PDA

View Full Version : Residential tenancy dispute resolution

visualk
08-15-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm wondering if any beyond members have been involved with a RDTRS hearing. My tenant is requesting her full damage deposit and rent abatement and submitted an application to RDTRS for it. What's it like, I've gone through the documentation on service Alberta website but curious to know how it is in person as well as anyone's experience. Any advice or tips?

KPHMPH
08-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Are you in the wrong in anyway, shape or form?

Can you prove that your right?

Do you have proper documentation?

Realistically it comes down to he said she said and if you have a shit load of documentation then talking it over will be in your favor.

I had a binder with 400 pages of documents when my tenants took me to RDTRS and we didn't even make it to court because we came to a resolution before hand.

gwill
08-16-2017, 10:57 PM
What's the issue? Why are the tenants demanding money back. If your a slum lord youll learn quickly that the landlord board isnt your friend.

I know a friends provided me great advice on my rentals regarding damage deposits and difficult tenants just so id avoid the landlord board. Landlords can screw with tenants just as easily as tenants can screw with us if thats the game they want to play. Just need to know the limits.

msommers
08-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Gwill, why you so angry already man :dunno:

OP, as said have documents and hopefully photos. I'm a bit paranoid and do a full photo shoot before any move-ins.

roopi
08-17-2017, 08:39 AM
I know a friends provided me great advice on my rentals regarding damage deposits and difficult tenants just so id avoid the landlord board. Landlords can screw with tenants just as easily as tenants can screw with us if thats the game they want to play. Just need to know the limits.

Care to share this advice?

Rocket1k78
08-17-2017, 12:17 PM
The RTDRS favors heavily towards the tenants so make sure you are 110% in the right or just return the money. I did this rtdrs thing once over non payment of rent and you would think thats a clear cut case but i still ended up getting screwed over by the rtdrs and the tenants. The tenants said they lost their jobs and couldnt afford to pay so the board gave them time to pay or else they could face eviction. As were finishing the hearing the judge or whatever theyre called tells the tenant "oh by the way, Mr. Me cant just take the place back immediately, he will have to go through the court process and then hire a bailiff to take it back" So basically the judge just let the tenant know hes got a couple months of living rent free. Luckily for me they moved out at the end of the month.

msommers
08-17-2017, 12:23 PM
^^What the flying fuck?!?! That's brutal!

gwill
08-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Gwill, why you so angry already man :dunno:

OP, as said have documents and hopefully photos. I'm a bit paranoid and do a full photo shoot before any move-ins.

Not angry but i guess my post was a bit blunt. I joke that my friends a slum lord as hes dealt with the board way too many times.

Care to share this advice?

Can't really give any advice on the ops situation as its short on any specifics but if a tenants going to the board the ops in a crappy situation.

Lots of the advice i got on dealing with crappy tenants and damage deposits always related to what the landlord board would consider okay for a landlord to do. Certain charges i thought would be okay but i was told wouldnt fly... others i was told to charge more. Only had one major issue with a tenant and they signed a waiver on the move out just to cover my bases.

Its always been suggested to me to avoid the landlord board as they always favor the tenant.

benyl
08-17-2017, 12:52 PM
I had to go once. The tenant never showed, but provided a statement. I just paid what the tenant wanted. The tenant was a fiery Ginger and I wanted no part of the wrath. There was a reason the tenant lived alone.

But once you go through the process, it's done. they can't come back at you later for more.

HiTempguy1
08-18-2017, 09:21 AM
So basically the judge just let the tenant know hes got a couple months of living rent free. Luckily for me they moved out at the end of the month.

We've found it very effective to just move their stuff. What is a piece of shit going to do with all their belongings out on the street?

Rocket1k78
08-21-2017, 02:49 PM
We've found it very effective to just move their stuff. What is a piece of shit going to do with all their belongings out on the street?

Take pictures, leave it there to be stolen, sue the fuck out of me and then go fuck over another landlord but with brand new belongings lol You wouldn't stand a chance in court if you did that. Once you sign a lease you pretty much hand over all rights to your house so you have no rights to enter even if they dont pay rent.

gwill
08-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Haha no doubt. Move the tenants stuff and you risk being sued. You actually need to store a tenants belongings for a certain period of time before you can get rid of it.

Just look at the landlords article in the news where the old lady may lose everything due to bad tenants. Those tenants knew how to game the system and how to get months of free rent. Curious how badly hitemp would be sued if he "just" moved their stuff.

msommers
08-22-2017, 06:50 PM
It hasn't happened like he described. That's just shit from TV shows.

Rocket1k78
08-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Haha no doubt. Move the tenants stuff and you risk being sued. You actually need to store a tenants belongings for a certain period of time before you can get rid of it.

Just look at the landlords article in the news where the old lady may lose everything due to bad tenants. Those tenants knew how to game the system and how to get months of free rent. Curious how badly hitemp would be sued if he "just" moved their stuff.

I had no idea about having to store their shit too but that doesnt surprise me one bit. Thats the bull shit part about the system, theres no protection for landlords. The courts just assume that if you can afford rental properties you can afford to cover lost rent and damages.