PDA

View Full Version : Best shoes for walking or light hiking

ExtraSlow
09-13-2017, 08:49 PM
This may be a stupid question, but what's everyone's opinion on the best shoe types for walking, urban hiking etc? I have been using running shoes, and years ago cross training shoes seemed to be popular.
Actual hiking shoes aren't quite as comfortable I find.

Anyway. Sometimes my mind wanders... What do people think?

dirtsniffer
09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332222246.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwruPNBRCKARIsAEYNXIjg9sbyHdcB4yZUMSwgHaL9H_0NtkDT32gmIET_cOEQnjJrQmHo0zAaAlOgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJz-s_vdo9YCFQ17AQodGMkMkg#332222246=332222252

I have something very similar to this. Covered around 20km a day for 30 days and my feet never got sore. Still look great a year later. Waterproof yet breathable.

ercchry
09-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Probably want something from Arc'teryx, that's what my outdoorsy friends always wear

I just wear tennis/skate shoes... cause... not a nerd :D

taemo
09-13-2017, 10:17 PM
I use a pair of north face light hiking shoes that are also waterproof shoes when in the mountains

but when I travel, my shoes of choice is a pair of ultra-light nike running shoes. very light and keeps my feet cool in warm countries. i ran the first 2 miles of kalalau trail on these running shoes and were really comfy.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Probably want something from Arc'teryx, that's what my outdoorsy friends always wear

I just wear tennis/skate shoes... cause... not a nerd :D

Arcteryx is a baller brand, nothing like paying $300-$1200 for a rain shell Don't get me wrong, I'd wear all Arcteryx if I could afford it but I usually just pick up Merrell hiking shoes. Waterproof, comfortable, and great in the winter too. And cheap.

ExtraSlow
09-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Back in university when every cent in my pocket was disposable income I wore arkteryx.

Good reminders guys, I liked my last pair of Merrell shoes.

Brent.ff
09-14-2017, 08:01 AM
hard to top La Sportiva or Scarpa...

lee88
09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
These are my favorites Asolo, Vasque and keen

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Shoes are VERY personal but I've always shopped around a lot, tried so many pairs the salesperson probably hated me, etc. and I have always ended up with North Face shoes for both Hiking and walking/light Hiking.

I bought these before my trip to Japan and walked 220 KM in them with zero problems:

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-hedgehog-fastpack-gore-tex?variationId=YLF

Mine don't have gore-tex but it's the same shoe.

Just don't buy something with a shank in it if you're using them for walking too.

The last pair of Merrell's I bought were $200 and fell apart after 6 months of extremely light use (walking to work). Build quality is not what it used to be IMO, and I am extremely easy on my footwear.

Brent.ff
09-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Gore never appealed to me. Ya they're 'breathable', but hardly. create a foot sauna

ExtraSlow
09-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Yeah, i don't like gore for shoes.

taemo
09-14-2017, 09:43 AM
I have one of the North Face Ultra Gore-tex that I use for hiking around the mountains and have no problem with sweaty feet.
if I know it's going to be a warm day, then I will use a lighter merino wool socks.

When travelling, I prefer using a pair of running shoes as they are very light, comfy, matches easily with clothes and can be used for quick workouts.

Also, first thing I do when buying a new pair of shoes is change it to gel insoles

Mitsu3000gt
09-14-2017, 10:25 AM
I've never had problems with Gore-Tex shoes and heat either, good ones aren't hot in my experience. My feet are also always hot, I don't even wear thicker socks in the winter or when Skiing and my feet never get cold.

sl888
09-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Have a look at approach shoes. They're a great mix between hiking and climbing shoes. I'm currently using Nike Terra Kiger 2 trail runners but the soles wore out fast on steep terrain and scree. I'm looking at either the Arc'teryx Acrux or the Salomon X Alp Spry.

msommers
09-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Stay away from Keen, they are comfy but wear out way too quickly. Had a pair of Oboz and wasn't a huge fan of those either as they wore out too quickly. Even the guy at MEC was stunned given how little wear the bottom tread had.

Are you looking at a boot or shoe? Something fairly rigid or flexible?

My day hikers went from a heavy boot, to a light boot, to a light trail runner. I second an approach shoe as a great option, don't even worry about the aspect of climbing it in as a factor (unless of course you do that).

Soloman, La Sportiva, Scarpa, Northface...all good options imo.

Socks are just as important as the shoes. Personally for the summer, I don't see the point of big heavy hiking socks, save that shit for winter or shoulder seasons. Light-weight, merino made are the shit.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Not a boot. Low cut, reasonably flexible.

Brent.ff
09-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Just bought these yesterday. So far, awesome.. as mentioned above approach shoes rock. Good flex, great grip, allow me to scramble all day. changed out from Scarpa Crux

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-788/TX4-Approach-Shoes?gclid=CjwKCAjwl_PNBRBcEiwA4pplRWzZbJFCx4tkZZ4cLxYtWIbLwOcOwtt1qc2AVdsVNCcaM4yIvzpWuhoC_tIQAvD_BwE