PDA

View Full Version : Move-out Cleaner?

Zero102
07-23-2017, 08:52 PM
We are selling and moving out of our current place in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a cleaner to come through. We've been in here a long time and have 3 kids so it's in need of a decent cleaning plus having the carpets steam cleaned. I know I could do this myself but between taking possession of the new place and moving to another province and changing jobs my life's full up enough already and I just don't have the time for it.
Is there a company or person that anybody on here could recommend? There is about 2000 square feet of house to clean including 4 bathrooms plus carpet cleaning and we're up in Royal Oak.

ExtraSlow
07-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Neatfreak provides all these services. I haven't used them for a while, so can't provide current service references, although previously I was happy with all the work they did in my home.

jwslam
07-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Neatfreak provides all these services. I haven't used them for a while, so can't provide current service references, although previously I was happy with all the work they did in my home.
For price comparison: I used them 3 years ago. 2000 sqft of developed space, carpet cleaning only (carpet on 2 floors plus basement). $700.
Guy showed up on time, carpets looked clean after he left. That's pretty much all I can say about it?

Zero102
07-25-2017, 10:40 AM
A couple calls around indicate that Neatfreak is about 50% more in price than the competition. Are they worth it?
We're getting quotes of $700-800 from other companies and Neatfreak quoted $1100.

jwslam
07-25-2017, 10:57 AM
A couple calls around indicate that Neatfreak is about 50% more in price than the competition. Are they worth it?
We're getting quotes of $700-800 from other companies and Neatfreak quoted $1100.
Are you using the same basis for comparison? i.e.
-Are they doing floors, walls, baseboards, cabinets, over cabinets, etc?
-One person or 2 or more?
-Total estimated time
-Weekday vs weekend?
-Are you expected to provide a vacuum / other tools? (Yes I know it's unreasonable for a cleaning company not to supply their own vacuum but they do exist)

ExtraSlow
07-25-2017, 11:06 AM
My experience is that neatfreak has accurate quotes, but is also not the cheapest. You may have both of those things at work here.

Mitsu3000gt
07-25-2017, 11:19 AM
That seems like a lot of money. I've cleaned entire rental houses before for this exact purpose and it definitely did not take us 10-11 hours, and basic unskilled labor is not worth anywhere near $100/hr. 2000 sqft isn't that much to clean either.

Rent a carpet cleaner, grab a buddy, and you can easily do a good enough job on the whole house in an afternoon. Especially if everything is already out of the house, it's way less work if you don't even have to move furniture. I used to deep-clean my 1000 sq ft condo on the regular, floor to ceiling, and it took less than 2 hours for sure with 2 bathrooms. I would even do all the little things like remove the bathroom fan covers to clean out dust, dusting blinds, baseboards, light fixtures, pull out appliances, etc. (most cleaners miss some of those things). If anything is ridiculously stubborn or absolutely disgusting, chances are the cleaners aren't going to be able to do a perfect job on it either.

I think the biggest price difference will be if you need the carpets professionally steam cleaned vs. a rental carpet machine. If the carpets are so bad that a good carpet cleaner can't clean them, the next owners are probably going to replace them anyway. I'd just do a really good job, and if the new owners want to go nuts with a full blown professional clean, that's up to them.

The few times my family & friends have paid cleaners, they always did a poor job compared to what I would consider the bare minimum. The reason you pay them is to clean the places you don't normally regularly clean (like dusting fans, baseboards, light fixtures, etc.), and that is often what they miss anyway.

A790
07-25-2017, 06:21 PM
That seems like a lot of money. I've cleaned entire rental houses before for this exact purpose and it definitely did not take us 10-11 hours, and basic unskilled labor is not worth anywhere near $100/hr. 2000 sqft isn't that much to clean either.
Keep in mind they send more than 1 person to the clean.

I haven't been formally involved in NF for several years. When my tenant decided to move out and leave my place a mess, I called them up and they showed up on Canada day (with less than 24 hours notice) and did a good job. Was happy with that.

max_boost
07-25-2017, 08:05 PM
What is your time worth to you? Like anything, either do it yourself or pay someone.

I have used Neat Freak years ago, they were more expensive than others but also the best cleaning job ever.

I have also used Maids in Blue. The owner Ray is also a Beyonder and they did an excellent job as well.

Nowadays I am frugal so I do the cleaning myself lol

Zero102
07-26-2017, 01:28 PM
I've accepted that we have to pay someone - there just aren't enough hours in the day or days left over to do the cleaning ourselves. Moving with pets and 3 kids to another province really makes it tough.
The carpets will have to be cleaned too, there's quite a few stains that the new owners weren't very happy about.

We haven't gotten a quote from Maids in Blue yet - we'll call them next!

rated_R
07-27-2017, 02:05 PM
I have also used Maids in Blue. The owner Ray is also a Beyonder and they did an excellent job as well.

Thanks max_boost, we appreciate that.

Zero102 - I'd be happy to provide you with a quote, I will PM you our phone number and website.