PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Man

beyond_ban
09-15-2017, 05:49 PM
After being with Bell for 10+ years i think it is time for a change. I have been off contract for a number of years now, and when i called retentions to work out a deal for an iPhone 8 the best they could offer me was 7gb, unlimited canada talk/text, VM and caller ID for $125/month with a $100 bill credit. My current plan with them right now is 6gb, 250 minutes with unlimited text and evening and weekends and ID for $68/month so the leap in price is definitely not worth it... That takes me to the cell phone man.

https://www.cellphoneman.ca/plans

Anyone have any experience? Runs on koodo network and seems to be great bang for the buck. Also open to other suggestions, as it seems like buying the phone outright will be my best option.

schocker
09-15-2017, 06:20 PM
That is just paying someone $100 to fake one of the thunderbay or whatever phone plans.

beyond_ban
09-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Didn't even read the fine print, was wondering what the catch was. Just noticed freedom has a deal on for $40/mo with 6gbs. Thread can be deleted :rofl:

Xtrema
09-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Didn't even read the fine print, was wondering what the catch was. Just noticed freedom has a deal on for $40/mo with 6gbs. Thread can be deleted :rofl:

Please read Freedom thread before switching. It's cheaper for a reason.

HiTempguy1
09-15-2017, 08:35 PM

I wouldn't say that. Freedom is on its own network (aka garbage). Koodo is on telus, and is excellent.

I used cellphoneman and was very happy with the experience. Ive been told.that you can do it yourself, but it was painless and I know it works.

Considering my bill was $115/month with telus, and now I am down to $49/month with 6gb and still on telus network, its a jo brainer IMO. Decide whether its worth it to try yourself or spend the $100 and be set.

pheoxs
09-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I'm on the 48$/6gb plan (on the older SK plan) and totally worth it. You can do it yourself if you want, take a stroll to howardforums and go to the koodo section and theres a megathread on it all if you'd like. Otherwise you can pay someone to do it. There's cheaper people that'll do it as well.

phonesavings.ca will do it for 75$ fee instead of 100. Its all the same, sign up with a new sim under a random plan/number. Switch to different province, wait for a bill to pass, switch to the plan then port your old number in.

spike98
09-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Seriously. Don't pay for someone to do shit like this. Go to a small Koodo retail store, get a Quebec plan because you are "going to be working in Montreal for 6 months and want a local number". Then go home and port your Calgary number in on line.

The MB and SK loop holes are closed but the Quebec works great.

beyond_ban
09-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the info, i will swing into a Koodo store today after reading a bit more. It doesn't seem too difficult, and certainly not worth paying someone else $100 to do it.