PDA

View Full Version : Utah cop arrests nurse

ZenOps
09-02-2017, 10:31 AM
ihQ1-LQOkns

MR2-3SGTE
09-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Saw this on Facebook. Cop got discharged from the blood draw department but no other repercussions.

revelations
09-02-2017, 02:43 PM
American laws, Utah legislation ..... completely non applicable to us here.

spikerS
09-02-2017, 02:47 PM
I am a pretty staunch supporter of the blue, but this cop is in the wrong line of work and needs to be turfed. There is no excuse for that power trip, and while the nurse became a total attention whore after the cop went to arrest her, she is 100% right.

With judges passing out warrants for shit like this like candy, the cop could have phoned in the request and had a warrant in 15 minutes to give to the nurse and problem solved, and by the books too. This now will call into question every blood draw this cop has done in similar situations, and probably a bunch of dismissed charges for legitimately guilty people.

JRSC00LUDE
09-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Attention whore? Get real. :facepalm:

gwill
09-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Id love to defend the cop for doing his job but I know people around here have a much higher standard for police officers that theyll defend. For example the cps officers charged with kidnapping and assault.

Those alleged kidnappers are great officers as per the news release.

spikerS
09-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Attention whore? Get real. :facepalm:

yeah, IMO.

Screaming "why are you doing this?" in hystarics and shit. once the cop started, he isn't going to back down, and by resisting, you are just gonna make it worse on yourself.

I mean, if I were in here position and this happened to me, I would quietly put my hands behind my back, and be marched out to the car with my dignity intact, and then smile to the bank when my lawyer delivers my settlement cheque.

JRSC00LUDE
09-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Id love to defend the cop for doing his job but I know people around here have a much higher standard for police officers that theyll defend. For example the cps officers charged with kidnapping and assault.

Those alleged kidnappers are great officers as per the news release.

Your biased hatred keeps your blinders on too tight to see realities. Too bad, it's made finding any credibility in these "opinions" impossible.

01RedDX
09-03-2017, 08:47 AM

legendboy
09-03-2017, 09:07 AM
It looks like straight up fear and confusion on her part. She's probably never been arrestetd, didn't do anything wrong so it be pure instinct for her at that point.
I think i learned how to treat/react/act towards police officers by the age of.... 15? haha

Fuckhead cop for sure tho, he lost his temper

Tik-Tok
09-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Saw this on Facebook. Cop got discharged from the blood draw department but no other repercussions.

Yeah, no.

The department opened an internal affairs investigation, he said, and Friday evening the police department said Payne and another "employee" were placed on full administrative leave as a result of a criminal investigation into the incident. The department said the second person was an officer, but did not identify that officer.

spikerS
09-03-2017, 10:06 AM
But how are you going to prove that you were distressed and traumatized by the experience if you're all calm and shit?

touche...

dHufE4u7riI?t=11

Gestalt
09-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Cops get to make up their own rules. Better do as uour told or its ok if they beet you or if your black shoot you.

zhao
09-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Yeah, no.

mr2-3sgte was correct prior to this going viral. One of the first articles on this stated that was all that had happened so far.

My understanding also is the other cop is likely his boss as I read somewhere that apparently his boss told him to arrest her falsely under an outdated law that hasn't been on the books in at least 10 years.

This is exactly the type of cop that should be made an example of. Ignorant of the laws, extremely poor judgement, needs to power trip, easy to anger. As far as i'm concerned this cop should be fired, barred from ever working in law enforcement again, and charged with everything in the book that could apply. Enough that he should serve jail time.

Those other cops standing there should be fired also. Policies were explained to these cops and they still allowed this guy to arrest that nurse for obeying the law and policies in place. fuck them all.

SKR
09-03-2017, 11:16 AM
beet you

You tried too hard on this one.

Anyway, why did the cop need a blood sample from a victim?

sexualbanana
09-03-2017, 11:33 AM
You tried too hard on this one.

Anyway, why did the cop need a blood sample from a victim?

I believe it was a burn victim for a car accident and he wanted to draw blood for BA level. But the victim was unconscious and couldn't give consent, so they tried to draw it anyways without a warrant.

spikerS
09-03-2017, 11:34 AM
I was wondering that too. as far as I can tell, the guy running from the cops smoked the semi truck...why do they need a blood sample from the truck driver? doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Unless it is quota time and they are looking to issue tickets...

zhao
09-03-2017, 12:21 PM
I believe it was a burn victim for a car accident and he wanted to draw blood for BA level. But the victim was unconscious and couldn't give consent, so they tried to draw it anyways without a warrant.

I also read that this was all about a semi driver. My understanding is they were chasing someone else who got hit by this semi driver resulting in a exploding fiery giant wreck. I'm guessing they were hoping for a hail mary and finding that the semi driver was under some sort of influence of dope or drugs or booze or something to cast all blame on him, rather then on the police for having a part in a fatal traffic accident. That is why the driver was not under arrest (because technically he was an innocent bystander that got taken out by the criminal they were chasing) and they couldn't easily satisfy their other requirements for a sample.

Seth1968
09-03-2017, 12:22 PM
mr2-3sgte was correct prior to this going viral. One of the first articles on this stated that was all that had happened so far.

My understanding also is the other cop is likely his boss as I read somewhere that apparently his boss told him to arrest her falsely under an outdated law that hasn't been on the books in at least 10 years.

needs to power trip, easy to anger.

That's exactly what we have come down to in all aspects.

Ban emotion.

Gestalt
09-03-2017, 03:10 PM
I also read that this was all about a semi driver. My understanding is they were chasing someone else who got hit by this semi driver resulting in a exploding fiery giant wreck. I'm guessing they were hoping for a hail mary and finding that the semi driver was under some sort of influence of dope or drugs or booze or something to cast all blame on him, rather then on the police for having a part in a fatal traffic accident. That is why the driver was not under arrest (because technically he was an innocent bystander that got taken out by the criminal they were chasing) and they couldn't easily satisfy their other requirements for a sample.

No surprise. These mall security types wuth guns are out of control.

Seth1968
09-03-2017, 03:44 PM
There's a proverbial reason why people choose to become cops.

No, it's not to serve and protect. That's a fucking joke.

max_boost
09-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Power trip.

Seth1968
09-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Power trip.

Yes sir, no sir, your honor, your majesty, kiss the pope's ring.

The latter is succumb to ignorance and the retarded industry of pedophiles.

The former doesn't resist, and bows down to the bully.

How about we call a spade a spade?

Gman.45
09-05-2017, 05:37 PM
What's crazy is the guy they wanted to draw blood from was a reserve officer in another department nearby, and was working his 2nd job as a trucker when hit, and lit on fire. His department said the following (Officer Gray).

'The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm, and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act,' the department wrote on Facebook on Friday.

The nurse was in the right from what I've read, the victim wasn't under arrest, there was no electronic or other warrant issued, and he wasn't conscious which precludes consent. The really bad part of all this is what the 2nd arresting officer, the one on the phone initially in the OP video, who showed up later, said later on, which there are vids of. He told the nurse that regardless of her thinking that she was acting within the law and constitution, his badge trumps that, and she had to comply, and if he did anything illegal or unconstitutional, there are protecitons "later" which will just get his "evidence" thrown out. Nice huh. This cops attitude is basically then he can go ahead and violate peoples rights, and that's just fine, as there are legal protections "later" which will work it out in court. Uh, ya, good one.

He also goes on to say he's going to take "revenge" in the future vs the hospital by dropping off every dreg and violent/hard case "customers" he has there in the future, and take the "good" patients to other hospitals.

Adios career, and adios millions of taxpayers $ in the state to pay for the upcoming lawsuits. What an IDIOT. I'd love to say that everyone makes mistakes, and this was this officers big one, but what he said to the nurse sounded very much like he'd used that speech before, and he said specifically that "this hospital always gets in they way of MY law, it's always NO NO NO". That sure makes him sound like he's done this shit before, and just pushed until nurses folded and gave him what he wanted.

The unfortunate part of this whole thing is, as always, the majority of good cops get painted with this brush now, and of course the media will do all it can to use this incident to throw gas on the fire. I hope the outcome from this is more of the good cops educate, and if not educate, then throw out, the cops who act like this guy did. From his statements it sure sounded like this cop was convince that "his law" supersedes the "actual law", and these guys have to mend their ways, or go, as they hurt their own as much as the public they violate.

IMO the reason this is so important for the State, and generally civil rights in the Western world as a whole, is that when threatened with an arrest that is illegal or unlawful, the victim has NO recourse, as we all know what happens if you resist even an illegal arrest - you're going to get charged with assault PO regardless if you're in the right or not, which means officers who act illegally can essentially assault you with impunity if they choose to ignore the law and make an illegal arrest. Thankfully, this doesn't happen frequently up here, yes, I'm sure it has, but it certainly is outside the norm in my experience. Obviously it does happen, as it did in this case, luckily nobody was hurt and the nurse was released. Being a cop is sure a huge responsibility, which is why I still feel they should have protections and some latitude, but the line and law should be crystal clear for ALL officers, and again, luckily, I believe this to be the case with departments and the RCMP here in Canada in the vast majority of incidents. I still find it very strange that an officer tasked specifically with "blood drawing", wasn't absolutely clear and checked out on the law, policy, and of course the constitutional rights in his state. I still hold to the 10% rule, where in every job, 10% are "switched off" and somehow sneak through every check and balance that should stop them.

Xtrema
09-05-2017, 07:54 PM
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45689348&nid=148

He got fired from his 2nd job for the transporting hobo to the hospital comment

After the body cam came out, there is no way anyone will be on their side. They are basically saying they have a right of illegal seizure and if it is not admissible so be it.

Not a bad take on this:

https://youtu.be/iFxSGNrbEzs

sexualbanana
09-05-2017, 10:59 PM
After the body cam came out, there is no way anyone will be on their side. They are basically saying they have a right of illegal seizure and if it is not admissible so be it.

Police already have that ability. It's called civil asset forfeiture and the current administration is currently trying to expand on its use when Sessions signed an order to increase asset seizures. Basically, it allows police to seize any cash or assets that they suspect to be part of a crime without requiring a conviction or even probable cause. The DEA for example seized over $3.2B in 2016.

J-hop
09-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Police already have that ability. It's called civil asset forfeiture and the current administration is currently trying to expand on its use when Sessions signed an order to increase asset seizures. Basically, it allows police to seize any cash or assets that they suspect to be part of a crime without requiring a conviction or even probable cause. The DEA for example seized over $3.2B in 2016.

From what I've read they've needed probable cause in the past and the new order specifically requires it.

sexualbanana
09-06-2017, 08:38 AM
From what I've read they've needed probable cause in the past and the new order specifically requires it.

It all happens on the spot, so probable cause doesn't really need to be proven to anybody because warrants and/or criminal charges aren't required - in a lot of states suspicion is sufficient. Not to mention it's typically targeted towards those who are less likely to fight to get those assets back because it requires going to court and costly legal fees (DC charges $25K just for the right to challenge a police seizure in court). Coincidentally, they are also the ones lease likely to challenge the police on probable cause, or lack thereof. In fact, an inspector general's report found that half of the DEA's asset seizures weren't tied into a larger or broader investigation. It would go on to conclude that “When seizure and administrative forfeitures do not ultimately advance an investigation or prosecution, law enforcement creates the appearance, and risks the reality, that it is more interested in seizing and forfeiting cash than advancing an investigation or prosecution."

There have been many high-profile cases in which agencies were using civil asset forfeiture laws to shakedown ordinary people. Google "Tenaha Texas" and "civil asset forfeiture"

colinxx235
09-06-2017, 08:53 AM
I was wondering that too. as far as I can tell, the guy running from the cops smoked the semi truck...why do they need a blood sample from the truck driver? doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Unless it is quota time and they are looking to issue tickets...

My assumption would be that because the guy was badly injured in an accident involving the police chasing a guy down the hallway that they were afraid to be on the hook for damages to the victim. If the victim had any trace of drugs or alcohol in his system that would most likely void any claims he would have against the police for payment.

This whole situation is pretty fucked, especially when you see the videos of the two officers talking outside after they had already caused a scene and arrested the nurse. They knew they were fully in the wrong and breaking Utah law but tried to flex the "We're the police do as we say" power. Man handling a nurse because she won't do something illegal and arresting her is just ridiculous. Especially when you have body cams and people around are all filming. Quite a dumbass officer.

Tik-Tok
09-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Police already have that ability. It's called civil asset forfeiture

That doesn't include blood samples though. (currently)

Xtrema
09-06-2017, 09:53 AM
My assumption would be that because the guy was badly injured in an accident involving the police chasing a guy down the hallway that they were afraid to be on the hook for damages to the victim. If the victim had any trace of drugs or alcohol in his system that would most likely void any claims he would have against the police for payment.

This whole situation is pretty fucked, especially when you see the videos of the two officers talking outside after they had already caused a scene and arrested the nurse. They knew they were fully in the wrong and breaking Utah law but tried to flex the "We're the police do as we say" power. Man handling a nurse because she won't do something illegal and arresting her is just ridiculous. Especially when you have body cams and people around are all filming. Quite a dumbass officer.

What started a CYA move turned out to be even bigger shit show. You would bet the nurse will get some $. The cop/truck driver will get some $. A bunch of lawyers will get rich. I hope those cops on cam get fired.

sexualbanana
09-06-2017, 10:24 AM
yeah, IMO.

Screaming "why are you doing this?" in hystarics and shit. once the cop started, he isn't going to back down, and by resisting, you are just gonna make it worse on yourself.

I mean, if I were in here position and this happened to me, I would quietly put my hands behind my back, and be marched out to the car with my dignity intact, and then smile to the bank when my lawyer delivers my settlement cheque.

He's not likely to change his mind, but people around them have to know that what the cop was doing was wrong. Granted, I don't think that was her purpose when she was crying, but if I'm being detained or arrested for something that is clearly wrong and unconstitutional, I'm going to let as many people around me know that it's wrong.

J-hop
09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
It all happens on the spot, so probable cause doesn't really need to be proven to anybody because warrants and/or criminal charges aren't required - in a lot of states suspicion is sufficient. Not to mention it's typically targeted towards those who are less likely to fight to get those assets back because it requires going to court and costly legal fees (DC charges $25K just for the right to challenge a police seizure in court). Coincidentally, they are also the ones lease likely to challenge the police on probable cause, or lack thereof. In fact, an inspector general's report found that half of the DEA's asset seizures weren't tied into a larger or broader investigation. It would go on to conclude that “When seizure and administrative forfeitures do not ultimately advance an investigation or prosecution, law enforcement creates the appearance, and risks the reality, that it is more interested in seizing and forfeiting cash than advancing an investigation or prosecution."

There have been many high-profile cases in which agencies were using civil asset forfeiture laws to shakedown ordinary people. Google "Tenaha Texas" and "civil asset forfeiture"

I completely agree that in practice the probable cause part is grey. But in terms of the actual order (and the previous rules) it does require probable cause. The new order doesn't remove probable cause from the requirements. Again I agree with what you're saying from a practical standpoint you just made it sound like the order doesn't call for probable cause

sexualbanana
09-06-2017, 01:09 PM
I completely agree that in practice the probable cause part is grey. But in terms of the actual order (and the previous rules) it does require probable cause. The new order doesn't remove probable cause from the requirements. Again I agree with what you're saying from a practical standpoint you just made it sound like the order doesn't call for probable cause

The probable (I keep accidentally typing "probably" and it's pissing me off) cause is difficult to prove because all the forfeitures happen before a charge or even a trial. The amounts are also typically so small that it's simply not worth fighting to get back. Georgia brought in $2.76MM in 2011 through asset forfeitures, more than half of the items taken in those seizures were less than $650 in value. And the fact that all this is done under the guise of a civil forfeiture, and not a criminal forfeiture, it's all happening without conviction or even due process.

To Sessions, his position is that 4/5 administrative civil asset forfeiture cases go unchallenged, which seems to imply that the lack of a challenge is proof of guilt. But the math simply prevails in that, if hiring a civil rights lawyer costs more than the possession that was seized, there's no reason to challenge, and given that it's a civil trial, there's no right to a public defender either.

So yeah, I agree with you that in theory, civil asset forfeiture can be useful, but it also goes against the fourth and fifth amendments, and there a million ways in which its use can go sideways in practice.

sexualbanana
10-11-2017, 09:18 AM
The cop, who is also a paramedic apparently, was fired by SLCP chief.

http://wkrg.com/2017/10/10/breaking-utah-police-officer-fired-after-handcuffing-dragging-nurse-from-hospital/

tonytiger55
10-11-2017, 09:35 AM
The cop, who is also a paramedic apparently, was fired by SLCP chief.

http://wkrg.com/2017/10/10/breaking-utah-police-officer-fired-after-handcuffing-dragging-nurse-from-hospital/

Wow... he was a officer for 27 years.
I wonder what he will do now? Maybe this is the prequel of Mike from Breaking Bad..

Tik-Tok
10-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Honest to god blown away by this. Tons of footage of cops murdering suspects and they kept their jobs, footage of one cop power tripping on a white girl and he gets fired. I can only imagine how triggered BLM is right now :rofl:

Xtrema
10-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Wow... he was a officer for 27 years.
I wonder what he will do now? Maybe this is the prequel of Mike from Breaking Bad..

I bet he get to keep the pension.

gwill
10-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Honest to god blown away by this. Tons of footage of cops murdering suspects and they kept their jobs, footage of one cop power tripping on a white girl and he gets fired. I can only imagine how triggered BLM is right now :rofl:

Haha so funny yet so very sad and pathetic.

Gestalt
10-15-2017, 04:11 PM

:rofl:

Epic