PDA

View Full Version : 3 Calgary police officers charged with kidnapping and assault

gwill
08-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Ex police officer lodged a complaint that led to charges against 3 Calgary police officers for kidnapping and assault. Wow!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/3-calgary-police-kidnapping-charges-1.4269204

jabjab
08-30-2017, 04:34 PM
It's very unfortunate but I hope they get the worst possible sentence for this. As a police officer you should be held to a higher standard.

JfuckinC
08-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Police say the three members were part of the vice unit at the time.

They picked up a man on Jan. 20, 2010, who they believed had information related to an investigation into at-risk youth.

If it had anything to do with helping/protecting at risk youth, the person probably had it coming.... who knows :dunno:

Xtrema
08-31-2017, 08:33 AM
If it had anything to do with helping/protecting at risk youth, the person probably had it coming.... who knows :dunno:

That's what I thought too. Wonder why an ex member snitched on them.

rx7boi
08-31-2017, 08:47 AM
TL;DR - for those short on time:

Coleman says they are "chill guys."

gwill
08-31-2017, 09:18 PM

But they let the guy go after assaulting/kidnapping him. He didnt help them locate whatever at risk kid they mentioned. In the course of most police investigations they probably have to cross off multiple suspects before solving a case.

I guess youd support the kidnapping and assault of each suspect until they get the answers they need?

CPS comes across as the most corrupt police force out there.

J-hop
08-31-2017, 10:07 PM

3/2200 sworn members= 0.14%, people always generalize the entire force for the actions of an extremely small percent of the force

gatorade
09-01-2017, 05:21 AM

You're also following the assumption that said individual had the relevant information.

Ca_Silvia13
09-01-2017, 08:17 AM
3/2200 sworn members= 0.14%, people always generalize the entire force for the actions of an extremely small percent of the force

You don't have to go back too far to find many more examples. Wasn't it last year when the EPS called out the CPS about it internal complaint reviews? I'm not saying all 2200 are bad either but its certainly more than the 1.5% you mention

rage2
09-01-2017, 08:58 AM
You haven't been out much have you?

JfuckinC
09-01-2017, 08:59 AM
But they let the guy go after assaulting/kidnapping him. He didnt help them locate whatever at risk kid they mentioned. In the course of most police investigations they probably have to cross off multiple suspects before solving a case.

I guess youd support the kidnapping and assault of each suspect until they get the answers they need?

I feel like the CPS are usually more informed than you are giving them credit for. It's hardly kidnapping picking someone up in a paddy wagon(or whatever vehicle) and shaking them down and letting them go after 20 minutes.

You're also following the assumption that said individual had the relevant information.

Obviously I'm making assumptions, yes, but so so is gwill, how does he know it didn't help their investigation? (or did i honestly miss that in the article?). Unlike you guys i give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like they beat up random people walking down the street for minor offenses.

But like i(you) said, all we can all do is assume, and we will come to our own conclusions until more details are released. But how often do we ever get to know more? :dunno:

J-hop
09-01-2017, 09:29 AM
You don't have to go back too far to find many more examples. Wasn't it last year when the EPS called out the CPS about it internal complaint reviews? I'm not saying all 2200 are bad either but its certainly more than the 1.5% you mention

You moved the decimal it's 0.14 % literally negligible. Not defending they're actions but people don't take rational perspectives in these situations

gwill
09-01-2017, 09:39 AM
It's hardly kidnapping? I guess the crown prosecutors think otherwise. After all they only have the facts shown before them to determine what charges should be laid.

We cant go a month or so before seeing a new story with charges laid against cps. Compared to other cities it seems calgary has far more charges being laid against their officers then most other cities.

revelations
09-01-2017, 10:05 AM
It's hardly kidnapping? I guess the crown prosecutors think otherwise. After all they only have the facts shown before them to determine what charges should be laid.

We cant go a month or so before seeing a new story with charges laid against cps. Compared to other cities it seems calgary has far more charges being laid against their officers then most other cities.

Um, could it be possible that the CPS actually give a shit and lay charges whereas other LEOs may not be so quick?

dezmarez
09-01-2017, 01:58 PM

https://medium.com/@ShaunKing/soul-snatchers-how-the-nypds-42nd-precinct-the-bronx-da-s-office-and-the-city-of-new-york-7454a5a43924

Give that a read...

phil98z24
09-01-2017, 02:07 PM

Where in there does it say they didn't get any relevant information from the investigation? Just because someone has been spoken to by police doesn't mean they are being arrested or charged. It's possible this person came forward voluntarily and things changed during the investigation and it turned into an arrest that was perceived as unlawful. That can turn into unlawful confinement and assault right there. It doesn't mean they beat him down or actually injured anyone.

Again, it's all allegations as anything is before the courts - and instead of making the leap to worst case scenario, consider none of us know the facts and we can only speculate.

JRSC00LUDE
09-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Phil, I can think of a few times (one this week I believe) where a member of the public has brought media attention to a CPS officer who has gone above and beyond the requirement of their position to provide extra care and assistance to someone. Motivated, and this is purely conjecture on my part, by the simple human condition of empathy for their fellow man.

Now I'm going to go ahead and assume that not ALL such instances make the news. I'm also going to assume that the number of such instances reported is equal to or greater than, 0.14% of CPS staff. By using Gwill's own brush, this clearly evidences that the majority of Officers are good people who aim to help the community. And CPS comes across as the most caring and empathetic force out there.

Problem solved?

phil98z24
09-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Phil, I can think of a few times (one this week I believe) where a member of the public has brought media attention to a CPS officer who has gone above and beyond the requirement of their position to provide extra care and assistance to someone. Motivated, and this is purely conjecture on my part, by the simple human condition of empathy for their fellow man.

Now I'm going to go ahead and assume that not ALL such instances make the news. I'm also going to assume that the number of such instances reported is equal to or greater than, 0.14% of CPS staff. By using Gwill's own brush, this clearly evidences that the majority of Officers are good people who aim to help the community. And CPS comes across as the most caring and empathetic force out there.

Problem solved?

No, it doesn't fit his narrative. #fakelogic :rofl:

gwill
09-01-2017, 07:50 PM
3 officers are charged with kidnapping and assault and the police officer announcing the charges to the media paints the officers as excellent cops and incredible people that he's personally known for years.

Yes, what an incredibly dedicated group of police officers. We only had to charge them with kidnapping and assault.

How the hell do kidnapping charges get announced and somehow only great things are discussed about the officers. No other criminals charges get announced with such a positive spin. It shows how corrupt cps is when they blindly defend an extremely serious charge.

gatorade
09-02-2017, 05:30 AM
I feel like the CPS are usually more informed than you are giving them credit for. It's hardly kidnapping picking someone up in a paddy wagon(or whatever vehicle) and shaking them down and letting them go after 20 minutes.

Obviously I'm making assumptions, yes, but so so is gwill, how does he know it didn't help their investigation? (or did i honestly miss that in the article?). Unlike you guys i give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like they beat up random people walking down the street for minor offenses.

But like i(you) said, all we can all do is assume, and we will come to our own conclusions until more details are released. But how often do we ever get to know more? :dunno:

That's why we have the rule of law. Following it means people can't arbitrarily make decisions outside it no matter how good the intentions were. There's a reason why we have things such as probable cause and warrants. The process is there to ensure that the measures we are taking are justified and transparent. When people, in this case the police start working outside it the whole system falls apart.

Shlade
09-02-2017, 08:11 AM
You haven't been out much have you?

No shit....

gwill
09-12-2017, 10:38 PM
2 police officers in Ontario were charged with drug trafficking. When the police force announced the charges they harshly criticized the officers.

Meanwhile in Calgary cops who are charged with kidnapping are praised by the police force for being great cops and great people.

revelations
09-13-2017, 10:02 AM
2 police officers in Ontario were charged with drug trafficking. When the police force announced the charges they harshly criticized the officers.

Meanwhile in Calgary cops who are charged with kidnapping are praised by the police force for being great cops and great people.

Im not saying what the CPS were doing was "correct" , but do you know the back story by chance? ( I dont ). Its too bad they wont publish what REALLY happened. Good members with distinguished careers dont just randomly kidnap people off the streets..... unless perhaps someone elses' life is in danger.

gwill
09-13-2017, 05:15 PM
and why would we need to know the back story. The police in Ontario had no problem harshly criticizing their officers charged with trafficking.

When do we see anyones charges announced by praising those who were charged? It doesnt happen that way unless you happen to be a calgary police officer.

It's corrupt and its wrong. It sends the wrong message.

If you were charged with kidnapping you wouldnt be discussed in a positive light by cps to the media... It's ridiculous.

revelations
09-13-2017, 06:01 PM
and why would we need to know the back story. The police in Ontario had no problem harshly criticizing their officers charged with trafficking.

When do we see anyones charges announced by praising those who were charged? It doesnt happen that way unless you happen to be a calgary police officer.

It's corrupt and its wrong. It sends the wrong message.

If you were charged with kidnapping you wouldnt be discussed in a positive light by cps to the media... It's ridiculous.

Lets speculate:

What if the shithead had your underage daughter against her will and in constant danger. Would a kidnapping and phonebooking a career criminal, who has already committed numerous other acts of despicable nature, be AS bad then? This POS ended up killing himself in an unrelated event some months later anyway.

No one is praising them for the actual criminal acts they did in the course of their duties, (rather, they were good members overall) but to me, this sounds like there is MUCH more of a back story than "PIGS KIDNAP AN INNOCENT MAN AND BEAT HIM TO A PULP".

Trafficking illegal substances is of no benefit to anyone but the dealers themselves. Selfish motives resulted in their demise. I dont get the impression that this case with the CPS was for those reasons at all.

Feruk
09-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Lets speculate:

What if the shithead had your underage daughter against her will and in constant danger. Would a kidnapping and phonebooking a career criminal, who has already committed numerous other acts of despicable nature, be AS bad then? This POS ended up killing himself in an unrelated event some months later anyway.
I think there is a lot of people who would do that, but I expect that those people would likely be aware they could face charges for it later and just not care. Cops are not most people though. Because of the additional rights we give them, they must be held to a higher standard in observing the law.

sexualbanana
09-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Lets speculate:

No one is praising them for the actual criminal acts they did in the course of their duties, (rather, they were good members overall) but to me, this sounds like there is MUCH more of a back story than "PIGS KIDNAP AN INNOCENT MAN AND BEAT HIM TO A PULP".

Trafficking illegal substances is of no benefit to anyone but the dealers themselves. Selfish motives resulted in their demise. I dont get the impression that this case with the CPS was for those reasons at all.

I think you need to give that Taken DVD a little break. Looks like it's been working overtime.

revelations
09-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Probably, but once you've worked the front lines - anything is possible.

There was a high profile case in Vancouver in the late 90s where several VPD members took known drug dealers to a local park and phone booked them - to teach them a lesson that the justice system didn’t. These lowlife shitheads were selling dope in elementary schools apparently. Anyway the VPD took a blind eye to it until, some idealistic young member (again) took it upon themselves to narc. The "stanley park 6" they were known, and vilified in the media. Once the back story came out, it sort of made sense in that context - but still illegal and the members were charged.

syscal
09-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Without looking at more than the article, my thought is that someone is using a technicality to charge the officers.

gwill
09-14-2017, 06:14 PM
revelations - in surprised you think kidnapping is less serious vs drug trafficking. We all have the same set of laws to abide by so regardless of circumnstance i expect everyone to be treated equally when it comes to our laws.

If i kidnapped and assaulted someone regardless of why I did it I know the police wouldnt parade me before the media and paint me in the best possible light.

Is it that difficult to hold cps to the same standard as any other criminal? Why would they be treated differently in the media? Why won't our police force do what the police force in Ontario did and immediately condemn the officers for their actions?

Shlade
09-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Why won't our police force do what the police force in Ontario did and immediately condemn the officers for their actions?

Would you want to be sent to prison before you got convicted of your crime before the courts? Use your head.

At this point nothing has been proven in court. I'm not sure what you're referring to that happened in Ontario but there is a thing called due process. No police force should appease the court of public opinion under pressure.

gwill
09-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Would you want to be sent to prison before you got convicted of your crime before the courts? Use your head.

At this point nothing has been proven in court. I'm not sure what you're referring to that happened in Ontario but there is a thing called due process. No police force should appease the court of public opinion under pressure.

This has nothing to do with due process. When has cps ever announced charges for serious crimes and announced those charged as being such positive role models?

If cps will do this for their officers in front of the media then why aren't they doing this for any other people charged with such serious crimes? A quick search of kidnapping charges and I can't find a single case where cps praises any of the charges they announced.

Here is the link of the Durham police being charged

http://m.torontosun.com/2017/09/12/two-durham-cops-charged-in-drug-trafficking-probe

The one media member at the news release even questioned cps why they were discussing things in such a positive light when compared to any other similar charge. It's at the bottom of this:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3707861/3-calgary-police-officers-charged-with-kidnapping-2-with-assault/

revelations
09-15-2017, 09:44 AM
revelations - in surprised you think kidnapping is less serious vs drug trafficking. We all have the same set of laws to abide by so regardless of circumnstance i expect everyone to be treated equally when it comes to our laws.

If i kidnapped and assaulted someone regardless of why I did it I know the police wouldnt parade me before the media and paint me in the best possible light.

Is it that difficult to hold cps to the same standard as any other criminal? Why would they be treated differently in the media? Why won't our police force do what the police force in Ontario did and immediately condemn the officers for their actions?

You seem to think in black and white concepts, with regards to the roles that the CPS and RCMP perform, which I can assure you, do not apply in the real world. It is literally hundreds of shades of gray sometimes.

Because of your narrow view, there is no point going any further. The CPS members are guilty of a serious crime, regardless of why they did it, and thats the end of that.
The fact that other members commended these "criminals" makes the rest of the organization bad. End of story.