PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2013 Rogue CVT failures in Calgary?

Sonic
08-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Considering one for wife, from what I've read, the CVTs tend to go into limp mode if "overheated"... The horror stories I've read seem to be limp mode in highway driving in hot humid days...Wondering if in a place like Calgary this is still common? Any beyonders know if anyone in Calgary that's has problems with Rogue trannies?

I'm also aware of the extended warranties but I'm considering ones that are close to if not over the 200,000km limit.. Also looking at 08s.

dirtsniffer
08-27-2017, 07:47 PM
My wife has one with 214xxx km and it's from 2012. It's an sl model though so it does have a transmission oil cooler. Fluid has been changed twice now.

Overall been a reliable car.

RickDaTuner
08-27-2017, 07:48 PM
CVTs are only reliable in sub 3000lbs cars anything above that and they generate way to much heat and suffer from chain stretch and fluid contamination.
So unless its an eco box grocery getter id steer clear.

Sonic
08-27-2017, 08:06 PM
CVTs are only reliable in sub 3000lbs cars anything above that and they generate way to much heat and suffer from chain stretch and fluid contamination.
So unless its an eco box grocery getter id steer clear.

The newer ones have coolers though and you can add aftermarket ones
... I'm just curious how prevalent it is in Calgary other than on the few hot days we get per year...

Pacman
08-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Not exactly the information you are looking for but another data point. I have two, 2012 Subaru Outbacks with the CVT transmission. From what I understand, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota were all sourcing their CVT from the same supplier. There have been a lot of reports on the Outback forums about CVT's breaking down. They are not serviceable and have to be replaced at a cost of $8,000 to the owner.

One of my cars has 190,000 km's on it and it seems to be running fine with no issues. The other one has 113,000 km's on it and I've had an instance where the car was in park and the idle was bouncing around and the car felt like it was going to stall. The AT light on the dashboard would blink on occasion. I haven't had it happen since.

I have taken one of them on various road trips in hot humid weather with no issues. We just came back from a trip to Victoria and then drove all around the Okanagan on the highway with no issues at all. The temps were mid 30's the entire trip.

mzdspd
08-28-2017, 09:17 AM
The Jatco CVT that Nissan uses seems to be a hit or miss. My dad's Murano with 250k is still on the original CVT, his has gone into limp mode a few times over its life.

But then my brother in law and mother in law have both had CVTs replaced on their altimas. Less then 60k on the cars.

But my dad, who works at a nissan dealer, said he would never buy a nissan again based on the amount of cvt failures that come in.

rage2
08-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Not exactly the information you are looking for but another data point. I have two, 2012 Subaru Outbacks with the CVT transmission. From what I understand, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota were all sourcing their CVT from the same supplier. There have been a lot of reports on the Outback forums about CVT's breaking down. They are not serviceable and have to be replaced at a cost of $8,000 to the owner.

One of my cars has 190,000 km's on it and it seems to be running fine with no issues. The other one has 113,000 km's on it and I've had an instance where the car was in park and the idle was bouncing around and the car felt like it was going to stall. The AT light on the dashboard would blink on occasion. I haven't had it happen since.

I have taken one of them on various road trips in hot humid weather with no issues. We just came back from a trip to Victoria and then drove all around the Okanagan on the highway with no issues at all. The temps were mid 30's the entire trip.
Pretty sure your outback has a Subaru CVT. Nissan's use Jatco CVTs. Jatco is 75% Nissan owned. edit - list of Jatco equipped cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jatco_transmissions#Continuously_variable_transmissions

We bought my MIL a new Rogue a couple years back and I did a bunch of research into the failures. I wanted to get her the RAV4, but she liked the Rogue much more so I was worried about CVT issues. MY2011, Jatco revised the CVT and really got rid of most of the failures, as well as improve response, noise, etc. Pre-2011 Rogues are ticking time bombs, but if it did suffer from a CVT failure after 2011, it would be replaced with a revised unit which shouldn't fail. Nissan's CVT extended warranty only covers up to 2011 IIRC. MIL lives in Kamloops, much hotter than Calgary on average, zero issues. Good mix of city driving and long distance highway driving.

So yea, either find a newer Rogue, or find one that's had a replacement post 2011.

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Parents have a 2012 Murano with a ton of KM on it, the car itself has had zero problems, and the CVT is still perfect. Our research suggested they are just as reliable as any other transmission after they got their act together about 6-7 years ago and so far that has been the case.

heavyD
08-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Parents have a 2012 Murano with a ton of KM on it, the car itself has had zero problems, and the CVT is still perfect. Our research suggested they are just as reliable as any other transmission after they got their act together about 6-7 years ago and so far that has been the case.

That's not true. They still aren't terribly reliable compared to regular automatics. Subaru recently had to offer extended warranty on their CVT's because they are problematic. What other transmissions have prompted to many extended warranties like CVT's?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/#74b79edb79dc

Xtrema
08-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Nissan has also provided extended warranty on CVTs pre 2010, including 2008-2010 Rouge.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

There are still a lot of chatter about CVT cooler upgrade/recall up to 2014. It tends to be an issue in hotter states like Pheonix and Texas.