PDA

View Full Version : Deerfoot Southbound - Loose Chips/80 Zones

CivicDXR
08-23-2017, 09:47 AM
So I've noticed two days in a row in the morning now, on southbound Deerfoot Trail, there are 2 slow to 80 zones. One looks like its for paving certain areas and barricades, and people are so zoned out in the morning that when I slow down from my normal 105-120 depending on the flow of traffic, to about 80-90 for it as the signs say 80, most people that don't notice the sigsn/construction zone, and either honk at me, or give me dirty looks/gestures as they pass me. :poosie:

But thats not the point of this thread.

My main question is: in the second 80 zone, there is a sign that says Loose Chips, and it looks like they filled all the little cracks and pits on the road surface with sand and pebbles. Now other than the front of my car getting sandblasted by these "loose chips" by people in front of me, and people blowing by me not knowing its an 80 zone, does this do the road any good, and what do they do with it afterwards? I'm assuming they would tar/oil it like they do on the other cracks and such, but if so, shouldn't they just do it at the same time instead of causing more rocks flying around?

Thats all, rant/question over! :)

rage2
08-23-2017, 10:59 AM
I always thought it was just a cheap way of resurfacing. Throw a bunch of loose chips on the road, cars driving through would put pressure on chips in holes to fill 'em, while the rest gets thrown into windshields, bumpers, necessitating glass replacement and repaint to help stimulate the economy.

Disoblige
08-23-2017, 11:21 AM
It is a super cheap and total detriment to the drivers on the road. We see this done all the time in more remote highways. The road ends up staying bumping as fuck (this work was done 2 years ago and it's still so rough and bumpy). For the first few months, your car gets severely pitted with tiny sharp chips. They feel like tiny glass shards. You follow anyone close and you're screwed.

revelations
08-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Thank the fucking province for this stupid shit. Same as how the Calf Robe bridge resurfacing made the bridge WORSE than it used to be. Its now a giant wobble and bump fest.

tonytiger55
08-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Thank the fucking province for this stupid shit. Same as how the Calf Robe bridge resurfacing made the bridge WORSE than it used to be. Its now a giant wobble and bump fest.

Omg don't get me started on that bridge. So many accidents at that bridge plus there is a curve. Drivers don't keep braking distance or anticipate the road ahead, they hit the curb with the bump, panic and brake. The idiot behind them is driving too close, he brakes or hits or its the idiot behind him.

Honestly look at google traffic map at rush hour, there is always a accident or near miss.

heavyD
08-23-2017, 01:02 PM
I can't believe the use of those chips are allowed. They easily crack windshields and damage the finish of cars using them.

Maxx Mazda
08-23-2017, 01:07 PM
No different than the dump trucks ripping by without a cover on their load leaving sand and gravel all over hells half acre...

heavyD
08-23-2017, 02:58 PM
No different than the dump trucks ripping by without a cover on their load leaving sand and gravel all over hells half acre...

Well technically there is a steep fine for that but city police tend to turn a blind eye to it. They do set up checkstops once or twice a year where they pull these trucks over and fine them but otherwise the trucks are free to scatter their loads all over public roads.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2017, 03:14 PM
the north. not once.

Seth1968
08-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Well at least we got art.

Kloubek
08-23-2017, 03:52 PM
I always thought it was just a cheap way of resurfacing. Throw a bunch of loose chips on the road, cars driving through would put pressure on chips in holes to fill 'em, while the rest gets thrown into windshields, bumpers, necessitating glass replacement and repaint to help stimulate the economy.

Hahaha. Pretty much precisely the same thought I had when I saw that sign. (And got sandblasted myself by the vehicles in front of me)

Disoblige
08-23-2017, 03:57 PM
It is very much different in terms of how sharp they are.

16hypen3sp
08-23-2017, 11:15 PM
It's called chip seal and it's not intended to be used as a crack filler. Chip seal is intended to protect the asphalt road surface. A smooth layer is actually pretty nice to drive on (minus the noise). Sealing cracks with it, not so much.

It's not too often you see a smooth layer laid down on a good stretch of roadway. Lacombe County did a pretty good job with theirs tho. But during the install of it, it's a nightmare to be near. Unfortunately, this kind of thing seems to be the way road rehab is going. Too cost effective for places to ignore.

speedog
08-24-2017, 05:44 AM
I can't believe the use of those chips are allowed. They easily crack windshields and damage the finish of cars using them.

Those must very sensitive windshields to be cracked by the little chips they are laying down. Maximum size of the gravel chips is 3/8ths of an inch, yeah it sounds bad when those chips are hitting your vehicle but I find it really unbelievable that someone's windshield could be cracked by such a small stone.

powerslave
08-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Speaking of Deerfoot construction etc, does anyone know what they're doing around the Deerfoot and Blackfoot/17 Ave area?

rage2
08-24-2017, 07:38 AM
Those must very sensitive windshields to be cracked by the little chips they are laying down. Maximum size of the gravel chips is 3/8ths of an inch, yeah it sounds bad when those chips are hitting your vehicle but I find it really unbelievable that someone's windshield could be cracked by such a small stone.
A BB gun pellet is 1/4 of the size and 1/2 the hardness. Can I shoot your window with some to see how sensitive your windshield is?

tonytiger55
08-24-2017, 08:44 AM
The issue I have is not the cracks. Its the mini chips. My front windshield has A LOT of mini chips... A LOT.
After washing it I thought all the micro marks were dirt I missed, then I realised what they were chips.. a lot of chips. :eek:

Its actually interesting. I bought my Honda 5 years ago, body was in good condition hardly any chips on the body or windshield. I was washing it the other day and I noticed the whole vehicle is littered with chips. :nut:
95% of the driving I do is highway and 52nd street SE.
Makes you ponder eh?

EK 2.0
08-24-2017, 09:22 AM
well technically there is a steep fine for that but city police tend to turn a blind eye to it. They do set up checkstops once or twice a year where they pull these trucks over and fine them but otherwise the trucks are free to scatter their loads all over public roads.

or smash sunroofs!!!!

CivicDXR
08-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Speaking of Deerfoot construction etc, does anyone know what they're doing around the Deerfoot and Blackfoot/17 Ave area?

Thats the first construction zone I mentioned in my first post. Not exactly sure what they are doing there, but I did notice new barriers on the right side. Can't tell why though.

Tik-Tok
08-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Its actually interesting. I bought my Honda 5 years ago, body was in good condition hardly any chips on the body or windshield. I was washing it the other day and I noticed the whole vehicle is littered with chips. :nut:
95% of the driving I do is highway and 52nd street SE.
Makes you ponder eh?

That's just normal wear and tear on Alberta highways from winter driving. You're lucky to get 5 years worth of pitting without any cracks.

speedog
08-24-2017, 10:05 AM
A BB gun pellet is 1/4 of the size and 1/2 the hardness. Can I shoot your window with some to see how sensitive your windshield is?

A BB gun pellet moving at 900 feet per second is a lot different than a rock chip that's doing less than 150 fps and probably less than 100fps.