PDA

View Full Version : Colonscopy anyone?

jabjab
08-19-2017, 08:32 PM
I have my colonscopy booked for next month and I'm pretty nervous about it. I recall going in for a preexam before and even though it was only a few minutes it felt VERY uncomfortable. It says the procedure lasts 15 to 60mins and I can't imagine feeling that kind of discomfort for that long. It does say they adminster a relaxer of some sort.

Has anyone on here done this procedure ? What did it feel like? how did you prepare for it?

thanks!

Doozer
08-21-2017, 08:19 AM
I haven't, but my wife had to go because of family history. From her and other family members, it doesn't sound like the exam is too bad, the real trouble is the prep.

You have to do a cleanse, which includes not eating after a certain point, and drinking 4L of laxatives in the 24hrs ahead of the exam. Fun times.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2017, 08:32 AM
I haven't had it done but I know lots who have. The procedure itself isn't that uncomfortable from what everyone has told me. The prep sucks, you drink enough laxative to completely clean yourself out, and you might fart a lot after the procedure. Two main things to keep in mind:

1) The staff could not possibly care less about all the things that probably contribute to your embarrassment or nervousness. So try not to worry if you do something embarrassing. (Source: GF is a nurse)

2) No matter how uncomfortable it is, it's better than the alternative which is not getting checked out at all. You're already ahead of lots of people who are so afraid of the doctor they would rather never know.

Abeo
08-21-2017, 08:59 AM
I have had it yearly for the past ~20 years. I don't get nervous about it anymore, and lately see it as a nice forced vacation from work. Here are my tips:

The prep is the worst part:
Make sure you follow the procedure, and eat soft food leading up to the prep period (the instructions will have a list of foods you can eat)
side note - don't drink fresca, it has grapefruit in it and messed with the sedatives for me once
Drinking the laxative is not fun. I couldn't handle the 4L jug (colyte), so I use the packets (Pico-Salax). Either way, having it ice cold and having a chaser helps. Drink LOTS of fluids.
Have flushable wipes. Yeah, they aren't "flushable", but this is the time to make the exception.

As for the procedure:
They get you in a robe, and you have your own locker with your stuff. You sit in the bed and get wheeled around, even if you are fine walking.
They use a mixture of 2 drugs: fentnyl (yes, that fentnyl) which makes everything feel awesome. The other is Versed, which is a sedative. It makes people relaxed and compliant, and some people are amnesiac with it (not me). I generally fall asleep after it's given.
The drugs are given in the scope room after you meet the doctors. The doctors and nurses, in my experience, are generally awesome people.
There was once where I don't remember going in, the procedure, or coming out and getting dressed. This is typical for a lot of people. Most of the time I remember everything.

All in all, once you get past the prep, it's easy after that.

XylathaneGTR
08-21-2017, 09:02 AM
I've had a few colonoscopies over the years (ulcerative colitis) and every single one has been sedated. I'm told it's standard practice for the colonoscopy, since they're going a bit deeper and it is a bit less comfortable.
So yeah, it's really not that bad (other than the prep) and you don't really have much to worry about.

Phenix
08-21-2017, 09:08 AM
the prep is a real shit show. not fun. stay calm and the sedation will do its job.

Also i find food tastes awesome after

GOnSHO
08-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Ive had one, I fell asleep before they did it, didnt feel a thing.

Doozer is correct, the build up and cleanse is the worst part, make sure you have plenty of TP/babywipes on hand!

quick_scar
08-21-2017, 10:00 AM
As others have said, wet wipes. So much this. Don't wait to start using them, as soon as you start use them. I went for my first a couple months ago and waited till things started getting sore (from using regular TP) back there, and by then it was to late. Wet wipes from the start next time. Other then that I did not find it horrible. The prep sucks a bit, but really I was expecting much worse from what I read online. Its not the end of the world. The procedure itself was fine and I was actually having something removed not just checked.

Matty_10
08-21-2017, 10:06 AM
I woke up during mine, was kinda freaky. It was right in the middle of the big turn around the intestine where they have to ram it around the corner. I asked them if I could watch and they said sure because your not going to remember it anyways. Woke up after the procedure and asked the nurse if I had woken up and they said yes but you'll forget it right away. I HAVE STILL NOT FORGOTTEN.

But yes definitely do the pico-salax, it was actually pretty good tasting (orange flavour I believe).

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Careful if you spoil yourself with the wet wipes, they are way better and you might want to use them all the time :rofl:

jabjab
08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Alright, I feel a bit better now that I've read some of the responses. I hope work will give me a couple of sick days off for the prep as it doesn't sound like I'll be doing much work a few days before my exam.

Doozer
08-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Alright, I feel a bit better now that I've read some of the responses. I hope work will give me a couple of sick days off for the prep as it doesn't sound like I'll be doing much work a few days before my exam.

Not only that, they'll probably tell you to arrange a ride there and back due to the effects of the medication. Not only did my wife have to take time off work, but I had to arrange my schedule to go drop her off & pick her up.

Crazyjoker77
08-21-2017, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't sweat it I've had 3 in the last 2 years and would rather have another one than go and get a cavity filled/tooth pulled.

For my first one I did the colyte which is what they always seem to recomend. I had a absolute nightmare of a time trying to drink it. Last two times I did the pico-salax and can't believe this isn't the standard purgative to use. Even if your sheet says to use the colyte go to the pharmacist and get the pico-salax... Drink lots of yellow poweraid as you will get dehydrated from any of the purgatives they give you.

As for the procedure I personally didn't remember anything untill I woke up in the recovery room. Was slightly confused for the first minute but after that I got dressed and was perfectly fine. I felt I could of even drove myself home but they have to release you to an adult or they will not let you leave. You will have to get a IV put in before they take you to the procedure room and you are fully aware at this point but needles don't bother me so it was no big deal.

legendboy
08-23-2017, 09:39 PM
They tried to give me one when i was 15, they didn't give me any drugs whatsoever. Said they made it 5 feet before i freaked out and made them stop.
While the scope is in they have to continuously pump you full of air and that caused unbearably painful cramping in my case. 5' took about 15 seconds.

shakalaka
08-23-2017, 09:42 PM
I hate the idea of this whenever the time comes for me. Definitely not something I am looking forward to.

AndyL
08-23-2017, 11:13 PM
7 weeks ago follow up after c-diff I picked up in South health.

Fentanyl is good ;) don't remember a damn thing beyond answering questions in the procedure room and about 20min after it was done. but yes colyte sucks take prep day off.

Gestalt
08-24-2017, 08:21 AM
You old bastards.

Do they still do these things though? I know our dog was scheduled for one with one vette and another said they dont need them anymore for screeing, they just get a poop sample which tells them more. He likened it to an oil analysis versus just poking a dipstick in and peeking. She said it was better. Not so on humans?

The_Penguin
08-24-2017, 05:58 PM
My mom was supposed to get one (she's over 90) and after she read the prep instructions, she said NFW.
Even if they find something, it's not like they're gonna do much for her, she's over 90.
Personally, I haven't had one, the procedure doesn't sound that bad, but the prep? Holy shit. Literally.
If I ever fail a fit test, I might consider one. Maybe.
Edit:
Meant to say, it's 2017 surely there's a better way to look for those issues.

jabjab
09-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Well tomorrow is the day. I decieded to take the paco Salex or whatever solution over the Coylete. They say the best way to find any cancer type pulyps is to do a colonscopy. They did previously take a sample of my stool before they booked but they said you can't be too safe.

The reason I'm getting it done is because i had constant blood in my stool for about 3 days with stomach pain. The blood was a lot on 2 of those days but could have been a popped hemroid, who knows. We shall see. I'm about to take the first pack of the prep stuff....fuckkkkkk

Maxt
09-27-2017, 06:46 PM
I just went through this, I had to use the Bipeglyte prep kit, its berry flavoured, well actually I would say its berry+varsol flavoured. Definitely drink it with a straw to help it go down. Gatorade is your friend(just not red coloured). The fun part is reenacting the toilet scene from Dumb and Dumber.
I also found I have a tolerance built up to opioids and I have had midozolam as a sleep aid before, so the sedation actually did no sedating. I was fully aware and feeling through the whole( or should that be hole) procedure.... I watched the entire deal on the screen while they did it, and can vouch for the cleaning that Bi-peglyte will do.
a little light reading for you, https://earofnewt.com/2015/11/28/me-and-my-colonoscopy-the-story-of-a-man-and-his-ass/

relyt92
09-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Well tomorrow is the day. I decieded to take the paco Salex or whatever solution over the Coylete. They say the best way to find any cancer type pulyps is to do a colonscopy. They did previously take a sample of my stool before they booked but they said you can't be too safe.

The reason I'm getting it done is because i had constant blood in my stool for about 3 days with stomach pain. The blood was a lot on 2 of those days but could have been a popped hemroid, who knows. We shall see. I'm about to take the first pack of the prep stuff....fuckkkkkk
Don't trust any farts after you've taken it.