PDA

View Full Version : Danielle Smith on AM770

speedog
09-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Danielle Smith on AM770 - my god she is a complete idiot at times. Now I realize that radio talk shows hire people like her because they are somewhat controversial and build ratings but her criticism of the whole fire situation down Waterton Park way yesterday made her sound like a big buffoon. Jumping to a number of conclusions despite not having pretty much any facts to substantiate what she was stating. I'll bet today that she will not make one peep about her chatter yesterday and will instead find a new target/scapegoat for her ire with respect to the Waterton situation and that's if she even goes down that path - she may just pretend nothing's happening down there anymore and move on to a new topic. It's not worth it to call in the show either because they don't put you on live and they twist the questions they ask you on your phone call to try to make you look silly or them better.

Thank god she is not leading our province - I remember her being so vocal about candidates leaving up their election signage after the last election she was running in and yet a semi-trailer with her face and campaign shit emblazoned across the side of it sat along side of Highway 2 east of Okotoks for months after that election. Pot calling the kettle black.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Do you think she's substantially worse than other local talk radio hosts? Or even talk radio hosts in other markets?

I've always thought that was the kind of job where you'd end up reading stuff off the page for hours on end without ever getting time to think about anything or really formulate your own opinions. Basically a humanoid robot.

I know If I talked for that many hours a day in front of a microphone everyone's high opinion of me would drop pretty quickly.

phreezee
09-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Fuck this bitch.

Masked Bandit
09-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Her job is provide entertainment by stirring the pot and enraging the masses. Looks like she's actually pretty good at it?

J-hop
09-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Coles notes?

ExtraSlow
09-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Coles notes?

People find female talk news personalty more annoying than they would a man of similar view point and skill.

speedog
09-13-2017, 12:06 PM
People find female talk news personalty more annoying than they would a man of similar view point and skill.

I actually do not care what the gender of the talk radio host is but just that they substantiate their stance with some actual facts. Danielle was way off base yesterday.

Sugarphreak
09-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Inzane
09-13-2017, 02:01 PM
She's always been annoying every time she opens her mouth.
Even when she was an active party leader rarely did anything intelligent come out of it.

Maxt
09-13-2017, 09:45 PM
I didn't really care for the Rob and Roger duo, however I really thought Breakenridge would get the morning slot.. Danielle Smith still talks like she was trying to save the province instead of just jumping at the chance to be in government..
And yes she does come off as weak, right when you expect her to go for the jugular, she wraps up an interview with kind words, then slips in a few slights afterwards.. It leaves me always thinking, " why didn't you nail XXX with that when you them on the phone?" Rutherford would just go right at it, and even Breakenridge shows that tendency once in a while.. All in all I think QR has gone with a much softer approach to talk with its hosts.. I'm not diggin Gord Gillies in the morning either, Bruce Kenyon had the nuts to speak his mind, listening to Gord makes you wonder if he has nuts...Listening to him and Jordan Witzel, its like they are trying to talk a cat out of a tree instead of doing news reporting...

Xtrema
09-14-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm not diggin Gord Gillies in the morning either, Bruce Kenyon had the nuts to speak his mind, listening to Gord makes you wonder if he has nuts...Listening to him and Jordan Witzel, its like they are trying to talk a cat out of a tree instead of doing news reporting...

Wonder why Gord left Global News. He seems like softie and was perfect for that kind of role over talk radio.

suntan
09-14-2017, 11:23 AM
I think Gord lost his job. And yeah, he's soooo gentle on the radio. I just want to grab his head and give him a noogie.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think she's substantially worse than other local talk radio hosts? Or even talk radio hosts in other markets?

I've always thought that was the kind of job where you'd end up reading stuff off the page for hours on end without ever getting time to think about anything or really formulate your own opinions. Basically a humanoid robot.

I know If I talked for that many hours a day in front of a microphone everyone's high opinion of me would drop pretty quickly.

You really, really need to listen to her sometime.

Disoblige
09-14-2017, 11:38 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/3740901/gord-gillies-the-hardest-part-of-the-job/

J-hop
09-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Still wondering what Danielle's controversial criticisms of the Watertown fire situation were.

speedog
09-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Being hyper critical and lambasting anyone involved with the evacuation/notification efforts on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning when she was completely unaware of the actual on the ground situation. A fire that tripled in size overnight and advanced over 15km as well - I've seen how fast forest fires can move and I've fought grass fires in the Lethbridge area and when it's very windy like it can be down in southern Alberta, sometimes it's all you can do is to try to stay out of the way of the fire and these men and women had to do that as well as get people out.

I do not think updating Danielle Smith was anywhere near the top of their priorities that crazy night but apparently it should have been. It's unfortunate that people who put their lives in peril to get others out aren't appreciated or acknowledged by Danielle, just criticized and today, not a peep that I heard with respect to her doing so or even apologizing.

Cow.

J-hop
09-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Ah one of those "why didn't they evacuate all of houston during Harvey" types.

Yea pisses me right off when people external to a situation do that.

Especially when they have zero experience in what they are criticizing. "Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth"

Brent.ff
09-15-2017, 12:40 PM
remember when she told the reporter to piss off cause she was done with public life...what happened with that?!

revelations
09-15-2017, 01:53 PM
remember when she told the reporter to piss off cause she was done with public life...what happened with that?!

Um, she apologized?

Brent.ff
09-15-2017, 02:04 PM
more about the done with being in the public eye ... Just wish that had stayed true

Sentry
09-15-2017, 10:31 PM
A pissed off listener is one that isn't gonna turn the dial.

Also, beyond really is old as fuck, all y'all AM radio listening motherfuckers.

speedog
09-16-2017, 06:42 AM

Also, beyond really is old as fuck, all y'all AM radio listening motherfuckers.

beyond is old as fuck, most of you are in your 20-30's, some maybe in their early 40's. Shit that's still young. 80-90's is old as fuck, man the whining on here will be ridiculous in another 10 years.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm doing my best to increase the number of angry old man posts.

revelations
09-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Really? I turned off all mass/corporate media years ago. Never again.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Ckua pretty much exclusively for me brother.

Seth1968
09-16-2017, 06:46 PM
I didn't really care for the Rob and Roger duo, however I really thought Breakenridge would get the morning slot.. Danielle Smith still talks like she was trying to save the province instead of just jumping at the chance to be in government..

Kenyon should have his own show.

Roy Green and Smith are my favorites.

Brakenridge is cool but his intros are way too long and repetitive. "The callers are like, "FFS Rob, shut up and get to the phones".

Smith?

A cow?, a bitch? No, that's Redford.

In years of listening to Smith's positions, she's a down to earth lady in which her accompaniments are vast,yet ignored and often diminished by the male.

BTW- Fuck you.

Maxt
09-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Kenyon should have his own show.

Roy Green and Smith are my favorites.

Brakenridge is cool but his intros are way too long and repetitive. "The callers are like, "FFS Rob, shut up and get to the phones".

Smith?

A cow?, a bitch? No, that's Redford.

In years of listening to Smith's positions, she's a down to earth lady in which her accompaniments are vast,yet ignored and often diminished by the male.

BTW- Fuck you.

The best memory I have of her , is the look on her face when she lost the Pc nomination to Carrie Fischer... No sympathy for her whatsoever...

ExtraSlow
09-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Totally relevant
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/sports/nfl-beth-mowins-julie-dicaro.html

speedog
09-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Totally relevant
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/sports/nfl-beth-mowins-julie-dicaro.html

How do you figure this is totally relevant - never once was I critical of Danielle in this thread that I started because she is a woman. I was critical of the way she performed her job and nothing else - you are more than welcome to prove me wrong.

J-hop
09-19-2017, 09:50 AM
How do you figure this is totally relevant - never once was I critical of Danielle in this thread that I started because she is a woman. I was critical of the way she performed her job and nothing else - you are more than welcome to prove me wrong.

I don't think it's meant as an insult. I don't believe most people consciously do it. I will personally admit I do often feel more negatively towards female presenters than males, I consciously fight my subjectivity but I think the fact than many see men as more authority figures than women is based in genetic not cultural or personal biases. cultural biases amplify the effect of course but I think it's really important to be able to admit you have these unconscious biases and not try to ignore it. The SJWs would criticize people for it but it doesn't make you a bad person obviously.

Seth1968
09-19-2017, 11:57 AM
I don't think it's meant as an insult. I don't believe most people consciously do it. I will personally admit I do often feel more negatively towards female presenters than males, I consciously fight my subjectivity but I think the fact than many see men as more authority figures than women is based in genetic not cultural or personal biases. cultural biases amplify the effect of course but I think it's really important to be able to admit you have these unconscious biases and not try to ignore it. The SJWs would criticize people for it but it doesn't make you a bad person obviously.

I couldn't care less to the gender of the presenter.

In specific regards to Smith, the only thing I find annoying about her, is her habit of often starting a sentence with a high pitched and shrill tone on the first word. However, I don't find it nearly as annoying as Brakenridge's repetitiveness and constant, "I don't knows".

ExtraSlow
09-19-2017, 12:47 PM
It's really hard for a person to examine the "reasons behind the reasons" for thier own thinking. However I don't think it's controversial to say that it's commonly for people to have stronger criticism of females in media, politics or industry than a male of similar skills.

I know speedo is a good guy, and I'm not accusing an individual of sexism in this situation, however it's hard to think that every beyond.ca member is immune to social effects that are studied and widely common.

suntan
09-19-2017, 01:19 PM
It's really hard for a person to examine the "reasons behind the reasons" for thier own thinking. However I don't think it's controversial to say that it's commonly for people to have stronger criticism of females in media, politics or industry than a male of similar skills.

I know speedo is a good guy, and I'm not accusing an individual of sexism in this situation, however it's hard to think that every beyond.ca member is immune to social effects that are studied and widely common.

ExtraSlow
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
That is an actual photo. Guy is in great shape for someone of his advanced age . . . .

J-hop
09-19-2017, 03:29 PM
I couldn't care less to the gender of the presenter.

In specific regards to Smith, the only thing I find annoying about her, is her habit of often starting a sentence with a high pitched and shrill tone on the first word. However, I don't find it nearly as annoying as Brakenridge's repetitiveness and constant, "I don't knows".

I think you believe that on the surface. But you follow up "I could care less the gender" with hating an attribute specific to females ie higher pitched voice that sounds "shrill" to you.

People have way more biases than they think. It's not wrong, it's natural but pretending you're completely objective is a bit of self deception

ExtraSlow
09-20-2017, 11:23 AM
People have way more biases than they think. It's not wrong, it's natural but pretending you're completely objective is a bit of self deception
+1. It's incredibly difficult to identify your own bias. However every single human has dozens of deep rooted biases. That's how we are wired.

Biases actually serve an important evolutionary purpose. They keep us safe and help us protect the groups we are part of against other groups.