PDA

View Full Version : If you could start a new career

Pages : [1] 2

Boosted131
07-27-2017, 10:44 AM
What would you try and get into ? I've been out of I.T for a few years now after the downturn , working jobs that aren't related to IT. I'm starting to get annoyed with the job I have and looking for some interesting possible career changes.

One of the key things would be a short time in school for training , since I live on my own and can't afford to not work for a long period, or evening /online classes .

Really I'm up for any suggestions, and wondering which industries would be good to get into during these times , with lower risk of being laid off for lack of work( last 3 IT jobs I had)

I'd consider going back in I.T as well, but not exactly sure which certs I should be going after since I've been out so long now

Brent.ff
07-27-2017, 10:45 AM
cop? pay is good, pension..etc

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Police / RCMP / Fire / EMS are probably the highest paying jobs with minimal education required that are also good careers. Anything with a union and you have low chance of getting laid off.

Nurse pay is amazing but 4yrs school is probably more than you want to do, especially right now.

Courier jobs pay pretty well and are unionized for security (Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, Purolator).

Or commission based jobs like car sales - you don't even have to know the first thing about the vehicles you're selling to get a job. You have to be good or the money sucks though.

TomcoPDR
07-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Open up Chinese, pizza, donair shop in your neighbourhood. Tons of ballers rolling around with just owning 1 store, everyone's gotta eat be it good economical times or bad.

ganesh
07-27-2017, 10:56 AM
When you say IT what are you referring to?
Coding?
Development?
Support?
HW support?
I find that if you are on the business side of IT you are some what safe. So if that some thing interests you look into it. Also if you are living on your own and if there are no issues in moving why not look out side of AB?

Disoblige
07-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Open up Chinese, pizza, donair shop in your neighbourhood. Tons of ballers rolling around with just owning 1 store, everyone's gotta eat be it good economical times or bad.
I would totally open up a shop like this if I was "professionally retired". I find this stuff really fun, but I don't think I could be a baller with a small shop haha.

Dave P
07-27-2017, 10:59 AM
I think if you were a competent younger gunsmith you would be sitting pretty right now.

I feel like a lot of the local gun smiths are older and going to slowly be less and less.

revelations
07-27-2017, 11:09 AM
If IT is not your passion its time to move on. If it IS your passion, it might be time to start contracting remotely (if you code, for eg.)

suntan
07-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Fee-for-services financial adviser. I think that's a huge growth area actually.

killramos
07-27-2017, 12:12 PM
I think I could really wrap my head around being a back bencher on the PGA Tour.

Just gotta break 100 first...

:rofl:

Boosted131
07-27-2017, 12:36 PM
When you say IT what are you referring to?
Coding?
Development?
Support?
HW support?
I find that if you are on the business side of IT you are some what safe. So if that some thing interests you look into it. Also if you are living on your own and if there are no issues in moving why not look out side of AB?

I was an IT site admin managing 250 users, which went to under 100 users and I got laid off. This was a large oil n gas company , so I was doing mostly everything required for internal support .

I'm not sure what potential employers would think about the 3 year gap though .

Boosted131
07-27-2017, 12:52 PM
If IT is not your passion its time to move on. If it IS your passion, it might be time to start contracting remotely (if you code, for eg.)

How would you get into remote contracting? Sounds like something I'd be interested in. I really did enjoy I.T and would probably be at that same company .

austic
07-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Best money I have ever seen is SAP consultants.... now that is a bloody goldmine.

ganesh
07-27-2017, 01:10 PM
I was an IT site admin managing 250 users, which went to under 100 users and I got laid off. This was a large oil n gas company , so I was doing mostly everything required for internal support .

I'm not sure what potential employers would think about the 3 year gap though .

Three year gap will be an issue for sure. It depends on the company.
As others pointed out here if you like IT then look for something in IT.

Xtrema
07-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Best money I have ever seen is SAP consultants.... now that is a bloody goldmine.

You must be willing to travel to where the $ is at. SAP Ops roles are usually tougher to find.

All ERP are $, SAP just tends to have more contracts available.

Sugarphreak
07-27-2017, 01:14 PM

FraserB
07-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Trades is what I would do. Electrical, HVAC or plumbing.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Get your class 1 and start cementing.

Neil4Speed
07-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Police / RCMP / Fire / EMS are probably the highest paying jobs with minimal education required that are also good careers. Anything with a union and you have low chance of getting laid off.

Nurse pay is amazing but 4yrs school is probably more than you want to do, especially right now.

Courier jobs pay pretty well and are unionized for security (Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, Purolator).

Or commission based jobs like car sales - you don't even have to know the first thing about the vehicles you're selling to get a job. You have to be good or the money sucks though.

Fire Pays surprisingly good, plus a Pension at the end of it.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Fire/Pages/Recruitment/Salary-and-benefits.aspx

Kloubek
07-27-2017, 02:37 PM
I took a strange career path. Went to college for graphic design, and now I'm no longer doing an ounce of graphic design. (But that's ok, since my recent raise just put me over what I consider the "benchmark" for financial success - something I probably would never have reached if I remained a designer).

BUT, there is still one thing missing. I don't help anyone in my career - other than the person(s) at the top making the big bucks. I'm a pretty compassionate person, and when the only thing I'm working for is to make money, it somehow seems "incomplete". So, if I could do it all over again, I think I would go into the public service sector... likely in the medical field working with the mind. Psychiatrist perhaps?

ExtraSlow
07-27-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm still in the process of a career change that may or may not be permanent, but if I can make a success of it I will be working a lot fewer hours and earning a lot less, but I think really enjoying myself.

killramos
07-27-2017, 02:46 PM
^ Gigolo business isn't what it used to be Mr. Slow...

A790
07-27-2017, 03:04 PM
I'd go into adult training, coaching, and public speaking.

Boosted131
07-27-2017, 03:20 PM

This is one I considered but I recently found out I have a slipped disc in my back. Don't you have to be able to lift a lot to be a fire fighter ?

suntan
07-27-2017, 03:33 PM

I would never be a firefighter. Drastically raises your chances of getting cancer.

rx7boi
07-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Psychiatrist perhaps?

Med school + 4 year specialization. Would you be prepared to do that?

On the upside, you get to make $275.68 an hour :rofl: :rofl:

Disoblige
07-27-2017, 03:41 PM
I would never be a firefighter. Drastically raises your chances of getting cancer.
I'm not sure that it does, drastically anyways.

The study included nearly 30,000 career firefighters from Chicago, Philadelphia, and San Francisco who were employed at any time between 1950 and 2009. NIOSH researchers found that, when compared to the number of cancers expected using U.S. population rates, the firefighters in this study had a modest increase in cancer diagnoses (9% increase) and cancer-related deaths (14% increase). More information about the study can be found at the links below.

Understanding the increased risks faced by firefighters can help target prevention efforts. However, recent media reports have confused the issue by over-stating the cancer risk for firefighters. We hope that providing the data in this blog and the references below will help prevent further misrepresentation of our data.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2017/05/10/ff-cancer-facts/

Shlade
07-27-2017, 03:41 PM
This is one I considered but I recently found out I have a slipped disc in my back. Don't you have to be able to lift a lot to be a fire fighter ?

Oh yeah.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2017, 03:42 PM
I'd go into adult training, coaching, and public speaking. bingo.

^ Gigolo business isn't what it used to be Mr. Slow...
Well, it's never been better to be honest.

Boosted131
07-27-2017, 03:53 PM
What all does this involve ? I'm pretty much up for anything right now. Just seeing what's out there !

rage2
07-27-2017, 03:56 PM
You must be willing to travel to where the $ is at. SAP Ops roles are usually tougher to find.

All ERP are $, SAP just tends to have more contracts available.
Just have to get your foot in the door first at SAP, then you can literally move anywhere in the world.

FraserB
07-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Even if you can pass the physical aspect, isn't fire nearly impossible to get into in Calgary?

ExtraSlow
07-27-2017, 04:20 PM
There is a long waiting list for fire, can take more than a year from what I hear just to be accepted to a recruit class.

Buster
07-27-2017, 04:38 PM
I'd just do what I do now, but start earlier. Took me to late 20's, 30-ish to find out what I liked.

msommers
07-27-2017, 04:43 PM
Aiming to change it now at 30. Better late than never.

Buster
07-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Aiming to change it now at 30. Better late than never.

30 ain't late dude.

HiTempguy1
07-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Trades is what I would do. Electrical, HVAC or plumbing.

I only would if you had plans to own a business. Doing those trades until you are 60, pass. Especially plumbing. Hvac is probably the best bet out of those, AC/refrigeration.

Get your class 1 and start cementing.

I'm sure you are joking. Don't do this OP.

As for firefighter, should ask all of the ones who are having serious issues after the fort mac fire if its worth it.

Owning your own business is worth it IMO. But you have to find something worth doing.

To be a bit more.constructive, I'd suggest something environmental. Huge demand right now and going forward.

TurboMedic
07-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Huh? I'm a Paramedic and it was 3.5-4yrs of school. EMS is not a minimal education job, although there are positions in oilfield that do take the lower levels registration.

To answer the OP, I would be a brewmaster, but not in Calgary. I just plain love doing it

speedog
07-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah.

Yupp, my back door neighbour is a retired Calgary fire fighter and his back is wrecked. It is a tough physical job.

jabjab
07-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Being a sports braodcaster like Stephen A Smith would be awesome or the people who test out new cars on the track and report back their findings.

speedog
07-27-2017, 06:03 PM
I only would if you had plans to own a business. Doing those trades until you are 60, pass. Especially plumbing. Hvac is probably the best bet out of those, AC/refrigeration.

I suppose as a subcontractor I do own my own business - slid into carpentry almost 3 years ago and it's probably the job I've enjoyed most over the decades and go figure, my summer jobs when I was going to SAIT was carpentry. Not necessarily the cleanest occupation but money as a sub can range from $35 to $120 an hour depending on the work. Yeah, there's the outlay for tools but it is a bonus because I have more tools to play around with at home.

msommers
07-27-2017, 06:40 PM
30 ain't late dude.

With at least 5-8 years of schooling still ahead, it's a hard road and that's if I even get accepted on the first go. But it's what I really want. In grad school I'm already the old guy so at least I'm used to it now :rofl:

HiTempguy1
07-27-2017, 06:44 PM
I suppose as a subcontractor I do own my own business - slid into carpentry almost 3 years ago and it's probably the job I've enjoyed most over the decades and go figure, my summer jobs when I was going to SAIT was carpentry. Not necessarily the cleanest occupation but money as a sub can range from $35 to $120 an hour depending on the work. Yeah, there's the outlay for tools but it is a bonus because I have more tools to play around with at home.

For the vast majority of people... I don't want to say trades are a dead-end, but unless you work for yourself (which you do, as a subcontractor) you basically get stuck topping out at $40/h. Which isn't bad money, but it certainly isn't what it used to be either.

I see it a lot, both up north and back with the construction trades down south. And it usually takes a toll on the body. I didn't say it wasn't fun. I'll be doing a lot more work on cars soon versus sitting in the office all day, but its not the main focus of my business, just one subsection.

In the end, OP asked for recommendations. From what I've seen, its tough to recommend from a lifestyle/health perspective unless you do it right and really think about how to plot it out as a career.

bjstare
07-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Starting over again, I'd do a different undergrad to prep for law school. I did my undergrad in engineering, and didn't get interested in law until after I graduated... but I screwed the pooch too much in engineering to have a competitive GPA (only 3.2). I did well on the LSAT, but my undergrad grades are largely what kept me out of law school (and not wanting to travel to the UK where almost anyone can get in).

Only thing I might change at this point is getting an executive MBA, but it's taking some time to psych myself up for the jump from 50hr work weeks to 80hr+ work weeks haha.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-27-2017, 08:43 PM
I would have gone into driver training and education, hopefully more performance oriented if I had the chance.

zhao
07-27-2017, 09:23 PM
I would probably go in to what I started, which was finance. CFP, or securities related... possibly insurance.

If I could redo, power engineer or trades, ride the oil and gas boom and bank every spare cent, and i'd be semi-retired right now.

I would have gone into driver/training and education, hopefully more performance oriented if I had the chance.

Terrible pay if it's performance oriented. I happily do it for free.

I do think owning a defensive driver school would be awesome, but there are some serious barriers to entry on that market. Basically you need to be an employee of some jackoff's school making shit money for 2-3 years from what I remember before you can open your own, at least if you want it recognized.

corsvette
07-27-2017, 09:36 PM
I'd love to go into Equine dentistry. Pays very well, get to work with horses, and actually in demand as not many people do it.

Ben
07-28-2017, 12:30 AM
I left IT when I packed up and moved away from Calgary in 2007. Lived the life of do whatever I wanted in New Zealand, soul searched and and blew my life savings on seeing the world. When I finally came back home in 2009 I went into law enforcement, got through the whole year+ application process and been doing it 7 years now. Sure it doesn't pay "rigger pay" where everyone brags about their massive pay and yet don't have 20 bucks to put diesel in their $100,00 truck when the economy slumps but I still make it on the sunshine list after putting in my time and getting my raises etc, and I know every day I wake up I have a job. That and with the schedule I'm on I only work 166 calendar days a year before annual leave and family related leave and sick days. I have 200+ days off a year to do whatever I want. heck I can work another job doing something else I like if I want, but mostly we just catch a flight somewhere for a few days and get away. Sure there are some days that are awful, just awful, but most days its good times. It's not for everyone and you have to have a good home life to help you through some rough ones but I would definitely say it was the best decision I ever made as I personally just hated Monday to Friday office life, having a phone always attached to me putting in long days while salaried and fixing stupid shit just to have to repeat it again the next day. You'll never be absolutely rich doing it but you'll always be able to live comfortably.

I would agree that the pay versus education required is a good ratio especially for where I came from, but that's not to say you can be a dropout either. And we're not a bunch of hothead bullies that got picked on in school either with a superiority complex , lots with amazing life stories and experience before joining the thin blue line. And a lot with many letters after their names too that decided to follow their passion instead of their educations.

And don't get me started on the kinds of toys you get to play with :D :guns::drool:

Buster
07-28-2017, 12:51 AM
I still make it on the sunshine list .... and with the schedule I'm on I only work 166 calendar days a year before annual leave and family related leave and sick days. I have 200+ days off a year to do whatever I want. heck I can work another job doing something else I like if I want, but mostly we just catch a flight somewhere for a few days and get away. Sure there are some days that are awful, just awful, but most days its good times.

You know, considering this forum is full of people who are successful, bust their asses for big hours at high stress jobs, and pay a shit ton of taxes.....you might want to go a little light on this talk.

Masked Bandit
07-28-2017, 01:06 AM
If I had to do it all over again I'm thinking accounting. Seems like low stress, good to great income potential and the beans always need counting, even if there are few beans this year than last year.

Ben
07-28-2017, 03:27 AM
You know, considering this forum is full of people who are successful, bust their asses for big hours at high stress jobs, and pay a shit ton of taxes.....you might want to go a little light on this talk.

I don't know if that's meant to be funny or a slam, could be either or, and since I've been on both sides, hey, we all made our choices, some people choose to create their own stress and scrape for money and power in the only way they know how. So I guess I need clarification here. Light on what talk? I've worked harder for less, harder for more, less for less and less for more. this isn't my first job, this isn't even my tenth job. I've seen and done a lot. Hell I threw my lawn mower in the trunk of my old ass Volkswagen and drove across the city to mow rage2's lawn one time because I wanted the cash for some camera gear.

I work full time hours compressed into 12/13 hour shifts not to mention donated time and such. And I don't have stressful days? I guarantee most would fold like a cheap suit given some of the things I've seen and done. I've looked death and evil and horror right in the eyes at the 11th hour and fought for my next breath and come out the other side calm and collected and with lives saved because I had a job to do so those opinions are not even entertained by me.

Beyond is full of ballers and millionaires. Everyone here is doing everything right. Most of these people thought I was crazy to dump my job and move across the planet because Calgary was the Be All End All of prosperity during the 2007 boom.

Also, define successful? Very subjective. I used to think looking out my office window in downtown Calgary with a prox card and blackberry on my belt and a pleated pair of khakis with 4 monitors and a docket of systems updates was successful. Now, looking back I see my old self as just a fat rat in the big race of life where everyone stepped on and over everyone to move up. That wasn't successful, that was stupid. In my opinion anyways.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Terrible pay if it's performance oriented. I happily do it for free.

I do think owning a defensive driver school would be awesome, but there are some serious barriers to entry on that market. Basically you need to be an employee of some jackoff's school making shit money for 2-3 years from what I remember before you can open your own, at least if you want it recognized.

Well there goes that dream. I guess I'll settle for people asking me for tips and ridealongs at auto x.

vengie
07-28-2017, 08:18 AM
I'd just do what I do now, but start earlier. Took me to late 20's, 30-ish to find out what I liked.

Genuinely curious, What do you do?

Buster
07-28-2017, 08:33 AM
I don't know if that's meant to be funny or a slam, could be either or, and since I've been on both sides, hey, we all made our choices, some people choose to create their own stress and scrape for money and power in the only way they know how. So I guess I need clarification here. Light on what talk? I've worked harder for less, harder for more, less for less and less for more. this isn't my first job, this isn't even my tenth job. I've seen and done a lot. Hell I threw my lawn mower in the trunk of my old ass Volkswagen and drove across the city to mow rage2's lawn one time because I wanted the cash for some camera gear.

I work full time hours compressed into 12/13 hour shifts not to mention donated time and such. And I don't have stressful days? I guarantee most would fold like a cheap suit given some of the things I've seen and done. I've looked death and evil and horror right in the eyes at the 11th hour and fought for my next breath and come out the other side calm and collected and with lives saved because I had a job to do so those opinions are not even entertained by me.

Beyond is full of ballers and millionaires. Everyone here is doing everything right. Most of these people thought I was crazy to dump my job and move across the planet because Calgary was the Be All End All of prosperity during the 2007 boom.

Also, define successful? Very subjective. I used to think looking out my office window in downtown Calgary with a prox card and blackberry on my belt and a pleated pair of khakis with 4 monitors and a docket of systems updates was successful. Now, looking back I see my old self as just a fat rat in the big race of life where everyone stepped on and over everyone to move up. That wasn't successful, that was stupid. In my opinion anyways.

Definitely not funny.

My point is/was that tax-payers tend to not like to hear tax-recipients brag about the lifestyles provided to them when it involves "sunshines lists", working only "166 days a year" regularly being able to "take flights wherever". As for the horrors and stress...I'm sure, but as you say...."most days its good times."

Take what the system is willing to provide to you in the form of pay and benefits. But when I'm staring at my tax bill (and my accountants bill trying to shave a point here or there off my rate), don't think I'm not reminded of threads like this. When my ex-military friends brag about their retirement benefits, or my cop cousins brag about getting out of the force at forty-whatever to a generous pension, or my firefighter friends are starting side-businesses with their extra time - they all universally seem to forget that someone is actually paying the bill for the extravagances, and they are usually right there.

jacky4566
07-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Speaking in a car forum. What does it take to be a high end automotive mechanic at Regal or Coachworks? I am seriously considering switching to mechanics but terrified of being stuck as an oil jokey.

My advice to high schoolers right now would be trades. Go into the industrial side (Millwright or HD Mec) and you might even get to travel the world.

R-Audi
07-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Definitely not funny.

My point is/was that tax-payers tend to not like to hear tax-recipients brag about the lifestyles provided to them when it involves "sunshines lists", working only "166 days a year" regularly being able to "take flights wherever". As for the horrors and stress...I'm sure, but as you say...."most days its good times."

While Im sure there are a lot of perks for certain government jobs, I dont think anyone could pay me enough to put up with the "Awful, just awful days" as Ben calls them that most Police/Fire/Paramedics have to deal with. There is no way in hell I am strong enough mentally to deal with that even if it was a few days a month of seeing the worst humanity has to offer. Think of the worst pubished cases in the media (ie. Kids who are kidnapped/murdered etc) and then being first repsonders... Im sure this is the tip of the iceberg for what details actually get released, not to mention the cases that dont get published. All the power to the people that deal with this stuff on a regular basis so that the rest of us dont.

revelations
07-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Cam, are you still doing the Kiyosaki (training others) thing?

revelations
07-28-2017, 09:52 AM
OP, getting into first response is definitely not for everyone. EMS and CFD guys and gals deal with the whiniest, nastiest people around, who still need help, and are bleeding or vomiting everywhere.

They cant just slap a pair of cuffs on them either (well, I guess zip ties would work too). The EMS guys I used to know said that it was about a 10 year career for most before they quit. The CFD should offer a better option - but again, your dealing with 70-80% drug-related cases in certain areas.

suntan
07-28-2017, 10:02 AM
While Im sure there are a lot of perks for certain government jobs, I dont think anyone could pay me enough to put up with the "Awful, just awful days" as Ben calls them that most Police/Fire/Paramedics have to deal with. There is no way in hell I am strong enough mentally to deal with that even if it was a few days a month of seeing the worst humanity has to offer. Think of the worst pubished cases in the media (ie. Kids who are kidnapped/murdered etc) and then being first repsonders... Im sure this is the tip of the iceberg for what details actually get released, not to mention the cases that dont get published. All the power to the people that deal with this stuff on a regular basis so that the rest of us dont.

Yeah I don't give cops, EMS, firefighters etc grief. That shit is tough. No fucking way I could do it even with the perks. First pedo motherfucker I'd have to deal with, I'd blow their brains out.

revelations
07-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Definitely not funny.

Take what the system is willing to provide to you in the form of pay and benefits. But when I'm staring at my tax bill (and my accountants bill trying to shave a point here or there off my rate), don't think I'm not reminded of threads like this. When my ex-military friends brag about their retirement benefits, or my cop cousins brag about getting out of the force at forty-whatever to a generous pension, or my firefighter friends are starting side-businesses with their extra time - they all universally seem to forget that someone is actually paying the bill for the extravagances, and they are usually right there.

The guys and gals on the front lines get a pass from me, regarding their "government" job. You should be directing your anger towards those sitting in an office somewhere in nowhere Canada, collecting 60k a year for 30 years, for a simple/menial job that could easily be outsourced to a local contractor, and would result in improved efficiency and employment of people who want to work.

EK 2.0
07-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Student...I would be a student for the rest of my life...

flipstah
07-28-2017, 10:39 AM
PAID student.

bjstare
07-28-2017, 10:56 AM
The guys and gals on the front lines get a pass from me, regarding their "government" job. You should be directing your anger towards those sitting in an office somewhere in nowhere Canada, collecting 60k a year for 30 years, for a simple/menial job that could easily be outsourced to a local contractor, and would result in improved efficiency and employment of people who want to work.

I'd agree with this.

Couldn't pay me enough to be a first responder. The toll it would take on my personal life would be significant, and I've talked to a few people who have worked in CFD and PD and they concur.

Buster
07-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Both these things can be true:

-first responders deal with the nasty parts of life:

- First responders work "166 days a year", get a lot of time for random vacations, get pay sufficient to get them on the sunshine list, retire after relatively short careers, and according to Ben, rather than "awful" being the main thing to consider, things are "mostly good times".

He was advocating for the career because of all of the upside.

killramos
07-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Only thing I might change at this point is getting an executive MBA, but it's taking some time to psych myself up for the jump from 50hr work weeks to 80hr+ work weeks haha.

The struggle is real, it is not an insignificant challenge and I definitely underestimated it. I would kill for the EMBA schedule compared to mine, the stress of trying to get to class after work is brutal when you are actually busy at the office...

Law school would definitely be interesting, but based on my skills at arguing with people on the internet I think I would be shitty at it. Personally I don't think my engineering degree is worth the paper it's written on and the only thing that makes me valuable anymore is my on the job experience.

SKR
07-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Definitely not funny.

Exactly. If I'm paying anyone, I want them to be miserable all the time and regret every decision they made to get to that point. I can't stand the thought of anyone enjoying themselves with my money. If they're not praying for death I'm paying them too much.

suntan
07-28-2017, 11:33 AM

- First responders work "166 days a year", get a lot of time for random vacations, get pay sufficient to get them on the sunshine list, retire after relatively short careers, and according to Ben, rather than "awful" being the main thing to consider, things are "mostly good times".

Well you gotta look on the bright side so when some meth head tries to stab you in the face and then shits on the gurney you have something to look forward to.

Buster
07-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Last I heard Fire and the cops weren't desperate for recruits? Am I mistaken on this?

Is supply and demand functioning in the world of first responders if getting into fire is virtually impossible? What's the normal course of action if there is a year long line-up of people waiting to work for you?

R-Audi
07-28-2017, 11:42 AM

Very true, but consider that 166 days... that is days worked, not hours. Ben also mentioned there are 12-14 hr shifts.

-I had to look up what the Sunshine list is... so ~$100k+. In a quick look of some other published BC Sunshine list info, it appears to be mostly higher ranking Police/RCMP, certainly not your everyday joe. Assuming someone works their way up the ranks to Sergeant+ I think thats a fair wage. If I read correctly RCMP tops out around $150k.

-Id gladly pay my taxes for someone to get paid that much to deal with that stuff.. if it was that easy everyone would do it. Certainly not all speeding tickets and walking in parades without their uniforms on.

klumsy_tumbler
07-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Very true, but consider that 166 days... that is days worked, not hours. Ben also mentioned there are 12-14 hr shifts.

-I had to look up what the Sunshine list is... so ~$100k+. In a quick look of some other published BC Sunshine list info, it appears to be mostly higher ranking Police/RCMP, certainly not your everyday joe. Assuming someone works their way up the ranks to Sergeant+ I think thats a fair wage. If I read correctly RCMP tops out around $150k.

-Id gladly pay my taxes for someone to get paid that much to deal with that stuff.. if it was that easy everyone would do it. Certainly not all speeding tickets and walking in parades without their uniforms on.

Not to mention the difference in the definition of "awful"... my definition in my current office job would be when you get caught in between business execs and the IT delivery teams because shits not being delivered on time. A cop's definition would be something more akin to "I got shot at and/or bitten by some crazy lady on meth". Not apples to apples. I have zero qualms about their pay and "benefits" when you factor in all the other shit they have to deal with.

Xtrema
07-28-2017, 01:13 PM

I would have to assume that you have to start young or you have been an athlete for most of your career.

HiTempguy1
07-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Last I heard Fire and the cops weren't desperate for recruits? Am I mistaken on this?

Cops are, but I would argue they have higher standards when it comes to personality and education.

Fire is a bit different. Seems like a lot of adrenaline types do it. I know guys who volunteered for years in fire departments. Same guys also are the ones who spend a lot of time at the gym/working out, which you basically get paid to do if in fire.

JfuckinC
07-28-2017, 01:29 PM

Who would advocate a career for the downside? Some Cops probably skate through their career and do the bare minimum just to get to their pension, some for sure don't and have to deal with some real fucked up shit. There is so much stupid shit tax dollars get wasted on why are you so hung up on this one haha

speedog
07-28-2017, 01:40 PM

There are many of those 30 year 60k people who are worth their money and put in a good days work but there are many that just float along as well - been there, done that, wasn't a floater by any means but worked with many that were.

As far as the 166 days, at 13 hours a day that more hours worked in a year than a regular 9-5er.

Ben
07-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Buster, I don't know you other than you've been a registered user on this site almost as long as I have. I know you drive some rediculous Benz and a number of other high end rides and you share your life of opulence conservatively on here but still leave treats and cookies for folks to wonder more about this Buster guy. You have accountants and nannies and you never say what you do for work which is your choice as it is equally mine to explain vaguely what I do. But who the hell do you think you are criticizing what I make and what benefits I have when you know obviously nothing about me or what I actually see and do in my so called tax payer gravy train. Is 100k a year really all that much money these days? Really? I laughed that my deliberate choice of the word sunshine list actually got a rise out of someone. You want someone to be mad at be me at our politicians that made these decisions be mad at the folks that sit for a few years elected making million dollar pensions and all the like. I pay a thousand bucks a cheque into my god damn pension just to get half o it back after 25 years and for what sacrifice. Most of us die a couple years into retirement so don't worry your taxes won't even have paid for those pensions yet. Of course I would talk about the positives why wouldn't I? The stories I have about the negatives are not repeatable in polite company. And don't give me the whole Im a tax payer I pay your salary. Buster the way you called down what I chose to go to work to do (that I left to do well into my working years) and likened me to somethin to save a point on on your precious taxes is both insulting to anyone who has ever served this country and embarrassing for you to be so niave and arrogant. I bet you wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning for what I get paid. I made a concious decision to change careers because of a number of reasons an it has been great for me. Conveniently you observed the plus points in my posts however ignored and demonstrated ignorance towards the negatives in a quite insulting manner. Do your military friends and police cousins you spoke of know how you really feel? I know more than a few that would leave you leaking in a second for trivializing how they "earned" their pensions (which for most are pathetic compared to what you had to pay into) on various tours and the toll it's taken. I shake my head at you sir for lack of appreciation and understanding. But don't worry Us types are only a quick phone call away if you ever need a hand or if you lose one too. We'll still be there 24/7/365 ready to run into where others woul run out of regardless of your opinion of us because that's what we took an oath to do :) stay safe out there and enjoy your weekend. I know I will.

msommers
07-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Where's the like button already.

Type_S1
07-28-2017, 04:43 PM
I left IT when I packed up and moved away from Calgary in 2007. Lived the life of do whatever I wanted in New Zealand, soul searched and and blew my life savings on seeing the world. When I finally came back home in 2009 I went into law enforcement, got through the whole year+ application process and been doing it 7 years now. Sure it doesn't pay "rigger pay" where everyone brags about their massive pay and yet don't have 20 bucks to put diesel in their $100,00 truck when the economy slumps but I still make it on the sunshine list after putting in my time and getting my raises etc, and I know every day I wake up I have a job. That and with the schedule I'm on I only work 166 calendar days a year before annual leave and family related leave and sick days. I have 200+ days off a year to do whatever I want. heck I can work another job doing something else I like if I want, but mostly we just catch a flight somewhere for a few days and get away. Sure there are some days that are awful, just awful, but most days its good times. It's not for everyone and you have to have a good home life to help you through some rough ones but I would definitely say it was the best decision I ever made as I personally just hated Monday to Friday office life, having a phone always attached to me putting in long days while salaried and fixing stupid shit just to have to repeat it again the next day. You'll never be absolutely rich doing it but you'll always be able to live comfortably.

I would agree that the pay versus education required is a good ratio especially for where I came from, but that's not to say you can be a dropout either. And we're not a bunch of hothead bullies that got picked on in school either with a superiority complex , lots with amazing life stories and experience before joining the thin blue line. And a lot with many letters after their names too that decided to follow their passion instead of their educations.

And don't get me started on the kinds of toys you get to play with :D :guns::drool:

Leave it to a government employee to be proud of working 165 days a year and bragging on a public forum about it. What a fking joke our government is, this is why we are going into bankruptcy as a province. No police officers other then real detectives (solving murders/real crimes), GU and the special task force deserve 6 figures for working even a full year and this clown is bragging about working half a year because he takes sick leave and family leave.

Ben
07-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Leave it to a government employee to be proud of working 165 days a year and bragging on a public forum about it. What a fking joke our government is, this is why we are going into bankruptcy as a province. No police officers other then real detectives (solving murders/real crimes), GU and the special task force deserve 6 figures for working even a full year and this clown is bragging about working half a year because he takes sick leave and family leave.

May I ask what you do and what your hours of work are? I ask because I put in more than full time hours over the course of a year just in less days from working 12 or 16 hour days. Some fire departments work 24 hour shifts and then get a week off. Those bums. I'm sorry you feel that way. Heaven forbid you have any days off in between cutting dead kids out of cars or console a rape victim left for dead. Definitely not bragging and you're always free to apply if you'd do it for less. :). Work on your reading comprehension as it is a prerequisite.

Buster
07-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Buster, I don't know you other than you've been a registered user on this site almost as long as I have. I know you drive some rediculous Benz and a number of other high end rides and you share your life of opulence conservatively on here but still leave treats and cookies for folks to wonder more about this Buster guy. You have accountants and nannies and you never say what you do for work which is your choice as it is equally mine to explain vaguely what I do. But who the hell do you think you are criticizing what I make and what benefits I have when you know obviously nothing about me or what I actually see and do in my so called tax payer gravy train. Is 100k a year really all that much money these days? Really? I laughed that my deliberate choice of the word sunshine list actually got a rise out of someone. You want someone to be mad at be me at our politicians that made these decisions be mad at the folks that sit for a few years elected making million dollar pensions and all the like. I pay a thousand bucks a cheque into my god damn pension just to get half o it back after 25 years and for what sacrifice. Most of us die a couple years into retirement so don't worry your taxes won't even have paid for those pensions yet. Of course I would talk about the positives why wouldn't I? The stories I have about the negatives are not repeatable in polite company. And don't give me the whole Im a tax payer I pay your salary. Buster the way you called down what I chose to go to work to do (that I left to do well into my working years) and likened me to somethin to save a point on on your precious taxes is both insulting to anyone who has ever served this country and embarrassing for you to be so niave and arrogant. I bet you wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning for what I get paid. I made a concious decision to change careers because of a number of reasons an it has been great for me. Conveniently you observed the plus points in my posts however ignored and demonstrated ignorance towards the negatives in a quite insulting manner. Do your military friends and police cousins you spoke of know how you really feel? I know more than a few that would leave you leaking in a second for trivializing how they "earned" their pensions (which for most are pathetic compared to what you had to pay into) on various tours and the toll it's taken. I shake my head at you sir for lack of appreciation and understanding. But don't worry Us types are only a quick phone call away if you ever need a hand or if you lose one too. We'll still be there 24/7/365 ready to run into where others woul run out of regardless of your opinion of us because that's what we took an oath to do :) stay safe out there and enjoy your weekend. I know I will.

This is a fair post. Looking back on what I said, I came out swinging at you personally and you didn't deserve that, and the frontline workers shouldn't really bear the burden of the criticisms someone has about government waste, simply because they are a visible target. Sorry about that - I think you deserve an apology. (I also know you were generously trying to help the OP, and I derailed that with my ideological ramblings.) I sometimes let my passion over the money side of things overshadow the fact that the services that the frontline workers provide are actual necessities for a society to function and I will be the first to acknowledge this.

A couple of things I will add, which I think are worth considering:

- gov't employee compensation should be like any other employee compensation: it should be a fair topic of discussion in a productive way. I don't think it is healthy for it to be a no-go zone.
- Much of my issue isn't with the workers or their compensation. I actually have no idea how much a cop or a firefighter should get paid. I really don't, and I don't really have an opinion on it. What I would look like to see is a dismantling of the public union system, so that we can allow the market to determine how much a cop/firefighter/teacher etc gets paid both in cash, entitlements, pension, etc. I don't think that's an unfair approach or request as it is how the whole rest of the world does things, and it works okay.

Ben
07-28-2017, 05:05 PM
This is a fair post. Looking back on what I said, I came out swinging at you personally and you didn't deserve that, and the frontline workers shouldn't really bear the burden of the criticisms someone has about government waste, simply because they are a visible target. Sorry about that - I think you deserve an apology. (I also know you were generously trying to help the OP, and I derailed that with my ideological ramblings.) I sometimes let my passion over the money side of things overshadow the fact that the services that the frontline workers provide are actual necessities for a society to function and I will be the first to acknowledge this.

A couple of things I will add, which I think are worth considering:

- gov't employee compensation should be like any other employee compensation: it should be a fair topic of discussion in a productive way. I don't think it is healthy for it to be a no-go zone.
- Much of my issue isn't with the workers or their compensation. I actually have no idea how much a cop or a firefighter should get paid. I really don't, and I don't really have an opinion on it. What I would look like to see is a dismantling of the public union system, so that we can allow the market to determine how much a cop/firefighter/teacher etc gets paid both in cash, entitlements, pension, etc. I don't think that's an unfair approach or request as it is how the whole rest of the world does things, and it works okay.

Excellent post I 100% agree with it and it goes both ways sorry for shitting back.

I see excessive wasteful spending on stupid shit and those things do get auctioned but I do hate when the public shits on the front line staff because they're the easy target. Most folks have no actual idea and that's probably a good thing lol

Marsh
07-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Wonderful Canadian thread. Both guys throw insults, both guys apologize. Love it

Type_S1
07-28-2017, 07:10 PM
May I ask what you do and what your hours of work are? I ask because I put in more than full time hours over the course of a year just in less days from working 12 or 16 hour days. Some fire departments work 24 hour shifts and then get a week off. Those bums. I'm sorry you feel that way. Heaven forbid you have any days off in between cutting dead kids out of cars or console a rape victim left for dead. Definitely not bragging and you're always free to apply if you'd do it for less. :). Work on your reading comprehension as it is a prerequisite.

I work in the energy sector and on a good day I work only 10 hours. 4 weeks vacation a year regardless of how much I work. No overtime pay. This is the way it is for the large majority of professionals. I don't put my life on the line, I don't deal with tradegy (unless you count executives making stupid decisions they were told not to and losing shareholders tens of millions) but I work my ass off, make my company a shit ton of money and get compensated very well for it. Lazy people that think their regulated sick days count as vacation in my line of business would be immediately terminated as well as those not willing to put in overtime for free.

As stated above, government employees compensation should wide open for discussion and critisism since they are employed by the people. I personally feel that police officers should be salaried with mandatory "volunteer" hours each month to help with security and such where they get paid overtime. Our government needs a fundamental shift on the way it views employees and compensation as it is crippling our province. Very few private sector jobs only require only a 40 hour work week and there is no way in hell they would bank you 100+ days of vacation for working 12 hour shifts. Also the belief that you are ENTITLED to sick days shows the core problem with government employees. The fact you publicly brag how you can use family leave and sick days for extra vacation is extremely unprofessional and shows how bad things have become.

I don't discount all of what police do but I have honestly never met an officer, other then a GU officer that I coached hockey with, that actually care about making society better. They treat it the way you are coming off online - a gravy train with a ton of vacation and great pay. I understand there are difficult parts to the job - devastating things at times - but a lot of officers are never even exposed to these things. Calgary is a relatively safe city with very low crime, especially violent crime. This isn't the states where these guys are putting their lives on the line trying to arrest gangbangers and hardened murderers who will shoot on site. I'm not trying to discount everything in the profession as I know there is a lot of very tough things that happen but they are few and far between - it's not like you have 12 hours of tragedies and then go home shaking at how terrible the world is.

Back on the thread topic - I left Canada in early 2017 because 1) I was fed up with the way the government was destroying our way of life and 2) I was stagnating in my job and the executive group made some decisions we advised against and they turned out poorly which made me write off the job. I've been extremely happy since the move and have made some major moves before. Everyone is different and value different things in life (for example some government employees want 160 sick days a year and I want to work my ass off and achieve/build something great and don't mind overtime). Some of my close friends would not be able to move cities and start a new life because of their personalities. It's not an easy thing to do but it is extremely rewarding if you can do it. If you have a desire to do so I would 100% recommend moving to a different country and trying something new whether it was in your current profession or even if it was to teach English for a year. What's the worst that can happen? You gain some perspective, see a new way of life and go back to Calgary if you don't like it? If I looked back at 60 years old and realized I worked and lived in Calgary my entire life with my once a year vacation I like be very disappointed in myself. The world is a big place and I can tell you 94% of the world has no idea what or where Calgary is.

Ben
07-28-2017, 07:38 PM
I think you sorely misread my post and for that I'm sorry. No where did I brag and I certainly didn't brag about abusing my sick leave. I took 2 days off sick last year that's it. And for good reason. As someone who doesn't work in my line of work I can't explain to you what the cumulative effect of being in a state of hypervigilence is like and I certainly don't have 100s of days of vacation and sick leave banked. I get 3 weeks a year vacation and roughly 8 sick days..I don't count them as extra vacation they are for your physical and mental health. We have family days for family because working in nothin but human misery takes its toll and when your spouse or child is sick because of the 24 hour job requirements sometimes you need to be home for them too I think you are not understanding that work in compressed work weeks you get more days off. It takes me 166 days to work 2100 hours a year where as working 9-5 Monday to Friday takes a hundred more days of work to reach the same hours. Think of it with it being 4 on 4 off with the odd week having 5 or 6 days off and some weeks having 3 days off because of days being longer than 12 hours. Also I am salaried but overtime is paid hourly and it's not always given. If you get called in on a day off yes it's paid but if you have to stay late it's not always covered. Lots of donated hours. I would recommend you educate yourself on what life is like as a first responder as its far more than risking getting shot and why shifts are the way they are as you really are the one making yourself out to be the clown here. Yep you're right some days are problem free but that doesn't mean you can sit back and be complacent. You are always in a constant state of "its go time at any minute" and this does wear on you when you get home takes a full day just for your endorphins to balance out from being like that and people in this business know that as the crash.

You and I fortunately have a common ground with having lived abroad and when I left YYC people thought I was nuts but 6.999 billion people don't live in Calgary and certainly isn't the only place to live.

If you're unhappy with your pay and benefits who's fault is that? Again I think you need to re read what I wrote as you really really missed the context as well as what I actually wrote. But whatever you're entitled to your opinion and you're right public servents should be open to discussion, just don't think you know what it's like and post as such. Thanks and have a safe weekend.

To the OP sorry for the derailment.

Oh and don't ever insult my moral character like that ever again regarding my professionalism. I've been on this forum since its birth and have many friends that will vouch for that. Out of line.

SKR
07-28-2017, 08:24 PM
I think I'd like to work in a bowling alley. Disinfecting shoes, selling beer to minors. Seems pretty relaxed.

Or a bottle depot. A little bit left in every bottle leads to a lot of free pop.

Ben
07-28-2017, 08:50 PM
I think I'd like to work in a bowling alley. Disinfecting shoes, selling beer to minors. Seems pretty relaxed.

Or a bottle depot. A little bit left in every bottle leads to a lot of free pop.

Hahahahaha You might be onto something! A while back I was taking in all my bottles and I had made a wall in my basement with all my rum bottles. As I started boxing them all up I saw each bottle had a little bit in each. So one by one I emptied them into a glass and it turned out to be 4 Oz worth.

#recessionthis. #superman3fractionsofabottleequalswin

Plus statistically bottle depots and liquor stores are busier during downturns so hey that's a win too

ickyflex
07-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Be the NDP candidate for my riding two years ago.

max_boost
07-29-2017, 12:06 PM
So .... lol what's a chill career to get into that doesn't require much education? Flexible, easy, decent money? you know, millennial style.

kertejud2
07-29-2017, 12:16 PM
So .... lol what's a chill career to get into that doesn't require much education? Flexible, easy, decent money? you know, millennial style.

Any job if you have rich parents.

legendboy
07-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Student...I would be a student for the rest of my life...

this is what i do when i win the lottery

nicknolte
07-30-2017, 09:02 AM
What I would look like to see is a dismantling of the public union system, so that we can allow the market to determine how much a cop/firefighter/teacher etc gets paid both in cash, entitlements, pension, etc. I don't think that's an unfair approach or request as it is how the whole rest of the world does things, and it works okay.

After being in that environment, I too would like to see an overhaul of the public sector unions. However, overhauling or dismantling the system won't change the other half of the problem, which is that most government institutions have outdated job profiles and don't manage the performance of their employees properly.

As for the thread topic though, I'd be an industrial engineer. Large manufacturing operations are so interesting

adamc
07-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Laid off from O&G 2014, moved to Toronto, got back in to hospitality. Helped open two wildly successful bar venues, and am looking for my own space now.

Also just finishing the initial round of beer tasting for a brewery I'm hoping to start with two partners who were regular customers of mine and want to leave the tech startup world. Hopefully by next spring we'll have a commercial beer on tap at a number of venues around town.

Lots of money in this town and lots of people wanting to invest in creative ventures, has been great so far and hopefully life will just keep getting better from here. *totally* different from my life in O&G.

A790
07-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Cam, are you still doing the Kiyosaki (training others) thing?
No sir. Haven't been involved in that for quite some time. The past 8ish years have been 100% internet marketing (whether it was sales, the actual marketing, or otherwise). Hell, just finished a round of keyword research for a homebuilder client of mine.

Pays well, and I'm good at it, but I'm getting tired of staring at 3 screens all day.

- - - Updated - - -

What all does this involve ? I'm pretty much up for anything right now. Just seeing what's out there !
Get a diploma or degree in adult education and go from there.

msommers
07-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Laid off from O&G 2014, moved to Toronto, got back in to hospitality. Helped open two wildly successful bar venues, and am looking for my own space now.

Also just finishing the initial round of beer tasting for a brewery I'm hoping to start with two partners who were regular customers of mine and want to leave the tech startup world. Hopefully by next spring we'll have a commercial beer on tap at a number of venues around town.

Lots of money in this town and lots of people wanting to invest in creative ventures, has been great so far and hopefully life will just keep getting better from here. *totally* different from my life in O&G.

This is awesome!! Best of luck, Adam.

Sugarphreak
07-31-2017, 03:16 PM

schurchill39
08-01-2017, 11:17 AM
I'd open a distillery. Its something I enjoy doing already and have done part time work at one before and found it extremely interesting not only from a production standpoint but also a marketing and business structure. I wouldn't change my education level because its applicable to that industry but I would take a few more courses specific to brewing or distilling. I still might take the courses for my own knowledge though

HiTempguy1
08-01-2017, 11:48 AM
I'd open a distillery.

This and microbrewery are the most saturated job market I have ever seen. Unless you have big pockets going in, good luck with that.

Didn't we have a thread on this a year or two ago?

schurchill39
08-01-2017, 12:37 PM
This and microbrewery are the most saturated job market I have ever seen. Unless you have big pockets going in, good luck with that.

Didn't we have a thread on this a year or two ago?

Its a good thing this thread is titled "if you could start a new career" and implied doing something you love. Not "pick another job but don't forget about all of these constraints". Don't you have a government tit that needs suckling or something as opposed to bringing down perfectly good threads? Type_S1 and Buster already beat you to that punch.

https://youtu.be/f68VXKMZT1Q

89coupe
08-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm happy with my career change so far, been doing Real Estate for 2.5 years now and have made the top 10 list numerous times, things have been good, no complaints. I've recently been in the planning stages of getting into Real Estate development, which is where I would really like to be. Hopefully will be breaking ground on my first project soon.

A dream job would be in Astro Physics but I think its too late in life for that right now.

flipstah
08-01-2017, 01:05 PM
R&D in the food industry would be interesting.

HiTempguy1
08-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Waaaah, I don't know how to read a thread

OP

What would you try and get into ? I've been out of I.T for a few years now after the downturn , working jobs that aren't related to IT. I'm starting to get annoyed with the job I have and looking for some interesting possible career changes.

One of the key things would be a short time in school for training , since I live on my own and can't afford to not work for a long period, or evening /online classes .

Really I'm up for any suggestions, and wondering which industries would be good to get into during these times , with lower risk of being laid off for lack of work( last 3 IT jobs I had)

I'd consider going back in I.T as well, but not exactly sure which certs I should be going after since I've been out so long now

Certainly not brewing or distilling LOL.

Also, I appreciate your concern about my job, which is going swimmingly. Both my business, and my current full time employment. Lot of sour grapes from you, that's ok, you are allowed to be jealous :love: