PDA

View Full Version : There's Probably Dead Rodents In There

sexualbanana
08-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I've been tasked with cleaning out and demolishing an old wooden shed in my parents backyard. It's been up for about 22+ years, and for awhile some of the gaps werent covered. I'm pretty sure there will be a few dead rodents in there. A neighbor a few years back rang the door bell and said that his dog keeps sniffing around the shed presumably because there may something in there.

What precautions should I be taking? I figure a HEPA mask and gloves are warranted, and maybe disposable coveralls?

If I wanted to hire people to do it, any recommendations? Junk removers? Exterminator? I'm not sure.

phreezee
08-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Just have to take precautions for hanta virus so minimum gloves and mask

Doozer
08-23-2017, 03:35 PM
As above, mask and gloves for sure.

I'd wear coveralls, but they don't need to be disposable. A good sturdy pair of Carhartts will protect you from the odd broken board, etc, and they can just be washed and they'll be fine.

Depending on the condition of the place, probably some sturdy work boots too. Nothing worse than having a nail come up through the sole of a tennis shoe.

BavarianBeast
08-23-2017, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about a few dead mice. Owning a farm, I have to clean up close to 100 dead mice a year between the barns, Quonset and house. Just make sure to use a mask and gloves when handling any of the carcasses or fecal matter.

Buster
08-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Rip op

CLiVE
08-23-2017, 03:41 PM
If I wanted to hire people to do it, any recommendations? Junk removers? Exterminator? I'm not sure.

Just a redneck with a pickup. When are we doing this? lol

sexualbanana
08-23-2017, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't worry about a few dead mice. Owning a farm, I have to clean up close to 100 dead mice a year between the barns, Quonset and house. Just make sure to use a mask and gloves when handling any of the carcasses or fecal matter.

So just toss them in a garbage bag, right?

Just a redneck with a pickup. When are we doing this? lol

Lol. I think we're just getting a bin because there's all kind of shit in there that need to get tossed. I've been itching to tear that thing down for a decade.

suntan
08-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Have you considered selling them to the Chinese restaurants in town?

legendboy
08-23-2017, 06:11 PM
You will be ok with gloves, decent disposable pair probably and niosh mask

I know a few that have had hanta and almost died

Can you just pull it down with a truck?

Nufy
08-24-2017, 08:37 AM
5 dollars worth of gas...

1 match...

Profit ?????

Swank
08-24-2017, 10:09 AM
^Have to build a fire pit around it first

dj_rice
08-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Hire heavyD, doesnt he has a junk removal company that TomCo used?