PDA

View Full Version : Which car would you choose from these 5

89coupe
08-11-2017, 01:51 PM
A buddy of mine is looking for a new car to replace his S4. He's considering one of these 5, any of you have any experience with them?

pfis300
08-11-2017, 02:05 PM
My good buddy and neighbor has a C43 Coupe, beautiful car and performs flawlessly - only comment would be to not get it with the optional runflats as it sacrifices comfort when you can just call roadside assistance.
His neighbor and another friend of ours has a C43 Sedan, and loves it - he got the designo or whatever package and man are those seats beautiful.

I would recommend Sedan, but that's my preference.

max_boost
08-11-2017, 02:09 PM
I would be happy with any of those cars except the Focus simply because I don't like Ford lol

Sugarphreak
08-11-2017, 02:11 PM

89coupe
08-11-2017, 02:12 PM
I would be happy with any of those cars except the Focus simply because I don't like Ford lol

We have driven them all but the Ford. For some stupid reason they won't allow test drives, blows my mind.

89coupe
08-11-2017, 02:22 PM
I suppose it depends on what you plan on doing with it, and if you care about being on a budget

I picked the RS3

Although the best match for an S4 replacement is probably the BMW

The one comment he had after test driving the BMW was the thumpy gearbox when shifting.

To get groceries with, I'm being serious haha.

He had a 2001 S4 from new, lowest km car in North America 79k.

Disoblige
08-11-2017, 02:24 PM
We have driven them all but the Ford. For some stupid reason they won't allow test drives, blows my mind.
I've driven all of those except for the RS3 and BMW of that generation. Driven older 335's before, but not applicable really.
And I own an RS, but I totally wasn't trying to go the luxury route. I get that they didn't allow test drives before as they were in more demand, but I guess if they're just sitting on the lot unsold, I don't see why no test drive. I guess they're still "rare" in the dealer's eyes. The only thing about the RS that might bug you is the turning radius, average looking interior, and the suspension might be too stiff for some people. I think the suspension is just fine, but relative to the other choices it is stiffer.

I would choose the RS definitely over the Golf R. The Golf R is so boring in comparison and they're both pretty much the same price when you consider the Focus gives you free set of tires. It's just that much more fun to drive if that's what you're going for.

In the more luxury segment, I really liked the C43 overall, but dunno about the Audi other than it likely is going to be more rare on the road though as I've seen more than a few C43 sedans and coupes already. If I were to buy a Benz now, it would be the C43 sedan.

Lastly, I guess there isn't a big preference on auto or manual? Some of those choices are auto only, manual only, and I believe only the Golf and BMW is available in auto/manual?

mzdspd
08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
You have to be more specific.. What is he looking for? Raw sports car? or sport luxury car?

flipstah
08-11-2017, 02:26 PM
The new C-class are really nice on the inside and beats Audi easily. Before Audi was the master of interior design, but Mercedes is slowly taking the lead on it.

Ford interior is terrible, so that's out. Golf R is a close second for the practicality, so depends on what your buddy is looking for.

Xtrema
08-11-2017, 02:31 PM
As someone who switched from 2010 S4 to 2016 C450 (before it turn into C43). I have no regrets.

Other than the 340 (I don't think they are 335 any more unless you are buying a used one) and C43, everything else are front bias AWD.

And of 5 choices, they are quite all over the place.

Golf R is best bang for the bucks.

RS3 is probably a fanboy car. I don't think it's worth what it's asking for. Same with Focus RS.

340/C43 is a bit more luxurious that the rest of the list.

89coupe
08-11-2017, 02:50 PM
You have to be more specific.. What is he looking for? Raw sports car? or sport luxury car?

Something to get groceries in that has good low end torque and handles well. Luxury isn't necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

The new C-class are really nice on the inside and beats Audi easily. Before Audi was the master of interior design, but Mercedes is slowly taking the lead on it.

Ford interior is terrible, so that's out. Golf R is a close second for the practicality, so depends on what your buddy is looking for.

Interesting, of all the cars I've been in, I would say the Audi had the nicest interior. The C43 had a very plastic feel to me with the shiny black centre console and panels.

mzdspd
08-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Something to get groceries in that has good low end torque and handles well. Luxury isn't necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, of all the cars I've been in, I would say the Audi had the nicest interior. The C43 had a very plastic feel to me with the shiny black centre console and panels.

I would rule out the RS then. Golf R is probably the best and most practical car for his needs if he does not track it. Other cars are going to cost him way more.

89coupe
08-11-2017, 02:55 PM
I would rule out the RS then. Golf R is probably the best and most practical car for his needs if he does not track it. Other cars are going to cost him way more.

He seems to be leaning toward the R

Cost is not a concern, the guy is stupid rich haha.

austic
08-11-2017, 02:59 PM
I have owned the 335 sport pack, test drove the RS3 and just recently bought the C43. The c43 will come out most expensive but is amazing to drive, most my friends with Audis now want one instead. Interior in the C43 is much nicer, acceleration and sound in sport + is a lot of fun but the wife can drive it in comfort. AMG sport seats are a must and the deigno paint is delicious.

max_boost
08-11-2017, 03:16 PM

i like how rich people still appreciate value and not just throwing money around.

the golf R is great bang for the buck.

colinxx235
08-11-2017, 03:17 PM

If he's stupid rich I'm surprised he wouldn't go for the luxury sport route.
I've owned an 11 S4 and now a 16 R, I miss the Audi almost all the time. But mine was a decision based upon finances not desire.
I would swap into a 435xi Mpkg or C43amg coupe in a heart beat. Or if money wasn't a super big option might as well get an M3/M4 and win win haha

The bmw/benz will have wayyyy more trunk room than the R. I cannot fit my golf clubs sideways in the trunk, and as is the hockey bag barely gets in under the hatch hideaway partition (usually its popped up a bit and can see it slanted in the rear mirror with the bag back there). Same with those safeway re-usable black bags for groceries, you can only fit 3 of them in the trunk without stacking and i'd prefer to avoid mashing up food if I can.

89coupe
08-11-2017, 03:23 PM
If he's stupid rich I'm surprised he wouldn't go for the luxury sport route.
I've owned an 11 S4 and now a 16 R, I miss the Audi almost all the time. But mine was a decision based upon finances not desire.
I would swap into a 435xi Mpkg or C43amg coupe in a heart beat. Or if money wasn't a super big option might as well get an M3/M4 and win win haha

The bmw/benz will have wayyyy more trunk room than the R. I cannot fit my golf clubs sideways in the trunk, and as is the hockey bag barely gets in under the hatch hideaway partition (usually its popped up a bit and can see it slanted in the rear mirror with the bag back there). Same with those safeway re-usable black bags for groceries, you can only fit 3 of them in the trunk without stacking and i'd prefer to avoid mashing up food if I can.

Sorry, I should mention it has to be AWD

colinxx235
08-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Sorry, I should mention it has to be AWD

Well I guess no M3/M4 but my vote would still heavily be the 335/435x or c43 sedan or coupe 4matic. But I much prefer the extra luxury, 100km/h+ power band, and the extra space. Not to mention those cars are much smoother driving around on the shitty roads of yyc these days. The R can feel pretty rough sometimes.

npham
08-11-2017, 03:56 PM
I think this is a two horse race, either the Audi or MB. The Audi will be the quickest but the interior is only so so in the RS3. The MB is the winner IMO. The performance isn't quite RS3 like, but the interior is a huge upgrade(both space/interior wise).

Team_Mclaren
08-11-2017, 04:06 PM

whats he doing buying peasant vehicles? I hear the Ferrari GTC4 has pretty decent trunk space. i'd pick that

bjstare
08-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Or maybe meet in between. E63 4Matic.

Also, everyone's definition of stupid rich is different. haha

colinxx235
08-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Or maybe meet in between. E63 4Matic.

Also, everyone's definition of stupid rich is different. haha

A lottomax win would be straight to the dealer for an E63.

And exactly... some of us are big ballin at pinebrook driving a lexus and sniping new drivers/tory burch bags while the others are slumming it at a semi private driving VW's :rofl:

killramos
08-11-2017, 04:24 PM
You're all ballers in my books :love:

My vote is RS3, on the sheer uniqueness of that car compared to the others. RS3 would turn my head, the others... not so much. Nice cars by any standard, but no wow.

89coupe
08-11-2017, 04:45 PM
whats he doing buying peasant vehicles? I hear the Ferrari GTC4 has pretty decent trunk space. i'd pick that

He didn't get rich being foolish haha.

max_boost
08-11-2017, 04:54 PM
He didn't get rich being foolish haha.

lol i'm sure the gains he makes on his millions and millions can easily be redeemed for a ferrari if he's stupid rich :D

not foolish if he's stupid rich - it would be considered normal haha

89coupe
08-11-2017, 05:20 PM
lol i'm sure the gains he makes on his millions and millions can easily be redeemed for a ferrari if he's stupid rich :D

not foolish if he's stupid rich - it would be considered normal haha

He's German, and very practical.

heavyD
08-11-2017, 06:59 PM
The RS3 5-cylinder owns all here. If money isn't an issue it's the most special car of the group.

Tej.S
08-11-2017, 08:53 PM
I love the c43 (coupe), but I'm obviously biased. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't mind the RS3 either.

lilmira
08-12-2017, 04:41 AM
No love for the s5 sportback?

Xtrema
08-14-2017, 11:29 AM
No love for the s5 sportback?

Saw a couple of these already, I have to say if I have to make a decision today. S5 Sportback will get my $.

C43 piano black looks bad. I would take the centre console with either carbon fiber or ash wood.

I think but C43 and S4/S5 interior are great. C43 got the faux leather on top of dash and door looks better than S4/S5's soft plastic. But S4/S5 looks more futuristically simple in the design with all the sharp straight lines.

flipstah
08-14-2017, 11:42 AM
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachments/c-class-w205/372889d1501270514-there-any-way-i-can-buy-black-ash-wood-trim-dsc01557_edited-1.jpg

<3

nickyh
08-15-2017, 09:12 AM
well i'm biased, RS3, simply because I own one now.

Buster
08-15-2017, 09:51 AM
well i'm biased, RS3, simply because I own one now.

nice!

how do you like it?

Sentry
08-15-2017, 09:54 AM
The 335 is the most S4-ish, in that it's a sedan. But it's also probably the slowest car on the list. Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. Just get him to drive em all and pick what he likes best.

EDIT: But if it were me, out of those, RS3. :D

nickyh
08-15-2017, 10:21 AM
nice!

how do you like it?

Love it. Have nearly 1000km on it now (less than 3 weeks old) and I have to find a reason to stay home on the weekends and not drive it. I find the exhaust note perfect in the cabin (upgraded to sport exhaust), steering crisp & very responsive, grateful i did not get the fixed suspension, would have to really push the car to feel understeer (Have the staggered set up). It's more power than I will ever use.
I'm coming from a GTI so that's my point of reference.

Only complaint is the people that want to race me on the streets, I get the car is a target, but I'm not playing games because I have my 2yr old with me in the back seat.

Buster
08-15-2017, 10:26 AM
how do you find it for size? I've got three kids, and even though my wagon isn't our main family car, it needs to be able to move all three kids in a pinch.

Sugarphreak
08-15-2017, 10:33 AM

nickyh
08-15-2017, 12:18 PM
how do you find it for size? I've got three kids, and even though my wagon isn't our main family car, it needs to be able to move all three kids in a pinch.

Honestly, it's tighter than I remembered from driving the S3.
I have my daughter rear facing still and she's behind me, there is ZERO room behind my seat and hers. I couldn't slip a $5 bill in that gap. I guess it depends on if your kids still need car seats / boosters.
I imagine when I turn her around I'll have a lot more room but i've found my comfortable seating position now. It took a few days of playing with the steering wheel to optimize how I sit. The only "niggly" issue is the controls for the windows I have to slide my arm back more of a bend to use them. If I could push my seat further back then I'd be lined up.

For reference, i'm 5,6

nickyh
08-15-2017, 12:21 PM
It stands out that much that people notice when you pull up? Interesting, in photos it isn't that different from the S3... and an S3 is not much different than an A3

I am really thinking about getting one of these for next year, but I keep hearing they are impossible to order

Tell that to the M3 who chased me down on the transcanada the other day. He came up fast wanting to play, he wanted to see what I was and then one he realized he tried to bait me.
I was very lucky to get my hands on one so early. the NW dealer went above and beyond to get me one, they had 4 allocations coming in, they traded one of theirs for a car sitting at port so it was an easy transfer.

Buster
08-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Honestly, it's tighter than I remembered from driving the S3.
I have my daughter rear facing still and she's behind me, there is ZERO room behind my seat and hers. I couldn't slip a $5 bill in that gap. I guess it depends on if your kids still need car seats / boosters.
I imagine when I turn her around I'll have a lot more room but i've found my comfortable seating position now. It took a few days of playing with the steering wheel to optimize how I sit. The only "niggly" issue is the controls for the windows I have to slide my arm back more of a bend to use them. If I could push my seat further back then I'd be lined up.

For reference, i'm 5,6

All my kids are front facing now. Maybe I'll go check one out.

Disoblige
08-15-2017, 12:33 PM
I think I would only notice the RS3 on the rear mostly, simply due to the large dual exhausts vs quad on the S3, and more aggressive diffuser.
It's a nice subtle difference.

nickyh
08-15-2017, 12:41 PM
If anyone wants the name of my sales guy, just message me. I'd love to pass more business his way.

Tej.S
08-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Tell that to the M3 who chased me down on the transcanada the other day. He came up fast wanting to play, he wanted to see what I was and then one he realized he tried to bait me.
I was very lucky to get my hands on one so early. the NW dealer went above and beyond to get me one, they had 4 allocations coming in, they traded one of theirs for a car sitting at port so it was an easy transfer.

Typical bimmer drivers :rolleyes: I happened to see an RS3 the other day, the rear dynamic LED lights look very nice. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the styling, it looks very polished. Congrats on your purchase!

Sentry
08-20-2017, 12:16 AM
Typical bimmer drivers :rolleyes: I happened to see an RS3 the other day, the rear dynamic LED lights look very nice. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the styling, it looks very polished. Congrats on your purchase!
Not our fault Audi and Merc peasants never wanna race. :D