PDA

View Full Version : Detached garage question

ragu
08-10-2017, 09:36 AM
My parents are looking to build a detached garage on their triangle lot. Imagine an upside down triangle. One side of the triangle already has a gravel pad but puts the garage at an awkward angle. If garage goes on the other side, the angles/ landscaping is sorted.

However, gas/eletric/telus lines run parallel through it. Gas line is sleeved. Can we build a garage on top of all three lines? What issues might come up in future, and will they be on hook for these?

jwslam
08-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Pretty sure you're not allowed to build on a right of way (utilities). They have the right to tear it all down if they need to get access, and you're on the hook for all tear-down charges.

*edit* you could also work with utils to see if you can move them. Tonnes of excavating but may be worth it?

jaylo
08-10-2017, 11:11 AM
I got my gas line sleeved for a hefty $3K during my one to two car garage conversion.

Other utilities like gas or electric I do not think you can place a permanent structure over it.

jwslam's suggestion could work, either way you have to pay to get them moved.

Or re-landscape the original area is probably the cheaper option.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-10-2017, 10:44 PM
From a CoC brochure:

Provincial regulations prohibit the construction of
a garage over a gas line. If you are faced with this
problem, you can either move the garage at least
30 cm (1 ft) from the gas line or have the service
line relocated. For more information, contact your
gas service provider.

Doesn't say anything about electrical/comms, you could probably ask the provider. Chances are they will say go ahead, but if they have to service it any additional costs or damages are on you.

From a different CoC page:

For information about building near or over gas lines, contact ATCO Gas at 403-245-7888.

If you have any questions regarding clearance from utility lines and boxes, contact ENMAX at 403-514-6100​.

No structures are permitted to be built in a utility right-of-way.

I'd opt to relocate the utilities if you can't make the landscaping work on the other side. You could possibly use the new utility trench to run your services to the garage, worth an ask.

pfis300
08-11-2017, 02:10 PM
gas lines are hard piped, electrical is not - generally they can pull the cable whereas they cannot pull piping as easily from under a structure.

Tik-Tok
08-11-2017, 02:31 PM
My garage was poured on top of the gas line before such a rule existed. I hope to hell we never have to get it replaced/repaired. (ditto with the sewage line, which is much more likely to need work done)