PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Accused of Racial Profiling

interlude
07-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Don't know how many beyonders are from an ethnic background, but growing up in Calgary I knew there were 2 bars I would never get into, Cowboys and Ranchmans. UNLESS you're the token asian (5 white, 1 asian)

Back in the Palace days I had to carry:
1) 3 pieces of ID
2) Grease the bouncer $20-50 per person
3) steps above might not work, it was 50/50 every time we went.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1170961&binId=1.1201914&playlistPageNum=1#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=IA6mqoH

Anybody else experience any type of racial profiling in Calgary? Interested to hear on other experiences from Beyond in regards to getting into Cowboys (white, yellow, grey, brown, black, purple.. whatever)

Here is the original post, check out John Richard, a white supremacist trolling the FB post. Funny how the posters who use the "why did you pull the race card" are the racist individuals (check their profile).

https://www.facebook.com/gregwyee/posts/10155558815291057

EK 2.0
07-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Well....no surprise there...

born2workoncars
07-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Sucks, but why would you want to visit these establishments anyway? Shitty venue, full of shitty people being shitty and drunk. Can't imagine paying someone to let me in to Cowboys.

firebane
07-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Here is a better article: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ethnic-exclusion-hip-hop-fans-purchase-sky-suite-refused-access-to-cowboys-tent-1.3510618

Note this: "One or more of the individuals affiliated with this incident were identified as potential problematic customers known in the nightclub/hospitality industry. We have reached out to the necessary parties, regarding this matter."

interlude
07-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Here is a better article: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ethnic-exclusion-hip-hop-fans-purchase-sky-suite-refused-access-to-cowboys-tent-1.3510618

Note this: "One or more of the individuals affiliated with this incident were identified as potential problematic customers known in the nightclub/hospitality industry. We have reached out to the necessary parties, regarding this matter."

Did you also read that they didn't even get a chance to provide their ID for scanning? They were stopped before they can even scan their IDs, they offered their ID to staff and Police that was there.

Point is. They saw a group of 20 ethnic rolling in, said no, VIP staff member vouched for them, they continued to say no without scanning IDs, even offering it up to security and Police.

If they were worried as certain individuals identified as being problematic, why not just let everybody else in and not the "problematic individuals" (if they were even problematic)

Point is... even if they had problems with ethnics in the past. It shouldn't be a blanket rule for everybody.

This issue definitely bugs me because I went through this shit when i was younger (being called a chink or was told to go back to chinatown when I would beat a white boy at Street Fighter 2). I'm pushing 40 and didnt even know they scanned IDs at clubs now haha

revelations
07-20-2017, 11:57 AM
If the bouncers saw, or recognized, that one of the group was on a no-fly list of sort, why not just explain that to the group at the door? (or, it probably was but they chose to go cry to the media instead).

interlude
07-20-2017, 12:01 PM
If the bouncers saw, or recognized, that one of the group was on a no-fly list of sort, why not just explain that to the group at the door? (or, it probably was but they chose to go cry to the media instead).

Watch the video again, they asked for an explanation. They were never told at the door that there was a problematic individual or individuals. They offered their ID to security AND Police that were there.

ExtraSlow
07-20-2017, 12:03 PM
I feel like this exact thread has been posted before, and nobody was surprised then either.

interlude
07-20-2017, 12:09 PM
I feel like this exact thread has been posted before, and nobody was surprised then either.

True, I would be pissed though if I flew into Calgary to watch a show and party with my friends, only to be turned away.

max_boost
07-20-2017, 12:21 PM

a bit surprised considering these guys spent some good $$$ for the sky suite.

I guess Cowboys doesn't fear the SJWs lol bring it on. haha

colinxx235
07-20-2017, 12:29 PM
based upon who he's friends with, not sure exactly who showed up. most likely gang suppression was there and told them to deny entry. so i'm leaning less racial and more who these guys were

Buster
07-20-2017, 12:40 PM
I was given the White Guy menu at a noodle shop a couple of weeks ago.

Masked Bandit
07-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Something doesn't smell right here, would a business really dump a $5600 booking (plus booze) because the group was 70% non-white??? Or is it more likely that one or more patrons in the group has current or recent gang affiliation?

spikerS
07-20-2017, 01:18 PM
If it is racial profiling, that sucks. We should all be way past this mentality, but, when butt hurt, it gets brought back to the forefront.

Having said that, it's a private establishment, and they can choose who they let in or not for what ever reason they choose. Heck, it might be Wednesday, and that is a good enough reason.

But seriously, who the fuck wants to goto these places anyways?

dj_rice
07-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Years back was also denied at Cowboys. All asian group. The week after, we went to the back door route, one of the bouncers was a rugby player who wasn't working that night, we said we were on the same rugby team as him, and got in. Success!!! But, they had 2-3 bouncers following us the entire night.

Xtrema
07-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Clubbing in Alberta as a minority/ethnic group has always been a shit show.

spikerS
07-20-2017, 01:20 PM
a bit surprised considering these guys spent some good $$$ for the sky suite.

I guess Cowboys doesn't fear the SJWs lol bring it on. haha

They never feared that at all. Dude that owns pennylane (and a ton of bars in YYC) just doesnt give a shit, and markets sex and drunkeness. For the longest time (not sure if it still happens) they would pay for boob jobs for their serving staff.

HiTempguy1
07-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Clubbing in Alberta as a minority/ethnic group has always been a shit show.

Which is funny, because minorities seem to own/run most establishments.

revelations
07-20-2017, 02:47 PM
(cant delete post)

ZenOps
07-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Yup, I always thought it was just dumb white people following other white people into overconsuming. I mean its fine if you are being paid to be at the bar as some sort of draw for other customers, but to pay? Bah.

If you happen to be the Azn owner to draw in the suckers, that's the angle.

Overconsuming like $16 Avocado toast every breakfast.

J-hop
07-20-2017, 03:07 PM
based upon who he's friends with, not sure exactly who showed up. most likely gang suppression was there and told them to deny entry. so i'm leaning less racial and more who these guys were

Yea something is missing from this story I don't buy the racial profiling. Someone on the beyond baller list must know these guys

dj_patm
07-20-2017, 03:33 PM
I'm white and I've been turned away at clubs cause someone in our group caused problems at the place before. There was no discussion or convincing the bouncer otherwise. You fucked up so you're not coming in and that is that. Mind you this was 5-6 years ago but it definitely happens regardless of race.

Not saying they don't profile, but in all my clubbing days (and they were quite extensive) I've never seen it happen in front of me so I have a hard to time believing it's as systematic as claimed.

I could this being a way bigger issue 10 - 20 years ago though.

BokCh0y
07-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Well....no surprise there...:werd:

Buster
07-20-2017, 03:37 PM
If you're running around in a group of 20 all [asian/white/brown/black] dudes, you aren't exactly looking like a paragon of racial diversity yourself.

beyond_ban
07-20-2017, 04:46 PM
But, they had 2-3 bouncers following us the entire night.

I find it very hard to believe that they had the man power to designate 2-3 bouncers to watch your group all night long in that tent packed with thousands of people. Paranoia?

ndhal417
07-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Being a brown guy, I see this all the time. Bouncers usually use shoes, jeans, jewelry, and not having two pieces of ID or being under 25 to keep people out. Even the crappy Corona tent at Stampede pulled the two IDs thing even though the non-brown people in front of me got in with one. Once a bouncer at National pretty much told us that they didn't want younger brown guys there as they cause the most problems (honestly, that's pretty much true).

J-hop
07-20-2017, 06:10 PM
People seem to be forgetting this isn't bouncers at the door of a club they randomnly walked up to turning them away.

They booked a suite, cowboys stood to make over $5600 on the booking alone, plus at least $2000 more for alcohol and food (I'm sure $100 a head is MAJORLY underestimating).

Chances are they wouldn't be able to fill the suite at the same price last minute so they're losing profits for sure.

There really are only 2 logical conclusions IMO

(1) they got some VIP that trumped this group (I don't know maybe one of the performers decided they wanted the place)
(2) more likely there were actual legitimate concerns

Risking lost profit and social media backlash by racially profiling is not a logical conclusion in my eyes...

gwill
07-20-2017, 06:26 PM
your missing another logical third option. Hot head bouncer decides not to let the group in and everyone else backs the decision without knowing why. Need to have your bouncers back no matter what right???

With how much crap they deal with this is the most likely scenario.

J-hop
07-20-2017, 06:33 PM
your missing another logical third option. Hot head bouncer decides not to let the group in and everyone else backs the decision without knowing why. Need to have your bouncers back no matter what right???

With how much crap they deal with this is the most likely scenario.

you know how fast the owner would have that bouncer's Ass out the door with a $7600 potential profit lost on a VIP suite and potential loss of reputation?

Again this isn't Friday night with a general admission lineup down the block and bouncers being allowed to filter at their own discretion because the club is going to be at capacity all night...

Sonic
07-20-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm about the same age as these guys, mid to late 30s, and I can pretty much guess at what "type" they are and were back in the late 2000s, no sympathy from me... Late 30s and still going to a rap show at this type of a nightclub...pfft, grow up. I'm with Cowboys in this one, not surprised they had a couple of "known" people in their group, some people just never grow up.

I'm also going up guess that at least half these guys have those full sleeve Asian tattoos that were so popular 5-10 years ago.. Fuck am I glad I never was stupid enough for that.

Any time I went to "less diverse" clubs, I had a blast and everyone was friendly... When we went up places like Mynt, Whiskey or any other club fill of Asians, there was always shit going down with these types and if there wasn't, it always felt like it was about to.

And btw, I'm specifically referring to the Asian gangster types, and they are pretty easy to tell apart.

speedog
07-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Yea something is missing from this story I don't buy the racial profiling. Someone on the beyond baller list must know these guys

Aah, so there is a list. Do tell who's on it, eh?

interlude
07-20-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm about the same age as these guys, mid to late 30s, and I can pretty much guess at what "type" they are and were back in the late 2000s, no sympathy from me... Late 30s and still going to a rap show at this type of a nightclub...pfft, grow up. I'm with Cowboys in this one, not surprised they had a couple of "known" people in their group, some people just never grow up.

I'm also going up guess that at least half these guys have those full sleeve Asian tattoos that were so popular 5-10 years ago.. Fuck am I glad I never was stupid enough for that.

Any time I went to "less diverse" clubs, I had a blast and everyone was friendly... When we went up places like Mynt, Whiskey or any other club fill of Asians, there was always shit going down with these types and if there wasn't, it always felt like it was about to.

And btw, I'm specifically referring to the Asian gangster types, and they are pretty easy to tell apart.

So you are basically stereo typing that ALL asians with sleeve tattoos are automatically asian gangsters? LOL

Give your head a shake. So the ASIAN police officer that I have seen with a sleeve tattoo is automatically an "Asian Gangster" when hes walking around the Stampede off-duty. Riggggght :nut:

Go to the Inglewood Starbucks in the morning, there are easily 2-4 police officers with full sleeve tattoos

OTown
07-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Could it be that these guys were too drunk to go in? There's so many variables. I highly doubt Cowboys would have thrown that kind of money away for no reason.

Lets wait until there's more info before making up our minds.

J-hop
07-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Aah, so there is a list. Do tell who's on it, eh?

Dude you think I get to see the list? I'm probably not even supposed to know there is a list :rofl:

J-hop
07-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Interesting "brad leng" is not using his real name. Or he uses a fake name on social media. Not going to post it here but that is odd

Edit: nm after some searching I realize why he might want some privacy. Nothing criminal obviously just probably worried about douchey conservatives

Sonic
07-20-2017, 08:34 PM
So you are basically stereo typing that ALL asians with sleeve tattoos are automatically asian gangsters? LOL

Give your head a shake. So the ASIAN police officer that I have seen with a sleeve tattoo is automatically an "Asian Gangster" when hes walking around the Stampede off-duty. Riggggght :nut:

Go to the Inglewood Starbucks in the morning, there are easily 2-4 police officers with full sleeve tattoos

No, but in this case there were actual Asian gangsters in his company.

And those cops you mentioned, pretty sure they don't go to nightclubs in their late 30s in the company of shady people. They've actually grown the fuck up.

interlude
07-20-2017, 08:56 PM
No, but in this case there were actual Asian gangsters in his company.

And those cops you mentioned, pretty sure they don't go to nightclubs in their late 30s in the company of shady people. They've actually grown the fuck up.

What rock do you live under?

Where did it say they were Asian gangsters? People in their 30s to 50s still go out and party. Just because you stopped clubbing, doesn't mean others stop at the same age.

Here I thought I was a hermit because I never go out.

gwill
07-20-2017, 09:11 PM
I want to know what sort of fantasy land some of the posters here who are denying racism or discrimination live in. We are all guilty of discrimination. Young or old, white or brown, at work or with friends.

It must be great to be white.. it must be great to know without even being there that the story is bs and that it wasnt discrimination.

But hey what do i know. I wasnt there... Is racism and discrimination that unlikely in the world we live in? Heck no...

J-hop
07-20-2017, 09:46 PM
I want to know what sort of fantasy land some of the posters here who are denying racism or discrimination live in. We are all guilty of discrimination. Young or old, white or brown, at work or with friends.

It must be great to be white.. it must be great to know without even being there that the story is bs and that it wasnt discrimination.

But hey what do i know. I wasnt there... Is racism and discrimination that unlikely in the world we live in? Heck no...

The problem with the racism case is it's fabricated purely off accusations. Isn't this exactly what we trash SJWs for doing?

Several of the main people on the cowboys team are Asian. Not saying that Asians can't be racist against other Asians but people are painting a picture of a bunch of Aryan nation extremists" trying to keep their club pure. "

Wait for more info before making accusations, so far we know nothing of value

colinxx235
07-20-2017, 09:55 PM

Where did it say they were Asian gangsters? People in their 30s to 50s still go out and party. Just because you stopped clubbing, doesn't mean others stop at the same age.

Much like J-Hop I'm not really going to get into it with naming people and stuff. While I may have never met Yee personally, I have met some of the people he hangs out with and this was not just a case of "oh no asians with sleeves". Cowboys hires 3rd party security for the week as well. Not to mention lots of cops/gang surpression sit near the entrance. Noted people in the party was very very likely the reason they did let them in. Cause if they are, then gang suppression now has a valid excuse to hit up th VIP area, go through every single persons ID, which will piss of all the other people around, bad for business. And of course clubs are trying to avoid any uglier situations they can these days. I'm quite surprised those two went to local news to complain, but w/e....

SkiBum5.0
07-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Plain and simple, there was someone sketchy in the group. Each SkySuite has a host who would trump the bouncer. And I'm pretty sure the person who is in charge of all sales and marketing is asian at pennylane

gwill
07-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Wait for more info before making accusations, so far we know nothing of value

I can agree with this but how many people posted their likely scenario while discounting any discrimination. Of all the scenarios out there the one that made no sense to them is the possibility of discrimination.

The blatantly obvious white posters who've never been discriminated against sure get defensive quickly with all sorts of detective work, trying to prove no one was discriminated against. Its quite comical.

None of us were there.. none of us know. But is it that far out of the realm of possibilities that they were discriminated against?? How can someone say no to this? Makes no sense.

Sonic
07-20-2017, 10:54 PM
It says in the Cowboys statement already that they had some "known" people in their group.

Buster
07-20-2017, 11:43 PM
assuming a bunch of white people were racist is the same as assuming a bunch of asian people are gangsters

Sonic
07-21-2017, 02:21 AM

It says from the Cowboys statement...maybe they weren't Asian gangsters, but still unsavoury people. I apologize for trashing all people in their 30s and 50s who go out clubbing, I didn't mean that, but I don't have a lot of respect for someone in their 30's still hanging out with gangbangers.

dj_patm
07-21-2017, 12:45 PM
It says from the Cowboys statement...maybe they weren't Asian gangsters, but still unsavoury people. I apologize for trashing all people in their 30s and 50s who go out clubbing, I didn't mean that, but I don't have a lot of respect for someone in their 30's still hanging out with gangbangers.

EDIT: Forgot it's stampede. Carry on.

Sugarphreak
07-25-2017, 02:18 PM

NoSup4U
07-25-2017, 05:18 PM
assuming a bunch of white people were racist is the same as assuming a bunch of asian people are gangsters

But we know all asian people are raciest, so does that mean all white people are gangster? Well, maybe in the NE :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

OTown
07-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Yeah, but as a counterpoint, assuming a bunch of meat head bouncers are racist isn't that big of a stretch

Assuming the head bouncers are meat heads is also a non-factually based assumption.

We can go on and on about this until we run out of breath. At the end of the day we weren't there, and don't have the full story.

Maybelater
08-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Well that CTV article does indicate that the staff engaged in dialogue, but never gave an answer to why they prohibited the individuals from entering the bar, with staff trying to get them in and the bouncing staff continuing to refuse. However, if there was a problematic individual in the group, couldn't they just refuse entry to that person, or would they fear that they were outing someone? However, I'm willing to believe that there is a chance it was discrimination, it was a Fetty Wap, and Big Sean concert, probably expected to be loaded with patrons of minority backgrounds that night, and were on 'high-alert' for gang members; which is incorrect, just stating the mentality they may have been carrying that night.

Also, OP pointed out John Richard, is he known to people in the general community? I went to Forest Lawn with him in the early/mid 2000s and he is certainly a white supremacist, a full blown neo-nazi to be exact. I remember him saying shit like "eventually the day will come where you'll see signs that say 'minorities go this way' and it'll point to a boat'", I'd chalk it up to a racist white person saying racist things to me thinking because of mutual skin colour I was an ally, but the weird thing was that he would hangout with an Indian kid well he said this type of stuff. Honestly, I don't know why it sticks in my head, but I guess it is because it was my first encounter in life with a full blown neo-nazi. Years later I saw him again and he had a swastika tattooed on his face--seems he has removed it now, or its just photoshoped out. Not surprised one bit he is a supporter of Donald Trump though. Dude has some serious problems, but rest assured, he was a loser in the past, he was a loser when I saw him again, and I'm positive he is a loser now.