which was a decent setup for my all mountain preferences, but the cartel bindings stiffened up the board far more than I thought (Burton Custom Flying V ) because I would constantly fight chatter on my edges, to which I was attributing to poor technique, but these step on binding/boot combo, cleared that right up. Carves are now very flowy, and boards rocker/camber suspension felt like it was actually taking in the bumps.
The actual step in motion does take some getting used to, as you need to plant your foot as far back in the binding as possible, along with a left right foot rotating motion to lock in the front anchors. But it only took a few attempts to get it right.
It’s the same with the step out motion, you need to walk your foot forward after you release the leaver, because lifting straight up keep you anchored in.

My only complaint about the setup is, that after the gas pedal on the binding pack in after a few runs, the anchors will start to make a loud clicking noise when you transition on turns, there is also about a millimeter worth of added clearance which you can feel on the transition, that really doesn’t matter for park riding, but on fast carves that extra movement makes you loose a little edge control.
I also had an issue with the latch releasing in the rear, this was from snow packing up under the boot, which didn’t allow the latch to fully lock, I had my rear binding open up mid run, which wasn’t the biggest deal because the front anchors stay locked in, but it felt like I had massive heal lift, I initially though the BOA cable let go.

Over all I think it’s a great setup, sadly I have the wrong size boots, and wil need to return them, knowing that I doubt I’ll find my size this season. They feel better than a traditional binding set up, and the convenience of just stepping in and going real makes them attractive, with a little more practice, I don't think stepping in straight off the lift will even be an issue.

I definitely recommend them.

JRSC00LUDE
12-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Good info Rick, thanks! I was under the impression that bit of play had been corrected from pre-productions so it's probably a good thing they didn't have my sizing this year, perhaps a little more tweaking will occur after this first year of production.

RickDaTuner
12-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Yeah I think the issue was cleared up as well with the later production models. I was also on the Burton website, and there is also now a recall for the rear latches opening up, just a minor part replacement fix. I will definitely buy the correct sized set when they become available again.

On a side note, sunshine was closed till noon today, as they had no power to the area... Huge dump of snow coming this week, Ill be there to soak it all in :D

jacky4566
12-23-2017, 11:02 PM
Is there anyone doing boxing day sales? Is that a thing for ski gear?

I need a new snowboard since I snapped my Jones haha! Would love another Jones so ill be shopping at Ski cellar or Royal.

holden
12-24-2017, 01:33 AM
I bought a Sunshine card and used the first day free this past week. If I understand correctly, I need to register the card for further discounts. Does this mean I won’t be able to transfer the card? With upcoming out of country travel I might not make it back out so I’m thinking of just selling the card for cheap.

RickDaTuner
12-24-2017, 05:14 AM
Is there anyone doing boxing day sales? Is that a thing for ski gear?

I need a new snowboard since I snapped my Jones haha! Would love another Jones so ill be shopping at Ski cellar or Royal.

Head to Banff, and visit rude boys in the Bear street malls’ lower level, they have last years stuff up 65% off. Decent selection too

JRSC00LUDE
12-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Rick that tiny bit of movement is apparently intentional, might just need to be comfortable with it. Regarding the back letting go, are you sure it was in the fully locked position? Buddy says there are two points of locking and the first one had been letting go - there is a small recall on it and your shop can sort that out now.

Or so I was told when discussing these points this week with my friend.

RickDaTuner
12-24-2017, 10:58 PM
Yeah the clicking wasn’t so bad, it was just audible and you can feel in on the transition, especially for some one like me who has 7/10 stiff rated boot.

And the heal unlatching only happened once, so I didn’t pay much attention to the cause, but I did see the recall in place.
I returned my set this week, much to my dismay because throwing on my old bindings back on made everything feel less flowy, and even though my boot are now well broken in and the right size, the burtons from the ball of my foot back, felt super comfortable.

I’m on the hunt on eBay and other online stores to see if I can snatch up another set albeit a little more than retail, but still worth it. Next spring I’ll be pre ordering if I don’t find a set this winter season

g-m
01-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Had about 7 days at Fernie over the break. Great snow, needs more, was fairly cold

mzdspd
01-03-2018, 05:32 PM
I was at Panorama over New Years and it was amazing. They got 14 cm of snow the night before so lots of fresh powder. The second day it was groomed but the hill was lots of fun and lots of snow.

cam_wmh
01-05-2018, 03:15 AM
Baker a couple weeks ago, when that west coast storm hit, was all-time. Revy for NY, mediocre unless you hiked -- South Bowl, and further south was decent.
Hoping DD opens soon. Already at 20 days.

danno
01-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Anyone at sunshine today, says it’s -12 but banff is -34. Is that even possible.??

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Heading to Big White tomorrow for four dayes, pretty stoked.

RickDaTuner
01-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Anyone at sunshine today, says it’s -12 but banff is -34. Is that even possible.??

That's due to the incoming inversion that going to hit later tonight.

I was there yesterday. Got some nice frost bite on my face, but it was still one of the best days so far this year.

J-hop
01-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Rode revy this weekend for the first time ever. Great snow and perfect temperature.

Had some issues with my new goggles, bought a pair of sandbox goggles at the end of the year last year. Bought them because they were cheap and had transition lenses I wanted to try out. Didn’t work so well in the flat light, they were still going too dark. Also found they fogged up a lot. Probably going to go back to my anon Hawkeyes.

Man I am out of shape though. Body kept giving out and had to take a lot of breaks. Best terrain I’ve ridden in a long time though. Lots of good technical runs and good free stuff

Probably going to look for new boots this week. Anyone have recommendations for flat and wide-ish feet. My DCs are killing my feet.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Big White was pretty epic yesterday, visibility was so so but probably 20cm of fresh in almost every place. Above zero and wet today and still had such a good day of technical skiing.

ercchry
01-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Rode revy this weekend for the first time ever. Great snow and perfect temperature.

Had some issues with my new goggles, bought a pair of sandbox goggles at the end of the year last year. Bought them because they were cheap and had transition lenses I wanted to try out. Didn’t work so well in the flat light, they were still going too dark. Also found they fogged up a lot. Probably going to go back to my anon Hawkeyes.

Man I am out of shape though. Body kept giving out and had to take a lot of breaks. Best terrain I’ve ridden in a long time though. Lots of good technical runs and good free stuff

Probably going to look for new boots this week. Anyone have recommendations for flat and wide-ish feet. My DCs are killing my feet.

Revy makes everyone feel weak :rofl:

For wide feet... ThirtyTwo’s are awesome

J-hop
01-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Revy makes everyone feel weak :rofl:

For wide feet... ThirtyTwo’s are awesome

Haha well that’s good I’m not alone. There was one run near the end of the weekend where I stopped 5 times to get my heart rate down.

Yea actually a buddy with similar foot problems on the trip suggested I try 32 as well. I’ll take a look at them

flipstah
01-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Haha well that’s good I’m not alone. There was one run near the end of the weekend where I stopped 5 times to get my heart rate down.

Yea actually a buddy with similar foot problems on the trip suggested I try 32 as well. I’ll take a look at them

Yeah, Revelstoke is a workout. High af. I love it though.

cam_wmh
01-18-2018, 12:36 PM
We're getting teased, that DD might open soon.

JfuckinC
01-27-2018, 11:23 PM
Cat Skiied Castle Powder Stage Coach today. It was pretty unreal. Ton of snow. First time out for the season lol crushed my legs.

lasimmon
01-27-2018, 11:46 PM
We're getting teased, that DD might open soon.

Hasn't opened yet this year? Haven't made it to sunshine at all this year.

cam_wmh
01-28-2018, 01:20 AM
Fernie was unreal today.

Hasn't opened yet this year? Haven't made it to sunshine at all this year.

Nope. Ridiculous, really.
https://twitter.com/ssvsnowsafety

J-hop
01-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Any recommendations for a decent intro “carving” board?

I’ve ridden park/freestyle boards my entire life. Haven’t been enjoying the park as much this year as last, want to get an intro carving/mountain focused board for high speed and mountain focused riding.

I’ve been riding a rossi jibsaw and it’s a pretty decent all around board although more park focused (hence the name). Been focusing on nailing my carves and getting that perfect line in the snow behind you. Going pretty well but finding above 70kph the board chatters a decent amount and control starts to break down.

I’m thinking a Jones board maybe? Do I go up a couple cms?

As a side note, focusing hard on improving my carving I’ve started to notice how many snowboarders actually don’t know how to carve. I totally get the hate from skiers now, a newb snowboarder sliding sideways does so much more damage to the run than a kid pizza slicing

Nismorphed
01-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Just got back from Revelstoke and have to say it was a sweet weekend. 20+ cms on thursday and more throughout the weekend. Spent 90% of the time on the Ripper chair and every run had pow everywhere. The place seemed like a ghost town and didn't wait in a single line. After the third day my legs couldn't take any more. First time there and wont be my last time.

cam_wmh
01-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Any of you fellas, ever booked a ski trip to Europe? St Anton, Tignes, Val d'Isère and the like? Started doing some preliminary work for going to Japan again next season, but figured I'd poke the Europe idea a bit.

The short; I'm a pow whore.

g-m
01-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Yea it's good, go with some buddies and have strong BC skills. There's some ridiculous lines to be had in the Chamonix/Verbier/La Grave (and everywhere else) BC. Resorts are meh but the lifts get you up there. We did the Haute Route which was also cool. YMMV.

Canada has terrain and snow
Japan has snow and apres fun
Europe has terrain and apres. Europe looks great this year but it's an anomaly. Depends what you want. Heading to Japan for the 3rd time on Saturday... If you can swing France or Switzerland this year, probably worth it

Edit: saw it's for next year. Just go to Japan it's too good.

So much for the Fernie January dry spell. 15 powder days since Christmas and counting! About 50cm between Friday and Sunday
https://i.imgur.com/0CqPd4T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J3t74Fk.jpg

RickDaTuner
02-02-2018, 04:59 PM
20-30cm snowfall warning issued for Banff/Canmore/Kananaskis, who’s in for Ullrs generous blessing. lol

lasimmon
02-02-2018, 07:48 PM
20-30cm snowfall warning issued for Banff/Canmore/Kananaskis, who’s in for Ullrs generous blessing. lol

Plan to head to sunshine tomorrow. I imagine it will be a gong show on the road/at the hill.

J-hop
02-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Louise was great today, tons of snow. Visibility was pretty bad though and it was face mask or frostbite kind of weather

speedog
02-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Was at Sunshine today, -14C but not much wind. Flat light was the biggest issue today but the conditions were fabulous, tons of fresh snow all day and I would dare say that half the people left by noon because of the flat light conditions and the colder weather. The afternoon was skiing right on to the lifts everywhere on the hill, overall I'd call it a very good day because of th continual fresh snow. Yeah, the flat light made things challenging but if you slowed down and hung out closer to the trees where the deeper power was you should have still had a very good day.

MalibuStacy
02-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Anyone been to Nakiska recently?

Went to Sunshine on Saturday. Cold but awesome snow

RickDaTuner
02-08-2018, 12:18 PM
FYI for those who are interested, Burton step on are back in stock!

D'z Nutz
02-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Loading boarding equipment into cars has gotten played out so I'm gonna start looking for second hand roof carriers. Anything I should or should not be looking for?

ercchry
02-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Loading boarding equipment into cars has gotten played out so I'm gonna start looking for second hand roof carriers. Anything I should or should not be looking for?

I really like my MB one... 240km/h speed rating, made by Thule, simple opening system and can open from either side. Lucked out and found it on kijiji for cheap, but even straight from MB they aren’t bad. Have it on oem bmw rails... fits without modifying... but I did end up trimming the tabs down for a perfect fit

The MB decals are also just simple stickers that would peel off... but I left mine on haha

Would also be good:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/calgary/thule-ski-box-cascade-with-locks-and-keys/1332353991?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Benz one:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/calgary/mercedes-benz-roof-carrier-thule-and-bars/1320725434?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

D'z Nutz
02-11-2018, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the info. It didn't even occur to me that they'd have speed ratings, but it makes sense. What's a ballpark price I should be expecting to spend?

ercchry
02-11-2018, 05:37 AM
Fully comes down to luck in the used market... finding a turnkey solution can be tricky and needing something as simple as different mounting feet for aftermarket bars can kill the budget. Figuring out what parts crossover can help though ie. I have f30 bars on my e90

taemo
02-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info. It didn't even occur to me that they'd have speed ratings, but it makes sense. What's a ballpark price I should be expecting to spend?

do you have roof rack carriers on your WRX already?

I bought the Thule Ski Rack with wide load bars to fit on my roof carrier and can transport 4 boards or 3 boards and 1 pair of skis easily.
Drove to Lake Louise a couple of times with this setup even at -30 and worked great.

I bought everything on Kijiji so spent only about 180$ for carriers and ski rack.
Otherwise carrier alone is around 250-300$ from Subaru and couple of hundreds for the Thule Ski Racks.

https://instagram.fyyc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/b38324180ce99feb8dda7a99e8e6ab77/5B11300D/t51.2885-15/e35/17586903_335720946830395_8644491723315085312_n.jpg

this one is not bad if you're looking to load only 1 or 2 boards
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/calgary/ski-racks-mont-blanc-roof-top-mounted-one-pair-width-17-5-in/1330428559

also, since you already have a hitch installed on your impreza, what about maybe looking into a hitch ski rack?
https://www.amazon.ca/Thule-Tram-Hitch-Carrier-Locks/dp/B009AVRMYC

D'z Nutz
02-11-2018, 11:49 AM
do you have roof rack carriers on your WRX already?

I bought the Thule Ski Rack with wide load bars to fit on my roof carrier and can transport 4 boards or 3 boards and 1 pair of skis easily.
Drove to Lake Louise a couple of times with this setup even at -30 and worked great.

I bought everything on Kijiji so spent only about 180$ for carriers and ski rack.
Otherwise carrier alone is around 250-300$ from Subaru and couple of hundreds for the Thule Ski Racks.

https://instagram.fyyc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/b38324180ce99feb8dda7a99e8e6ab77/5B11300D/t51.2885-15/e35/17586903_335720946830395_8644491723315085312_n.jpg

this one is not bad if you're looking to load only 1 or 2 boards
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/calgary/ski-racks-mont-blanc-roof-top-mounted-one-pair-width-17-5-in/1330428559

also, since you already have a hitch installed on your impreza, what about maybe looking into a hitch ski rack?
https://www.amazon.ca/Thule-Tram-Hitch-Carrier-Locks/dp/B009AVRMYC

Yeah, I finally found a pair of crossbars yesterday. $40 off Kijiji! Scores!

But, I load all my stuff in a board bag so those ski/snowboard attachments don't do it for me. I want a cargo carrier I can toss everything into at once. Plus I can use it to load other things and not just snowboards. Besides, I already have a ski/snowboard attachment for my bike carrier that I don't use or want:
https://www.yakima.com/hitchski

These two look pretty good, though I don't know if I want to spend $500 on a cargo carrier:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ski/calgary/thule-force-alpine-623-new/1331325342?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-other/calgary/yakima-rocketbox-for-sale/1317060753?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

taemo
02-11-2018, 12:24 PM
a cargo carrier is on my to buy list as well as it would give a lot of extra space for long drives.

my 2c but I prefer loading my board/skis on the roof rack and using a hockey bag to carry our boots and gears so that they are warn inside the vehicle.
plus if you're staying at a resort you'll be leaving your board in a locker room and bring up your gears in your room.

but if you do end up getting a carrier though and decide to sell it later on let me know :rofl:

R-Audi
02-11-2018, 05:29 PM
I bought a Month Blanc one in the fall, paif $150 and it was in decent shape. Attachment system with thumb screws is a hassle, but seemed solid. Im gonna look for a newer retrofit of the thule clamps.

g-m
02-16-2018, 07:05 AM
https://i.imgur.com/0yimOEq.jpg

89coupe
02-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Anyone been to Nakiska recently?

Went to Sunshine on Saturday. Cold but awesome snow

We go to Nakiska almost every weekend. Bought an early bird season pass for my family, was only $800 for the 4 of us. Snow has been great.

We are heading to Kicking Horse this long weekend, rented a 4bed 4bath home right on the hill. Should be a blast.

Rocket1k78
02-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Ski box FTW, i used to run the clamp style board carriers and theyre very cheap compared to a nice box but our boards/bindings would be covered in shit if it was wet on the roads. yeah i know FWP

another bonus of a box is you can use it all year for other things too and i personally love the look of a nice box set up

89coupe
02-16-2018, 04:42 PM
I bought an Inno Shadow 15 Carbon, love it.

89coupe
02-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Skiing in Kicking Horse this weekend, pretty technical hill. Lots of snow.

D'z Nutz
02-23-2018, 12:17 AM
Just an update, re: cargo carriers, I found some on Kijiji that looked good but when I went to check them out in person, they ended up being either pieces of shit with cracks and holes (despite being described as "good condition"), have rusted out mounting hardware, missing keys, or they wouldn't fit my Subie's crossbars.

Fortunately, Canadian Tire's got a couple that are on clearance right now:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sportrack-expedition-0401154p.html
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sportrack-aero-1300-0401170p.html

They're entry level carriers, but I figured for the same price of a beat ass box on Kijiji, I could get a new one on clearance. I was gonna get the Expedition, but ended up with the Aero which ended up being a good choice cause the Expedition would have been wide enough to take up the whole width of my crossbars and it would have looked funny. The Aero is wide enough to store two board bags side-by-side anyways.

U-bolt kit is also on clearance if you don't want or can't use the supplied mounting hardware:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sportrack-u-bolt-kit-0401041p.html

lasimmon
02-23-2018, 01:05 AM
I ended up at Fernie last Saturday. Boy that was one hell of a day. So much snow!

Was in line for opening lift and skied right to close. Was awesome!

taemo
02-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Just an update, re: cargo carriers, I found some on Kijiji that looked good but when I went to check them out in person, they ended up being either pieces of shit with cracks and holes (despite being described as "good condition"), have rusted out mounting hardware, missing keys, or they wouldn't fit my Subie's crossbars.

They're entry level carriers, but I figured for the same price of a beat ass box on Kijiji, I could get a new one on clearance. I was gonna get the Expedition, but ended up with the Aero which ended up being a good choice cause the Expedition would have been wide enough to take up the whole width of my crossbars and it would have looked funny. The Aero is wide enough to store two board bags side-by-side anyways.

U-bolt kit is also on clearance if you don't want or can't use the supplied mounting hardware:

which one did you end up getting?
tempted on getting one up but don't really need one right now.

I ended up at Fernie last Saturday. Boy that was one hell of a day. So much snow!

Was in line for opening lift and skied right to close. Was awesome!

Revelstoke was pretty good too, tons of snow in the mountain this season:thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
02-23-2018, 09:55 AM
which one did you end up getting?
tempted on getting one up but don't really need one right now.

The Aero

flipstah
02-23-2018, 10:14 AM

Dang, looks like the clearance is gone. It's back to regular price.

D'z Nutz
02-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Dang, looks like the clearance is gone. It's back to regular price.

Try changing the location to a different store. I'm still seeing the clearance price at locations that still have them in stock.

Don't you already have a carrier?

flipstah
02-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Try changing the location to a different store. I'm still seeing the clearance price at locations that still have them in stock.

Don't you already have a carrier?

I sold mine because it wasn't long enough to fit 156 boards.

D'z Nutz
02-23-2018, 10:31 AM
I sold mine because it wasn't long enough to fit 156 boards.

Ah, you won't have any problem with either of these carriers then. My board is 155 and my bag is for a 165 and there's like 2' of space left to spare lengthwise.

J-hop
02-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Depends how much room you need but we went with the Thule flow (I believe) for our Subaru. It’s super low profile so you don’t notice it at all up there in the wind. Mounting it’s great with the knobs that twist and stop at the require torque so you never have to worry if you put it on tight enough. A little more expensive, I think we got a deal and paid $950 in the end

Only downside is it would be a really tight squeeze to get 4 peoples gear in there

cam_wmh
02-25-2018, 11:44 AM
https://i.imgur.com/0yimOEq.jpg

Moiwa? AnnaPuri?

Fuck ya, in the white room. I found similar in upper Holt.

g-m
02-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Hirafu, gate 9. But good everywhere!

D'z Nutz
03-25-2018, 10:09 PM
So when does the snow at Sunshine/Lake Louise typically start to get really shitty to the point it's not worth going any more? Looking at last year's thread people were going as late as the end of April. I'm trying to figure out how much more boarding I can squeeze in before the season's done.