PDA

View Full Version : Re-pitching a roof on bungalow

grampafunk
09-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Anyone ever have experience with re-pitching a roof? We are looking at purchasing a bungalow with what I would say was a pretty flat roof with what I am guessing has some load-bearing walls inside which we would like removed.

Would like to gut and re-build - but assume that we would have to address the roof issue first.

Anyone have any experience? Costly? Worth it? Or should we just find a more suitable house?

Problem is lot and location are spectacular...

ExtraSlow
09-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Tear down may be best option if you have to do that much structural work. Can get better ceiling heights and room layouts too.

mr2mike
09-07-2017, 08:31 AM
People always seem to think gutting and rebuilding is cheaper and easier... There's a reason why you don't see this happen much.

If tar and gravel, you oould re-pitch the roof on top of it, after removing gravel. Still probably not worth it if just wanting to convert to shingles, I see no reason as there's tonnes of new membranes and materials out there for tar and gravel.

s_havinga
09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
If you are gutting the house anyway, just pull the roof off and order new trusses. Zytech or any of the other guys will design them for you based off of your spans and then you can clear span the entire house- eliminating the need for bearing walls on the main floor.

It would probably be cheaper to just flush mount a beam to make up for the bearing wall as long as your spans arn't crazy but if you want to get ride of the flat roof I would remove it and replace instead of framing over it.

Really depends on the scope of the reno but based on my exerience, I would argue that 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper to gut and reno then demo and rebuild. I have done both.

90_Shelby
09-07-2017, 09:17 AM
A house down the street did this recently. Tore the roof off, new trusses at a different pitch and I believe the ceiling was then vaulted. No idea what it cost but it didn't seem to take long.

grampafunk
09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
I should mention. There is a slight pitch to the roof. Just not very substantive.

Sugarphreak
09-07-2017, 10:20 AM