PDA

View Full Version : Stand back Blue Ring, there is a new piece of public art in town!

Pages : [1] 2

schurchill39
08-04-2017, 07:44 AM
500k worth of steel beams and rocks (http://globalnews.ca/news/3646161/city-of-calgary-unveils-blackfoot-inspired-art-at-major-northwest-interchange/)
:facepalm:

firebane
08-04-2017, 07:45 AM
My girlfriend said she saw this in person and thought it was a pile of garbage on the side of the road.

Disoblige
08-04-2017, 08:02 AM
So... This was done on purpose to make the blue ring not seem so bad, right?

lilmira
08-04-2017, 08:03 AM
The rocks are cool but the execution can use some improvement. This looks like the remains of a demolished structure. What were the other designs that lost to this one?

killramos
08-04-2017, 08:11 AM
The installation, which was created by the artist Del Geist, features four columns that, the city said Thursday, pay tribute to Blackfoot culture

Sounds about right...

Despair*
08-04-2017, 08:20 AM
An American from NYC designed this structure. Not a big fan of the art budget. They could they have at least picked something designed by a Canadian artist. Keep the money in the Canadian economy?

Sentry
08-04-2017, 08:26 AM
I drive by this every morning on my way to work. I'm ok with the art budget if it's something cool (I like the fish on Glenmore), but this is fucking ugly.

Disoblige
08-04-2017, 08:32 AM
An American from NYC designed this structure. Not a big fan of the art budget. They could they have at least picked something designed by a Canadian artist. Keep the money in the Canadian economy?
I liked those cow sculptures back in the 2000s and you'd see them all over downtown. At least there was variety.

jacky4566
08-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Agreed. Public art = Good.

But Who keeps picking abstract art?! Enough!

Maybe the board should pick 3 and leave it up to public vote. That would be cool.

Sugarphreak
08-04-2017, 08:56 AM

eglove
08-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Sigh...unbelievable. But it really doesn't matter how much bitching we all do. It's paid for and it's up. Fucking Nenshi needs to go.

A790
08-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Pic of said garbage pile?

Maxx Mazda
08-04-2017, 09:20 AM
What a waste of money yet again.

Swank
08-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Yup, swing and a miss, big time :facepalm:

ickyflex
08-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Can we just get a giant KAWS already...

ZenOps
08-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Y'know, if the beams were stainless steel I would probably have given it a thumbs up.

HiTempguy1
08-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Y'know, if the beams were stainless steel I would probably have given it a thumbs up.

I don't actually disagree with zenops. Probably wouldn't look like a pile of shit then.

ricosuave
08-04-2017, 09:39 AM
well, its better than the big ol blue hula hoop!

J-hop
08-04-2017, 09:43 AM
What do I keep missing? When was the public consulted on choosing a design? I feel we have some wack jobs that keep making these decisions. Time to hand it to the people that have to look at it every day

Seth1968
08-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Maybe the board should pick 3 and leave it up to public vote. That would be cool.

What do I keep missing? When was the public consulted on choosing a design? I feel we have some wack jobs that keep making these decisions.

The sensibility on this and the blue ring is totaling lacking.

This isn't that fucking hard. Post proposals with the cost, then let the taxpayers decide.

Marsh
08-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Lol what a piece of shit. So council completely ignored the backlash on how shitty the blue ring was, and picked something even shittier to put up? Fuck I hope all these clowns get ousted in October

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Lol what a piece of shit. So council completely ignored the backlash on how shitty the blue ring was, and picked something even shittier to put up? Fuck I hope all these clowns get ousted in October

Council aren't the ones picking.

spikerS
08-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Sounds about right...

Honestly, I *THINK* I am ok with this one. When I first saw this, I immediately thought of death rituals and the importance of the beliefs of the Natives that used to roam the praries. This totally reminds me of a funeral stand or whatever they are called.

Nomadic tribes in the Great Plains region either buried their dead, if the ground was soft, or left them on tree platforms or on scaffolds, and this totally remindes me of that. To hear that this was to pay tribute to the Blackfoot makes total sense to me.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0613/9029/files/SHROUD_PLATFORM_36360c53-9f36-4484-aee4-1ab122eaa94b_grande.png?788

killramos
08-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Council aren't the ones picking.

Council are the only people who can put a stop to this charade, they are responsible as the citizens representatives in municipal government. Just because they aren't the ones checking the box in the committee does not absolve them of responsibility for the city's governance.

I have no idea why we can't just spend the allocation on optional choices that beautify the infrastructure instead of these stupid statement pieces, that by and large have universally backfired in council's faces and we are stuck with until they fall apart.

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Pic of said garbage pile?

http://wpmedia.calgaryherald.com/2017/08/cal080317-gya-5wp.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Unclear if pallets are part of the installation or not.

lilmira
08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
I like the pallets. They represent the canadian lumber industry. The orange pylons are also nice.

nismodrifter
08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
http://wpmedia.calgaryherald.com/2017/08/cal080317-gya-5wp.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Unclear if pallets are part of the installation or not.

Oh boy thanks for the laugh, totally made my morning.

I also liked the cows around town, the blue ring and this are total WTF

88CRX
08-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Looks like the construction crew got bored and fucked around with left over piles.

Also wonder how much they paid to drag any big boulders away they found during construction only to then buy these new boulder and install them… fucking ridiculous.

Seth1968
08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
How much does this and the blue ring cost? How much is a new MRI machine?

Again, where's the benefit to the taxpayers?

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 10:35 AM
Council are the only people who can put a stop to this charade, they are responsible as the citizens representatives in municipal government. Just because they aren't the ones checking the box in the committee does not absolve them of responsibility for the city's governance.

It isn't just a committee, it is a department. Council can barely get through their meetings as it is, they don't have the time to start micromanaging department budgets and voting on everything that department is doing.

Even if they vote on the final decision, they're still wasting money because if they vote it down, they'll have already paid for the thing they're voting on and just saving on installation. The city isn't going to make artists work on spec (nor should they, otherwise no good artists would ever want to do anything here, which means you'll rarely get anything worth approving, and you're ).

It's a no-win situation for council because it isn't a job they can, or want to do. And they aren't going to scrap the department altogether because the thing people hate more than a bad art project is saying you're scrapping public art altogether.

I have no idea why we can't just spend the allocation on optional choices that beautify the infrastructure instead of these stupid statement pieces, that by and large have universally backfired in council's faces and we are stuck with until they fall apart.

You've got the Blue Ring in which being as talked about as it is, has probably made it more iconic than any other art piece in the city. Hell, it's approaching landmark status with all the attention it gets. Places pay a whole lot more for stuff that gets completely forgotten.

Not sure I can think of anything else that has "universally backfired" and especially not anything that has caused anybody to lose their seat.

EDIT: As for my thoughts, this one is pretty lacking. It's one of these odd projects where had they made it much grander it would be a lot better. It's a crappy sport for a decent installation and it isn't big enough to really have a big impact when you're driving past at 80km/h. If it were 20 towers all along the road it would probably be really good as you drive past.

So I'm saying that if this were a $2.5M installation it would be a better use of money than as a $0.5M installation.

I understand the reasoning for opening it up internationally, but not using local Blackfoot artists for a Blackfoot inspired design is pretty bad optics.

killramos
08-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Something being stupid and embarrassing does not make it iconic.

Honestly council could spend a meeting shitting in a bucket and then subsequently taking a 6 month vacation and you would find a way to defend it. Does it not get exhausting having their balls so deep down your throat?

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
How much does this and the blue ring cost? How much is a new MRI machine?

Can't do much with just a machine which will cost you this art project on the cheap end for something mid-range (but $3M for one the taxpayer deserves). You also have to pay a Blue Ring just to build the room to put the machine in (since you can't just put a giant magnet into any old room). Then there are the operating costs which aren't cheap (hundreds of dollars an hour).

asp integra
08-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Oh great, we can't have nice facilities and arenas and field houses, but we can have this crap and the blue ring????????:guns:

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Something being stupid and embarrassing does not make it iconic.

Honestly council could spend a meeting shitting in a bucket and then subsequently taking a 6 month vacation and you would find a way to defend it. Does it not get exhausting having their balls so deep down your throat?

If you think the council is stupid and embarrassing for allowing crappy public art installations, how would the Blue Ring be considered anything but iconic?

schocker
08-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I like the pallets. They represent the canadian lumber industry. The orange pylons are also nice.
Sorry bud, for those to be included would be another $100k :rofl:

I am ok with spending money on art with capital projects, but to have no cap is very silly. For them to say, "boy at 1% of $71 mm we came in $210k under budget!" is absurd along with again using non-local artistry (Something to do with the contract being enough that it has to be open tender?). Also that the more expensive the art, the shoddier it looks.

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Oh great, we can't have nice facilities and arenas and field houses, but we can have this crap and the blue ring????????:guns:

$1.13B for Calgary NEXT according to CSEC.

After giving them the money for this and the Blue Ring (and the Peace Bridge, and the George C. King Bridge, and the Cycle Track, and the mayor and council salaries for their entire three year term) the remaining cost of Calgary NEXT is...

$1.07B

Maybe just have a whip-round at work to cover the rest?

Seth1968
08-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Can't do much with just a machine which will cost you this art project on the cheap end for something mid-range (but $3M for one the taxpayer deserves). You also have to pay a Blue Ring just to build the room to put the machine in (since you can't just put a giant magnet into any old room). Then there are the operating costs which aren't cheap (hundreds of dollars an hour).

Ya, that's fine. My question of the mri was rhetorical.

AGAIN FFS.

What benefit to the taxpayers?

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Ya, that's fine. My question of the mri was rhetorical.

Well now you know that MRIs cost a lot more than you think.

What benefit to the taxpayers?

People generally support public art. So the benefit is providing funding to something they generally support. Simple as that.

bigbadboss101
08-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Just put an NSX there.

HiTempguy1
08-04-2017, 12:11 PM
People generally support public art

No they don't, what a bunch of assfuckingly pedantic language you are using. People generally support the IDEA of public art. They don't support abstract shit almost EVER. No different than the fucking silver balls in Edmonton.

You do understand that $500k could pay for 2 jobs for 5 years right? Compared to this shit that went to some wealthy trust funder whose life is "art" and has been going to school for over a decade because they aren't paying for it.

civic_stylez
08-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Man i got into the wrong profession. If i had known all it took to be a designer/architect was to do crystal meth and scribble an idea on paper and collect 500k, I would have saved my education funds.

revelations
08-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Blue ring - bad location (better spot would have been on the river) and bad lighting (needs internal LEDs instead of the horseshit lights slapped on top), otherwise neat

Steel beam - good location, but the rust colour is DEPLORABLE. A paint job (fuck just get some tremclad) of a decent, uniform, earthy colour (black, grey, off white, etc.) , would have made a HUGE difference.

NOTE - city policy is to put up bids (NAFTA) for art projects larger than certain dollar amount.

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 12:39 PM
No they don't, what a bunch of assfuckingly pedantic language you are using. People generally support the IDEA of public art. They don't support abstract shit almost EVER. [/b]

Okay, so they support the idea of public art but don't support the creation of public art? What the fuck are you trying to say?

You do understand that $500k could pay for 2 jobs for 5 years right?

Do people support the IDEA of the government paying two people for five years for no other reason than to use up a budget item?

Classic Dipper thinking right there.

Compared to this shit that went to some wealthy trust funder whose life is "art" and has been going to school for over a decade because they aren't paying for it.

Who the hell are you talking about?

lilmira
08-04-2017, 12:40 PM
We should submit design for the next location, I got a few ideas. My price is fair, half of whatever the other guy is charging.

revelations
08-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Do people support the IDEA of the government paying two people for five years for no other reason than to use up a budget item?

That 1% Art budget (I think its 1%) should be reduced to 0.5% and capped at 200,000$.

500,000$ would pay for more staff at the CPS, especially front line staff - dealing with all the shit in 4 district - who are chronically understaffed.

kertejud2
08-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Blue ring - bad location (better spot would have been on the river) and bad lighting (needs internal LEDs instead of the horseshit lights slapped on top), otherwise neat

Just going for it and installing an orange ring somewhere else in the city would also bump up the popularity and open up options in the future for public interaction.

Steel beam - good location, but the rust colour is DEPLORABLE. A paint job (fuck just get some tremclad) of a decent, uniform, earthy colour (black, grey, off white, etc.) , would have made a HUGE difference.

Corten steel is all the rage for its low maintenance and rugged look (numerous art pieces around the city use it, Quarry Park and Poppy Plaza being the notable ones). Make things look old when everything around it is rather new.

It's definitely overused, just like horses and Stampeditecture in this city. But it tends to keep costs down of maintaining the installations for the future, so it probably won't be going away.

That 1% Art budget (I think its 1%) should be reduced to 0.5% and capped at 200,000$.

City of Calgary capital projects over $1 million allocate 1% of the first $50 million of eligible project costs and 0.5% of the portion over $50 million to public art, up to a maximum of $4 million per project.
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Public-Art/Mandate-and-funding.aspx

I like the funding model since it goes to fund everything art related in the city that isn't just the big ones that get attention (like the Blue Ring and this one), but to maintaining the old ones. Since all projects aren't eligible building up the funding base is important IMO. There needs to be room for growth as well as maintaining what is already here (both the good and the not-so-good).

dubhead
08-04-2017, 02:40 PM
You do understand that $500k could pay for 2 jobs for 5 years right? Compared to this shit that went to some wealthy trust funder whose life is "art" and has been going to school for over a decade because they aren't paying for it.

Yeah because the city put 500k in an envelope and sent it to the artist it's not like local trades were hired to build the thing...:banghead:

NoSup4U
08-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Yeah because the city put 500k in an envelope and sent it to the artist it's not like local trades were hired to build the thing...:banghead:

THIS!!

Yes, it is fucking hideous, but I'm getting sick of the complaints/ arguments about the spend. This was built into the budget of the project (like every infrastructure project), it is not an extra 500k they decided to spend.

Public art is great, but the group that is making the decisions is not. I'm sure this design looked great as they were all standing around smelling each others farts, but it doesn't cut it for the majority.

I would like to know if local and/or indigenous artists were even commissioned to submit a proposal.

Sentry
08-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Hey, if a tanker truck crashes coming into the city and spills its jet fuel there at least it'll still be standing.

Darell_n
08-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Step 1 now complete...

AndyL
08-04-2017, 06:35 PM

Wait till you see the lawsuit...

suntan
08-04-2017, 08:18 PM
THIS!!

Yes, it is fucking hideous, but I'm getting sick of the complaints/ arguments about the spend. This was built into the budget of the project (like every infrastructure project), it is not an extra 500k they decided to spend.

Public art is great, but the group that is making the decisions is not. I'm sure this design looked great as they were all standing around smelling each others farts, but it doesn't cut it for the majority.

I would like to know if local and/or indigenous artists were even commissioned to submit a proposal.Is your level of financial knowledge so low that you think if something is "budgeted" that the money appears out of nowhere?

HiTempguy1
08-04-2017, 10:08 PM

Were they? How do you know? The majority of the money probably went to the "designer/artist".

J-D
08-04-2017, 10:35 PM
I drive by this every morning on my way to work. I'm ok with the art budget if it's something cool (I like the fish on Glenmore), but this is fucking ugly.

Agreed. I like the fish on Glenmore. The peace bridge looks pretty cool. I'm okay with the city spending extra to make the city look nicer, but you have to wonder how they have picked these last few...

and the new one on 17 Ave:

Tik-Tok
08-04-2017, 11:18 PM
We should submit design for the next location, I got a few ideas. My price is fair, half of whatever the other guy is charging.

My piece will be quite expensive. It will begin with tower that will be the center piece of the project. As a nod to the desolation of man, it will be surrounded by approximately 2 miles of asphalt, in a loop around it, with varying elevations, and twists, just like mans mind. In an avante garde manner, there will be one single set of traffic lights on the asphalt, with one red light, one green light, and 3 yellow. All this, plus a seating section that will hold thousands to observe and analyze this artistic masterpiece.

It will not be cheap, however, I believe it will be far more popular than the current ones.

J-hop
08-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Would be kind of cool if the city had a larger picture plan that made some sort of message for visitors far in the future. Something like old egyption architecture lining up with true north.

Something to tell aliens thousands of years from now that intelligent life did exist at one point in Calgary.

Maxt
08-05-2017, 05:01 AM
It might be only a fraction of what money is needed for other projects, but its still money and its still what is needed to get the needed things done. Your house needs a new roof for 5000.00 , which you will have to borrow for, because you don't have that kind of money, but since you have to go the bank to borrow it anyway, you may as well piss away the 400 in your pocket on pokemon go and fidget spinners...
This is reflective in that you have an organization that is having its own fun with public dollars, instead of actually managing public dollars...

speedog
08-05-2017, 06:00 AM
IMO a proper racetrack with an oval, drag strip, road course and a kart track would be a very beautiful thing, some might even consider it art.

dubhead
08-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Were they? How do you know? The majority of the money probably went to the "designer/artist".

I know contractors who work in the industry, also from the city's website "Creating a piece of public art is often a very large undertaking. There are artists, engineers, material suppliers, fabricators, construction professionals, landscape architects and installers involved. All of these contractors are paid out of the public art budget. Very often, a good majority of that money stays in Calgary - even when the artist is not from here. In 2015, 79% of contractors hired for public art projects were Calgary-based." Also is it really that big of a stretch to think we would hire local contractors to build something here?

edit. I don't have solid numbers for what Calgary pays to the artist but a quick poke around google says most public art budgets 20-25% for artist fees, hardly the majority of the budget. Further poking finds that Vancouver pays 15-20% and states to get 20% the work better be exceptional.

firebane
08-05-2017, 08:06 AM
I heard about that stupid key art project and reminds me of the key bridge in Paris
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e6/5c/a3/e65ca3c44d3d7fd253217c37c9f4a7ea.jpg

Also article on BR 2.0
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/04/calgarys-latest-public-art-fiasco-has-politicians-and-the-public-demanding-something-be-done

J-hop
08-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Honestly, I *THINK* I am ok with this one. When I first saw this, I immediately thought of death rituals and the importance of the beliefs of the Natives that used to roam the praries. This totally reminds me of a funeral stand or whatever they are called.

Nomadic tribes in the Great Plains region either buried their dead, if the ground was soft, or left them on tree platforms or on scaffolds, and this totally remindes me of that. To hear that this was to pay tribute to the Blackfoot makes total sense to me.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0613/9029/files/SHROUD_PLATFORM_36360c53-9f36-4484-aee4-1ab122eaa94b_grande.png?788

I've been doing some research into this and they are definitely not burial stands and are not intended to look like them.

Calgary herald discusses what they are supposed to represent. They are supposed to represent the 4 seasons, 4 directions, 4 elements and 4 stages of life in honour of the aboriginal heritage in the region (Blackfoot).

Anyone that has taken low level social studies knows there is absolutely nothing about those meanings that is unique to or representative of the Blackfoot culture as echoed by a community member in the article. I also can not find any indication that the Blackfoot built "sentinels". All around a major fail at accomplishing its goal:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/new-500000-public-art-installed-along-the-trans-canada-highway

rage2
08-05-2017, 08:28 AM
I heard about that stupid key art project and reminds me of the key bridge in Paris
The locks in Paris symbolizes unbreakable love. The keys on 17th is quite a fitting project for the red mile haha.

Mario38
08-05-2017, 11:00 AM
For future art projects (and there will be many), I would like to see proposals submitted and allow the public to vote. There are so many easy and inexpensive ways to conduct online poles.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2017, 11:17 AM
My opinion on this new art installation varies depending on how much cheap beer I have had. Considering the beers are around a dollar thirty a can, the budget for this thing could keep me pretty drunk.

spikerS
08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
I've been doing some research into this and they are definitely not burial stands and are not intended to look like them.

Calgary herald discusses what they are supposed to represent. They are supposed to represent the 4 seasons, 4 directions, 4 elements and 4 stages of life in honour of the aboriginal heritage in the region (Blackfoot).

Anyone that has taken low level social studies knows there is absolutely nothing about those meanings that is unique to or representative of the Blackfoot culture as echoed by a community member in the article. I also can not find any indication that the Blackfoot built "sentinels". All around a major fail at accomplishing its goal:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/new-500000-public-art-installed-along-the-trans-canada-highway

Well, I stand corrected I guess. I made my assumptions before the explanation, and I thought for sure I was right, especially when I heard the refrence to the Blackfoot. Would have made so much more sense. Now I can join the rank and file and say WTF?

kertejud2
08-05-2017, 04:03 PM
Local artists weigh in on the public art talk.

https://www.facebook.com/incandescentcloud/posts/1526436254081398

The first question is easy to address: public art costs so much because it’s treated as infrastructure. Even the “blue ring,” often considered Calgary’s most infamous artwork, was subject to the intense scrutiny of being required to embody both a standard streetlight fixture and a public sculpture: http://ingesidee.de/project.php?dvopgid=124&lang=en&id=113. It was REQUIRED to serve the function of both, and it HAD to be embedded in a bridge (which I’m sure is the main reason for the seemingly high price). By comparison, Cloud Gate by Anish Kapoor in Chicago (perhaps one of the most successful public artworks in the world) has an annual CLEANING budget of $35-50,000 USD for buffing and maintenance alone. http://anishkapoor.com/210/cloud-gate

Again helps explain why Corten steel is so popular. Very little cleaning and maintenance costs required. Such costs come out of the same funding model.

What’s more, there’s a misconception that Calgary is pouring gold doubloons into the pockets of some wealthy New York City artist. Trust me, the artists are pocketing very little of this ca$h. Most of the money is going to fabricators, project management, engineering, installation, contractors, specialist fees, heavy equipment, raw materials, rigorous testing, and any number of invisible substructures intended for our safety. There is a net infusion back into local economies. In fact, the bulk of most public art money is spent in our city, on the workers who help build and install these projects. It’s pretty big bang for buck!

I have a feeling this kind of explanation will see $500,000 both being an unacceptably high amount to spend as well as so insignificant to the relevant industries it isn't even worth talking about as a benefit.

There is an argument to be made for favouring local talent (CanCon!) but we need to acknowledge that we’re living in a globalized arts community, and it’s important that there be space for international voices and expertise in Calgary. Reciprocally, Calgarian voices should be allowed to occupy space in other cities: it’s a cultural exchange. But despite Calgary Public Art’s attempts at reaching out to local artists (both through Calls for Submissions and educations programs like Public Art 101), in relation to the large number of practicing artists in our city, there are very few local artists interested in, or able to, make the leap from making small-scale works to large-scale public art commissions without many steps in between. Perhaps they’re turned off by the bureaucracy. Perhaps they value their freedom. Perhaps they don’t want to be slayed by the press (cough, Rick Bell, cough). Perhaps their chosen medium doesn’t translate into public art. But more likely, the leap is just so big it’s intimidating.

The calls for public votes certainly wouldn't be appealing, especially since the only way you wouldn't waste money is to ask artists to work on spec before openly rejecting their ideas. Not going to get too many people jumping at that opportunity.

J-hop
08-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Cultural exchange is great but that kind of ignores the fact that people value their culture. Funds for cultural projects should celebrate not dilute a culture shouldn't they?

msommers
08-05-2017, 06:17 PM

SCHIDER23
08-07-2017, 08:58 AM
^exactly:rofl::rofl:

civic_stylez
08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
http://www.townsquarebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/9-11-Twisted-Steel-Beam.jpg

honestly reminds me of a 9/11 memorial. I dont think in highlights any of the features of our city. :facepalm:

jwslam
08-07-2017, 09:54 AM
do people support the idea of the government paying two people for five years for no other reason than to use up a budget item?
mincome for all!

Gart
08-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Intentionally went out of my way to drive by this yesterday. I thought it wasn't as bad in person as the photos would lead me to believe. The view from street level (we were under the bridge, westbound) is slightly different too, so that helped (But maybe it's just because the whole area is still a construction zone so it fits in place haha. Mind you Calgary is in construction constantly, so maybe this is just forward thinking?).

The gf, with no prior bias, gave it a "it looks kind of cool" rating.
Still not my favourite, but not one that I'll overly complain about in the city.

OTown
08-07-2017, 02:28 PM
This legitimately looks like the steel girders that they used for the new overpass at Macleod/22X. Not even joking.

I drove by it a few nights ago, and it looks like an unfinished construction project. Not quite sure how 'artistic' that is.

schurchill39
08-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Now it looks like at least one city council member is trying to freeze the public art fund "after the latest controversial installation".
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-councillor-calling-for-freeze-to-public-arts-funding

Flashbacks to Calgary’s infamous Giant Blue Ring are troubling a city councillor who hopes to put a freeze on public art funding after the latest controversial installation — the $500,000 Bowfort Towers.

Coun. Sean Chu plans to put forth the motion when council reconvenes in September. He said the temporary halt to funding would be a practical measure to help ensure Calgarians survive in a struggling economy.

“If someone lost their job, do you think they’re going to buy some expensive art to put on the wall? No. They’re going to buy food first,” said Chu. “We have to listen to people. It’s our job.”

Last week, the Bowfort Road overpass art project, a quartet of steel poles holding Rundle stone aloft, was unveiled along the Trans-Canada Highway at Canada Olympic Park. The project, which enlisted New York artist Del Geist, sparked public outrage with criticism over its price tag, location and perceived lack of consultation with Indigenous people.

Chu agreed to put forward the motion after talking with Colin Craig, interim Alberta director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, on Friday.

“It’s certainly inappropriate for the city to be spending millions on public art when Calgary is leading the nation in unemployment,” said Craig. “Certainly, the price tag for the exhibit is raising a lot of eyebrows — and for good reason.”

Craig said a better alternative would be pushing public art projects from the public to the private sector — financed by corporate sponsorships or donations.

A similar motion, to temporarily slash public arts funding, was put forward by Coun. Peter Demong in February 2015. Chu supported the proposal two years ago, but it didn’t garner enough support to move forward.

Chu hopes council members rethink their position this time around.

However, some of Chu’s colleagues are calling for a less abrupt approach.

Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra thinks a discussion on whether public art should be funded is “unfortunate” considering public art is proven to make a city more desirable.

“I, personally, am a supporter of our public art process and the approved approach we took following the outrage surrounding the Giant Blue Ring,” said Carra.

Although he said he doesn’t particularly like the Bowfort Towers, he said people are “overly outraged.”

“Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water,” he said.

In 2014, the city tweaked its public art policy.

One of the biggest changes was made to how it’s funded. Under the new policy, one per cent of any large infrastructure project under $50 million goes to public art, while projects over $50 million see half of one per cent of their budget put toward esthetics. Council also brought in a $4 million cap for public art.

Previously, one per cent of the budget for all projects over $1 million went toward public art.

The amendments to the policy also added two new members to the selection committee, looked to increase local artist involvement and focused on lifting restrictions that placed art in less-favourable locations.

Despite the focus on local talent, two artists from New York were chosen to create the Bowfort piece. They were able to apply for the open competition because of international trade agreements.

Over the past few days, many Calgarians have turned to social media to voice their anger at the city’s choice and condemned the decision to push money outside of the province. Carra said this is unreasonable, considering 80 per cent of the $500,000 went to Calgary construction firms.

Unlike Chu, he isn’t concerned with funding.

He thinks the policy should only change if it becomes clear it appropriated Blackfoot culture.

At the unveiling of the Bowfort Towers on Thursday, Sarah Iley, manager of arts and culture for Calgary, said the piece is meant to align with Blackfoot symbolism. Since its unveiling, many people have commented on the lack of consultation with Indigenous peoples and condemned the city for not hiring a local Blackfoot artist.

Although Chu is supporting a freeze on public arts funding, he said more public input is necessary if the policy remains. Rather than several people making the final decision, he thinks residents should be able to vote for their favourite proposals online — making the process more democratic and less bureaucratic.

SCHIDER23
08-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Corrupt process, the idiots who select the "artists" seem to always go for out of country talent, been foreign art is more classy I guess.... this POS is supposed to represent the Blackfoot culture, yet they were never consulted lmao, like others have said it looks like a burial site...

asp integra
08-08-2017, 03:14 PM
This 'artist' really likes rocks on sticks...

http://www.delgeist.com/images/JAMA-WEB.jpg
http://www.delgeist.com/images/HoheSteinschlitten1.jpg
http://www.delgeist.com/images/JejuPasu550.jpg

Rocket1k78
08-08-2017, 04:31 PM
I havent seen this in person but i already know i would rather see this than the blue ring. Watched the news yesterday and there was a local artist who was part of the Blackfoot tribe and he submitted a piece but missed the deadline, you would figure a piece with so much meaning towards the Blackfoot tribe they wouldve involved them lol

schurchill39
08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Tsuut'ina Nation wants to see a redesign

Tsuut'ina Nation wants to see a redesign/ (http://globalnews.ca/news/3656299/tsuutina-nation-wants-to-see-bowfort-towers-art-installation-redesigned/)

Tik-Tok
08-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Corrupt process, the idiots who select the "artists" seem to always go for out of country talent, been foreign art is more classy I guess.... this POS is supposed to represent the Blackfoot culture, yet they were never consulted lmao, like others have said it looks like a burial site...

They legally have to, as part of a trade agreement. If they choose local artists over competing offers from abroad, they would get sued.

Tsuut'ina Nation wants to see a redesign

Tsuut'ina Nation wants to see a redesign/ (http://globalnews.ca/news/3656299/tsuutina-nation-wants-to-see-bowfort-towers-art-installation-redesigned/)

If they're going to pony up the money, then I say let them. Otherwise let's not waste anymore money on this elevated trash pile (except when it's time to send it to the scrap yard)

Rocket1k78
08-09-2017, 09:28 AM
They legally have to, as part of a trade agreement. If they choose local artists over competing offers from abroad, they would get sued.

I thought i saw on the news that they have to source it out if it gets over a certain price point.

Mitsu3000gt
08-09-2017, 09:32 AM
That looks like actual garbage left on the side of the road, or something left behind after a bomb was dropped.

killramos
08-09-2017, 09:36 AM
tsuut'ina nation wants to see a chunk of the dough

tsuut'ina nation wants to see a redesign/ (http://globalnews.ca/news/3656299/tsuutina-nation-wants-to-see-bowfort-towers-art-installation-redesigned/)

ftfy

That looks like actual garbage left on the side of the road, or something left behind after a bomb was dropped.

Think of it as making our country more familiar to all the syrians we are letting in :rofl:

msommers
08-09-2017, 10:41 AM
If they're going to pony up the money, then I say let them. Otherwise let's not waste anymore money on this elevated trash pile (except when it's time to send it to the scrap yard)

The city should chalk this up as a lesson learned and get rid of it.

With regards to asking the public, how would they do this? A website? Ok but that's a lot of the public unable to vote so you probably have to mail something out, then receive mailed votes back and pay people to go through that, setup a secure voting website and confirmation system you live in Calgary. And we all know how financially effective governments are. Letting the public vote would probably double the cost per project.

Still better than wasting $500k on something no one likes, even council! I'd be happy with half the art projects if it meant the majority of the population liked them.

It's ironic that one council member said public art makes a city more appealing but no one finds the art appealing to begin with. Do something like Montreal, setup a public circus much like Cirque du Soleil, that's outside, free and available to anyone. I happened to be in town and it was incredible! Or LA's liquid shard, an incredible piece! I'm a huge proponent of public art but Do art that's worthwhile, not cram in a bunch of mediocre pieces across the city to make it "appealing."

Tik-Tok
08-09-2017, 10:47 AM
The city should chalk this up as a lesson learned and get rid of it.
I'm a huge proponent of public art but Do art that's worthwhile, not cram in a bunch of mediocre pieces across the city to make it "appealing."

Not just that, but also put it in spots people can actually enjoy them. All these terrible art pieces are also in terrible places. No one wants to see art while they're driving by at 90km/h, they want to stroll around looking at it.

schurchill39
08-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Something like Wonderland (the giant head outside of the Bow) is super cool. If they are going to continue to invest in art, it should be at least up to that caliber. Crooked piles and some rocks just plain looks stupid.

davidI
08-12-2017, 09:19 AM
While overseas I continuously meet travelers who remember the colourful cows/bulls placed around the city.

As someone else stated, there needs to be a theme or something memorable / attractive that actually draws visitors. The jellybean in Chicago. The water shows in front of Bellagio/Dubai Marina. Hell, even the giant dinosaur in Drumheller or Star Trek thing in Vulcan.

In an age of social media shares and gofuckyourselfies we're really dropping the ball on art that will draw visitors to the city.

I think giant wood carvings that represent the nature around us would be cool. Or giant glass / chrome snowflakes that reflect the green/blue colours of summer. Or even a fake forest park that lights up like the one in Singapore.

ianmcc
08-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Link to COC Public Art.

https://maps.calgary.ca/PublicArt/

A Public Arts 101 link as well.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Pages/Public-Art/Public-Art-101.aspx

BTW the Jumping Trout on Glenmore only cost us $46K in artists fees.

https://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Documents/Public-art/Percent-for-Public-Art-Jumping-Trout.pdf

jwslam
08-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Hell, even the giant dinosaur in Drumheller or Star Trek thing in Vulcan.

Apparently Alberta has a big list of "world's largest" shit. Glendon AB... who even decided that the world needed one of those :rofl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_of_the_Prairies

FraserB
08-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Glad to see the love for the Glenmore Trail fish, considering I had to pressure wash the majority of those walls and then hang out in a manlift with a paintbrush to get the colour transition painted

Maxt
08-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Just think, for probably the same amount of money, we could have mounted a brand new Mclaren on a pole and got more public appreciation of it...
If they are going to keep blowing money on visual displays, I'd like to see things that line up more of what made Calgary what it is and what made it what it is... Displays of some of the machinery or oil infrastructure..
Be like the rainbow sheikh..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8GdadQzMeo

suntan
08-13-2017, 10:47 AM
BTW the Jumping Trout on Glenmore only cost us $46K in artists fees.

https://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreation/Documents/Public-art/Percent-for-Public-Art-Jumping-Trout.pdf

You do understand that the total cost of the fish didn't cost $46K, right?

The fish art is interesting because it kickstarted the whole "1% goes to art" policy.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

ianmcc
08-13-2017, 10:58 AM
You do understand that the total cost of the fish didn't cost $46K, right?

The fish art is interesting because it kickstarted the whole "1% goes to art" policy.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Yes-that's why I stated artist's fees.

Chantastic
08-14-2017, 02:18 PM
As a local artist, I do feel the need to chime in here and at least offer some information on public art. Please note that I am not offering an opinion on the piece, and am instead just looking to spread information so people stop complaining about the same things every time a new, large scale public art installation is created in the city (it's wasting tax payer dollars and if we're going to do that at least give it to someone local). kertejud2 has already posted a facebook link to local artists Caitlind Brown and Wayne Garrett's post, but I will post a direct link here for anyone who wants to read it and not be on facebook if you're at work: https://incandescentcloud.com/2017/08/06/why-does-public-art-cost-so-much/

Here are some cliff notes if you don't have the time.

- a traffic light can cost between $250-500k to create
- these large budget projects ARE offered to local artists like myself, but how many Canadians, let alone Calgarians, actually apply (would you be comfortable handling a $500k budget)?
- letting foreign artists create works in the city is a two way street. Supporting the local economy and artists is great (thank you), but if all the cities in the world said that only locals are allowed to create public artwork, that would close the door to cultural exchange.
- the artists who created the work are NOT getting paid $500k. That is the cost of the project including a (much smaller) artist fee. The majority of that budget is being spent on materials and construction costs, feeding back into the economy through a local manufacturer (same company who fabricated the blue ring, right here in cowtown)
- large scale projects like this (over $75k) by international trade agreements are forced to be an international call for applicants (though locals may still apply)
- public art in the city is not taking funds away from homelessness, education, fixing pot holes etc. anymore than other city spending

On a personal note, if you feel like public art is a waste of money because not everyone can appreciate it or we didn't need it, how do you feel about having public parks? Not everyone appreciates or needs those either, yet parks and other recreational spending are hardly scrutinized. Public art is a scape goat.

If you actually read all this, thank you. If you still hate public art, that's fine, but at least now you know some of the decision making and policies behind it.

90_Shelby
08-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Drove by it on the weekend and I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's no where near as bad as the blue ring.

On the same note, spending more money to tear it down, change it etc. is also a waste of tax dollars.

HiTempguy1
08-14-2017, 03:28 PM
anymore than other city spending

Shit is still shit even if you spray it with febreeze. Poor financial handling of city finances does not justify poor art spending.

Chantastic
08-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Shit is still shit even if you spray it with febreeze. Poor financial handling of city finances does not justify poor art spending.

I'm not saying it does, just pointing out that public art is a huge scape goat in the city when there are other areas that go over looked

Sugarphreak
08-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Chantastic
08-16-2017, 03:33 AM
I agree on many points you've made and I totally understand where you (and the vast majority) are coming from when you feel that many artists are painfully vain and egotistical. I get it. I've encountered many over my years in the arts field. I can't confirm that this is the case with the artist duo that made this current work in debate as I haven't met them and am not familiar with their practice, but whether the work is actually any good or not is of course subjective. You could take some of the most iconic public artworks from around the world that in other cities are cherished and bring them here, and people would likely feel like they are a waste of money. The reverse may also be true. As such, as far as applications are concerned the city would likely be looking at past installations the artist has completed, their references, and CV just like any other job application. It's certainly not a perfect system, but at the moment I don't see any perfect solutions either.

As far as the bidding on locations is concerned, given the current public art climate I'd be doubtful that any large company would be willing to sponsor any artist/artwork in fear of public outcry and a damaged reputation. For the most part public artwork in the city has only drawn negative attention, save for the cows, but those are quite ancient now. With no funding from companies to produce the work, unfortunately very few artists in the city would be able to create the work, let alone pay a bid for the space.

Edit: I'd also like to add that by making artists bid on the space and having sponsors fund the creation of the work means that, unless you're thinking otherwise, then no one pays the artist and that art is deemed valueless. Public exposure is not a paycheck for artists. Paying artists with public exposure is a large part of why the starving artist stereotype exists. An artists time is worth money just like any other job. You may not like the work they make, so then don't pick them, but you can't expect artists to work for free (no one should work for free either).

msommers
08-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Public art is necessary and there's actually quite a few nice pieces in Calgary if you check their website linked already.

I'd prefer for Calgary to not look like east Berlin. They need a better system to approve what gets constructed so this project and the blue ring don't ever see the light of day.

HiTempguy1
08-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Public Art is unnecessary

I don't know if I agree with this, but I personally would rather the funds be put into a system that helps beautify shithole areas. Its amazing what some fresh concrete and a tax-break for fixing up the outside of your house/store will do. All of the "revitalized" areas in Edmonton are becoming so much less of an eyesore. That matters to most people, nobody likes driving through or walking around the fucking ghetto.

But instead, we get chunks of rusty steel beams (Calgary) or a pyramid of fucking silver balls randomly next to a bridge (edmonton).