PDA

View Full Version : Oil tanker collides with US Destroyer (USS John McCain)

ZenOps
08-20-2017, 06:44 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/20/rescue-efforts-launched-us-warship-collides-merchant-vessel/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_John_S._McCain_(DDG-56)

McCains got a big ass that can't move out of the way in time.

AjmbgZ2wZvk

Sentry
08-20-2017, 10:01 PM
USN needs to stop playing chicken with bigger ships.

revelations
08-20-2017, 11:12 PM
How the fuck can they be this bad at this.

spikerS
08-21-2017, 12:16 AM
How the fuck can they be this bad at this.

I got this crazy conspiracy theory in my head. What if this isn't an accident at all?

China is pretty pissy right now about sailing rights in the south china sea. The surrounding countries want to keep the waters open under "freedom of navigation" while China wants to seize control and presumably use it for taxation and defense purposes. The last thing China wants is 1/3rd of the US Navy on it's doorstep, and is the one of the bigger reasons that China backs North Korea because without North Korea, a unified Korea would allow US military to basically sit on their border.

so, going back to what if this isn't an accident? China or other countries can't move against the US, otherwise it is going to be a big gong show that is more than likely going to cause a huge conflict or war. So, how do you get rid of the US Navy without using military options? Pay off a captain or whatever of a large civilian ship, and have an "accident" that effectively takes the US Navy asset out of the picture. You don't have to destroy it, because a disabled ship is just as worthless as a sunk ship as repairs from something like this can take months or years. China is happy because the ship isn't a threat any more and the US has one less asset at it's disposal should shit go south with North Korea... I mean, until recently, how many US Military ships have been having these kind of "accidents"?

/conspiracytheory

revelations
08-21-2017, 07:19 AM
I got this crazy conspiracy theory in my head. What if this isn't an accident at all?

China is pretty pissy right now about sailing rights in the south china sea. The surrounding countries want to keep the waters open under "freedom of navigation" while China wants to seize control and presumably use it for taxation and defense purposes. The last thing China wants is 1/3rd of the US Navy on it's doorstep, and is the one of the bigger reasons that China backs North Korea because without North Korea, a unified Korea would allow US military to basically sit on their border.

so, going back to what if this isn't an accident? China or other countries can't move against the US, otherwise it is going to be a big gong show that is more than likely going to cause a huge conflict or war. So, how do you get rid of the US Navy without using military options? Pay off a captain or whatever of a large civilian ship, and have an "accident" that effectively takes the US Navy asset out of the picture. You don't have to destroy it, because a disabled ship is just as worthless as a sunk ship as repairs from something like this can take months or years. China is happy because the ship isn't a threat any more and the US has one less asset at it's disposal should shit go south with North Korea... I mean, until recently, how many US Military ships have been having these kind of "accidents"?

/conspiracytheory

Definitely a lot more going on. But I still have my doubts about all this - a giant ship vs. small warship. The warship should be 10x as manoeuvrable and have excellent situational awareness.

ZenOps
08-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Size has always been king on the ocean. There are thousands of ships for every military destroyer out there.

The armor that US military ships use are designed to provide one hit explosives from breaching the hull, but its crush force - like you would get in a collision is little better than normal steel. Its a weakness inherent to all navies, if you have the bigger ship and can get close enough the bigger ship always wins.

Armor plating on ships is like a bulletproof vest on a person that is good at stopping bullets, but if you get broadsided by a running horse - it will still be lethal.

Arguably, a twenty ton torpedo with no explosives (like a harpoon) that skips along the water could take down a Destroyer fairly easily. Rail gun would probably do it in one shot. Cost of said rail gun torpedo with no explosives = hella cheap, but could not be mounted on a ship because the recoil would destroy the ship firing it. However, a land based rail gun could shoot down destroyers and aircraft carriers all day long.

Alternately, to take out a destroyer in the least expensive way, you could just use a cheap frigate, weld a train grate to the front of it, ram it and then throw in a satchel of thermite.

kCIHrmdOb1w

Not to suggest that its important to know how to sink a USS aircraft carrier with only a few million dollars worth of resources.

Its worthy of note that when Canada burned the white house down, it was because of the weak US navy unable to repel the onslaught.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2017, 08:36 AM
I am just picturing this in my mind where the two ships are coming together for like half an hour, and still neither of them alters course, they hit, and everyone is surprised lol. How can both ships be *that* bad at avoiding another giant ship?

HiTempguy1
08-21-2017, 09:11 AM
I am just picturing this in my mind where the two ships are coming together for like half an hour, and still neither of them alters course, they hit, and everyone is surprised lol. How can both ships be *that* bad at avoiding another giant ship?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-20-2014/iyQMmx.gif

revelations
08-21-2017, 09:37 AM
This is Zenflops-level strange /////

What if the US vessel(s) were using an electro/optical cloak of some kind and which had limited external sensing capacity in this state - and were not able to detect the vessel in time (and thus, the approaching vessel did not see them either) :eek:

revelations
08-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Its worthy of note that when Canada burned the white house down, it was because of the weak US navy unable to repel the onslaught.

Now THIS is worthy of a request for more information. Please provide your sources ZenF.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2017, 09:45 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-20-2014/iyQMmx.gif

Haha - this exactly. I can't see it going down any other way.

Xtrema
08-21-2017, 10:03 AM
https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Ancient-Aliens.jpg

revelations
08-21-2017, 10:35 AM
http://cooleasymagictricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/invisibility-cloak-.jpg

dirtsniffer
08-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Canada did not burn down the whitehouse

revelations
08-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Canada did not burn down the whitehouse

It was torched, but not burnt to the ground.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/The_President%27s_House_by_George_Munger%2C_1814-1815_-_Crop.jpg/1920px-The_President%27s_House_by_George_Munger%2C_1814-1815_-_Crop.jpg

botox
08-21-2017, 11:07 AM
I think it went like this
Destroyer: They'll move over, cause we're a mother f'ing Destroyer!!
Fat ass tanker: We are not moving cause we're 4 times their size and that's the rule of ocean traffic
-- This goes on for 30 minutes then they collide --
Destroyer: Fuck we should of moved over
Fat ass tanker: Those idiots should of moved over, when will they learn........

Maybe next time the USN will just blow the tanker out of the water before they crash haha.

killramos
08-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Seems like a preemptive strike would be pretty effective against the US Navy...

dirtsniffer
08-21-2017, 01:02 PM
It was torched, but not burnt to the ground.

I was more referring to the fact that it was done by Britain.

Sugarphreak
08-21-2017, 02:19 PM

botox
08-21-2017, 03:14 PM
I bet it was even more comical in real life.... they were probably yelling at one another over the communications channel

Destroyer: Tanker Ship, please adjust your course, you are on a collision course with a US Navy ship
Fat ass tanker: US Navy Ship, please adjust your course, you are on a collision course with a Tanker Ship, and you do not have the right away in accordance with international regulations
Destroyer: We are the US Navy, we always have the right away, adjust your course tanker ship
Fat ass tanker: You do not have the right of way, we are not changing our course, if we hit you, it is your fault
Destroyer: WE ARE THE US NAVY DAMMIT, WE ARE NOT CHANGING OUR COURSE

2 hours later

Fat ass tanker: DESTROYER, CHANGE YOUR COURSE IMMEDIATELY OR WE WILL COLLIDE
Destroyer: FUCK YOU, YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE ASSHOLE, WE ARE THE NA....
*SMAAASSHHHHH*****

Fat ass tanker: You fucking idiots

Someone needs to make this into a serious/comedy movie and have Bruce Willis as the Destroyer captain and Tom Hank as the tanker captain. Or maybe even Samuel L. J throwing f-bombs everywhere.

Jokes aside, many people died in both these unecessary accidents so this problem needs to be addressed. RIP