PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Vehicle Possession

ianmcc
08-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Have googled this situation but would like to see if anyone has personally dealt with this and how they dealt with it.
Situation is my brother in law co-signed for an apartment condo for a former employee. That employee subsequently rented out the condo.
The renter failed to pay any of the bills and abandoned the apartment leaving behind a Ford pick up in the garage. The condo has sat been empty for 12 months.
The brother in law is now on the hook for all the delinquent bills and wants to push the truck out onto the street and let CPA deal with it.
I say he can take possession of the truck and sell it to re-coup storage costs since he is now the owner of the property (co-signee also failed to keep up condo fees and mortgage payments).

How can he legally sell the truck to offset his expenses?

D'z Nutz
08-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Have googled this situation but would like to see if anyone has personally dealt with this and how they dealt with it.
Situation is my brother in law co-signed for an apartment condo for a former employee. That employee subsequently rented out the condo.
The renter failed to pay any of the bills and abandoned the apartment leaving behind a Ford pick up in the garage. The condo has sat been empty for 12 months.
The brother in law is now on the hook for all the delinquent bills and wants to push the truck out onto the street and let CPA deal with it.
I say he can take possession of the truck and sell it to re-coup storage costs since he is now the owner of the property (co-signee also failed to keep up condo fees and mortgage payments).

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/255590-claiming-ownership-of-a-abandoned-vehicles

ianmcc
08-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Read that thread-full of nothing.

D'z Nutz
08-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Read that thread-full of nothing.

Did you look up the Alberta Relinquished Property Dibs Law?

HomespunLobster
08-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Id check the title first. If he was bad on paying bills some bank might already own it and are waiting for it to pop up

mr2mike
08-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Start parting it out :angel:

Get in writing permission from condo board to have vehicle removed as you're the owner of the parking spot.

ianmcc
08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Did you look up the Alberta Relinquished Property Dibs Law?

I have looked up several QP links but see nothing about Alberta Relinquished Property Dibs.
Was hoping that someone has gone through a similar situation. And I did mention to the person in question about going to registry to check on any liens on it.

Xtrema
08-22-2017, 08:32 AM

https://albertacourts.ca/provincial-court/civil-small-claims-court/residential-tenancies-process

Get the ball rolling. The problem is a) you don't know who the truck belongs to, could be stolen and b) The truck may worth more than what he owes you.

The lesson here is don't cosign loans, even if's family, think twice. If someone can't get a loan in today's loan happy climate and he is not just out of school, there is a reason.

If I were you, I would just get that truck towed and cut your losses and move on.

mr2mike
08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
https://albertacourts.ca/provincial-court/civil-small-claims-court/residential-tenancies-process

Get the ball rolling. The problem is a) you don't know who the truck belongs to, could be stolen.
Call CPS, give them the plate info, if it's stolen or used in a crime, they'll come recover it.

Thaco
08-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Call CPS, give them the plate info, if it's stolen or used in a crime, they'll come recover it.

dont even really need that, if the parking spot is titled you can call parking enforcement yourself and have them remove it since it is technically your property.

Kloubek
08-22-2017, 10:25 AM

...or just use this link:
http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformvin.cfm

ianmcc
08-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Looks like he will just push it into the street.
And I agree with co-signing for anything especially for a mortgage for an employee. Hell I won't lend a family member a nickle that I can't afford to just write off.

flipstah
08-22-2017, 01:04 PM
There's a Q7 I want to claim so hard. Definitely abandoned behind White Elephant. ExtraSlow knows about it.

Disoblige
08-22-2017, 01:16 PM
There's a Q7 I want to claim so hard. Definitely abandoned behind White Elephant. ExtraSlow knows about it.
How does this process work on just random stuff you find anywhere? If you know it's abandoned, why don't you call the authorities about it so you can get the ball rolling?

flipstah
08-22-2017, 01:21 PM
How does this process work on just random stuff you find anywhere? If you know it's abandoned, why don't you call the authorities about it so you can get the ball rolling?

I think someone already did. There were notes left, but it's not towed out.

max_boost
08-22-2017, 01:55 PM

lol just call a tow company and bring it in haha

ExtraSlow
08-22-2017, 01:55 PM
It's on private property not belonging to me, or that bitch would be mine.

Sugarphreak
08-22-2017, 05:48 PM

ipeefreely
08-22-2017, 07:31 PM

It's on private property not belonging to me, or that bitch would be mine.

How many dead hookers do you think are in the trunk! :eek:

schurchill39
08-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Wasn't there a thread where a guy was asking about how can he legally cut a lock on a bike to claim it as his own because it was locked to some public fence?

J-hop
08-23-2017, 08:48 AM

Could also run the vin through CPIC for interest.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Could also run the vin through CPIC for interest.

I would suggest this.