PDA

View Full Version : Costco Tire Dept: called few times but no answer...open hours?

Seks
09-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Have tires on my car that were bought from Costco. One has a leak...would lose 5 psi/day. Don't see anything on sidewalls.

Called Costco Tire Dept a few times but no answer (probably cuz they are busy). When do they open so that I can go there first thing and get first dibs for them to look at the leak? The last time I went, they were opened at 6 am...then again, that was during tire changing season.

speedog
09-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Have tires on my car that were bought from Costco. One has a leak...would lose 5 psi/day. Don't see anything on sidewalls.

Called Costco Tire Dept a few times but no answer (probably cuz they are busy). When do they open so that I can go there first thing and get first dibs for them to look at the leak? The last time I went, they were opened at 6 am...then again, that was during tire changing season.

Should've bought from tirebob.

redblack
09-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Costco is extremely hard to get ahold of, you need to show up in person to make an appointment.

You should've bought from tirebob

dj_rice
09-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Everytime I've walked by the Tire Dept, they have 1 maybe 2 people working the front counter and theres always customers lined up as well so answering the phones isn't priority if they are busy.

You should've bought from tirebob

Doozer
09-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Did it have the leak from Day 1? I could see that as being a warranty issue potentially, but once it's been driven I don't see how you'd prove it. Just take it to any other tire shop and get it fixed. The $30 repair or whatever isn't worth the hassle of continually trying to get into the tire department at Costco.

And next time, buy from Tirebob.

Seks
09-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Went to Costco at opening. 45 min later got a call from tire dept while I was still in the store. Multi punctures on the tire (RR), not being able to repair. 100% warranty free replacement so $0. But should change other tire (LR). Cost of replacement tire on the LR would be based on how much thread is left (About 35%) or kms on it (103k) so $93. Since car is AWD, recommend to change all four. Agreed to it since I was gonna change them all in spring. $150/each for the LF and RF. And these are diff model tires (Michelin X Tour A/S). Costco doesn't carry Defender XT anymore.

Unexpected spending today :\

ON a side note, I'm taking my car in for service this Fri. I know my alignment is a wee bit off. Should I get it done? Or should I wait until I've driven a few 1000s km on the new tires?

tonytiger55
09-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Do your alignment. You might get uneven wear on your new tires.

Next time buy from Tirebob.

Tik-Tok
09-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Did it have the leak from Day 1? I could see that as being a warranty issue potentially, but once it's been driven I don't see how you'd prove it. Just take it to any other tire shop and get it fixed. The $30 repair or whatever isn't worth the hassle of continually trying to get into the tire department at Costco.

And next time, buy from Tirebob.

Doesn't matter. Costco will fix any flat for free (well, "free" as in it's part of the price of the initial purchase).

If he bought from Tirebob though, he would do the same, and already have it done.

EF9 Sedan
09-11-2017, 06:09 PM
In the past I bought my tires from UrbanX. I agree they provide excellent service, but I don't think they price match Costco do they?

Price is the main reason everyone buys from Costco isn't it?

speedog
09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
In the past I bought my tires from UrbanX. I agree they provide excellent service, but I don't think they price match Costco do they?

Price is the main reason everyone buys from Costco isn't it?

Actually can't stand Costco, haven't had a membership in over 15 years.

SKR
09-11-2017, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't buy tires from a grocery store, but that's just me.

redblack
09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Costco may be cheaper but the time you waste trying to get an appointment for installation and the time it takes for any type of repair negates any savings imo.

ThePenIsMightier
10-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Bump.
I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon but now work is looking like a gong show, so I'd like to drop it off in the morning, but before the main warehouse opens. I can't miss work.
Does anyone recall how early the Tire Shop is actually open? Years ago I got told to show up at either 06:00 or 07:00 to snag one of the elusive "walk-in" spots and I'd like to just drop my car off then.

Yes, their service is a pain because they're cheap, so they're eternally booked and don't answer the phone and should've TireBob, etc.

ThePenIsMightier
10-22-2019, 08:10 PM
I guess I'll update since no one was able to help.
The store I was at does not "open early" for people to snag the 3-5 walk-in spots or drop keys, and, the people that show up are the dumbest collection of fucks I've seen since the last time I was in Halifax... (And the number of people I've come across in Halifax who are "Sean Connery on Celebrity Jeopardy" level of stupid is 6x higher than anywhere else I've traveled). So, it was quite a scene.

Finally, you get to hand your keys in and fuck off but because it's the busier season, they don't call you when it's done and they do NOT answer their phone, evaarrrr. It looks like they're using a weird wax instead of the ol camel jizz for rim slip and it looks like shit on both the wheels and tires.

So it's cheap as fuck and I don't think I'm all the way to "never again" but it was a needlessly convoluted experience to save some money.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Only half related, but I tried to make an appointment at urbanX today, but no answer and can't leave a message. I'm not in a rush, so I'll call tomorrow.

killramos
10-22-2019, 09:57 PM
Only half related, but I tried to make an appointment at urbanX today, but no answer and can't leave a message. I'm not in a rush, so I'll call tomorrow.

PM bob works best

Tik-Tok
10-23-2019, 06:32 AM
I always just drop in to make an App. at Urban.

mikestypes
10-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Costco has this fancy new thing called the internet where you can order your tires and have them sent to the center of your choice. Once they get there, a costco employee phones you to make an appointment. Drop your car off at the appointment time, go for a shop, and drive your car home with new tires. It was painless when I did it this summer and significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

sabad66
10-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Costco has this fancy new thing called the internet where you can order your tires and have them sent to the center of your choice. Once they get there, a costco employee phones you to make an appointment. Drop your car off at the appointment time, go for a shop, and drive your car home with new tires. It was painless when I did it this summer and significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

so much this. ordered two sets this year and both times were completely painless and saved at least $200 on each set.

to be fair though, don't have experience with them during busy season as both sets were purchased in spring/summer. i assume lead time for appts and getting a hold of someone on the phone is tougher these days.

But if you know exactly what you want, know how to use the internet, and want to save money, costco online is the best choice.

gmc72
10-23-2019, 08:33 AM

I did this for my winters last year. Easy as pie. Bought my summers elsewhere because they said they wouldn't deviate from the OE sizing. Has the place where I bought my summers do my winter changeovers this year and got in before the rush!!

ThePenIsMightier
10-23-2019, 08:54 AM

Correct, just let me fill in some blanks for the current experience.
Order tires September 17 online and tires arrive at store October 2 because I'm guessing they hired four small children to roll them here from Toronto. They did NOT call me to book - you have to book yourself either online by creating a new profile that's for some reason completely unattached to your existing Costco online profile, or, call them to book. Note that they don't answer their phone, so the other option is actually to go to the store. Earliest available appointment is Tuesday, October 22 at 14:00.
I still have traditional employment so the best option for me is to drop that car off nice & early that morning and still make it to work on time. I try to call to find out if early drop off is an option or even if I could leave it there the night before. Although they have a phone, they literally will not answer it. I tried about 8 times throughout the day. I necromancer this thread on a car forum to see if anyone knows the deal, but I was too late to get help from that either.
I get stuck leaving it there as early as possible which was 09:00 which turns into 09:35 by the time they sift through the mental giants that have been standing outside their door 90 minutes before I got there. Now I'm late as fuck for work.
If I missed yesterday's appointment, I would've had to wait until November 28 for the next available booking. This still isn't anywhere near as busy as they will get because it's still above 0° and there is no snow on the ground. I believe the day I ordered the tires it was 17° outside so I'm not hugely disorganized but that two week shipping bullshit is what fucked me. It took 5 weeks from the time I clicked [Confirm Order] until my tires were on. I think that's pretty poor for someone ordering massively common winter tires in a normal size in mid September.

I'm sure your summer experience was better but don't be fooled into thinking it's like that all the time.