PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a DH bike

triplep
09-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Don't know if much of the beyond community does any DH biking, but I've picked it up more steadily this year, so I am looking at purchasing a DH bike, so I can stop renting.

I've been out of the DH/ Freeride scene for a number of years, so just wondering what I should be looking out for when it comes to new tech etc. (26" wheels etc. versus 27.5" etc) I know the last time I was doing anything like this, it was popular to have a 26" front and 24" back.... so just shows how long ago that was.

I am planning on purchasing used, and currently looking at a 2014 Kona Park Operator (former rental bikes) looks like they will be priced around the $1,000 range, so basically, my budget puts me in the used bike range. Also, I've noticed a lot of the newer bikes are carbon fronts and the rear triangle is still alloy. Just wondering if there is any benefit to look for a set up like this or just keep it all alloy like the Operator that I am looking for. My gut tells me that if I want something I can just toss around and not worry about to much, to stick to alloy.

Just wondering what everyone's input on this is and maybe what to look for and see if I should keep looking or just stick to the Operator.

Thanks in advance!

Mitsu3000gt
09-11-2017, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't touch a rental bike with a 10 foot pole, especially a DH rental. Those bikes get beat like you wouldn't believe. I would find a used bike from a regular owner - tons of people buy expensive bikes and hardly use them.

never
09-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Don't know if much of the beyond community does any DH biking, but I've picked it up more steadily this year, so I am looking at purchasing a DH bike, so I can stop renting.

I've been out of the DH/ Freeride scene for a number of years, so just wondering what I should be looking out for when it comes to new tech etc. (26" wheels etc. versus 27.5" etc) I know the last time I was doing anything like this, it was popular to have a 26" front and 24" back.... so just shows how long ago that was.

I am planning on purchasing used, and currently looking at a 2014 Kona Park Operator (former rental bikes) looks like they will be priced around the $1,000 range, so basically, my budget puts me in the used bike range. Also, I've noticed a lot of the newer bikes are carbon fronts and the rear triangle is still alloy. Just wondering if there is any benefit to look for a set up like this or just keep it all alloy like the Operator that I am looking for. My gut tells me that if I want something I can just toss around and not worry about to much, to stick to alloy.

Just wondering what everyone's input on this is and maybe what to look for and see if I should keep looking or just stick to the Operator.

Thanks in advance!

$1,000 is stupid cheap for a decent used DH bike. If you think you're going to get back into it more, spend more money (at least get something with good suspension). Rental bikes usually have basic stuff and DH is so much more enjoyable with quality suspension. If you do get something cheaper, you can get your suspension tuned. I always sent my stuff, even when it was new, to SuspensionWerx in North Van to get things tuned to my characteristics/riding style. But then you're putting more money into a cheap bike.

Search on Pinkbike ...you'll find some good DH bikes from people that are getting out or tried DH and didn't end up using the bikes much.

dimi
09-11-2017, 12:26 PM
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Carbon/27.5"/new geometry is going to be a lot more than what you budget seems to be. Something like the Kona seems like the perfect bike if we're talking $1,000.

My input is consider an enduro bike. I ride a long travel carbon 29er and it kept up to most of anything at Whistler, while also having the ability to climb and pass off as a decent XC bike. For me it's the perfect compromise, do it all, one quiver bike.

triplep
09-11-2017, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't touch a rental bike with a 10 foot pole, especially a DH rental. Those bikes get beat like you wouldn't believe. I would find a used bike from a regular owner - tons of people buy expensive bikes and hardly use them.

I would agree with you there, but with the price range, it is hard to find anything decent in that price range, even though it is a rental, I am sure the bikes get maintained etc.

$1,000 is stupid cheap for a decent used DH bike. If you think you're going to get back into it more, spend more money (at least get something with good suspension). Rental bikes usually have basic stuff and DH is so much more enjoyable with quality suspension. If you do get something cheaper, you can get your suspension tuned. I always sent my stuff, even when it was new, to SuspensionWerx in North Van to get things tuned to my characteristics/riding style. But then you're putting more money into a cheap bike.

Search on Pinkbike ...you'll find some good DH bikes from people that are getting out or tried DH and didn't end up using the bikes much.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on Pinkbike to see what is out there.... the problem is I don't really know what I am looking for, what is outdated or even price points for what people are asking since I haven't been in the scene for a while.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. Carbon/27.5"/new geometry is going to be a lot more than what you budget seems to be. Something like the Kona seems like the perfect bike if we're talking $1,000.

My input is consider an enduro bike. I ride a long travel carbon 29er and it kept up to most of anything at Whistler, while also having the ability to climb and pass off as a decent XC bike. For me it's the perfect compromise, do it all, one quiver bike.

I don't know if a carbon frame would be something I would want to buy used. I think definately I am looking at a used bike in my price range. Can't justify spending to much more if I am only going out 5-10 times a year etc. This is just more so to save money on the rentals as that is what I am doing at the moment.

Fair enough on the Enduro, but I currently have a SC Tallboy which is fine. It is fine for the riding at Fernie/ Panorama, but would rather not beat it up to much. Hence the reason to buy a cheaper DH bike, so it is something I don't have to worry about bashing around.

never
09-11-2017, 02:05 PM
I would agree with you there, but with the price range, it is hard to find anything decent in that price range, even though it is a rental, I am sure the bikes get maintained etc.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on Pinkbike to see what is out there.... the problem is I don't really know what I am looking for, what is outdated or even price points for what people are asking since I haven't been in the scene for a while.

I don't know if a carbon frame would be something I would want to buy used. I think definately I am looking at a used bike in my price range. Can't justify spending to much more if I am only going out 5-10 times a year etc. This is just more so to save money on the rentals as that is what I am doing at the moment.

Fair enough on the Enduro, but I currently have a SC Tallboy which is fine. It is fine for the riding at Fernie/ Panorama, but would rather not beat it up to much. Hence the reason to buy a cheaper DH bike, so it is something I don't have to worry about bashing around.

Actually, if you're only going out 5-10 times a year, the cheap Kona will probably be fine to start. If you start progressing faster, ride more than expected and want to upgrade, you'll probably be able to flip it and not lose much. Or just upgrade components as your skills improve.

klumsy_tumbler
09-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Actually, if you're only going out 5-10 times a year, the cheap Kona will probably be fine to start. If you start progressing faster, ride more than expected and want to upgrade, you'll probably be able to flip it and not lose much. Or just upgrade components as your skills improve.

^THIS.

I just picked up a used Kona Minxy myself (upgraded from a Norco 6) and am LOVING it so far. For my skill-level (or lack thereof) it suits my needs perfectly, and didn't break the bank. I don't think you really need to be looking around for the latest & greatest technical advancements until you're getting REALLY serious (as in, it's more than a "a few times a year" hobby) about it and trying to go all Brandon Semenuk down the trails.

Mitsu3000gt
09-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Up to you. The rental staff does not GAF about the bikes. Hose 'em down, quick visual, and rent them out again. Another concern is one of safety - if you buy a bike that has been thrashed all it's life like all other rental equipment, maybe it has a crack in the frame that isn't easily seen that could cause a major crash or injury. Just my opinion, but it's not something I would cheap out on when you are depending on it to do it's job flying down a hill at 60km/h hitting drops, rocks, bumps, jumps, roots, etc.

Another idea is if you only get out to ride DH a handful of times a year, it might be cheaper to rent every time and then at least you will be on a newer bike as well.

never
09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Up to you. The rental staff does not GAF about the bikes. Hose 'em down, quick visual, and rent them out again. Another concern is one of safety - if you buy a bike that has been thrashed all it's life like all other rental equipment, maybe it has a crack in the frame that isn't easily seen that could cause a major crash or injury. Just my opinion, but it's not something I would cheap out on when you are depending on it to do it's job flying down a hill at 60km/h hitting drops, rocks, bumps, jumps, roots, etc.

Another idea is if you only get out to ride DH a handful of times a year, it might be cheaper to rent every time and then at least you will be on a newer bike as well.

But most people I see on rentals aren't riding as hard as people that own their bikes. And the level of rental bike abuse will depend on where the rental is from. Something from COP will be likely have fewer runs and less hard riding compared to long run, high volume place like Whistler.

It's easy enough to check over a frame and $1000 is dirt cheap for a DH bike so it is a minimal investment.

J-hop
09-12-2017, 12:56 PM
But most people I see on rentals aren't riding as hard as people that own their bikes. And the level of rental bike abuse will depend on where the rental is from. Something from COP will be likely have fewer runs and less hard riding compared to long run, high volume place like Whistler.

It's easy enough to check over a frame and $1000 is dirt cheap for a DH bike so it is a minimal investment.

Agreed, most people renting a DH bike somewhere like COP can't ride anything big enough to truly damage the bike. Check the frame, check the shock tubes for scratches and your good to go IMO.

Most decent deals I've found through private sales were either really old models or beat to shit.

Darell_n
09-12-2017, 03:13 PM
I have my old DH racer for cheap if you are interested. Marin Team DH, 8" front and 11" travel rear.

triplep
09-13-2017, 08:39 AM

That is what I am trying to get out off. Most ski hills, Fernie, panorama, golden the rental is around 120$ with the "bike rental" insurance. So over the long term period I would save some money by just buying the bike. Hence the search for a new bike.