PDA

View Full Version : Enmax statement on water bills.

ZenOps
08-26-2017, 05:05 AM
https://www.enmax.com/news-events/statement-august-25-2017

Hasn't affected me personally.

firebane
08-26-2017, 07:37 AM
As I recently had my in house meter upgraded I was told a story about how the meter works.

You have your main meter in the basement with a remote box that is a monitor. If the monitor box becomes defunct or stops working nobody will be the wiser unless you watch your bills.

The guy told me a lady pulled the wire out of her remote box and it stopped monitoring. Then one day they had someone check the basement meter and found it was out by like a count of 2000.

phreezee
08-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Also if the water guy is too lazy to get out of their car to get the signal, they might send someone to your house to check the meter and waste your time.

suntan
08-26-2017, 08:26 AM
As I recently had my in house meter upgraded I was told a story about how the meter works.

You have your main meter in the basement with a remote box that is a monitor. If the monitor box becomes defunct or stops working nobody will be the wiser unless you watch your bills.

The guy told me a lady pulled the wire out of her remote box and it stopped monitoring. Then one day they had someone check the basement meter and found it was out by like a count of 2000.

This is a terribly designed system if true.

spikerS
08-26-2017, 09:31 AM
There have been some cases in the media lately where people are getting suprise bills of 2, 3, and ever $4000+ bills for 1 month of usage. I don't care who you are, that is going to come as a shock. The city will come replace your water meter and say that everything tests out fine too. But the amount of water being used according to the bill is sometimes more than enough to fill an olympic sized swimming pool! no way a leaky toilet or dripping faucet is going to use that much.

I feel bad for these people, and I just hope I am never one of these unlucky people.

speedog
08-26-2017, 10:10 AM
I guess if you're still a flat metered water user that you'd never have to worry about a $4,000 bill.

firebane
08-26-2017, 11:23 AM
This is a terribly designed system if true.

This is why they are upgrading the meters to a new version which does not use the box anymore

Sugarphreak
08-26-2017, 11:30 AM

suntan
08-26-2017, 11:37 AM
I get free water now :)

It is funny, people complain about the price of power in BC so much... my electric bill comes every 2 months and it less than 50$, no riders, no delivery cost, no admin fee...

BC taxes are higher but I always figured you might actually be ahead because utility bills and food costs are so much lower there.

Darell_n
08-26-2017, 11:49 AM
My co-worker left a sprinkler on accidentally for 8 hrs one night and his bill was an extra $50 higher. If he did this everyday his bill would be $1500 with no sign of a 'leak' anywhere other than a very healthy yard. This is another good reason to turn off the water while away on vacation as some random person could have your outdoor faucet on for a week.

spikerS
08-26-2017, 11:54 AM
My co-worker left a sprinkler on accidentally for 8 hrs one night and his bill was an extra $50 higher. If he did this everyday his bill would be $1500 with no sign of a 'leak' anywhere other than a very healthy yard. This is another good reason to turn off the water while away on vacation as some random person could have your outdoor faucet on for a week.

yeah, we figure it cost us about an extra $40 for us to fill up the kids swimming pool this summer, and it holds about 9500 L i think. it is 12' round with 39.5" deep.