PDA

View Full Version : Any good RURAL internet providers out there?

calab
08-30-2017, 10:38 PM
We're looking at moving out the the country... which means giving up our Shaw cable internet. It looks like we'd be stuck on some kind of wireless internet services.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rural Alberta internet providers? We'd be looking in the Gleichen or Cluny areas - about an hour east of Calgary.

Thanks!

HHURICANE1
08-30-2017, 10:54 PM
CCI Wireless if they are in that area. 5-10 mbps depending on your package but unlimited data. Though Bell and Telus have LTE wireless that is supposed to be much faster but fairly restrictive on data. Skip Explornet, they have a terrible reputation.

never
08-30-2017, 10:58 PM
I'm on Xplornet satellite internet, only option out where I am. It's okay.

HiTempguy1
08-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Telus has rural service now. LTE is 40-50mbps, which is crazy fast for what it is. Something like $50 for 50gb, $75 for 250 and $100 for 500? You have to prove you are rural with no access to land line based internet, but I don't think they are too picky.

My parents switched to it on the acreage just outside Red Deer, a god send.

Stealth22
08-31-2017, 01:59 PM
I have no clue what the coverage is like, but have you checked if there's an area you have in mind that's served by the rural fibre optic network?

https://www.connectalberta.ca/

calab
08-31-2017, 09:16 PM
I have no clue what the coverage is like, but have you checked if there's an area you have in mind that's served by the rural fibre optic network?

https://www.connectalberta.ca/

Drat! Nothing where I want to go. Sounds like a sweet deal if you can get it!

Maxt
09-09-2017, 03:55 AM
I'm on Xplornet satellite internet, only option out where I am. It's okay.
We just got the xplornet set up near Priddis... 100 a month for 50 gb's and the speed sucks balls, I'm cancelling it and I'm going to try the Telus smart hub thingy instead...

ExtraSlow
05-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Suggestions for rural Internet near parkland beach? I think there's Telus copper in that area. Cellphone coverage is garbage with both Telus and Rogers.

killramos
05-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Suggestions for rural Internet near parkland beach? I think there's Telus copper in that area. Cellphone coverage is garbage with both Telus and Rogers.

https://cciwireless.ca/wireless-plans/

I think this is who my buddy uses across the lake at Raymond Shores.

revelations
05-12-2020, 12:45 PM

Check the coverage at the top part of the house - sometimes a room will have coverage.

tha_bandit
05-12-2020, 12:52 PM
telus hub with an external antenna should be good, just aim towards a known tower

Anomaly
05-12-2020, 01:02 PM
I moved to an acreage about a year ago, definitely miss my Shaw 300. I'm using the Telus Smarthub with an Wilson external antenna and it's been pretty solid since I ditched the Huawei B612 for a ZTE router. I see about 20mbps down, 25 up.

killramos
05-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Issue with Telus is securing enough of a data cap. I think they max out at ~1TB monthly for rural internet and it’s expensive.

1TB doesn’t go very far if you want any interest in streaming services.

That’s where the other rural guys shine, their service may not be fast but it’s unlimited and it’s still plenty fast enough to watch HD Netflix or stream sports.

We use some guys called “WiFibre” down in Vulcan for internet and it’s pretty slow but it works and No caps.