PDA

View Full Version : Brad Wall retires from politics

kertejud2
08-10-2017, 11:33 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/brad-wall-facebook-announcement-1.4241711

Going from a potential federal Conservative leadership candidate to out of politics.

Derek Fildebrandt will be so happy that this news came out today.

ExtraSlow
08-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Glorious day comrades! Now the NDP can govern Saskatchewan as well and bring tightly controlled and fully planned prosperity to the masses by punishing thosee capitalist dogs who steal our wealth!

dj_patm
08-10-2017, 01:32 PM
nvm

Xtrema
08-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Glorious day comrades! Now the NDP can govern Saskatchewan as well and bring tightly controlled and fully planned prosperity to the masses by punishing thosee capitalist dogs who steal our wealth!

Don't know if you are joking or not but it's happening....

In May, a Mainstreet Research poll suggested Wall’s party had dropped steeply in voter support and had fallen nine points behind the leaderless Opposition New Democrats.

Looks like PST and austerity measure brought down Wall.

Masked Bandit
08-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Wall has seen a steep decline in his popularity over the past six or eight months. I can't remember exactly what measures he brought in but I remember my folks being some kind of pissed with him. Previous to that the man could do no wrong.

kertejud2
08-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Wall has seen a steep decline in his popularity over the past six or eight months. I can't remember exactly what measures he brought in but I remember my folks being some kind of pissed with him. Previous to that the man could do no wrong.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3327760/how-global-news-is-covering-saskatchewan-budget-2017/

To sum it up for what would irk people

Raised PST 1% (and also removed a bunch of exemptions) and sin taxes.
Cut university funding
Cut bus services (that were not profitable but considered a necessary service by many)
Still projected a deficit

So more taxes, less services, and still being in the red anyway is going to hurt anybody's popularity.

Uncle Flappy
08-10-2017, 06:01 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/3327760/how-global-news-is-covering-saskatchewan-budget-2017/

To sum it up for what would irk people

Raised PST 1% (and also removed a bunch of exemptions) and sin taxes.
Cut university funding
Cut bus services (that were not profitable but considered a necessary service by many)
Still projected a deficit

So more taxes, less services, and still being in the red anyway is going to hurt anybody's popularity.

Food and restaurants used to be exempt from the 5% PST, and now both are applicable to a 6% tax.

ExtraSlow
08-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Only the ndp understands the true path to prosperity is to rain the riches of the government down upon the population like a golden shower. Brad Wall and his stupid Conservative ideology are proven to be a sham and the people have woken up to this undesputable fact.

schurchill39
08-11-2017, 07:32 AM
The worst part about this is that Brad Wall as a huge supporter of the west, and the industries that make us prosperous. The only hope Saskatchewan has is that hopefully there are enough old-timers and farmers that remember what the NDP did to that province the last time they were in power and stop the forever-schoolers from voting those idiots in.

HiTempguy1
08-11-2017, 11:01 AM
You can only give Wall so much credit. End of the day, Sask has exactly.squat for power. While I appreciate his efforts, I don't think he ever had an actual affect on anything.

Sad but true. Quebec and Ontario run this country unless someone from the west is prime minister. And even then, its mostly window dressing.

dj_patm
08-11-2017, 11:18 AM
He rode shotgun on $100 oil and the province is now back in trouble so yeah. I don't understand the credit economically at least. Same issue the PC's went through but at least Alberta turned into somewhat of a power through their boom and attracted a lot of talent that is still hanging around (for now at least).

SkiBum5.0
08-11-2017, 11:26 PM
HiTemp at his best again. I heard someone describe Wall's time in office like this. He gave Sask residents hope. The leader of the NDP prior to Wall's term famously said that Sask should barely tow the line of a have not province. Wouldn't want too much success and have to give it away. Like driving to a welfare office in a Lexus.
Wall took the stance that Sask should be opportunistic, and not so interested in absolute security. His undoing was an austerity program that had to happen. He refused to mail it in and run up debt before leaving office. I respect him for that alone, let alone his other accomplishments.

Xtrema
08-11-2017, 11:41 PM
His undoing was an austerity program that had to happen. He refused to mail it in and run up debt before leaving office. I respect him for that alone, let alone his other accomplishments.

Well, it's also a pretty good move. Drop in a bad tasting budget, quit and take all the blame so the new guy comes in with sort of a clean slate and hope party will recover. It worked for the Liberals in BC after the whole HST debacle.

And really, it's been 10 years. Just like Klein's winding years, people within the party are itching to take over.

HiTempguy1
08-12-2017, 08:24 AM
HiTemp at his best again. I heard someone describe Wall's time in office like this. He gave Sask residents hope.

I never said what he did for Sask. I was replying to churchills post. He did not change anything in a federal sense. I wish he could have, but the demographics simply aren't in any of the wests' favour.

And did he change much for Sask? I don't know. Again, I think a lot more credit is given to him then is due. If oil stays low, and potash isn't booming, Sask is in some trouble.