PDA

View Full Version : Favorite butcher in town?

Super_Geo
09-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Just curious where you guys like to get your meat / seafood from when the quality at Co-op/Safeway won't do.

For expensive steaks, I had been going to the Brandt Lake Wagyu stand in Market on Macleod, but they now have some really sketchy guy running it, and I find that there aren't really good available cuts. It's not cheap, their ribeyes are something like $88/kg, and most have large fat caps that need to be trimmed... but they've been by far the best steaks I've ever made (1hr sous vide @ 59C, cast iron pan sear to finish).

Second to None Meats can be good, but I find they're rather hit/miss on what you get selection and quality wise.

wintonyk
09-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Steaks I always hit up Silver Sage at the Calgary Farmers Market.

ercchry
09-13-2017, 12:43 PM
So many garbage butchers in town... half the time you ask for a cut and they don't even know wtf you are talking about... spraggs let us down big time on pork for BBQ on the Bow... basically black listed for me now

Better butcher was always my go to since it was close and always had briskets in stock... but again, their pork isn't great... comes from the largest slaughter house in Saskatchewan

We ended up giving master meats a shot, nice pork butt, they also butcher whole sides of beef in house, have wagyu also... not a ton of experience with them yet, but so far so good

R-Audi
09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Master Meats

BavarianBeast
09-13-2017, 02:21 PM
I just dropped off a deer at Paolini's and they did an excellent job butchering it. The cheese smokies are to absolutely delicious.

The meat they had on display looked great too, but I'll have a freezer full from my own efforts by the end of the year.

90_Shelby
09-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Master Meats

Came in to post this.

Sometimes I go to BonTon

beyond_ban
09-14-2017, 12:45 AM
I have Bon Ton close by, so i generally just swing in and grab whichever cut i want on my way home. No complaints, rib eye's always hit the spot.

tonytiger55
09-14-2017, 01:04 AM
I usually go to the Butchers in the NE (East Indian stores) 'Apna Punjab' etc for chicken and lamb. Lamb in particular.

TYMSMNY
09-14-2017, 01:04 AM
Master meats for special occasions. Otherwise, costco for every day pick ups.

tirebob
09-14-2017, 06:52 AM
Bonton for me... I find their meat quality to be excellent and they always have brisket in stock.

Tej.S
09-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Just echoing what others have said about master meats. I go to the location close to 32nd in the NE, nothing but quality. The prices for the quality of meat is also very fair IMO. They also carry the hybrid "wagyu" now too lol.

Super_Geo
09-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys, went to Master Meats and picked up a chuck roast for a 24hr sous vide.
The place was very clean, and the guys were professional. Will definitely be back!

D'z Nutz
09-14-2017, 10:43 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/cms/binary/6708851.jpg

nismodrifter
09-15-2017, 10:06 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/cms/binary/6708851.jpg

Hahaha

hampstor
09-15-2017, 12:00 PM
I had a good experience with Master Meats when ordered a side of beef from them back in August. Mario was helpful, and the owner (older guy, grey hair - can't remember his name off hand). They threw in a brisket for me too.

i've also used cut-rite for briskets and full sides. Jimmy is knowledgeable and great. I did get a bad brisket from them, though it wasn't aged by them. After that I only bought meat that was aged by them and had no issues. The thing to consider though is they don't spend a ton of time on their decor. If you can get passed that, then it's fine. They do smoke their own bacon as well. He doesn't cure bacon using nitrites though, so it has to be kept frozen.

nismodrifter
09-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I only eat chicken, so for that...Mann Bros meat shop :thumbsup: