PDA

View Full Version : Custom plates: What if I already have an unregistered one?

2m0a0x2
03-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Alright, so my dad had a two old custom plates that he used (one for front and one for back), but then he decided to give it up. He kept one of the plates, and gave the other one back to the registry place. Assuming that no one has re-registered the same plate again, do I have to pay the extra XXX dollars that people have to pay for a whole new custom plate for me to use it?

davidI
03-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Just call a registry and ask!

SI-vic
03-23-2004, 08:22 PM
id like to know as well
how much do custom plates cost anyways?

Gonthro
03-23-2004, 09:04 PM
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/services/mv/other.cfm#PersonalizedPlates

and pricing is..

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/information/registries/fees/Product_Catalogue.pdf
page 10

2m0a0x2
03-23-2004, 09:21 PM
hmmm..would this be considered as transfer plates and registration?

for 13 bucks and a max of 7 for service fee :hitit:

maybe......what do you guys think? the plate is unregistered though so it's not really transferring plates or registration.

buh_buh
03-23-2004, 09:25 PM
no, registration for one year is like $70.

2m0a0x2
03-23-2004, 09:29 PM
oh right.

GT2NV
03-23-2004, 11:52 PM
i wanted to get my plate GT2NV but it was gonna cost 230$ for the plate, or any custom plate:(

Zero102
03-24-2004, 01:25 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe plates belong to a person.
And from what I heard, you can't transfer a plate to another person.
Although perhaps the laws are different for vanity plates?
If so, then you would just have to pay to re-register (normal registration fee) and the transfer fee.

girlRACER
03-24-2004, 01:47 AM
I don't understand when you said your dad gave the plate back? :dunno: As far as I understand he owns the custom plate. As long as he still has the orange registration papers with the custom plate on it, then that is proof that he owns it. Perhaps you could bring that to the registry? I'm sure you don't have to pay for the custom plate fees again.

I recently changed the registration from one custom plate to another and it didn't cost a thing.

2m0a0x2
03-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I don't understand when you said your dad gave the plate back? :dunno: As far as I understand he owns the custom plate. As long as he still has the orange registration papers with the custom plate on it, then that is proof that he owns it. Perhaps you could bring that to the registry? I'm sure you don't have to pay for the custom plate fees again.

I recently changed the registration from one custom plate to another and it didn't cost a thing.

He had two of the custom plates, one for the front, one for the back. He gave the one for the back, back to the registry place and he still has one more. That's what I mean.

well, the plate is unregistered, he hasn't used it for 6 years. Would that still be considered his?

girlRACER
03-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 2m0a0x2

well, the plate is unregistered, he hasn't used it for 6 years. Would that still be considered his?

Yes, when you purchase the plate (unless you sell it to someone else) and can prove that it was previously registered to his name, then it is still considered his.

rage2
03-24-2004, 10:51 AM
The registry has info on ownership. You can transfer the plate ONCE only, to an immediate family member. I dunno why he returned the plate, that was kinda silly. Ownership of custom plates is for life, u can't just turn it in and have it registerable by another person.

If he's never transferred it to anyone in the family, he can transfer it to you. At that point, it's yours for good, no more transfers.

2m0a0x2
03-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by rage2
The registry has info on ownership. You can transfer the plate ONCE only, to an immediate family member. I dunno why he returned the plate, that was kinda silly. Ownership of custom plates is for life, u can't just turn it in and have it registerable by another person.

If he's never transferred it to anyone in the family, he can transfer it to you. At that point, it's yours for good, no more transfers.

okay, thanks for all your help guys.

He only returned one of the plates and kept the other one so it's all good. I think he thought it's property of the Alberta gov't so he gave it back:rolleyes:

anyhoo thanks guys.

bart
02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2

i called the government today regarding the transfers:

you may transfer as many times as you want between immediate family members, each time you pay $20.49. the lady at the government in edmonton said registries dont like doing it because of the paperwork, so the one time thing is bogus. she even looked it up and in the "rulebook" and in there it does not say ONCE anywhere. if the registry gives anyone a hard time, she said to call the place where they issue the plates in edmonton. :thumbsup:

2m0a0x2
02-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey, thanks man, but I think my case is a little bit different. The plate isn't even registered to my dad anymore, I think he gave it up when he returned ONE of his plates and kept the other one.

buh_buh
02-24-2005, 06:51 PM
holy old thread.
Anyway if the vanity plate hasnt been registered in 5 years, its open to public I believe.