PDA

View Full Version : My car was written off. 14 day rule.

Pages : [1] 2

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Ok, so some of you may remember a thread some time ago about the 14 day rule. I cannot seem to find it, and figured I would share my experience in my own recent scenario, as well as just generally document my accident for the heck of it. After I posted elsewhere briefly about the 14 day rule, members have contacted me asking me to post details on the 14 day rule, so although I realize there is another thread hidden somewhere, might as well bring it to light again here.

The backstory:

So, I purchased a new-to-me Jaguar XF Supercharged August 3rd. I honestly didn't exactly have my eye on this model in the past, but this one came up in my Kijiji searches. I always liked the XF design (especially from a rear or side profile; the headlights were a little odd imo), and this one was metallic black which really made it pop. Add in low k and I decided to go view it. A couple of WOT and cornering tests, and I was already in love. This one was claimed to have over 500hp due to the work done on it, but I suspect it had closer to about 450; still a lot of power to keep a smile on my face. Certainly everything I was looking for in a sporty luxury commuter.

The crash:

Unfortunately, less than two weeks later I was rear-ended while stopping for a yellow light coming into Chestermere on 17th:

Clearly, the Honda fared worse and I was able to drive home - exhaust occasionally kissing the ground here and there. I parked it for a day, then drove to the repair shop the following day - where I was informed I probably shouldn't be driving it. And sure enough that appears to have been the case since I was informed a couple of days later that the car had been written off with 17g damage. (What you don't see in the picture is the damaged under the bumper and the crumpled left rear quarter - or the fact the rear door barely opened.

At this point I don't yet have a full report on exactly what damage occurred, but it isn't super relevant considering they've already decided to write it off. I suspect frame damage.

As soon as I got out of the vehicle after being hit the guy who hit me tried blaming me for the accident. (Though I was firm on the brakes, it was a pretty standard stop and not exactly a quick stop. I actually believe he was distracted - though he simply said he slipped on the wet road surface. This seems somewhat unlikely, considering you can see from the picture he was clearly nose-down on impact) In not so many words I advised him that claiming I was at fault wasn't going to fly and that I had a dashcam. To his credit, he was completely respectable and easy to work with after that point... even texting me later that night to make sure I was ok.

As far as injuries go - the car did it's job for the most part. They claim to have an anti-whiplash system in place, and given how hard I was hit it really seemed to do the job. I had some neck stiffness for the first 2-3 days along with a headache that subsided over that timeframe, followed by upper back tension and pain for the last week. Doctor says I should heal up just fine. Luckily I was alone in the car, and was actually 2 minutes away from picking up my kid from daycare.

The 14 day rule:

So, due to an earlier thread on Beyond in which our resident insurance Guru - Masked Bandit - had commented, as well as a little light research of my own, I opted not to change the registration and insurance over right away.

The cop attending the scene seemed not to know the rule so much himself. I gave him whatever paperwork I had, which consisted of the insurance slip from the Infiniti, the cut-in-half registration of the Jag from the prior owner, and the bill of sale. He seemed pretty confused, and asked me for the insurance card for the Jaguar - which of course I did not have. He said I still needed insurance, and he just suggested it was the same policy number - to which I agreed just to keep the situation smooth and without issue. I am not sure if he felt he was giving me a break, or was somewhat aware of the rule but decided to let it all slide due to his self-aware lack of knowledge. But luckily he didn't persist at all or it would have been another speedbump I'd have to overcome.

Anyway, I soon after reported the accident with my insurance company. I had pm'd Masked Bandit to ensure I remembered the 14 day rule correctly - to which he replied that he didn't feel I would have a problem. What the 14 day rule basically states (and honestly, I don't know who mandated this. Government? Insurance authority?) that you have 14 days to change over BOTH your insurance AND registration to your new-to-you vehicle. There are conditions to this rule, though. One technical condition is that you have sold your previous vehicle. Presumably, this is why the rule exists - to ensure you can lawfully drive your replacement vehicle without worrying about insurance and registration before you can even bring it home. Many people are aware of the 14 day for registration, but almost zero people I've talked to have known that it applies for insurance as well. They don't exactly advertise this, since it provides extra complication in the event of an accident.

So when I called my insurance company, they asked me which vehicle on my policy was hit. I told them that in fact I had recently purchased the vehicle, and I was running with the plate from my Infiniti. The insurance rep was clearly confused right from the beginning - insisting that I wasn't actually covered, with myself insisting that I was. After putting me on hold for 5 minutes to talk to his supervisor, he came back saying that they would indeed cover me.

What followed was a comedy of confusion - with them telling me all sorts of different things... such as:
1) I would not be covered under collision because my Jeep doesn't have it. Yet, that's not the plate I was using.
2) I would have to work with their insurance company because of the situation.
3) I would be responsible for the deductible, even though it was not at fault.
4) They would have to perform a full investigation to determine fault. (Don't they always?)
5) After sending me the pink slip for the Jag, telling me to register the vehicle then retracting that, then the next day asking me to register it again.
6) Saying that this claim was "Without Prejudice" as opposed to a standard claim - even though the other party was already deemed at fault by the police and charged accordingly.

At this point I have submitted everything they have asked for, including the bill of sale; hopefully they don't try to offer me the 18g I paid, since I cannot find a car like this again for any less than about 24g....

I will update this thread once we get past the compensation stage and I can provide some sort of conclusion on how this all worked out. But in the meantime, I would suggest using this 14 day rule at your own risk. While it does indeed exist, I think that one would be advised on getting ALL the facts and conditions for which this rule can be used. Additionally, I would advise everyone to be aware that it appears not all insurance companies and/or reps are either aware of the rule, or how to proceed with a claim under the rule. I think the only time I would consider using this rule again is if there was simply no way to get everything sorted prior to getting possession of the vehicle. And even then, I certainly don't think I would drive a vehicle around for a week believing everything was going to be rosy if I got hit. Remember: I am being made to jump through hoops WITHOUT the cops deeming it my fault. How would this all have gone if I WAS at fault? *Shudder*

Bill: I think everyone would appreciate anything else you had to add to the thread. :)

KPHMPH
08-21-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm a little confused why you didn't insure it before you picked it up...regardless of the rule or not. Takes the stress out of the situation.

never
08-21-2017, 12:16 PM
I'm a little confused why you didn't insure it before you picked it up...regardless of the rule or not. Takes the stress out of the situation.

No kidding. Why push it? And it's super easy to get coverage swapped/setup on a new car...have a new insurance slip via email the same day.

What was your motivation for waiting?

And sorry to hear about the accident...hopefully you get everything squared away with minimal issues.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 12:17 PM
...because there's a 14 day rule? I didn't expect to be hit, and I didn't expect my insurance company wasn't aware of the rule.

But to answer your question more fully - I still had my Infiniti, and I was planning on putting the plate back on it after the 14 days until it sold. This was just so I could get a feel for the Jaguar and ensure I could get any parts needed or issues squared away before I was to drive it full time.

never
08-21-2017, 12:20 PM
...because there's a 14 day rule? I didn't expect to be hit, and I didn't expect my insurance company wasn't aware of the rule.

But to answer your question more fully - I still had my Infiniti, and I was planning on putting the plate back on it after the 14 days until it sold. This was just so I could get a feel for the car and ensure I could get any parts needed or issues squared away before I was to drive it full time.

But you stated this condition of the rule?

One technical condition is that you have sold your previous vehicle.

rage2
08-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Lesson of the day: 10 mins on the phone with insurance for a new policy saves a whole ton of headaches.

lasimmon
08-21-2017, 12:23 PM
I have never heard of the 14 day rule for insurance. I don't see how an insurance company would allow that as you need different coverage for different vehicles.

I found this from a quick google:

If you transfer the plates from one vehicle to another without telling your insurance company to authorize the transfer, you can be charged for driving without insurance. If you get into an accident, the insurance company will deny the insurance coverage. You cannot use someone else’s license plates on your vehicle, even if the plates were on the vehicle before you purchased it.

http://clg.ab.ca/programs-services/dial-a-law/required-motor-vehicle-insurance-in-alberta/

I mean I couldn't even drive me new vehicle away from the dealer without proving it was insured.

Also straight from the alberta website:

Existing licence plates
You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate.

The 14-day period allowed for the transfer of licence plate/registration doesn’t apply to commercial vehicles and insurance documents.

Check with your insurance company or broker for insurance requirements and coverage information.

https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehicle-registration.aspx

I sure hope you don't get your claim denied or a ticket for driving without insurance.

infected
08-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Glad you walked away without injury, but that's pretty ballsy IMO to assume both insurance and registration would fall under the 14 day rule. I recently picked up a new vehicle as well, used the old plate, and didn't get a chance to register it for 2 days but made sure to update the insurance before picking up the new vehicle. Registration I can understand, but insurance for sure would be risky. What if I had a POS beater and decided to buy a Lambo and slap the plate on that? Surely the premiums would be quite different between the two and it would be unfair for my insurance provider to honor me any coverage without disclosure from my part. Hope everything works out well for you and thanks for sharing!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-21-2017, 12:25 PM
The only time I did something similar was when I purchased a truck on a Saturday (insurance is Monday to Friday for me) and I simply could not pass up on the truck as it was way underpriced. The only reason I did it was because it was less than 2km to my home from the sellers house, had it been further I would have asked them to drive it there for me then done all the paperwork and money handling when it arrived safely. I didn't drive the vehicle off my driveway again until I had a proper pink card on Monday.

I guess it's a good lesson to stick to making sure I have insurance on paper before I even think about picking up a vehicle, otherwise it could be come a huge headache whether it's simply getting pulled over and law enforcement not knowing, or having an accident.

never
08-21-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't see how an insurance company would allow that as you need different coverage for different vehicles.

Good point...made me think...what if you had a $5K car and replaced it with a $50K car and got in an accident within 14 days without transferring insurance. Would your coverage be limited to $5K?

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Glad you walked away without injury, but that's pretty ballsy IMO to assume both insurance and registration would fall under the 14 day rule. I recently picked up a new vehicle as well, used the old plate, and didn't get a chance to register it for 2 days but made sure to update the insurance before picking up the new vehicle. Registration I can understand, but insurance for sure would be risky. What if I had a POS beater and decided to buy a Lambo and slap the plate on that? Surely the premiums would be quite different between the two and it would be unfair for my insurance provider to honor me any coverage without disclosure from my part. Hope everything works out well for you and thanks for sharing!

Fair. I had also heard at some time that the vehicles should be similarly valued. (And they are)

Honestly guys - I know I took risks here in retrospect. I have a lot going on right now, but should have taken the time to do things by the book. But this thread really exists just to mention the accident, but more importantly to enlighten people as to the fact such a rule does indeed exist, and to try to flush out all the details of the rule so everyone here knows how they are or are not protected by it if they need to be.

lasimmon
08-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Fair. I had also heard at some time that the vehicles should be similarly valued. (And they are)

I mean unless the Government of Alberta website is wrong, what you have heard about the 14 day rule in relation to Insurance is totally wrong.

lilmira
08-21-2017, 12:34 PM
This is interesting. I always get my insurance sorted out before taking the car.

Kloubek
I mean unless the Government of Alberta website is wrong, what you have heard about the 14 day rule in relation to Insurance is totally wrong.

Where's Masked Bandit when you need him...?

danno
That's bad luck,but always change insurance before you start driving a new car so much easier.

You will not get any more than you paid for it I can promise that. If you paid 18k that's the most you will get.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 12:40 PM
That's bad luck,but always change insurance before you start driving a new car so much easier.

Absolutely my point. It is best not to rely on this in order to avoid potential complications. Hence, why I wanted to bring it to light for everyone.

For the record, the point that I am at right now: I have pink slips and have paid for insurance starting on the 3rd when I bought the car. So I AM absolutely covered.

You will not get any more than you paid for it I can promise that. If you paid 18k that's the most you will get.

If true, that does suck since I'm never gonna find that car for that price again. But if that's what it comes down to, then I'm not exactly in a position of bargaining power here....

jwslam
08-21-2017, 12:50 PM
If you paid 18k that's the most you will get.
This. Why is insurance expected to pay you for more than you paid?
That's like telling the travel insurance that you bought a trip to Hawaii on sale with $400 flights, can't go because ___, and now they owe you $800 because that's what it costs today. :dunno:

Edit: Also, doesn't the payout come from the other insurance company since you're not at fault?

Strider
08-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Here's the old thread discussing the 14-day rule
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/351082-Question-regarding-registration-to-get-a-vehicle-home

ganesh
08-21-2017, 12:51 PM
That's like telling the travel insurance that you bought a trip to Hawaii on sale with $400 flights, can't go because ___, and now they owe you $800 because that's what it costs today. :dunno:
+1
Also don't know how an insurance company can issue back dated pink slip.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 01:00 PM

Edit: Also, doesn't the payout come from the other insurance company since you're not at fault?

So for your first comment - isn't one supposed to be covered to the amount required to replace their vehicle? (Especially with collision). Put it this way - say I had a charitable uncle who gave me a car for $1. If it was fully insured, is the insurance company responsible for $1 or for the value of the car?

As for the second question: Yes, because they were at fault their insurance company would have to pay. But because I had collision (I believe), I deal with my insurance company.

Honestly guys - I think there is a lot of speculation (of my own as well) in this thread so far, so unless someone like Masked Bandit wants to come in here with sure-fire legit information, we might be better off not throwing around questions and speculation until we see how this all plays out then I can give everyone the full run-down from beginning to end. Thanks for providing the link to the old thread Strider. I hope that alleviates some questions in the meantime.

killramos
08-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Lesson of the day: 10 mins on the phone with insurance for a new policy saves a whole ton of headaches.

/thread

bjstare
08-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Something tells me OP is going to have an uphill battle. All because he didn't spend 10 min on the phone. Some lessons are learned the hard way I suppose (or some people like to learn things the hard way?).

And to those people talking about insurance paying more than he paid for the car - I believe this can happen. Purchase price shouldn't have as much bearing as the cost to find an equivalent replacement. As an example - if my parents give me a car (sell it to me for $1), does that mean it can only be insured $1?? Unlikely. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. edit: Kloubek beat me to it haha.

Also, instead of just hoping maskedbandit comes in and gives you free advice, why don't you deal with the company you're actually paying solely for this purpose? He's a great guy, but he keeps very busy taking care of his valuable customers.

shakalaka
08-21-2017, 01:09 PM
So for your first comment - isn't one supposed to be covered to the amount required to replace their vehicle? (Especially with collision). Put it this way - say I had a charitable uncle who gave me a car for $1. If it was fully ensured, is the insurance company responsible for $1 or for the value of the car?

And to those people talking about insurance paying more than he paid for the car - I believe this can happen. Purchase price shouldn't have as much bearing as the cost to find an equivalent replacement. As an example - if my parents give me a car (sell it to me for $1), does that mean it can only be insured $1??

Great minds.

roopi
08-21-2017, 01:11 PM
I'm confused. Do you or don't you still have the Infiniti?

Xtrema
08-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Something tells me OP is going to have an uphill battle. All because he didn't spend 10 min on the phone. Some lessons are learned the hard way I suppose (or some people like to learn things the hard way?).

That's pretty much it. Never give insurance company an out, no matter how inconsequential or small it seems. At least you are not at fault but it may take you some time and money to collect.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 01:15 PM

And to those people talking about insurance paying more than he paid for the car - I believe this can happen. Purchase price shouldn't have as much bearing as the cost to find an equivalent replacement. As an example - if my parents give me a car (sell it to me for $1), does that mean it can only be insured $1?? Unlikely. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. edit: Kloubek beat me to it haha.

Also, instead of just hoping maskedbandit comes in and gives you free advice, why don't you deal with the company you're actually paying solely for this purpose? He's a great guy, but he keeps very busy taking care of his valuable customers.

Again - do we really need to make this about me? I know I should have handled things differently - and already admitted that more than once. This thread was meant to help people.... not to put me under a microscope. If I am not mistaken, Masked Bandit has offered his knowledge to Beyond Members. It took him all of 5-10 seconds to give me a response. As a community, I would like to think we are all happy to lend 5-10 seconds of our time to help fellow members out.

I'm confused. Do you or don't you still have the Infiniti?

I do. I had a buyer but opted to cancel the sale so the insurance company wouldn't have to pay for a rental. (And I prefer driving it over a rental). :)

lasimmon
08-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Again - do we really need to make this about me? This thread was meant to help people.... not to put me under a microscope. If I am not mistaken, Masked Bandit has offered his knowledge to Beyond Members. It took him all of 5-10 seconds to give me a response. As a community, I would like to think we are all happy to lend 5-10 seconds of our time to help fellow members out.

If you are looking to provide information for people have you done any research to actually prove this to be a thing? Or are you just waiting for Masked Bandit?

I mean anywhere you look on the internet contradicts what you are saying.

Sorath
08-21-2017, 01:19 PM
was the honda at fault here?

if they did happen to deny your claim, I think it may be possible to go after the honda's insurance company and act as if you didn't have collision coverage on the car? food for thought.

Shitty situation. Def never heard of 14 day for insurance. Only for Registration.

Good luck

Disoblige
08-21-2017, 01:21 PM
I think this thread helps people for sure. I didn't know about it, but at least now I'm aware. Do this at your own risk was the moral of the story.

I usually wouldn't risk the insurance just because you could easily change your policy with one simple e-mail to your broker and that would be it. Pink slip issued over e-mail and you're covered. The only reason why I might not is if for some reason I find a gem at the start of the weekend or something and it simply couldn't wait.

Strider
08-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Here's a link to the Alberta Standard Automobile Policy (aka S.P.F. No. 1).
http://www.registriesdirect.ca/pdf/SPF1Wording.pdf

5 (b) under General Provisions, Definitions and Exclusions defines "Newly Acquired Vehicles" and seems to apply to OP's situation.

PDF is secured so I can't copy and paste, but the jist of it is that either the new car has to replace one of OPs cars or all of OPs cars have to be insured by the same company and he's covered. But that's just my interpretation - could be completely off.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 01:24 PM
If you are looking to provide information for people have you done any research to actually prove this to be a thing? Or are you just waiting for Masked Bandit?

...which is precisely why I started the thread - so that people with more knowledge than I could chime in with what they KNEW instead of what everyone else is speculating. I think there is a lot more useful information in the link to the other thread that was posted, where there were actual people in the know commenting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the idea of a forum - to discuss what you know with others? I've done research, yes, but other threads are much like what this one has turned into - a lot of people making uneducated comments just because they believe that is the way things must be, as opposed to actual knowledge. I'm trying to flush out knowledge here. For my own part, all I can do is share my experience with others. And so far, my experience has proven that the 14 day rule is in fact a thing - despite so many saying otherwise.

I think this thread helps people for sure. I didn't know about it, but at least now I'm aware. Do this at your own risk was the moral of the story.

I usually wouldn't risk the insurance just because you could easily change your policy with one simple e-mail to your broker and that would be it. Pink slip issued over e-mail and you're covered. The only reason why I might not is if for some reason I find a gem at the start of the weekend or something and it simply couldn't wait.

Absolutely it's at your own risk. Which is why I am advising people NOT go this route, but that you ARE covered.

Hopefully your insurance doesn't find out that you never sold the Infinity, because saying you're too busy to get insurance is ridiculous and just sounds like you were trying to game the system for whatever reason.

Is there some tangible benefit to this that I'm missing? You're not saving money or time by not getting insurance either right before or right after you buy a car.

They know. I told them, because I needed to maintain insurance on the Infiniti so I have a car to drive. I absolutely was not trying to "game" anyone. I could only drive either the Infiniti or the Jaguar, and the Infiniti was going to be sold the day after. There really was no benefit to me at all - I just figured the rule existed and that the chances of getting hit in 1 week was unlikely.

As far as your "curber" comment Redblack - absolutely not. This was going to be my permanent vehicle. (Hell - I made it my signature!) One could easily purchase and simply store a car indefinitely without registration or insurance. The 14 days is irrelavent in that case.

FraserB
08-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Hopefully your insurance doesn't find out that you never sold the Infinity, because saying you're too busy to get insurance is ridiculous and just sounds like you were trying to game the system for whatever reason.

Is there some tangible benefit to this that I'm missing? You're not saving money or time by not getting insurance either right before or right after you buy a car.

redblack
08-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Curber's tend to use the 14day rule to buy and flip cars for a fast buck.

HiTempguy1
08-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Again - do we really need to make this about me?

This is Beyond. And you are talking about one of the most arrogant dickheads on here. So yea, he'll do that, it's kind of his thing :rolleyes:

The gov of Alberta has very little to do with your insurance. Registration is a gov ran affair, insurance is provided by private companies. End of the day, you need to know what your insurance provider allows you to do.

Some do indeed allow the 14 days. The broker I use gets back to me at 9pm on a Saturday night with a new temp pink slip via email if I send him VIN, model, year, and color. I could understand using the 14 day allowance back when this wasn't readily possible, but nowadays, its too big of a risk.

Doesn't matter at all though, you were rear-ended, you aren't at fault.. This has zero to do with you and your insurance company from a liability perspective, unless you had comprehensive. It's completely in the at fault parties hands and their insurance companies.

never
08-21-2017, 01:32 PM
And to those people talking about insurance paying more than he paid for the car - I believe this can happen. Purchase price shouldn't have as much bearing as the cost to find an equivalent replacement.

I have been paid more for a car than I originally paid (less than a year prior). The car was very rare (not very valuable though)...and nothing was for sale in Canada at the time they valued the car, they had to use US examples. Ended up getting 60% more than what I paid.

Xtrema
08-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Doesn't matter at all though, you were rear-ended, you aren't at fault.. This has zero to do with you and your insurance company from a liability perspective, unless you had comprehensive. It's completely in the at fault parties hands and their insurance companies.

If you have comprehensive, you are covered and get paid out right the way and the insurance company will fight with the other company to settle it, however long it takes.

If you don't have comprehensive, some insurance don't care and make you DIY to deal with the at fault party's insurance company and you will have to waste a lot of time and $ to collect what's coming to you.

And add a potential lapse of coverage during the accident, it complicate things as that's an potential out for insurance companies.

redblack
08-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Couldn't the other parties insurance argue that the jag had no insurance so it shouldn't have been in the road?

rage2
08-21-2017, 01:47 PM
I have been paid more for a car than I originally paid (less than a year prior). The car was very rare (not very valuable though)...and nothing was for sale in Canada at the time they valued the car, they had to use US examples. Ended up getting 60% more than what I paid.
Same thing happened with my E55. I bought the car wholesale so got a good deal on it, when it got written off a year and a half later, the payout was a couple grand more than what I paid.

riander5
08-21-2017, 01:50 PM
A new rear bumper was quoted at 18k? What a pile!!

Buster
08-21-2017, 02:17 PM
When internet debates meet the stone hard concept of reality.

Xtrema
08-21-2017, 02:55 PM

I think it's bent frame as rear door won't open any more. That's why it's a write off, especially that car is RWD too or AWD with Rear bias.

Couldn't the other parties insurance argue that the jag had no insurance so it shouldn't have been in the road?

I don't think that will fly in Canada. But some states in US has no pay, no play law and you are sol.

ExtraSlow
08-21-2017, 03:22 PM
I had no idea this was a thing and I want to thank Kloubeck for his humility in posting this thread for our education. It's not surprising he's taking a bunch of heat, but I hope its all good natured because he started this thread to help others.

Hats off to you sir!

D'z Nutz
08-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Jeez, the way you brought it up in the other thread, I thought the 14 day rule was some sort of little known, secret loophole that gets you full value of your car, no questions asked, or something like that (like some kind of insurance equivalent of a lemon law). This is nothing like that.

Instead, it's an excuse to drag your ass on something you should have taken care of right away to avoid any potential hassle.

beyond_ban
08-21-2017, 03:52 PM
I just briefly skimmed the thread, so if i say something that has been stated forgive me.

First, i have experience with the 14-day insurance rule. It was over 10 years ago and i was picking up my first car. I borrowed my dads plate and drove the car home. A cop got behind me and noticed the plate did not match the car and pulled me over. Sure enough, legally he told me i was on the hook for no registration or insurance. He took it easy on me, and towed my car home rather than impounding and bending me over with thousands in tickets.. If you had not sold your Infiniti, legally you are not insured or registered and are SOL.

Second, i believe that insurance should pay out market value. If a good friend wants to sell me his car for half the value of what it is worth, why would insurance only be responsible to cover the paid price rather than the replacement cost? That makes no sense.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Ok wait. You can see the first car is decimated and yet you call the Jaguar a "pile"? Seems a little contradictory. But if you actually read the post, you will have noted there was a buckled rear quarter among other damages. Damage adds up quick when multiple areas are affected. Especially on a European or German vehicle.

Are you following this thread, or like riander5 are you just adding in your comments wherever you feel like it? Honest question.

They were at fault regardless. There IS a rule, and I was subject to that rule. They accepted responsibility to insure me. The cops accepted that they had a responsibility to insure me. I have pink slips. What part of this is still confusing?

Update: I talked to insurance today and it was confirmed by a second adjuster that they WILL be covering me, and doing so under my collision coverage. The only question remaining is whether I receive fair market value or if they are going to try to cite my purchase price as the payout.

Instead, it's an excuse to drag your ass on something you should have taken care of right away to avoid any potential hassle.

Already admitted I should have just dealt with it. Honestly, I believed it to be a simple grace period but now that I've been through it, I can see it's not quite like that and would never do it again.

I had no idea this was a thing and I want to thank Kloubek for his humility in posting this thread for our education. It's not surprising he's taking a bunch of heat, but I hope its all good natured because he started this thread to help others.

Thank you. I expected to receive some heat that's kind of a given here, but felt it was worthwhile information to get out to you car guys. To be fair, for the most part, such comments aren't incorrect - but not really necessary given I have a pretty firm grasp that my course of action wasn't ideal in retrospect. If this thread helps even one of you guys, it was worth it.

Crazyjoker77
08-21-2017, 04:33 PM
I just briefly skimmed the thread, so if i say something that has been stated forgive me.

First, i have experience with the 14-day insurance rule. It was over 10 years ago and i was picking up my first car. I borrowed my dads plate and drove the car home. A cop got behind me and noticed the plate did not match the car and pulled me over. Sure enough, legally he told me i was on the hook for no registration or insurance. He took it easy on me, and towed my car home rather than impounding and bending me over with thousands in tickets.. If you had not sold your Infiniti, legally you are not insured or registered and are SOL.

Second, i believe that insurance should pay out market value. If a good friend wants to sell me his car for half the value of what it is worth, why would insurance only be responsible to cover the paid price rather than the replacement cost? That makes no sense.

A bill of sale must be provided with the reg/insurance to the officer otherwise you will get a ticket. That being said its simple enough to make up a temp one for the period and rip it up after not exactly ethical but is pretty common place.

Insurance doesn't care what you payed for the vehicle they will use "fair market value" Always ask for a copy of the valuation from the field appraiser its not something they usually provide but have to if requested. It will show the 3cars(minimum) they are comparing yours and the adjustments made for things like miliage/condition/options. In my case Shady/shitty intact offered me 14700 for my car that was rear ended while parked on the street. I told them that can't be right and requested a copy of the valuation and sure enough the valuation showed 18,444. After much arguing and getting fucked around I ended up with 21k...

firebane
08-21-2017, 04:36 PM
See this 14 day thing wasn't foreign to me because it is allowed in British Columbia and when I came here people looked at me like I was nuts.

Source:
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/sell-vehicle/Pages/Transfer-vehicle-ownership.aspx

You can drive your "new" vehicle using the licence plates from your old one for 10 days from the date of purchase if all of these conditions are met:

The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C. (or was purchased from a licensed B.C. auto dealer).
You have sold or otherwise disposed of your old vehicle.
Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).
The licence plates are valid B.C. plates.

During those 10 days, you must carry in your new vehicle

the signed Transfer/Tax Form for your new vehicle,
the original registration from the seller (or, for a new vehicle, the signed and dated bill of sale from a dealer),
the insurance papers for your old vehicle (the insurance must still be valid), and
proof, such as the "seller's" copy of the Transfer/Tax Form, that you sold your old vehicle.

Now where the difference I think plays is that in Alberta you have two places to deal with insurance.. Your broker and the registry and I think since every broker is private they handle things differently.

Kloubek
08-21-2017, 04:42 PM
A bill of sale must be provided with the reg/insurance to the officer otherwise you will get a ticket. That being said its simple enough to make up a temp one for the period and rip it up after not exactly ethical but is pretty common place.

Insurance doesn't care what you payed for the vehicle they will use "fair market value" Always ask for a copy of the valuation from the field appraiser its not something they usually provide but have to if requested. It will show the 3cars(minimum) they are comparing yours and the adjustments made for things like miliage/condition/options. In my case Shady/shitty intact offered me 14700 for my car that was rear ended while parked on the street. I told them that can't be right and requested a copy of the valuation and sure enough the valuation showed 18,444. After much arguing and getting fucked around I ended up with 21k...

For the first paragraph: I did have that. I really did try to stay inside my understanding of the law.

For the second paragraph: You did really well. Congrats!

I'm not at all looking for more than the car is worth. I simply want to buy a car just like it, and hope they will give me enough to do so. Hopefully they find enough comparables to come up with true fair value, since the 2009 Supercharged is rare. Buuuut if they want to give me 2010 Supercharged value (equally as rare) or XFR value, who am I to complain....

beyond_ban
08-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Nailed it.

bjstare
08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
This is Beyond. And you are talking about one of the most arrogant dickheads on here. So yea, he'll do that, it's kind of his thing :rolleyes:

I wonder if you can set up a notification for whenever I post? That way anytime I write anything you can call me names, and you'll never miss a post that makes you hate me more than the last. :love:

zhao
08-21-2017, 06:26 PM

You're just as bad as him. These threads pop up 2-3 years and they are always filled with 90% of people saying what you're saying: omg that not true that only applies to registration, why not just get insurance???, u broke the law!, balh blah blah.

Eventually someone posts a link to the standard insurance policy and its right in there, so thx to striker for ending this debate quick.

This law exists for a reason, so you can buy a replacement car and not have to deal with insurance being closed on saturday/sunday, or an evening, which is when pretty much all my car sales have gone down.

Why you can't do this with a new car is because new cars usually require an insurance binder and full coverage as part of your financing before the car is released to you. If you were paying cash for the car you could drive away this way too.

As for people saying insurance shouldn't be paying over what you paid, or that insurance doesn't pay over what you paid. lies. it happened to me on my RX8 (engine fire). i paid 7800 for hte car and 1-2 years later insurance paid me out 11500 with thier first offer. It wasn't my problem I got a hell of a deal on the car, that was what it likely was worth at the time. Also, I've seen insurance pay out full retail on a 6 month old lincoln a lady got something like 10g off on. She tried to say that was wrong, and insurance told her no, we can't guarantee you will get that same discount. Also, she did not have replacement insurance, so they could have valued the car as a used vehicle, but they weren't dicks and realized good fucking luck getting a 6 month old used vehicle (That was TD insurance). Infact, more times than not, the insurance payout is quite good IMO. I see a lot of write offs and know what they're worth, and IMO the people who complain about getting fucked by insurance 9/10 times are the ones that have some ass backwards out to lunch view on what they could actually sell thier car for. I deal with people like that every so often and its usually on some absolute piece of shit they think is collectible, like a rusted out turd 70s bmw 2002, or a 78 mustang II. sorry, its not worth 20g when you can access the trunk through the 1/4 panel and pedal it through the holes in teh floor.. its worth $500, and isnurance offering you $5000 is very generous.

Like I've said before, more often than not people get more from insurance than tehy could from private sales: I saw insurance value a miled out 250000km 2010 ford expedition at 30g. I wouldn't buy that turd for 10g. Insurance also wrote that thing off when they didn't have to. I asked them to because it had 250000km and I didn't want to deal with a customer blaming a billion random pre-existing problems on the accident, and the insurance guy agreed that thing needed to Die and go to hell, so by a miracle he made it happen even though it was easily within the fixable dollar amount.

Masked Bandit
08-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Hellllloooo Beyond!

As previously mentioned in the thread the Alberta SPF #1, 5B deals exactly with this situation and translated to plain English, here are a few (but possibly not all) of the conditions:

1) If the Newly Acquired Auto (NAA) IS A DIRECT SUBSTITUTION (trade in at a dealership on a weekend for example) then the insurance transfers straight over. Whatever coverage was on the original vehicle now extends to the new vehicle for a period of 14 days.

2) Assuming the client has all of their auto insurance with the same company, a NAA can also be insured for 14 days but if there was no direct substitution (you just went out and bought another car on a weekend) then only the lowest amount of coverage on the policy extends to the NAA. For example if I own two vehicles, one with full coverage and one with PLPD only and then on a random day I go out and buy a third vehicle, regardless of what plate I put on the new vehicle, it's only the PLPD that extends to cover the new vehicle. Even if I had the plate from my full coverage vehicle on the NAA, it's only the PLPD that extends. However this all falls apart if I have different vehicles insured with different companies.

3) A combination of examples one and two would be if I own two vehicles but have them insured with different companies for some reason. Then the only time I could use the 14 day rule is if I was doing a direct substitution with one of the existing vehicles for the NAA. If I just went out and bought a third vehicle then the 14 day rule would not apply because who is to say which policy it was going to end up on?

4) The 14 day rule does not apply in any manner with respect to someone involved in the business of buying and selling vehicles (curbers). The problem with this exclusion is proving it.

JRSC00LUDE
08-22-2017, 09:09 AM
I wonder if you can set up a notification for whenever I post? That way anytime I write anything you can call me names, and you'll never miss a post that makes you hate me more than the last. :love:

Blocking hi temp ups the intelligence of threads at least 10 points, try it!

Kloubek
08-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Hellllloooo Beyond!

As previously mentioned in the thread the Alberta SPF #1, 5B deals exactly with this situation and translated to plain English, here are a few (but possibly not all) of the conditions:

2) Assuming the client has all of their auto insurance with the same company, a NAA can also be insured for 14 days but if there was no direct substitution (you just went out and bought another car on a weekend) then only the lowest amount of coverage on the policy extends to the NAA. For example if I own two vehicles, one with full coverage and one with PLPD only and then on a random day I go out and buy a third vehicle, regardless of what plate I put on the new vehicle, it's only the PLPD that extends to cover the new vehicle. Even if I had the plate from my full coverage vehicle on the NAA, it's only the PLPD that extends. However this all falls apart if I have different vehicles insured with different companies.

Thanks MB. This is excellent additional information to this thread.

In regards to my situation, 1, 3 and 4 do not apply, but 2 certainly does. I consider myself lucky that in the end they agreed to work with me under my collision then, since clearly they didn't have to. I actually think the insurance company itself did want to, but the broker had already negotiated the claim based on collision coverage.

I wasn't going to try pulling this off again anyway, but that's just another reason not to try. :)

Kloubek
08-23-2017, 11:48 AM
So, they basically just offered me what I paid. They claim this was based on comparables. They said if I disagree with it, I must find 5 comparables in the same province to justify my opinion of a higher value. This is interesting, because there are only 2 for sale right now in the province so I wonder how they came up with their own 5. (Unless they are held to a lower standard than I am).

I am waiting for a copy of their assessment to be emailed to me. I'm almost inclined to think they are basing it on a non-supercharged model, which is an entirely different animal.....

shakalaka
08-23-2017, 11:53 AM
So, they basically just offered me what I paid. They claim this was based on comparables. They said if I disagree with it, I must find 5 comparables in the same province to justify my opinion of a higher value. This is interesting, because there are only 2 for sale right now in the province so I wonder how they came up with their own 5. (Unless they are held to a lower standard than I am).

I am waiting for a copy of their assessment to be emailed to me. I'm almost inclined to think they are basing it on a non-supercharged model, which is an entirely different animal.....

Wasn't there someone here who posted up some fake adds with inflated prices to show the insurance company that the value should be more than what they were offering?

Tik-Tok
08-23-2017, 12:00 PM
(Unless they are held to a lower standard than I am).

Of course they are. They're also bullshitting you. It's their job to save the company money, not to help you. Give them the two in province, then give them 3 out of province ones, and include shipping/OOP inspection costs.

max_boost
08-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Not bad but grind them for more. I think everything has worked out pretty good in this situation.

ExtraSlow
08-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Being offered what you paid means you are in a great situation. It's worth grinding them a bit, but you can do it from a less stressful place.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Wasn't there someone here who posted up some fake adds with inflated prices to show the insurance company that the value should be more than what they were offering?

hahaha that's great. But the person who was actually doing it was trying to buy a car. They made fake ads with a lower price to try to grind down private sellers on 350z's and s2000's.

revelations
08-23-2017, 12:12 PM

Its not really a bumper as you might think. If the car is made of Al for eg. and the crush members of the frame were deformed - it turns really expensive to restore.

never
08-23-2017, 12:23 PM

That just may be the incentive I need to list my Jag for sale!

Kloubek
08-23-2017, 03:48 PM
hahaha that's great. But the person who was actually doing it was trying to buy a car. They made fake ads with a lower price to try to grind down private sellers on 350z's and s2000's.

YES - I remember that. Some chick right? She was posting all these ads at lower prices to try to use as a negotiating tool to get people to come down on their prices. I believe the word "greasy" was thrown around more than once. Yeah, I could do this too but I'm really trying to keep everything on the up and up. That'd be treading into the grey area of fraud, would it not?

So, as I mentioned, I paid 18g for this car originally. They offered me 18g - but they claimed it was on these comparables rather than what I paid. The problem is, I bought it at 18g because it was a ridiculously low price. The guy originally had it posted for 23, and I just would not have paid that. I just spent two hours researching, and there are only 3 2009 Supercharged XF comparables in Western Canada, and the cheapest is 24g - and that one has way more mileage than mine did. Autotrader states the average price for a 2009 Supercharged is 25.5k. (Seems a bit high to me). In fact, if you look at ALL low mileage 2009-2011 NON-supercharged XF's, only about half of those are priced at what they offered me, and the other half are HIGHER. And that's for a significantly lesser model. No thanks.

Bottom line: I just won't find this car again for 18k and need at least 22-23 to replace it, and that is with waiting for who knows how long for someone to be selling under value again. But truthfully - if I do manage to get fair value, I think now I'd sooner just pay the extra 3-5 grand and get the XFR. 510 horsepower. *Drool*

So I basically asked for:
a) 25k, with tons of proof that I would need around that to replace by showing ALL XF's currently available, and proving to them they are basically out to lunch.
b) Them to find me a true comparable anywhere close to the 18k they are offering me, and offered for them to even oversee the transaction and pay out exactly what it costs me to buy it and not a penny more.

It seems like a stretch that they'd go from 18k to 25k, but I really just want an exact replacement so how could I possibly get that if they won't give me enough to do so? It's quite frustrating - but as others have said, I'm still in a pretty decent place all things considered with the insurance debacle.

never
08-23-2017, 04:02 PM
It seems like a stretch that they'd go from 18k to 25k, but I really just want an exact replacement so how could I possibly get that if they won't give me enough to do so?

You never know...they could or you'll meet somewhere in the middle. Sounds like you have decent evidence to get a fair replacement price but just like the one you bought, list price doesn't mean sale price and I'm sure they may be factoring that in to some degree.

jwslam
08-23-2017, 04:10 PM
But because you never told them about the XFR, your premiums are based off of what the Infiniti is worth... so technically that's all they owe you, no?

example: if I'm paying collision on a 10 year old Honda, go out and get a brand new AMG and crashed it on this 14 day rule, then what?

snowcat
08-23-2017, 04:20 PM
As I understand it you can swap a plate over for up to 14 days, as long as you have insurance on the vehicle which you can get in ten seconds by calling and they e-mail you a temp card. I have never heard of magical 14 day insurance.

I have heard of a rider that in only available in the states that lets you ride anyone else motorcycle, but it's expensive to add onto your policy.

Kloubek
08-23-2017, 04:21 PM
You never know...they could or you'll meet somewhere in the middle. Sounds like you have decent evidence to get a fair replacement price but just like the one you bought, list price doesn't mean sale price and I'm sure they may be factoring that in to some degree.

Oh, they do. They take 5% off expecting you to negotiate. I do believe I have decent evidence that I should get more, but obviously they *want* to pay out as little as possible... so I imagine you're right - they will likely meet me somewhere in the middle. So like I said, if they gave me 22 I would probably just take it and be happy I made 4 grand overall.

I have never heard of magical 14 day insurance.

...and this is one of the reasons I started the thread. Many have not heard. Now you have. There's nothing magical about it - it just happens to be the law.

But because you never told them about the XFR, your premiums are based off of what the Infiniti is worth... so technically that's all they owe you, no?

Well, that comes back to the same people who were asking if they insured a civic, then used this rule to cover them in a lambo which gets written off. And I honestly don't know the answer to that, except to say that they are covering me based on the value of the Jaguar. (And when I say "cover", I mean basing everything on the Jaguar alone and not factoring in the Infiniti.) With that said, if the rule was that you were only covered up to the level of the originally insured vehicle, that would make sense and I would be an advocate for that being the rule. After I get paid out. :)

jwslam
08-23-2017, 05:24 PM
I would be an advocate for that being the rule. After I get paid out. :)
You're an advocate for stuff that should apply to everyone but you. Is your name Fildebrandt?

16hypen3sp
08-23-2017, 08:24 PM
It's pretty crazy how many Beyonders don't know about this 14 day rule.

I actually used this rule one day back in 2010. I found a beater car out by Penhold. Bought it on a Saturday evening. Took a plate from my other car (only PLPD) and put it on the new car. Had my reg/insurance with me. Cruised around in the beater car with a couple friends like the idiots we were at the time. Got pulled over less than 2 hours of owning the beater. Told the cop right when he got to the window that this car is a 'new' car and the plate won't match. Told him I just bought it. Gave him my reg/insurace for my other car that matched the plate. Told him I have a 14 day grace period to get insurance and registration on this new car. Gave him the completed bill of sale.

He went back to his cruiser, came back like 20 mins later... said 'you're free to go.'

Damn those were the days! I miss my friends...

For the record, we got pulled over because my friend was leaning out the passenger side yelling at women (exactly like a scrub) and a RCMP officer witnessed it as he was walking back to his cruiser from McDonalds.

Kloubek
08-23-2017, 08:37 PM
You're an advocate for stuff that should apply to everyone but you. Is your name Fildebrandt?

Really?

You wanna let that one percolate around a bit more before I respond to that?

SKR
08-23-2017, 10:24 PM
I think now I'd sooner just pay the extra 3-5 grand and get the XFR. 510 horsepower. *Drool*

My opinion counts for nothing, but this is exactly what you should do.

riander5
08-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Ok wait. You can see the first car is decimated and yet you call the Jaguar a "pile"? Seems a little contradictory. But if you actually read the post, you will have noted there was a buckled rear quarter among other damages. Damage adds up quick when multiple areas are affected. Especially on a European or German vehicle.

Ok, ok. But you have to change your signature now

Kloubek
08-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Well, I got all my personal effects out of the car yesterday, and sat in it for the last time as we said our goodbyes.

Ok, ok. But you have to change your signature now

You know what's fucked up about that? I changed it the morning of my accident. I think I jinxxed my own car. I should have just left it with the pic of my Infiniti since that's actually what I'm driving again.

I'll wait till this all plays out and with any luck I'll replace it with a XF-R in the coming couple of weeks.

infected
08-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Good read, but getting confused somewhere along the way. The Jag technically is not considered a NAA as you still have the Infiniti. Should the 14 day rule not apply then and your insurance provider is just honoring your claim out of good will?

GT.....O?
08-24-2017, 12:54 PM
It seems like a stretch that they'd go from 18k to 25k.

Its definitely possible, i bought a truck for 24k from someone i knew from highschool, got written off a month later. Insurance originally came back with low 18k. Took me over 2 months of constant calls and negotiating, but finally walked away even.

It will take some time and it will be a battle, just depends on how bad you want it. You basically have to wait them out as i think they try to clear off all stagnant cases at the end of every month and get it off their books. If you're not strapped for cash or a replacement car, wait them out until you are happy.

Strider
08-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Good read, but getting confused somewhere along the way. The Jag technically is not considered a NAA as you still have the Infiniti.

Did you even read the definition linked or the interpretation of the conditions that Masked Bandit wrote?

bjstare
08-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Good luck finding an XFR, I strongly considered those before I got my car. Really like them.

infected
08-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Did you even read the definition linked or the interpretation of the conditions that Masked Bandit wrote?

Yes, but wanted to clarify why the Jag is not a NAA because:
a) Kloubek has more than one vehicle;
b) They are on the same policy; and
c) All vehicles have full coverage?

Kloubek
08-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Good luck finding an XFR, I strongly considered those before I got my car. Really like them.

They are around. There is a white one in Winnipeg with 54k (?) for 26,500. There is one local with slightly more k for 29 - but I don't like the grey colour. Then another with low k, but he wants 31.5 but I'm not really ballin' so that's getting too pricey for me. Being that winter isn't that far away, I could and probably should just wait for the right deal to come up like I did when I purchased my supercharged one. There is also a sweet facelifted 2012 in Ontario for 30k, but it has 100k and is way out there.

That is incorrect, and written in the thread. My Jeep does not have collision. So technically, they could have put this incident under that coverage but I lucked out.

Strider
08-25-2017, 08:36 AM
Yes, but wanted to clarify why the Jag is not a NAA because:
a) Kloubek has more than one vehicle;
b) They are on the same policy; and

2) Assuming the client has all of their auto insurance with the same company, a NAA can also be insured for 14 days but if there was no direct substitution (you just went out and bought another car on a weekend) then only the lowest amount of coverage on the policy extends to the NAA.

In regards to my situation, 1, 3 and 4 do not apply, but 2 certainly does.

The Jag is an NAA because he has all his auto insurance with one provider, so an additional vehicle counts - it doesn't have to be a direct substitution.

infected
08-25-2017, 09:10 AM
That is incorrect, and written in the thread. My Jeep does not have collision. So technically, they could have put this incident under that coverage but I lucked out.

Sorry missed the part about the Jeep. That's really fortunate they are considering it as full coverage then. Hope it works out better than 18k!

Tik-Tok
08-25-2017, 09:48 AM
I suppose the question is, if they don't agree with your value, will they just pull the offer altogether since they aren't legally obliged?

Kloubek
08-25-2017, 12:20 PM
I suppose the question is, if they don't agree with your value, will they just pull the offer altogether since they aren't legally obliged?

Ok wait. They ARE legally obligated, which has been quote thoroughly gone over here. In addition to that, they have already agreed to proceed, as well as sent me retroactive insurance slips. It's already a done deal that I'm covered.

What they are NOT legally obligated to do is handle it as if I had collision coverage. (Although they agreed verbally) But at the end of the day, besides having to deal with his insurance company instead of mine, it is of little consequence since I was not at fault.

Tik-Tok
08-25-2017, 12:34 PM
What they are NOT legally obligated to do is handle it as if I had collision coverage.

That's my point. Right now they ARE handling it as if you have collision. THEY are the ones offering you $18g, correct? If they weren't handling it as if you had collision, you would be dealing directly with the other insurance company.

So at any point, your insurance company may say "nah, this is on you, we don't have to do this for you", at which point you now have to take over negotiations with the other insurance company.

Kloubek
08-25-2017, 01:14 PM
That's my point. Right now they ARE handling it as if you have collision. THEY are the ones offering you $18g, correct? If they weren't handling it as if you had collision, you would be dealing directly with the other insurance company.

So at any point, your insurance company may say "nah, this is on you, we don't have to do this for you", at which point you now have to take over negotiations with the other insurance company.

I suppose it is possible. That's a sure-fire way to lose a customer though. "Ok, so we decided to cover you under the collision policy from your Infiniti. Oh... wait... what? You want market value for your car? Well in that case, you can deal with the other insurance company". I guess it could happen and I suppose they have a right to do it, but I am not too concerned; having 4 vehicles in my household and a near perfect driving record, I'd say I'm a pretty lucrative client.

Masked Bandit
08-25-2017, 02:18 PM
The Jag is an NAA because he has all his auto insurance with one provider, so an additional vehicle counts - it doesn't have to be a direct substitution.

Correct, partially. Yes it's still a NAA but because it's not a direct substitution for one of his full coverage vehicles rather just an addition to the fleet, his insurance company didn't have to extend the full coverage because not all of his vehicles carried that. It's a technicality and I'm pretty sure someone at the insurance company realized that in the end the other guy's insurance is going to pay the bill anyway so why piss the customer off?

Kloubek
08-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Correct, partially. Yes it's still a NAA but because it's not a direct substitution for one of his full coverage vehicles rather just an addition to the fleet, his insurance company didn't have to extend the full coverage because not all of his vehicles carried that. It's a technicality and I'm pretty sure someone at the insurance company realized that in the end the other guy's insurance is going to pay the bill anyway so why piss the customer off?

I believe it was actually the broker's doing initially. Once I submitted the initial claim with Aviva, I only dealt with the broker (Innova) for the next few days and he worked with both Aviva and I to make sure all the documentation that was required in this unique situation. The broker handled it as piggybacking onto the Infiniti insurance. The last time I spoke to him he did indeed say that Aviva considered changing it to be under the Jeep's coverage - which of course would have meant no extra benefits of having collision. I imagine you're right though - Aviva probably just decided since it was no-fault they might as well just let it happen. The broker made it out to be his doing that it continued as a collision-covered claim, but I would be surprised if he actually had any clout in that decision.

oilerfan4lyfe
08-26-2017, 10:51 AM
What they are NOT legally obligated to do is handle it as if I had collision coverage. (Although they agreed verbally) But at the end of the day, besides having to deal with his insurance company instead of mine, it is of little consequence since I was not at fault.

This is what's really confusing me about this thread. You're not at fault, so isn't the other person's insurance on the hook for either repairing your car or paying you out? I thought it didn't matter if you have collision or not if it's someone else's fault. Am I wrong? People in this thread are making it seem like you should be SOL because you don't have collision on one of your vehicles. Even if your insurance said they won't extend collision to your new car, you would still get the pay out from the other person's insurance company, right?

shakalaka
08-26-2017, 11:27 AM
This is what's really confusing me about this thread. You're not at fault, so isn't the other person's insurance on the hook for either repairing your car or paying you out? I thought it didn't matter if you have collision or not if it's someone else's fault. Am I wrong? People in this thread are making it seem like you should be SOL because you don't have collision on one of your vehicles. Even if your insurance said they won't extend collision to your new car, you would still get the pay out from the other person's insurance company, right?

How it typically works is if you have collision then your own insurance company facilitates the repairs and ensures that your vehicle is good to go/replaced ASAP. Then they go over to the insurance company for the person who's at fault themselves to recover whatever they paid to you. If you don't have collision with your own insurance company, then you're SOL as far as getting any help from your own insurance company is concerned. Then you are on your own to negotiate with the other person's insurance company and reach a settlement.

C4S
08-26-2017, 06:46 PM
Lucky you...

I got a $2,500 ticket because I swapped my plate from my car A to car B ...period! (Car A had insurance hat I was selling, but not sold yet that that moment...)

ShermanEF9
08-27-2017, 06:03 PM
I can understand the 14 day rule for registration as it has no impact really on anything.

insurance i don't see due to the fact it is privately controlled. ultimately it would be up to your insurance company, as different vehicles would fall under different categories for coverage... etc. also like was brought up before, if i went from a $5k civic to a $50k jag, my coverage would now be insufficient and not really the problem of my insurance company as they were unaware.

zhao
08-27-2017, 07:32 PM
insurance i don't see due to the fact it is privately controlled. ultimately it would be up to your insurance company, as different vehicles would fall under different categories for coverage... etc. also like was brought up before, if i went from a $5k civic to a $50k jag, my coverage would now be insufficient and not really the problem of my insurance company as they were unaware.

This is wrong. A 5g civic might actually cost more to insure, because hte cost of the car is only a small factor.

What matters more is statistics. Do they pay out more $$$$ by your average $5000 civic or by your average $100000 porsche 911? The answer is the civic costs insurance more. $5000 civics are generally driven by idiots thinking 127hp is fast who just got their license, and 911s are generally babied and parked in a garage 350 days a year.

bjstare
08-27-2017, 09:16 PM
:werd: I had a lengthy discussion with MaskedBandit about this when I got my last car and I was surprised it was the same (or less) than my previous to insure, but worth significantly more and a lot faster.

ExtraSlow
08-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Honda fit is expensive to insure either because it's a Savage supercar or because it's often driven by teenage aisan girls. Potato potato

ShermanEF9
08-27-2017, 11:06 PM
This is wrong. A 5g civic might actually cost more to insure, because hte cost of the car is only a small factor.

What matters more is statistics. Do they pay out more $$$$ by your average $5000 civic or by your average $100000 porsche 911? The answer is the civic costs insurance more. $5000 civics are generally driven by idiots thinking 127hp is fast who just got their license, and 911s are generally babied and parked in a garage 350 days a year.

Sorry let me put this another way. If I am insurance company X, and I am expecting to cover the loss of a $5000 civic, and suddenly now I am told I am covering the loss of a $70k Jaguar that I was unaware of, I am going to be a little upset about it, am I not?

Masked Bandit
08-28-2017, 10:11 AM
Sorry let me put this another way. If I am insurance company X, and I am expecting to cover the loss of a $5000 civic, and suddenly now I am told I am covering the loss of a $70k Jaguar that I was unaware of, I am going to be a little upset about it, am I not?
You might be upset but assuming the right conditions are met you're still obligated to provide the coverage. Insurance companies can't take anything away from the SPF#1, only add to it.

Kloubek
08-28-2017, 10:18 AM

In the case of an at-fault situation, I imagine it would have been far more dire for me. Perhaps for the reason you just mentioned, but certainly due to the fact that if they DID follow through without collision and I was responsible for an accident, I might not have received any coverage at all. That would have sucked royally. Never again.

In the case of a not at fault, I don't think there is much that can be done. My insurance company isn't responsible for payment, and THEIR insurance company probably only wants to see that I had coverage.

ShermanEF9
08-28-2017, 09:47 PM
that makes sense.

dj_rice
08-29-2017, 05:48 AM
Shitty deal Kloubek. Bad luck. But glad your okay.

I pick up my new car tomorrow, since the bank placed a lien on it till I pay it off in full, I have to have full coverage insurance on it the day I pick it up, and I believe I'm not allowed to take full coverage off of it even if I want to park it during the winter.

But good read, I'll make sure to have my insurance/reg in order before I pick up.

Good luck with your insurance, hopefully its a solution thats satisfactory

relyt92
08-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Shitty deal Kloubek. Bad luck. But glad your okay.

I pick up my new car tomorrow, since the bank placed a lien on it till I pay it off in full, I have to have full coverage insurance on it the day I pick it up, and I believe I'm not allowed to take full coverage off of it even if I want to park it during the winter.

But good read, I'll make sure to have my insurance/reg in order before I pick up.

Good luck with your insurance, hopefully its a solution thats satisfactory
Correct, you'll require full coverage on it the whole time the bank owns some of it.