PDA

View Full Version : Do you look at all vehicles?

speedog
09-03-2017, 08:58 AM
So while I am out driving, whether mobile or stopped, I happen to look at other vehicles, mobile or parked, if safe to do so. It doesn't matter what type of vehicle it is, rusted old 80's Dodge pickup or fancy schmancy new Jaguar, I just enjoy looking at other vehicles to see who is driving it, what they're paying attention to, how they've modified their vehicle, etc, etc.

What I have found is it appears to me that the majority of drivers are pretty much oblivious to the vehicles around them - my wife would be a great example of this and she is probably better than most of looking at vehicles around her. Now I'm not talking about looking to the point of actually distracting yourself from your own driving duties but I find there is generally enough time to get a good look at many of the vehicles I pass by.

The reason I say people are oblivious is that I can see a really "wow" vehicle near me and most drivers will be just staring straight ahead or paying attention to their phone, Case in point, I added a hood ornament to my old GMC Sierra a little while back as a bit of a gag - the first one was magnetically attached and was a small rubbery white rooster, yupp, my wife and I had a few guffaws about my little whiter cock. But it became apparent to me that most people just were so self absorbed or in la la land that they never notice other vehicles so I went in search of a new hood ornament and found Odie (from Garfield) - he's furry and about 6 inches tall and will still stay magnetically stuck to my truck's hood up to 145kph. I haven't taken Odie faster although he does start bending back a bit at highway speeds and mostly because I have to treat my 508,000+km girl nicely.

Odie does get a few more looks, some kids point and chuckle, some people do the same and thumbs up from other people with home made hood ornaments and such. But still I can easily say that most drivers are still oblivious or in la la land - they probably wouldn't even notice a gorgeous red sports car next to them in a sea of black/white/grey/silver/tan vehicles and many of them don't. One of my kids is quite guilty of this but amazingly, my daughter sees a lot around her - she even spotted a Fiat X1/9 the same time as me earlier this summer just north of the Rona on Edmonton Trail which we had to stop and take a look at because it is such a rare vehicle to see and it is so tiny. My wife will spot really sporty cars but outside of that everything is indifferent to her.

Now I can't say it's being a car person thing because my daughter certainly isn't and my wife isn't either but I just can not understand being so aloof to vehicles around one's self in their daily travels. Even my MIL notices other vehicles but the vast majority of drivers are just in stun mode as best as I can describe it.

So what do you do and what are your observations of others around you - your passengers, other drivers? Do they look at other vehicles or not?

Sentry
09-03-2017, 09:20 AM
While driving I look at every vehicle to determine if they're a cop or not. In front, in my mirrors, on ramps, on the side of the road, nearby, in the distance. I don't have a radar detector, the best way to avoid tickets is to open your damn eyes.

But because of this habit I'm also first to notice cool cars. :D

bjstare
09-03-2017, 09:30 AM
While driving I look at every vehicle to determine if they're a cop or not. In front, in my mirrors, on ramps, on the side of the road, nearby, in the distance. I don't have a radar detector, the best way to avoid tickets is to open your damn eyes.

I do this as well. Formed this habit when I rode motorcycles and sped pretty much everywhere.

I always notice and talk about cars, and my wife not only puts up with it, but is starting to notice cars too haha.

01RedDX
09-03-2017, 09:51 AM

speedog
09-03-2017, 10:12 AM
I purposely avoid looking at certain vehicles, especially ones that have stupid little toys stuck on them.

Reason being is they are clearly attention whoring, so I don't want to give them the satisfaction and also, they could be mentally unstable.

Heh, I've been unstable for decades - this ain't new news to me! You'd be one of those people who is making darting eye movements, looking but not wanting to be seen as looking, you've noticed but don't want to seen as noticing - they're the most amusing people. So cool yet so obvious.

01RedDX
09-03-2017, 11:04 AM

tonytiger55
09-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Its interesting as when I drive I notice a lot of people don't really pay attention to minor hazards or traffic flow. I notice people don't actually maintain their distance. I guess this is a subconscious thing.
For example when I drive on a highway and I see the third car ahead brake, I either take my foot off the gas or shift down. The 1st and 2nd car in front will wait till they get right behind the 3rd vehicle and brake. Now the braking distance has been eliminated. So when the 3rd car ahead brakes again, the 1st car is usually rear ends or its the car in my position (0). Ive had multiple scenarios where I have nearly been rear ended, Ive avoided it because I have been the one maintaining a braking distance.
Im always looking three car lengths ahead and reading the road. Next time your on a highway, just observe the amount of people that will catch up to a car in front and THEN brake.

Another hazard is when driving on a highway and merging traffic from a slip road. I have noticed colleagues who are completely oblivious to another car merging onto the highway and do not adjust their gear, speed or even change lanes.

On other cars I do like to see how they are using them and why perhaps they have them? Do they drive a cheap Toyota Matrix and carry a bike/roof rack? Especially when im going hiking. What kind of person is it? I walked down China town yesterday, 99% of the vehicles were Japanese.

When I used to work at a bank, I looked at clients cars. I noticed a lot of 'proper' wealthy people had old cars. A lot of broke or financially vulnerable people had the BMW's, pimped out cars, big lifted trucks or jeeps or had big car payments on vehicles they should not be paying for. That was a interesting insight as I always wondered how people afford the stuff whilst I such a broke ass. Then I realised im not in a bad place financially after all. Whats what I find interesting is how people are managing their finances and the car. Another example being is that I work with people who have really nice SUV's and make monthly payments, but they rent a home with their family and are broke all the time. So i guess when I look at other drivers and vehicles, I do sometimes wonder what lifestyle they have compared to my peasant one.

NissanFanBoy
09-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Its interesting as when I drive I notice a lot of people don't really pay attention to minor hazards or traffic flow. I notice people don't actually maintain their distance. I guess this is a subconscious thing.
For example when I drive on a highway and I see the third car ahead brake, I either take my foot off the gas or shift down. The 1st and 2nd car in front will wait till they get right behind the 3rd vehicle and brake. Now the braking distance has been eliminated. So when the 3rd car ahead brakes again, the 1st car is usually rear ends or its the car in my position (0). Ive had multiple scenarios where I have nearly been rear ended, Ive avoided it because I have been the one maintaining a braking distance.
Im always looking three car lengths ahead and reading the road. Next time your on a highway, just observe the amount of people that will catch up to a car in front and THEN brake.

Another hazard is when driving on a highway and merging traffic from a slip road. I have noticed colleagues who are completely oblivious to another car merging onto the highway and do not adjust their gear, speed or even change lanes.

On other cars I do like to see how they are using them and why perhaps they have them? Do they drive a cheap Toyota Matrix and carry a bike/roof rack? Especially when im going hiking. What kind of person is it? I walked down China town yesterday, 99% of the vehicles were Japanese.

When I used to work at a bank, I looked at clients cars. I noticed a lot of 'proper' wealthy people had old cars. A lot of broke or financially vulnerable people had the BMW's, pimped out cars, big lifted trucks or jeeps or had big car payments on vehicles they should not be paying for. That was a interesting insight as I always wondered how people afford the stuff whilst I such a broke ass. Then I realised im not in a bad place financially after all. Whats what I find interesting is how people are managing their finances and the car. Another example being is that I work with people who have really nice SUV's and make monthly payments, but they rent a home with their family and are broke all the time. So i guess when I look at other drivers and vehicles, I do sometimes wonder what lifestyle they have compared to my peasant one.

To be fair some people live at home because they're expected to and if they're young, they just CHOOSE to spend all their $$ o n their car.

tonytiger55
09-03-2017, 12:40 PM
To be fair some people live at home because they're expected to and if they're young, they just CHOOSE to spend all their $$ o n their car.

I totally hear ya. I get that, particularity in the east Indian community. This is probably a discussion for another thread. There are huge social economic benefits to doing that. i.le Mum and dad get looked after, the whole house works as a family unit.
Then then are are downsides to that. There is the frustrated mummies boy syndrome with lack of life skills developed. Same applies to the girls with the development of daddy issues. I know of lots of these that have the nicest cars , its great but mummies boy gota do what mum says and go to the Gurwara on Sundays and attend any other Chappal (sandal) and chaa (Tea)convention.:rofl:

Tej.S
09-03-2017, 12:58 PM
I totally hear ya. I get that, particularity in the east Indian community. This is probably a discussion for another thread. There are huge social economic benefits to doing that. i.le Mum and dad get looked after, the whole house works as a family unit.
Then then are are downsides to that. There is the frustrated mummies boy syndrome with lack of life skills developed. Same applies to the girls with the development of daddy issues. I know of lots of these that have the nicest cars , its great but mummies boy gota do what mum says and go to the Gurwara on Sundays and attend any other Chappal (sandal) and chaa (Tea)convention.:rofl:

The ignorance is strong in this one, even though I can agree to some of the things said lol.

J-hop
09-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Focusing in on something is always a bad thing when you're driving. i don't think people not noticing a sports car or hood ornament necessarily means they are in la la land. To 99% of the drivers out there a car is just a tool, so they don't get distracted by unique vehicles. Just my opinion though.

speedog
09-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Focusing in on something is always a bad thing when you're driving. i don't think people not noticing a sports car or hood ornament necessarily means they are in la la land. To 99% of the drivers out there a car is just a tool, so they don't get distracted by unique vehicles. Just my opinion though.

My first sentence was "So while I am out driving, whether mobile or stopped, I happen to look at other vehicles, mobile or parked, if safe to do so." Just look at drivers around you and I'll bet most have just tunnel vision on what's right ahead of them - they don't look to the sides or even glance, or far out forward or to the rear. It's like a lot of them are just in a trance.

Gart
09-03-2017, 02:11 PM
^^^as someone already mentioned our driving awareness is conditioned here to look for photo radar (or quickly learn to). The near-constant camera flash from these trucks is indication of people's attention while driving of everyone else that hasn't learned yet (with exception to some of the sneaky ones mentioned already in other threads - but if you're lucky you can spot people up ahead that already know about it and begin to brake.. which I guess is the point of this thread)

When I lived in the NW I used to count all the people during the commute for work in the morning that would look at their cell phone at the crowchild & 24th ave stop. (hint, it's all of them. all the time. every work day)

slightly off-topic: If I'm the passenger on a highway trip, I like seeing how many people look over if we're passing them (or if they're passing us).
... The driver being passed has a terrified expression way too often.

speedog
09-03-2017, 02:52 PM
^^^as someone already mentioned our driving awareness is conditioned here to look for photo radar (or quickly learn to). The near-constant camera flash from these trucks is indication of people's attention while driving of everyone else that hasn't learned yet (with exception to some of the sneaky ones mentioned already in other threads - but if you're lucky you can spot people up ahead that already know about it and begin to brake.. which I guess is the point of this thread)

When I lived in the NW I used to count all the people during the commute for work in the morning that would look at their cell phone at the crowchild & 24th ave stop. (hint, it's all of them. all the time. every work day)

slightly off-topic: If I'm the passenger on a highway trip, I like seeing how many people look over if we're passing them (or if they're passing us).
... The driver being passed has a terrified expression way too often.

My intent for this thread had nothing to do with looking out for police car or photo radar traps but it appears the thread has already moved in that direction. Oh well.

max_boost
09-03-2017, 04:10 PM
If it's something cool, sure. Otherwise I don't really care. I mean I pay attention to see how they are driving more than what vehicle it is.

Xtrema
09-03-2017, 05:00 PM

I do this as well. Seems like Ford Explorer, F150 and Taurus get my attention the most. Thank god that nobody buys Taurus any more, so it's pretty good as the new Crown Vic.

Sentry
09-03-2017, 05:11 PM
My intent for this thread had nothing to do with looking out for police car or photo radar traps but it appears the thread has already moved in that direction. Oh well.
Well my point isn't so much that I'm always looking for cops but that I'm always looking. Seems most people are fixated on the bumper of the car in front of them and that's it.

The easiest way to improve a shit driver is to get them to use their eyeballs (and brain) more effectively.

Ben
09-03-2017, 05:39 PM
I too started analyzing cars around me from the original abcars and beyond cruise days always scoping for cops. Became pretty damn good at spotting them.

I think this is a great thread because it's very true, 95% of people on the road are either staring at their phone, or the bumper of the car in front of them, completely zoned out and oblivious to things around them. I pulled up next to a friends wife at a stop light, honked and honked and waved, and she didnt even notice. Just a 1000 yard stare into the bumper in front of them.

Another time A lifted Dodge Diesel had a fire in his truck bed due to a leaking slip tank. God damn flames were coming 10 feet off the back and smoking like a bastard. Cruising down the QEII. Even with lights and sirens on beside his truck he just motored on with the typical Left hand on the top of the steering wheel flexing his sleeve tats, texting on his phone as if we cant tell because his trucks so high, oblivious to the noise and hadn't once looked in his mirrors where he would have seen this. Had to pull in front of him to get his attention. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have to be extremely hyper vigilant in my line of work, to the point of its hard to shut off for the first day or two off and even then it's still way above where it should be to properly relax, so I'm constantly scanning mirrors, whats going on ahead, oncoming traffic, what people are doing in the immediate vehicles around me. And other than the few times I've been able to skirt out from being rear ended by the guy behind me not paying attention or not entering an intersection when the light turns green because I saw a guy obviously not stopping for his now red light that ended up hitting the guy who took off from the light the moment it turned green the only things I have really noticed are this and this isnt because of work:

People pick their noses. A LOT.

People pick their teeth. A LOT.

There are A LOT of really shitty kids out there out of fucking control in the backs of vehicles.

Some folks need to seriously wash their wheels a lot more, brake dust on some peoples rims are insane.

Some folks need to just wash their cars period.

I am uncomfortable with the large amount of people that drive with headphones in. Not just buds but full on noise cancelling Beats and Bose. If I have to explain why this is insane then you might as well just end yourself.

I cant believe how many cultures have the woman (Wife?) riding in the back seat alone and an empty front passenger seat.

People have way too much shit on their dash and rear deck of cars that become projectiles in collisions. Snow brushes are wicked awesome at maiming your face and neck when they go from 100 to zero.

Some folks look EXTREMELY stressed out while driving.

There are a LOT of people that sit WAYYYY too close to the steering wheel. When you are driving with your hands and elbows on the steering wheel, you're way too close.

Maybe we're a rare anomaly but I have been driving for a long time comparatively, and I still pay great attention to whats going on around me simply because I DONT TRUST THE OTHER DRIVERS ON THE ROAD lol.

Seth1968
09-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Your intent for this thread is just like most others of your threads/ posts. That is, "I'm an old fart so please forgive me".

So, STFU with your crying. Your whole persona is just "make sure you vote!!!!".

Except, you walked away when I and other members questioned you on how archaic such a notion is.

speedog
09-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Your intent for this thread is just like most others of your threads/ posts. That is, "I'm an old fart so please forgive me".

So, STFU with your crying. Your whole persona is just "make sure you vote!!!!".

Except, you walked away when I and other members questioned you on how archaic such a notion is.

Yeah, okay. Not really sure how you came to your way out there conclusions but you go with that if it makes you feel good.

And voting, well we probably wouldn't behave a certain party in a majority position in Alberta if more people just hadn't been a bit less apathetic.

Back on topic, I kind of like Ben's post. Actually I really like it, not being clued out is probably a good thing when driving one's vehicle and noticing other vehicles is probably a good thing. An aware driver will spot that impaired driver and call the police, clued out drivers just won't. But Ben is not really doing what he says he does because of his profession which you are quite negative about.

SKR
09-03-2017, 06:50 PM
I always look. Not for cops or anything like people have been saying, just to see what other people drive. There's a lot of neat stuff out there in among all the boring cars.

speedog
09-03-2017, 07:25 PM
I always look. Not for cops or anything like people have been saying, just to see what other people drive. There's a lot of neat stuff out there in among all the boring cars.

Bingo. I spotted an ancient Mercedes on Edmonton Trail today as well as a late 50's International Harvester Travelall near Brentwood Mall.

Sugarphreak
09-03-2017, 10:14 PM

speedog
09-04-2017, 08:23 AM
You are my hero. Really, you are.

ExtraSlow
09-04-2017, 08:29 AM
I notice every Ford truck. The differences between the hundreds of Hyundai, KIA, and gmc branded small Korean cars is uninterested to me.

I do point out douchebag lifted diesel dodges to my wife letting her know the guy is probably single and dtf if she's looking for something on the side.

botox
09-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Ditto. I look all the time for cool stuff and know when a ride deserves respect. Shit boxes I can care less cause these are usually the guys who drive like asshats. I also pay attention to how others are driving And will Look at their rear and side mirrors to see what they are doing and Will look at crosswalk signals to slow down or speed up to make lights.

J-hop
09-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Man some of the responses in this thread have dunning-Kruger effect written all over them.

It's one thing to be comfortable behind the wheel, it's another to believe you have superior skills such as observation especially if you do not drive 8 hrs a day for work or compete.

The last time I did a driving course for work I was the only person in our vehicle when asked if I was an above average driver to say no. I was also the only person in our vehicle that could complete the slalom course at the expected speed without hitting a cone. Does it mean I'm above average? Absolutely not. But potentially I was more aware of my shortcomings.

Mitsu3000gt
09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
I am looking everywhere constantly but only for police and photo radar, that's all I care about seeing on the road really. They have gotten so bold and unsafe with their positioning you need to stay alert and be scanning for them at all times.

I also purposely don't look at cars that are clearly attention whoring, as someone else mentioned earlier. Sometimes you pull up beside someone and you just know all they want is for people to oogle their car.

What's funny is that I drive a very standard economy car and I have got more looks, waves, and attention than I ever have before. About once a week someone pulls up beside me and motions to roll down the window and asks me what kind of car is it and how much did it cost lol (they can't read apparently).

Swank
09-05-2017, 10:12 AM
I like finding someone who is singing along to a song in their car, like just givn'r, then I try to stare until they see me and get embarrassed - I'm very mature that way, I know :rofl:

I hate the feeling after you zoned out while driving and don't remember half of the drive, happens to me every few years, I really try to avoid it but complacency always finds a way of letting it sneak back in.

Kloubek
09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
I always look at other vehicles. But then, like most of us on here I am an enthusiast. One game I especially like to play (don't ask my why) is if I can figure out what vehicle is behind me at night based solely on the headlight design. Try it.

I think MOST people feel a car is an A to B proposition, and aren't interested to see what others are driving. Plus in a place like Calgary when times are good, money flows and cars like BMWs are a dime a dozen. With that in mind, kind of makes it a silly idea to spend so much on customizing and improving the exterior appearance of your vehicle when nobody else cares. But then - I've never done my customizing for others... it's always to make the vehicle what *I* want. But not everyone has that attitude.....

Mitsu3000gt
09-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Speaking of games, the one I like to play is guess the driver. When I see someone driving a certain way or in a certain type of vehicle, I try and guess the demographic of the driver. I'm probably correct 75% of the time (old person, soccer mom, etc.) but sometimes there are big surprises haha.

bjstare
09-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Speaking of games, the one I like to play is guess the driver. When I see someone driving a certain way or in a certain type of vehicle, I try and guess the demographic of the driver. I'm probably correct 75% of the time (old person, soccer mom, etc.) but sometimes there are big surprises haha.

My wife and I do this, never fails to entertain. Fun to be right, also fun to be surprised.

infamous
09-07-2017, 08:45 AM
a game that I have learned to play while driving is "try to guess what the stupidest thing the driver in front of me can do?" it sucks when your right and watch them do a 4 lane change in front of you, but it makes it easier to deal with.

flipstah
09-07-2017, 08:50 AM
I have to look at all vehicles, especially in the Mini. I have to make sure I don't ride people's blind spots or else I'll get clipped.

SUV's can't spot me in the Mini, let alone lifted trucks that are all over Calgary.

You become a very defensive driver when you go side-by-side a lifted truck, can read what kind of shocks he has, while sitting in a running vehicle.

I also find cool cars this way, or a rare wagon.

01RedDX
09-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Mitsu3000gt
09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
https://i.imgur.com/mEIneMG.jpg

Haha pretty much this. It's basically a game of stereotypes, which are accurate most of the time.

J-hop
09-07-2017, 01:54 PM
I have to look at all vehicles, especially in the Mini. I have to make sure I don't ride people's blind spots or else I'll get clipped.

SUV's can't spot me in the Mini, let alone lifted trucks that are all over Calgary.

You become a very defensive driver when you go side-by-side a lifted truck, can read what kind of shocks he has, while sitting in a running vehicle.

I also find cool cars this way, or a rare wagon.

Funny that you understand that in a car that is WAY safer in a collision than a motor cycle. Yet I watch a local celebrity biker's YouTube channel and in almost every vid at some point he's ripping passed a lane of traffic that's at a dead stop and then seems completely shocked when a car doesn't see him and pulls out. Some people just don't get it I guess

Sugarphreak
09-07-2017, 10:46 PM

J-hop
09-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Why is it so hard to believe that some people have superior observation skills? It isn't all that difficult to cultivate... basically good vision + good habits + being actively aware.

Personally the last time I had my eyesight checked I had a perfect 20/15 score and can get about 70% of the 20/13 letters. Sure it isn't 20/10, but it is better than average. I also have good driving habits like shoulder checking and not letting myself be distracted by anything. In terms of awareness, I am always looking at cars to see what they are, but I am also noting subtle aggressive behavior. If something unexpected happens on the road, there is a good chance I've been keeping an eye on the driver that caused it for a while in anticipation.

On a forum of car guys, I kind of expect that most people are going to be well above average in terms of observation on the road

I bet I could beat you through a slalom ;)

You most certainly could beat me through a slalom, I'm a shit driver.

Self analysis is the single most biased analysis of ones skills. All I'm saying is don't get too confident in your abilities, especially if you only drive a half hour or so per day with most of that in stop and go traffic, you simply don't have the wheel time to build up any real skill.

I wouldn't say a car forum is full of good drivers necessarily. I spent my fair share of Saturday nights at BS back in the day and that was chock full of bad drivers in nice cars haha

Sugarphreak
09-07-2017, 11:27 PM

speedog
09-08-2017, 07:28 AM
This morning - 73-75 Pontiac Grand Am, certainly a rare beast now. No rust, not butchered, just nicely done.

ianmcc
09-08-2017, 07:52 AM
I am always scanning the mirrors and surrounding vehicles checking out the cars around me.
Police unmarked were usually easy to spot (no DRL) but I see some running headlights in the daytime (marked and unmarked). No HIDs in cop cars either.
Been given the thumbs up at times in the V6Mistake and driving the wife's Wrangler I get the wave from other Jeep owners about 50% of the time.
And no matter how cool your car is I will never acknowledge it as I am far too cool to think you could be as cool or cooler than me.

Mitsu3000gt
09-08-2017, 09:52 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread or not for my question but something has always baffled me and maybe there is a reasonable explanation I am missing.

I see some people driving cars that are so unbelievably shitty, that someone would probably give them a better one for free, or $500 could buy them one that is 2 decades newer. Anything donated to the Kidney Foundation would be a huge upgrade. What they pay on burnt oil, horrible fuel economy, and repairs surely is much higher than what it would cost them to get a much newer, safer, more reliable car. For example, I will see a 1984 Ford Tempo limping down the road, bellowing blue smoke on 4 bald tires, rusted through the frame, and bottomed out suspension - you could buy a 2005 Grand Am or something for $400. Or even worse, something like a 70's Oldsmobile as big as a boat that is so run down and rusted out I have no clue how it's even being held together. Even worse yet, they are using them to haul around their kids and families. How are these people not spending what they must on burnt oil or repairs for a car that is 20-30 years safer and more reliable and still costs almost nothing?

jltabot
09-08-2017, 10:13 AM
How are these people not spending what they must on burnt oil or repairs for a car that is 20-30 years safer and more reliable and still costs almost nothing?

People that drive those shitboxes literally "drive 'er till she dies." Forget any maintenance or repairs haha.

Sugarphreak
09-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Mitsu3000gt
09-08-2017, 11:46 AM
There has to be some level of maintenance though. I'm talking cars that are so shitty that there is no possible way they are running 30-40 years later with zero-cost maintenance. For sure they do the bare minimum, but it can't be zero on some of the cars I have seen. Even the simple fact that they burn as much oil as they do means the owners are always having to buy extra oil which costs money. As soon as you do any paid maintenance, you are better off buying a better car because anywhere from Free to $500 would buy an exponentially better and safer sample.

Even in your example that $280 could have bought you a better car than some of the ones I have seen, so why would they elect to repair over getting a 20-30 year newer car that they are using to carry their families in? Maybe they are somehow doing less maintenance than I realize, but it has to be costing them money elsewhere.

infamous
09-08-2017, 11:51 AM
There has to be some level of maintenance though. I'm talking cars that are so shitty that there is no possible way they are running 30-40 years later with zero-cost maintenance. For sure they do the bare minimum, but it can't be zero on some of the cars I have seen. Even the simple fact that they burn as much oil as they do means the owners are always having to buy extra oil which costs money. As soon as you do any paid maintenance, you are better off buying a better car because anywhere from Free to $500 would buy an exponentially better and safer sample.

Even in your example that $280 could have bought you a better car than some of the ones I have seen, so why would they elect to repair over getting a 20-30 year newer car that they are using to carry their families in? Maybe they are somehow doing less maintenance than I realize, but it has to be costing them money elsewhere.

lol to an extent I would fall into that category at one point or another in my life, and it's as simple as this.....the headache of buying an unknown $500 beater means it's going to have issues as well. So sell my piece of shit to buy another piece of shit that may be less reliable than my car that's already registered and insured and I just get in and turn the key and drive it. Is it the ideal situation? No. but it kept me getting to and from work until I was able to buy something that didn't have the "james bond smokescreen (not by choice)" option..... :rofl:

Sugarphreak
09-08-2017, 11:54 AM

never
09-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Have you tried to search for a $500 car? You're not getting much.

speedog
09-08-2017, 12:09 PM
My current work truck would be one of those beaters being referred to and while she's not pretty, she is structurally sound and uses virtually no oil which is amazing for a 508,000 km 1999 GMC truck with the original 5.3 liter V8. No oil smoke at all out of the old girl - in the last 2 years I've done the brakes and replaced a water pump. She's got a sticky thermostat so I have to fix that before it gets cold. Easy to work on (which I don't mind doing) and isn't costing me a lot of money. Ho estly I just don't see the need to get something newer - yeah, some of you beyond members would turn your nose up a such a beast but no monthly payment works for me. Oh, finally replaced the windshield - 47 chips, multiple cracks and pits galore, pretty weird looking through pristine glass.

Mitsu3000gt
09-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Have you tried to search for a $500 car? You're not getting much.

Yup. Definitely some cars exponentially better than what I have seen on the road. Furthermore, I suspect most sub-$500 cars get donated or given away.

My current work truck would be one of those beaters being referred to and while she's not pretty, she is structurally sound and uses virtually no oil which is amazing for a 508,000 km 1999 GMC truck with the original 5.3 liter V8. No oil smoke at all out of the old girl - in the last 2 years I've done the brakes and replaced a water pump. She's got a sticky thermostat so I have to fix that before it gets cold. Easy to work on (which I don't mind doing) and isn't costing me a lot of money. Ho estly I just don't see the need to get something newer - yeah, some of you beyond members would turn your nose up a such a beast but no monthly payment works for me. Oh, finally replaced the windshield - 47 chips, multiple cracks and pits galore, pretty weird looking through pristine glass.

Based on that description your truck is much better than the category I am trying to describe :) The ones I am talking about should literally be illegal to drive, and anyone even without car knowledge could look at them and identify them as extremely unsafe and completely unfit for the road. I think the best explanation is that they get them for free, and either don't know or can't be bothered to look for something better.

J-hop
09-08-2017, 02:20 PM
I think when you're living paycheque to paycheque it's hard to see the forest through the trees. The added monthly cost of gas and oil for a wreck seems a lot less than a 1 time payout for a better vehicle that in 5 years time will save you money.

Tik-Tok
09-08-2017, 02:48 PM
I think when you're living paycheque to paycheque it's hard to see the forest through the trees. The added monthly cost of gas and oil for a wreck seems a lot less than a 1 time payout for a better vehicle that in 5 years time will save you money.

Also, "The devil you know".

Sure $500 might buy a better safer vehicle, but $500 might also buy you a ride that will have a complete engine failure in 2 days.