PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a bike computer?

taemo
07-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Currently have an old wired cateye computer on my road bike that I use primarily for cadence and speed.

I'm planning to build a cx bike and would like to have a computer on it to monitor my performance. Prefer going wireless to have a cleaner look.

At MEC, I see that they have either Garmin or VDO.
Garmin Edge 25 looks nice, pricier but sensors are small
Any of the VDO computers are cheaper but the sensors are big and looks out of place on bikes.

I guess I've answered my own question by going Garmin but do you guys recommend another one?

Penguin_Racecar
07-17-2017, 01:11 PM
I'm a big fan of my Garmin Edge 520. Bigger unit / more data fields but the price is higher. Supports HRM, power meter, etc, etc and can follow gps waypoints if you've created a route in strava/ridewithgps/etc.
My wife has the Edge 25, which supports HRM and Cadence/Speed sensor as well as having GPS. Neat unit and it's tiny. Fewer data fields obviously. Perfect for her commutes.

Sidenote - I have a power meter and don't bother with cadence data. I know my happy range for cadence and just look at power or heart rate if I'm on one of my other bikes. Cadence doesn't reflect effort or perceived effort. There is no correlation between cadence and power if you think about it.

What cx bike are you building? Welcome to the dark side.

taemo
07-17-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm a big fan of my Garmin Edge 520. Bigger unit / more data fields but the price is higher. Supports HRM, power meter, etc, etc and can follow gps waypoints if you've created a route in strava/ridewithgps/etc.
My wife has the Edge 25, which supports HRM and Cadence/Speed sensor as well as having GPS. Neat unit and it's tiny. Fewer data fields obviously. Perfect for her commutes.

Sidenote - I have a power meter and don't bother with cadence data. I know my happy range for cadence and just look at power or heart rate if I'm on one of my other bikes. Cadence doesn't reflect effort or perceived effort. There is no correlation between cadence and power if you think about it.

What cx bike are you building? Welcome to the dark side.

Thanks, maybe I'll just go with the basic Edge 25 (no cadence)

DzNutz gave me his extra Jake the Snake frame, it had a small crack by the chain stay but had it fixed. Figured since I'll be road biking on it most of the time, not doing any jump, I should be ok.
https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/20066607_254351445063594_8739040145526751232_n.jpg

Going with 5700/6700 parts, 11-28 cassette and 50-34 chainring.

D'z Nutz
07-17-2017, 01:38 PM
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403035-Cycling-GPS-Computers

taemo
07-17-2017, 01:44 PM
ah damn, i knew there was a recent one but when i went to the cycling page, it wasnt there.
i should have done a search first.

blitz
07-17-2017, 01:52 PM
I have a VDO setup you can have. M6 I think with all the sensors.

taemo
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM

thanks for the offer man but I think I'll go with the Garmin.
I looked into the VDO and am not a fan of their sensors sticking out that much. What did you think of it?

s_havinga
07-18-2017, 08:37 AM

I would be interested in this. PM me with what you want for it/ when you could meet up

swak
07-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Working in bike parts and warranty for many years, I would not recommend anything but Polar or Garmin (or Suunto if you're a tri-athlete).
Everything else is crap and has so many issues (setting up, staying working, etc). Huge headaches for everyone involved.

I had a Polar computer, honestly the best software for uploading training data i've ever seen. Garmin's software is mor efor your recreational rider, but easily uploaded to "TrainingPeaks" if you're looking for training data on a Garmin as well.

I've ran both a Garmin 800 and a Polar CS600.
The garmin is better for on the bike use
The polar is better for tracking training data at home.

Both are great companies and computers though! Good luck with your purchase. As long as it's not a cateye, blackburm, specialized, bontranger, strada, or other unit other than the top 3 i recommended, i can assure you that you'll be happy!
Disclaimer, if you have one of the brands that I stated that i'm not a fan of and like it... Perfect, glad you do.

msommers
07-18-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm still using an older Garmin Edge 500 but thinking of upgrading, though not totally sure why lol.

A power meter would be nice so much $$

swak
07-23-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm still using an older Garmin Edge 500 but thinking of upgrading, though not totally sure why lol.

A power meter would be nice so much $$

Power meters are becoming more and more reasonable to buy now... With the Garmin vector pedals, Stages LH crank arms, etc.
No longer have to buy an overpriced crankset or a heavy/proprietary wheel.

msommers
07-23-2017, 06:10 PM
That's pretty awesome! What would you suggest??!

lilmira
07-23-2017, 07:08 PM
4iiii precision for 500cad as long as you have a compatible crank. You send your crank to their office in cochrane, they install it and send it back to you.

Penguin_Racecar
07-24-2017, 09:48 AM
4iiii precision for 500cad as long as you have a compatible crank. You send your crank to their office in cochrane, they install it and send it back to you.

I'm on a 4iiii precision left sided. I love it.
Advantage: inexpensive, durable, reliable, super light weight, easy to use.
Disadvantage: Can't change them between bikes like you can with Vector pedals.

taemo
07-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Update: I won a BNIB Garmin Edge 25 on Ebay, then bought the cadence/speed sensor at the MEC, saved me 60$.

Figured for what I need the Edge 25 is good enough, if I decide to upgrade later on, I could sell the 25 for how much I paid for.

AlbertaBeef
08-02-2017, 10:25 PM
I have an Edge 25 and love it. The garmin mounts are cheap so I can throw it on any of my bikes easily. I can even put it in a pocket and GPS my runs. It detects the cadence sensor and my garmin HRM (chest strap) without fail.

The big downside for me is no support for a power meter. If I wanted a power meter or a colour screen with maps, I'd get the 520 instead. But if you don't need those, the 25 is great.

Brent.ff
05-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Garmin Edge 520 on sale at Costco.ca for $260
https://www.costco.ca/Garmin-Edge%C2%AE-520-Bike-GPS.product.100313912.html

Thoughts on computer vs watch (like a fenix 3)?

I dont think i'd ever get a dedicated computer over my Fenix 5x, mostly cause i can actually wear my fenix for all the additional activities (run, swim, hike, bike, climb, etc etc etc), and has the same functionality..

i use this to mount on the handlebars so i dont' have to look @ my wrist: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5018-947/Bike-Mount-Kit

Only issue is with tri-bars on my road bike (tri-training) is im running out of handlebar space, and the watch doesn't mount great in the centre. But thinking when i'm actually doing the tri, i'll have it on my wrist anyway so i dont have to take it off and put it on..

D'z Nutz
05-25-2018, 09:56 AM
I have a Fenix 3 HR and before that the Fenix 2 and my dad gave me his old Edge 1000 a couple weeks ago. For me personally, I much prefer the watches by a long shot, but that really depends on what your needs and uses are.

A computer is nice cause with the bigger screen you can display more information and load maps and stuff.

I prefer the watch cause, like Brent.ff said, you can track more activities. I also use my Fenix to track my snowboarding. You can load maps onto the watch too, but the screen is so small, it's kinda pointless IMO. And you obviously don't get as much data presented to you in a single screen.

I guess if you're a user that needs live data (ie: training, competing, etc) I'd go with the computer. If you're a user that just wants to record your progress and review it later on, go with the watch.

Brent.ff
05-25-2018, 10:17 AM
Even with live data, my watch can give me 4 data points per screen, so i get pretty well everything i need. First screen: Timer, Avg. Speed, Total Ascent, Distance. Second screen Speed, HR, Cadence, Grade (dont have a power meter, otherwise power would be there)

Strider
05-25-2018, 10:45 AM
I prefer the watch cause, like Brent.ff said, you can track more activities. I also use my Fenix to track my snowboarding. You can load maps onto the watch too, but the screen is so small, it's kinda pointless IMO. And you obviously don't get as much data presented to you in a single screen.

I guess if you're a user that needs live data (ie: training, competing, etc) I'd go with the computer. If you're a user that just wants to record your progress and review it later on, go with the watch.

Even with live data, my watch can give me 4 data points per screen, so i get pretty well everything i need. First screen: Timer, Avg. Speed, Total Ascent, Distance. Second screen Speed, HR, Cadence, Grade (dont have a power meter, otherwise power would be there)

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
In terms of activities, cycling is the only one I do enough of to bother tracking. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll ever get serious enough to need live data, but having the option would be nice. I don't see myself using turn by turn navigation, so it seems like there's no dealbreaker for either option for me. Leaning slightly towards a watch though.

Brent.ff
05-25-2018, 10:48 AM
The 5x can give you turn by turn, as well as maps. If you don't need it, you can go with the 3 or the 5. I like the 5X as it gives me maps for hiking, it saved at least one day this winter where the trail had filled in and i was wandering around.

blitz
05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
I was planning on getting one this year, but I've decided to unplug a little. Not even using Strava, just getting on my bike and riding.

D'z Nutz
05-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
In terms of activities, cycling is the only one I do enough of to bother tracking. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll ever get serious enough to need live data, but having the option would be nice. I don't see myself using turn by turn navigation, so it seems like there's no dealbreaker for either option for me. Leaning slightly towards a watch though.

Don't get me wrong, the watch does everything the computer does. The computer just has the benefits of everything that comes with the bigger real estate.

Strider
05-25-2018, 11:57 AM
Don't get me wrong, the watch does everything the computer does. The computer just has the benefits of everything that comes with the bigger real estate.

Ahhh gotcha. Maybe I'll pick up a refurb fenix 3HR off Amazon. Have you had any altimeter/barometer issues with yours? Wondering if that's just blown out of proportion.

D'z Nutz
05-25-2018, 02:03 PM
I haven't experienced any issues with the altimeter or barometer. Granted, it's not a metric I actively watch for, but I haven't noticed any weird swings in elevation on any of my rides.

Strider
07-16-2018, 01:08 PM
Still haven't bought a computer or watch and choked that Amazon hiked the price of the refurb Fenix 3.

Based on the commute thread, cadence sensors are more common than I thought. What's everyone using? I hate the thought of paying $50+ for the Wahoo or Garmin sensor, but haven't done enough research to know whether the $20 China ones will communicate with a bike computer (vs phone+app).

buh_buh
07-16-2018, 02:19 PM
I've probably got a spare Garmin cadence sensor I'm not using. LMK if interested.

kenny
07-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Still haven't bought a computer or watch and choked that Amazon hiked the price of the refurb Fenix 3.

It's at $289 right now for Prime day.

Strider
07-17-2018, 12:21 PM
It's at $289 right now for Prime day.
Thx.

I actually checked for it knowing that they probably raised the price again just to put on "sale". It was still $370 when I checked (site was still broken), so I grabbed the Vivoactive 3 for $240. Then saw a couple hours later on RFD that the Fenix 3 was back for $289 so I ordered that too... Will compare and decide with to keep when they get here.

997TT
08-28-2018, 03:18 PM
For bike computers do most of you recommend/use a garmin?
Was doing a bit of research into the elemnt bolt and it seemed to stack up okay.

Is the garmin 1030 the gold standard if price is no issue and the elemnt/520 kind of the next level down?