PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Road Construction?

eblend
08-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

Can't seem to find any info about what exactly is happening on Anderson Road west of 24th Street. They build the pedestrian bridge there and it's been up since last year....but now, like 100m more West, they seem to be building another bridge? Any idea? The construction up to now look identical to what the bridge they just built last year looked like. I found some info online for the expansion of the Anderson road between Elbow and the upcoming ring road, but this doesn't look like any ring road related expansion or an offramp or anything, looks exactly like another bridge, like ~100m down the road from one they just built.

Any insight? Very curious. Hopefully they didn't build a bridge last year....only to require a new one this year to accommodate the road widening...but given the way our City plans stuff, wouldn't be surprised.

Aleks
08-24-2017, 07:38 AM
I know they are expanding it to 3 lanes in each direction starting this fall. So maybe prep for that.

eblend
08-24-2017, 07:44 AM
I know they are expanding it to 3 lanes in each direction starting this fall. So maybe prep for that.

Yah this much I have read. Drove by this morning, and the new pilings they are putting in are closer to the road than the bridge that opened last year, so it's kind of weird. On both sides of the road are hills, both hills have been flattened out directly across from each other as if it was another bridge, exact same view as the construction I got to watch every morning last year. Guess we wait and see.

kertejud2
08-24-2017, 07:48 AM
IIRC the first was built as a permanent fixture to connect Cedarbrae and Woodbine, while this one is the temporary pathway connector during the Ring Road construction (I think they were originally planned to just use that bridge as the connector but I wouldn't be surprised to see the bloat and scope creep of a provincial/municipal project like the Ring Road have another one as part of their plans for when they connect the pathways again after the Ring Road is built).

The SW Ring Road in its current form is the most expensive and wasteful project the province has ever undertaken, so there are going to be a lot of things that are wasteful and don't make sense during this time.

dirtsniffer
08-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Should've just built 5000 bike lanes, right?

This is half the cost of the green line lrt 'proposed' cost, and less expensive than the valley line lrt in edmonton.

kertejud2
08-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Should've just built 5000 bike lanes, right?

This is half the cost of the green line lrt 'proposed' cost, and less expensive than the valley line lrt in edmonton.

The LRT lines have provincial funding, but aren't provincial projects, and aren't putting up anywhere near the cost of the SW Ring Road (never mind the whole Ring Road).

Mitsu3000gt
08-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Connecting to Anderson, does anyone know when the 14th St SW construction will be done? The signs all say the lane closures were supposed to end Aug 23, but everything was still closed this morning and they don't look even close to being done. Can't find any info on it on city websites.

mr2mike
08-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Connecting to Anderson, does anyone know when the 14th St SW construction will be done? The signs all say the lane closures were supposed to end Aug 23, but everything was still closed this morning and they don't look even close to being done. Can't find any info on it on city websites.
+1
They're so slow. It's like they've never replaced a p/l before?!

schocker
08-24-2017, 03:46 PM
The LRT lines have provincial funding, but aren't provincial projects, and aren't putting up anywhere near the cost of the SW Ring Road (never mind the whole Ring Road).
So we shouldn't have built any of the ring road at all then and just had terrible congestion on the existing roads and require transport vehicles to just drive directly through the city?

01RedDX
08-24-2017, 03:53 PM

schocker
08-24-2017, 04:28 PM
The opposition to this vital road link is baffling, I mean you don't have to be an urban planner or a transportation engineer. Just looking at a map of the city it's obvious that there is a serious problem in the SW quadrant.
Hardly any cities have ring roads either, just look at this list, almost blank! :rofl:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ring_roads
They must be a terrible idea.

kertejud2
08-24-2017, 05:24 PM
So we shouldn't have built any of the ring road at all then and just had terrible congestion on the existing roads and require transport vehicles to just drive directly through the city?

Where did I say this? Or even imply it?

The SW Ring Road in it's current form is a giant waste of money. Pretty simple to understand, no? Scale back the SW Ring Road to save money and reduce future cost commitments that puts a barrier in front of inefficient development in the SW of the city. Better yet, make it a true bypass and eliminate several interchanges as well, which will save the city considerable dollars, too.

The opposition to this vital road link is baffling, I mean you don't have to be an urban planner or a transportation engineer. Just looking at a map of the city it's obvious that there is a serious problem in the SW quadrant.

A 16-lane problem? You'd have to be a 1970s transportation engineer or 1960s urban planner to think a road designed around a 16-lane ROW is vital in that portion of the city and is worth preserving for the future.

Hell, buy the land and keep the ROW, but max the connector out at 4 lanes, actually leaving the other space available for a more versatile set of projects in the future. You get the 110km/h highway grade connector that heavy vehicles can use, but by maxing out the capacity you can't induce more demand by increasing the size and making inefficient commutes easier that will put too much strain on the arteries it connects to.

ercchry
08-24-2017, 09:13 PM
It was that thinking that pushed the ring road into an almost 50 year project to begin with... and also the reason it now costs what it does now

suntan
08-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Luckily we have tax and spend governments at all three levels so the SW RR is happening no matter what.

dirtsniffer
08-25-2017, 04:16 PM

HDD under heritage is getting done right now. Finally. I think that's the last piece. Should be outta there in a week.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2017, 11:01 AM
HDD under heritage is getting done right now. Finally. I think that's the last piece. Should be outta there in a week.

Still closed, but they inexplicably took all their signs down around the 25th so nobody knows that lane is closed on 14th until it's too late. What a joke. They are STILL working on it a week later.