PDA

View Full Version : Where to get custom fabbed aluminum checker?

Thaco
07-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Wasnt sure where to put this one, so move it if you want.

I am looking to get a piece of aluminum checker plate to skin the front lower section of my travel trailer, i just need a basic 45* bend on one of the edges to tuck the sheet between the frame and trailer box...

Its roughly 90x29 inches... 0.063" thick...

anybody know where to get something like this done? i called calgary aluminum and after harassing them for 2 days they came back with a quote of $200, while not entirely unreasonable, i wasnt really impressed with their service and non-communication, so i'm just checking my options... any other places i could try?

(Measurements on the drawing are in mm)

R-Audi
07-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Sureway Metal?

Sentry
07-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Metal Supermarkets.

Maxx Mazda
07-20-2017, 02:34 PM
I use metal supermarkets for all my aluminum. They're cheap as hell. And take it down the street to 3-Fab to have any cutting, bending, welding done.

Thaco
07-20-2017, 03:00 PM
I use metal supermarkets for all my aluminum. They're cheap as hell. And take it down the street to 3-Fab to have any cutting, bending, welding done.

Thanks for the suggestion, i have used them before, also horrible customer service, i ordered a few items, they said it'd be ready at 3, i walk in at 4:45 and its not ready, and of course they are pissed becasue they close at 5 and i came in at 4:45.... even though it should have been a 2 minute transaction if they had the shit ready... but i did call them too for this one, they want over $200 for a 4x8 sheet, which i assume they would only sell based on the full sheet price, so i'd be better off going with Calgary aluminum and have it ready to go out the door for that price.

Lowes sells a sheet for $130, might wait til the weekend and see if they have a deal, they normally have x% off X purchase on weekends.. (actually i just check their site, they have scratch and save, basically guaranteed $15 off purchases over $100. so i'll likely go that route)

Only issue is going to be the bend, i would like it to be nice, but really dont want to spend an hour shop rate for 2 seconds of work just because i don't have the proper tool.

raceman6135
07-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Only issue is going to be the bend, i would like it to be nice, but really dont want to spend an hour shop rate for 2 seconds of work just because i don't have the proper tool.

If you have some wood laying around and a couple of hinges, make yourself a poor man's sheet metal brake like this:

http://www.homediystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DIY_metal-bender-tool-machine-homediystuff.jpg

legendboy
07-20-2017, 10:36 PM
if you source the material i'll shear and break it up for free

Maxx Mazda
07-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Legendboy is legit. Nicest machine shop I've seen.

Thaco
07-21-2017, 01:12 PM
thanks for the replies guys, i didnt even see them show up in my "whats new"page...

I just realised the lowes sheet is only 2x4ft, thats why it was cheaper.

I appreciate the offers and all but i think i'll just go with calgary aluminum, in the end i wont really need the scraps, and its just a lot easier than trying to haul stuff around.

M.alex
07-22-2017, 11:29 PM
I buy most of my stuff from calgary aluminum ... been going there over a decade, no issues; perhaps you just hit them up on a really busy day.

legendboy
07-23-2017, 10:27 AM
i can check to see if we have any, if so i'll do it for you on the cheap

Thaco
07-23-2017, 06:52 PM
i can check to see if we have any, if so i'll do it for you on the cheap

that'd be awesome, let me know, i need to get it patched up before next weekend because we'll be heading out camping and i already tore it apart, i think .06 would be best because i still do need to make a slight bend in it to form it along the curve when i install it.