PDA

View Full Version : How to inspect you asphalt shingles - is it time for a replacement?

ExtraSlow
07-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Started a new thread because I want advice about my roof, and thought it would fuck up that "looking for a roofer" thread to post pics there. Also figured this info would be helpful to others as a dedicated thread.
The story: My roof is about nine years old. No idea what shingles were used, probably nothing special. it's a two-story house so it's a pain in the ass to get up there, but I snapped some pics that I'll attach below.

Anyway, how do you visually inspect an asphalt shingle roof? I have a few nails that have popped up, and some of those have some goop on them that looks like a roofer did a repair. Some do not.
I have found a couple loose nails rolling around that must have come from somewhere. There's a tiny hole in the caulking around my skylight that may be the source of a very minor leak I have during hard rains.
There's even a couple of tabs broken off in places.
See pics:

ExtraSlow
07-12-2017, 09:25 PM

These two are just wide shots for general condition.

firebane
07-12-2017, 09:49 PM
That roof looks fine except for some shady work done in some ares. What I would do is crawl into the attic and look at the plywood and see if you have any water damage.

ExtraSlow
07-12-2017, 09:51 PM
I do have visible damage around the skylight, and none elsewhere. I hope I know where that's coming from and I think I can fix it myself. more wondering about the rest of the roof.
What's the "shady" work you see?

speedog
07-12-2017, 09:52 PM
That roof really doesn't look all that bad to me, certainly it doesn't appear to need replacing. Hammer the nails back down or put in new ones nearby and then apply a very liberal dose of roofing tar. The loose nails could have been up there from the original installation and got missed. The flashing around your skylight - be liberal with the tar goop, very liberal. Roofing tar is your friend. Your shingles appear to be in great shape.

speedog
07-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Not sure if there's any shady work, I would've done the valleys differently and did so when I redid my roof. There's also some odd shingle arrangements in some of your pictures but then a contractor doing a roof that is trying to squeeze some extra money out of job will do short cuts that someone who does their own roof wouldn't. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad roofing job, it most likely is doing what it needs to do. Roofing tar, make it your friend.

jeffh
07-12-2017, 11:26 PM
There appears to be a 1" drop by that brown flashing (3rd pic) for what I assume is the skylight. That looks really shoddy, and I would try and slip a piece of flashing in that spot. I'd also go around with a caulking gun and a tube of that tar-like caulk and do some cheap repairs in some of those bad spots like in the 1st and 2nd pics. I believe the 5th pic is really just cosmetic. Overall it looks like your roof has taken some high wind in its life, and it is not the best quality workmanship. It's still appears to have some life left, and probably worth it to get a guy to do spot repairs.

suntan
07-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Shingles are fine. You have years left on that roof.

mr2mike
07-13-2017, 09:51 AM
It's not uncommon for skylights to leak. Flashing could have been installed incorrectly or just water has worked in from the freeze and thaw of temps.
Recession idea: Blue tarp it until oil is at $75.

ExtraSlow
07-13-2017, 10:48 AM
It's not uncommon for skylights to leak. Flashing could have been installed incorrectly or just water has worked in from the freeze and thaw of temps.
Recession idea: Blue tarp it until oil is at $75.
Roofing tar at lowes is chaper than tarps, I just checked. I will slather some of that around and see how I feel.

- - - Updated - - -

There appears to be a 1" drop by that brown flashing (3rd pic) for what I assume is the skylight. That looks really shoddy, and I would try and slip a piece of flashing in that spot. I'd also go around with a caulking gun and a tube of that tar-like caulk and do some cheap repairs in some of those bad spots like in the 1st and 2nd pics. I believe the 5th pic is really just cosmetic. Overall it looks like your roof has taken some high wind in its life, and it is not the best quality workmanship. It's still appears to have some life left, and probably worth it to get a guy to do spot repairs.
Yeah, that third pic where there is a gap in the flashing, or poorly cut flashing is the corner of my skylight that leaks in storms. I'll pay attention to that area.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

ExtraSlow
07-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Slapped some tar on any exposed nails after hammering them down, and a few small spots on the shingles. Interestingly, found three 1/4" holes that looked really clean and deep, like they were drilled into the roof. I don't know what they are, but I filled them. Havn't had leaks in those spots, so who knows?
Put a shitton of tar/caulk around that skylight and I'm happy with how it looks now. Can't see anywhere water might seep in.

Thanks Beyond! :thumbsup: