PDA

View Full Version : Official 17/18 Winter Tire Thread

Pages : [1] 2

HiSpec
09-18-2017, 06:41 PM
It's almost that time so let's get the conversation going...

I believe the answer to this question is probably a 'no'... but is there such thing as studded performance winter tire?

A couple family members are looking to replace their winter tires. I am considering the new studded Pirelli Ice Zero and BFG Winter T/A KSI. Perhaps Hakka 9 if they are willing to fork up the extra cash. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any review for the Hakka 9.

ExtraSlow
09-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Since I run all seasons and not true summer tires I don't rush to put the winters on. Wife's van usually get them by Halloween, but my Savage supercar can wait until November most years. Can swap in under an hour of the weather turns.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Ordered my Champiro Ice Pro with #13 studs today from Spec R. Still my favourite winter tire.

NissanFanBoy
09-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Someone on another thread suggested PMC Tire...they are out of Quebec and have amazing prices compared to what I've seen.

Anyone know if Westlake SW606 STUDDED are good? As in compared to say a normal set of Blizzaks? I'm thinking of ordering these with some steelies for the Z...it would come to just under $1000. I've never used studded tires before, especially not from a "cheap" brand.

Edit...nevermind...just read studded is bad for dry roads, which is 75-80% of the time in Calgary winters.

craigcd
09-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Thinking about getting these for my beater/commuter.......

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/rotalla-s100-2/2220

Fence sitting because I am scared of how crappy they may be hahahaha. Any one have any experience with "Rotalla" tires?

cyra1ax
09-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Seconding the motion for reviews on Westlake tires. Need to get new winters for the old man's Taco. Was going to get Nokians since I run them on both of my cars, but figured I would look at something more cost-friendly. Maybe someone has experience on what to put on a 2nd gen Tacoma? Purely tarmac queen.

HiSpec
09-18-2017, 09:57 PM
So... I take it that there are no such thing as studded performance-oriented winter tires haha

mzdspd
09-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Seconding the motion for reviews on Westlake tires. Need to get new winters for the old man's Taco. Was going to get Nokians since I run them on both of my cars, but figured I would look at something more cost-friendly. Maybe someone has experience on what to put on a 2nd gen Tacoma? Purely tarmac queen.

From my experience, cheap (chinese) winter tires will perform good on ice and snow but on dry roads they suffer.. They are usually loud and very floaty on the highway. So it depends what you need, if you just need a winter tire to drive around the city, they are great. But on the highway, they really do not drive that great. The vehicle will wander and any sudden turns will upset the car because the tires just do not have the best sidewalls.

I use Saliun Iceblazers (non studded) on my car and take it out on the frozen lake for winter driving school and they perform amazing on snow and ice. As far as braking goes, they are really good. But I have noticed that their optimal temp range seems to be from 0 to -25C. The ice traction gets worse when you get colder then -20. The X ice3 on my wifes car are great in any temp and handle the highways fine.

Thaco
09-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Costco has Bridgestones ($70 off/set) and Pirelli's ($80 off/set) on sale right now, til oct 9, then starting oct 10 they have Michelin's ($70 off/set)

HiTempguy1
09-19-2017, 09:12 AM
So... I take it that there are no such thing as studded performance-oriented winter tires haha

There definitely is. While I am not a fan of Hakkas, the best winter performance/performance tire tradeoff you will get is with Hakka 8. For all out winter/ice performance, there are better tires (studded General Arctic Altimaxes are my go to, I race rally cars on them).

You won't find better tires, one is a compromise, the other provides all out winter grip.

vengie
09-19-2017, 10:20 AM
I put the winters on my jeep and the wife's SUV every year by mid October.

Swank
09-19-2017, 11:17 AM
I got a sweet deal on some used Hankook I-Pikes with steelies, they look brand new. Gonna try them on this weekend to make sure they fit, all of my research says they should, they are smaller and thinner so I don't see why they wouldn't but I'm no expert. Bolt pattern and centre bore are the same as the car they came off of.

flipstah
09-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Mid-October is when I do my maintenance and by Halloween, the roof rack is up and the winters are on.

benyl
09-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Hakka 9

https://www.nokiantires.com/hakkapeliitta9/en

Mostwanted
09-19-2017, 11:53 AM
I used Studded General Altimax Arctic on my 4runner. Actually selling it since i sold my 4Runner, but will be getting the same tires for my new-ish car. Message me if your looking for winter tires studded used for one season approx 4000km only on them studs are not rusting.
Size: 265/70R/17 x4 if anyone is interested.

nickyh
09-20-2017, 07:26 AM
I'm going to run Nokian R2's this year. trying to find a damn tire size that works with my car that is also cost effective is proving to be tough though.
damn staggered offset (front larger than rear) and different wheels between the front & back.

Need to clear an afternoon to go to Kaltire and see what they can do.

01RedDX
09-20-2017, 07:49 AM

MPowered
09-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Anyone recommend a shop to get 20" winters for my Jeep SRT?

Mostwanted
09-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Just got my first set of all-weather tires, Kumho HA31. Initial impressions are good, huge improvement from my last set of winter-only tires.

Been wanting to try out All-weather tires, any reason you went with the Kumho HA31's?

HiSpec
09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Been wanting to try out All-weather tires, any reason you went with the Kumho HA31's?

Just got my first set of all-weather tires, Kumho HA31. Initial impressions are good, huge improvement from my last set of winter-only tires.

I am interested to know as well. Not sure why but I have a feeling we may have a bare and warmish winter.

lint
09-20-2017, 10:57 AM

Try quattro tires (www.quattrotires.com), they've had the best prices I could find over the past couple of years. But prices are all over the place for the given make/model/size. Their quote on the conti extremecontact dws06 have been $150+ a set cheaper than any place locally. I ended up ordering a set of Toyo Celsius, want to try out an all-weather tire, and the shipping was only $12 from quebec for order! I also ordered a set of blizzak ws80 2 years ago as well, same cheap shipping.

other online shops I've checked:

www.pmctire.com - free shipping
www.simplytire.com - distant second in price to quattro
www.4tires.ca - crazy shipping prices
www.albertatiredepot.com - one of the lowest prices locally

Asian_defender
09-20-2017, 11:51 AM

I got the Hankook Kinergy 4S last year from Bob
Great tire! They were less sticky than the Nokian WRs but also $75 less per tire
Would buy again

redblack
09-20-2017, 12:00 PM
You guys should support local tire dealers, urbanex, spec R and tunerworks are great shops

vengie
09-20-2017, 01:37 PM

Urban X (North- Bob, South- Gary) for a local supplier.

Best service in town.

lint
09-20-2017, 01:48 PM
You guys should support local tire dealers, urbanex, spec R and tunerworks are great shops

Curious, does this apply only to local tire dealers?

schocker
09-20-2017, 02:34 PM
I had a set of the WGR2 Nokians when I had my volvo, and they were by far the shittiest winter tires I have used. The kuhmo does have a more winter looking pattern than the nokians and maybe all weather tires have improved since then.

I will probably put my winters in tonight and switch them back off on the weekend as my all seasons are getting pretty low in depth.

bjstare
09-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Finally too cold/wet for my MPSS. Will probably switch over to my winters this weekend.

NissanFanBoy
09-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Z took a day off today... Threw the Blizzaks back on Murano today, a bit overkill but with Calgary weather you never know.

ercchry
09-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Don't drive much... so the mpss can stay for a while... still need to start shopping, but all I know is no more dedicated "performance winters" this year, straight garbage... thinking an x-ice could be a good compromise though, that compound is super long lasting for the half the season when it's nice and dry, but much better grip when it's shitty out

Running staggered 19s this time around... should be interesting

speedog
09-21-2017, 06:49 PM
South of Edson today...

bjstare
09-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Don't drive much... so the mpss can stay for a while... still need to start shopping, but all I know is no more dedicated "performance winters" this year, straight garbage... thinking an x-ice could be a good compromise though, that compound is super long lasting for the half the season when it's nice and dry, but much better grip when it's shitty out

My performance winters (Blizzak LM-32) are on a staggered 19 setup. Obviously they're no hakka's, but for the winters we have they're good enough. Having said that, if I drove it regularly in the winter, I'd probably get hakkas or something. I've had x-ices on a couple different cars - they're great at stopping, but I really don't like them on dry pavement.

A2VR6
09-21-2017, 11:45 PM

Back when I had the car all that I could find that would fit the 19" staggered setup were performance winters only... I dont know if they make X-Ice with the proper sizing (atleast they didnt a few years back). I think Nokian makes the Hakka's now in 19" sizing for Porsche so you might have some luck there.

ianmcc
09-22-2017, 05:44 AM
Just ordered new tires for the wife's Wrangler from PMC Tire. Best price I could see plus free shipping.

speedog
09-22-2017, 07:56 AM
I read an article last night that said that high performance summer tires can actually be dangerous to drive on when temperatures start approaching +5C or lower and in same cases, the actual tire tread can crack and possibly even break off. Is this actually a thing because of the different compounds in a performance summer tire?

speedog
09-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Just ordered new tires for the wife's Wrangler from PMC Tire. Best price I could see plus free shipping.

Curious, why not buy local even though it might be a bit more expensive? When there are no longer any local tire shops, then what - we mount and balance our own tires? I'm not hating on you but places like Urban X employ and spend locally and also help out other local businesses through referrals and I'd hate to see places like that disappear.

jaylo
09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
I read an article last night that said that high performance summer tires can actually be dangerous to drive on when temperatures start approaching +5C or lower and in same cases, the actual tire tread can crack and possibly even break off. Is this actually a thing because of the different compounds in a performance summer tire?

Sounds like a propaganda. If they have a measure or test that this is proven then that is tough to believe.

I have used Bridgestone RE050A which is Max Performance Summer on a dry -20 to -25 weather and it held up fine.

An older 4 year old tire or the cheap knock off brands people are referring here could some issues down the road.

Don't cheap out on tires!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Sounds like a propaganda. If they have a measure or test that this is proven then that is tough to believe.

I have used Bridgestone RE050A which is Max Performance Summer on a dry -20 to -25 weather and it held up fine.

An older 4 year old tire or the cheap knock off brands people are referring here could some issues down the road.

Don't cheap out on tires!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A

It's not propaganda however the tire isn't going to just blow apart or chunk. Particularly R Compound tires or slicks (for example a Toyo R888R or Nitto NT-01 or a Hoosier A6/R6) its very possible they can crack in cold weather, even during shipping its advised not to ship high performance summer tires in extreme cold weather.

FWIW RE050A aren't even close to the top 200 treadwear summer tires (Bridgestone RE-71R and Nexen SUR4G) these days in terms of grip, if I had a choice and was forced to drive in -25 for sure I'd pick the RE050A over the other stickier tires.

ianmcc
09-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Curious, why not buy local even though it might be a bit more expensive? When there are no longer any local tire shops, then what - we mount and balance our own tires? I'm not hating on you but places like Urban X employ and spend locally and also help out other local businesses through referrals and I'd hate to see places like that disappear.

Local companies can search online just like I did and price match if they like but even for $40 I would shop outside of Calgary if I can get a better deal.

SKR
09-22-2017, 09:03 AM

Some can. I had 3 replaced under warranty on my ZL1 Camaro when I had it, because it was delivered in winter and driving it off the truck into the showroom was enough to crack them. They held air, but they looked scary. The fourth one hadn't cracked yet and GM wouldn't replace it.

speedog
09-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Here's the article from tirerack.com, link (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273), take it for what it is.

TIRE TECH
Don't Drive Summer Performance Tires in Cold Temperatures

Whether you blame it on climate change, a polar vortex or what seems to be the beginning of the next ice age, there's no doubt recent weather patterns have exposed many drivers to freezing temperatures and wintery driving conditions. In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

flipstah
09-22-2017, 09:35 AM
I don't know if I should put my X-Ice on now...

benyl
09-22-2017, 09:53 AM
My performance winters (Blizzak LM-32) are on a staggered 19 setup. Obviously they're no hakka's, but for the winters we have they're good enough. Having said that, if I drove it regularly in the winter, I'd probably get hakkas or something. I've had x-ices on a couple different cars - they're great at stopping, but I really don't like them on dry pavement.

I have PA4s on the Wagon that gets driven daily. Awesome on dry pavement.

The E63 can't go smaller than 19" due to clearance issues. Nothing like 35 series tires when it is cold out. haha

lint
09-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Do you buy everything local, even though it's more expensive? You don't shop around online to find the best prices, for anything?

speedog
09-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Do you buy everything local, even though it's more expensive? You don't shop around online to find the best prices, for anything?

I'm an anomaly on here in that I can probably count on one hand the number of things I've purchased on line. I like that face to face contact and help/advice and don't mind paying a bit more for it. I do see that changing for myself but certainly in a way thatany beyond members do - my tires will still be purchased locally, I love the fact that I can go into Urban X and be sold what I actually want/need and leave comfortable with my purchase in addition to the service they provide and continue to provide.

01RedDX
09-22-2017, 12:26 PM

01RedDX
09-22-2017, 12:49 PM

NissanFanBoy
09-22-2017, 09:06 PM

LOL...grew up in Vancouver, we drove on summers and bald all seasons all year long right through the winter, and yes it does get below 5 degrees there. Was it dicy at times? Yes, but no tread was cracking and breaking off! Sorry, funniest thing I read all day.

dj_rice
09-22-2017, 09:11 PM
A friend is selling some Toyo Observe Garit KX. Anyone ever run these before and can comment on how they are? I've always used cheap winter tires on my previous vehicles, GT Radial Champiro Ice Pro studded so curious how these perform

bjstare
09-22-2017, 09:14 PM
LOL...grew up in Vancouver, we drove on summers and bald all seasons all year long right through the winter, and yes it does get below 5 degrees there. Was it dicy at times? Yes, but no tread was cracking and breaking off! Sorry, funniest thing I read all day.

FYI Van is a little warmer than Calgary in the winter. And yes, I know it got below 5*C.

Did you skip past the post where SKR said this actually happened to him (here in AB)?

speedog
09-22-2017, 09:56 PM

So tirerack.com is off their rocker?

max_boost
09-22-2017, 09:58 PM
I buy local and pay a bit more but it's because I have been going to the boys forever and I want to give them the biz. With that said, sometimes I do buy online and just ship directly to them haha

zhao
09-22-2017, 11:25 PM
So tirerack.com is off their rocker?

While anyone who races probably knows someone who ordered tires too soon in winter and had a ups guy 'shatter' their new racing tires by throwing them off the truck (hasn't happened to me personally but I do know people who have had it happen), I can't say that applies to anything that is normal to drive on the street. I've driven re01's in -20ish and it did not ruin them, and that is about as extreme a summer tire as 99.99% of the population will ever have touch their car.

Also, anyone who drives summer tires like that in winter probably will not have that car long as it will likely be put in to a cement barrier within an hour or 2.

heck, i dont usually even leave my summer tires on my summer car that has never seen snow. It has a set of blizzak LM's i put on it for storage.

SKR
09-23-2017, 02:20 AM

Not every tire cracks. Some do. I had three that did. Good for you that you were some kind of tire expert back in Vancouver, but you're wrong here.

ercchry
09-23-2017, 08:04 AM
I enjoyed the mpss' yesterday... lots of steering with the throttle :burnout:

Had alpin's last season... garbage

The x-ice come in a 245/40 and 45 profile in a 19... seems like a decent size, run a little stretch in the rear... but I'd rather a 245 vs a 265 or 285 for winter anyways

r3ccOs
11-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Picked up some new winter tires and got a steller deal on a couple sets of coopers along with some rebates from CT

Got a set of studded Weather Master S/T's for cheap on the Volvo... I would say in deep snow, they are the best I've had, but on Ice even with studs... they are about 90% of the Gislaved studded frost 5. Plenty good for Calgary's winter conditions and really cheap to boot. AWD with the DSTC and brake force distribution and she's solid as a rock

on the F150, picked up the CT version of the Cooper XT/4 all weather called the AT/W. I picked it up in an E ply LT, as the tread depth is 16/32nds and runing 32 PSI this thing is a BEAST. Deep snow as good as my Duratracs... on hard pack and Ice? Better than any A/T I've ever had and also about 90% of the Goodyear Ultimate Ice grip winters I use to run.
I used to run Duratrac E ply studded, and these XT/4s blows them away especially on transitional highway conditions... honestly in the city I've not "had" to put it in 4x4, and when I have, its almost too much traction.

honestly I almost think that heavy Part time 4x4's should not use full Winter tires, as its probably too much strain on the drivetrain

ercchry
11-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Ends up with hakka r2’s... weird tire... some conditions it’s almost too much grip, others it feels like a performance winter. And in dry, warmer weather it feels like my wheels are made of butter...

03ozwhip
11-06-2017, 01:57 PM
getting my studded Hakka 9s put on tomorrow. pricey as fuck but I've never had studded and after reading and watching vids about them, I decided to try them on my X5.

will report back when I've had a good chance to test them out.

roll_over
11-06-2017, 03:24 PM
I have PA4s on the Wagon that gets driven daily. Awesome on dry pavement.

The E63 can't go smaller than 19" due to clearance issues. Nothing like 35 series tires when it is cold out. haha

Are you sure? I went 18 on my e63 without a single issue, just couldn’t go any smaller then that.

vengie
11-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Fiance and I both use Toyo G3-Ice studded.

They're FANTASTIC tires.

Maxt
11-06-2017, 07:40 PM
I had some Nokian Rotiiva AT all seasons installed on my 3500 work truck last thursday.. I have a lot of weight in the truck much more than most people drive around with, but so far these tires kick ass on snow and ice. Kal tire assured me these are hard enough not to burn down quickly like a full winter tire did on the truck, and the price was good, 6 tires installed for 1600.00
I'm not even going to bother putting my chains in the back of the truck this year, I went up a deeply drifted rural driveway on Friday morning with ease and the truck is 2wd.

cyra1ax
11-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Anyone got Toyo Observe GSi5? My Hakka R2's are on their last legs and I'll need to get a new set for next winter. Thinking either the Toyo's or something studless from Gisavled.

Mostwanted
11-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Currently running Hakka 8s Studded on my Rav4, overkill yes, but driving 1000km per week on the highway better safer than sorry. I love them! Ran General Altimax Arctic Studded on my 4Runner before i sold it, I would have gone back to the Generals but got such an amazing deal on these Hakkas.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Loving my Champiro Ice Pro with 2mm studs. This is my fourth set.

HiSpec
11-07-2017, 12:12 PM
getting my studded Hakka 9s put on tomorrow. pricey as fuck but I've never had studded and after reading and watching vids about them, I decided to try them on my X5.

will report back when I've had a good chance to test them out.

Please provide your feedback on the Hakka 9s!!

benyl
11-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Anyone got Toyo Observe GSi5? My Hakka R2's are on their last legs and I'll need to get a new set for next winter. Thinking either the Toyo's or something studless from Gisavled.

Just got them on my F150. Hardly put it in 4WD anymore.

max_boost
11-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Love my Blizzak WS80 and DMV2

the Nexen winspikes I have on the transit are also really good but blizzaks are life lol

lint
11-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Running the Toyo Celsius on the Gti and so far so good. First drive when installed, they felt squishier than the stock UHP all seasons, but after driving for a bit don't really mind it. Slips a little more than the WS80, but I think they've performed really well over this first snowfall.
Still have the Continental Extremecontact DWS06 on the Flex, and have been really impressed with the snow performance as well. Have had no issues on the Bow Trail hill thus far.
Bought a set of Minerva - Emizero 4S ALL Weather for my mom's car. Felt good in the dry before the snow. She's been away, so I'll update when I get some feedback on how they do

r3ccOs
11-07-2017, 02:02 PM
I had some Nokian Rotiiva AT all seasons installed on my 3500 work truck last thursday.. I have a lot of weight in the truck much more than most people drive around with, but so far these tires kick ass on snow and ice. Kal tire assured me these are hard enough not to burn down quickly like a full winter tire did on the truck, and the price was good, 6 tires installed for 1600.00
I'm not even going to bother putting my chains in the back of the truck this year, I went up a deeply drifted rural driveway on Friday morning with ease and the truck is 2wd.

the Rotiiva's are awesome period. I used them last winter in a C ply in my half ton and rarely was there a necessity to use 4x4... they also wear quite good, but I was stupid using them through most of the summer (being AW) and they got down to the 40% mark and I decided to pull the plug and pick up the cooper AT/W

I would say the Rotiiva's on-road mannerisms are better than the AT/W and if you get the E ply (which you'd have) you get a ton of tread depth as well. The AT/W's IMO right now grips EVEN better on icy conditions and hardpack BUT are loud less comfortable than the Rotiiva's on the roads.

Offroad, I'd give the AT/W's the upper hand as their lugs are spaced to really clear out snow like a mud tire

Fuel economy seems better with the Rotiiva due to better rolling resistance, but also probably cause they were the C ply

if I were to drive my truck everyday, I'd definitely go Rotiiva again, even over an LTX M/S defender

dj_rice
11-07-2017, 02:02 PM

I have the Garit KX version on mine this year. So far, pretty good but we haven't had the conditions yet to really test out. Still figuring out what PSI the tires work best in right now. Good bang for buck in this segment I think. But they are definately noiser than my summer Dunlop Runflats thats for sure but thats a given since winter tire.

r3ccOs
11-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Just got them on my F150. Hardly put it in 4WD anymore.

I found that though a full winter improves traction tremendously, I think it puts too much strain on the transfer case unless its a complete slick mess out. I think even hard packed roads warmer than -10 that with full winters (ulltra ice grip) that my turning radius was ridiculously wide while still feeling the wheel hopping, just going around corners.

NissanFanBoy
11-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Waited till now to get some winter tires for my wife's Juke, found a 17 inch set of X-Ice's with 8-9/32nds and black steelies for $450, decent deal I think since brand new is around $1000.

The tires that came on the Juke are the Nokian all weathers with about 6-7/32nds left and they felt really dicy on ice/snow. I'm guessing all weathers are useless once they get low...

benyl
11-08-2017, 11:28 PM
I found that though a full winter improves traction tremendously, I think it puts too much strain on the transfer case unless its a complete slick mess out. I think even hard packed roads warmer than -10 that with full winters (ulltra ice grip) that my turning radius was ridiculously wide while still feeling the wheel hopping, just going around corners.

I had DMV1s before. Leaving a stop light, I would regularly have 1 wheel spinning. So much so, I was tempted to the Raptor TCCM / Switch mod that gives me 2WD lock. I've just been too lazy to order the parts from Tasca. With the GSi5, I am not having the same issues.

With the DMV1s, I would put in 4Hi coming to a stop. Leave the light and then switch back to 2Hi. Let off the gas to disengage either the hubs or the TC, then keep going. I only get wheel hop on hardpack when I have the rear diff locked.

03ozwhip
11-09-2017, 11:48 AM
so a few things on the studded Hakka 9s. they are loud as fuck. even with the new "suck in" technology they have, they are still loud on dry pavement.

in deep slushy snow these things are beasts, my wife is scared shitless of her own shadow and she is driving like a maniac with these tires on lol

they just grip all over the place. the shoulder studs really help around corners that are snowy and you never have to feel afraid of pulling out in front of a car just to get caught slipping in front of them.

I drove into chestermere yesterday from strathmore and took the off ramp into chestermere at summer speeds(dry all around) and it never felt mushy or any kind of soft, it felt nice and firm through that turn, I was really impressed.

the last thing I noticed is changing lanes and I'm only mentioning this because the X5 is a 20x10 and 20x11 staggered setup with meaty 315/35 in the rear.

the OEM run flats pull you all over the road when changing lanes pretty much anywhere. I'm running a square 275/40/20 setup with the 9s and it is a completely different feel in ride compared to the bigger run flats.

it is super comfortable and changing lanes is "normal" now and you don't have to correct your steering over a hump in the middle of the lane like you would the run flats.

anyways, so far I've had only 1 issue with these tires. price. they were a little over $1700 installed, but so far they're well worth it.

NissanFanBoy
11-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Question.. Are all studded tires just as good? I'm debating buying these no name Chinese tires that are studded off PMC tire...Maxtrek... For my Z, it's either these or pay more for non studded Blizzaks.

blownz
11-09-2017, 03:18 PM
so a few things on the studded Hakka 9s. they are loud as fuck. even with the new "suck in" technology they have, they are still loud on dry pavement.

That seems really odd as I have had Hakka 7's on two cars and an SUV and they were all quiet. And I currently have Hakka 8's on an SUV and car and they are both quiet as well. The 9's have a lot more studs, so maybe that is it, but I find it hard to believe a newer version would be louder than an older version. Is there a chance that your alignment is out a bit?

So to be clear, I am talking about driving at speed. Driving less than say 20km/h you can easily hear the clicking sound of the studs in any of the vehicles I have had with Hakka's if the stereo is off.

Question.. Are all studded tires just as good? I'm debating buying these no name Chinese tires that are studded off PMC tire...Maxtrek... For my Z, it's either these or pay more for non studded Blizzaks.

Most tests constantly show that for the most part, you get what you pay for. So I would say no. Plus, when it has such a huge safety impact, why would you take a chance just to save maybe $100/year over the life of the tires?

I know many years ago, two people I knew had two door Saturn Ions automatics (control your excitement...) and each of them just purchased new winter tires. One just bought some Michelin X-Ice (believe they were the original ones) and the other had Hankook ipikes (I think that was what they were called). Anyway, we went to a snow covered Canadian tire parking lot late one night and they did about 5 'drag races' and braking tests. Very unscientific, but the Michelins were clearly much better. And I think at the time the Hankook guy paid about $400 and the Michelin guy paid about $500.

And a better tire will be worth every penny if you really have a close call or end up in a minor accident vs a major one.

mzdspd
11-09-2017, 03:32 PM

The chinese tires are usually good on ice and snow but they suffer on dry conditions. They are loud and at >80 km they are very floaty and unstable. If you just stick with city driving, they are okay for a cheap option. But they do not compete with a tier one tire like a blizzak.

I have Salium Ice Blazer that came on my car when I bought it, they work really well for the frozen lake training and winter driving but on a dry highway at 120, they are loud and have no corner stability.

03ozwhip
11-09-2017, 03:37 PM
let me be clear, I don't hear the click of the studs, it's the road noise that is much noisier than my run flat all seasons.

suntan
11-09-2017, 05:59 PM
I have Kumho Izens on the Fiesta. 6th season now. They have good traction. You will lose a ton of manoeuvrability. They brake well. Not as good as the Blizzaks but way better than any all-season tire. Also they melt like mad in warm weather.

The Santa Fe XL has Blizzak WS80s. They really are life.

It makes me wonder how good performance winters are, because hell those would be fun.

Many years ago, I had Nokian WR G1s on a Honda Accord. They were okay but not nearly as good a real winter tire.

I had Nokian WR G2s on a Ford Escape. Way better than the G1s. Great traction until it hit -25C, at which point they were utterly useless.

The first winter tires I ever had were Michelin Arctic Alpins. They were good at first, but the second season they sucked. Also they were loud as hell, and resulted in almost dangerous steering situations (they had I think zero sidewall stiffness).

Tik-Tok
11-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Kind of depends on your location IMO. If you're in the heart of a hilly suburb that almost never sees a plow or sander, then get cheap studded tires. If you live 2 block away from a major artery that gets constantly plowed, than quality non-studded is the way to go.

Or just buy a quality studded tire and live like a king.

The chinese tires are usually good on ice and snow but they suffer on dry conditions. They are loud and at >80 km they are very floaty and unstable. If you just stick with city driving, they are okay for a cheap option. But they do not compete with a tier one tire like a blizzak.

The problem I've seen with cheap studded tires, is that a they will still become a hockey puck at -15 like all-seasons do, so now you're just floating on studs when driving on dry pavement, which is almost as shitty as all-seasons on ice.

r3ccOs
11-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Kind of depends on your location IMO. If you're in the heart of a hilly suburb that almost never sees a plow or sander, then get cheap studded tires. If you live 2 block away from a major artery that gets constantly plowed, than quality non-studded is the way to go.

Or just buy a quality studded tire and live like a king.

The problem I've seen with cheap studded tires, is that a they will still become a hockey puck at -15 like all-seasons do, so now you're just floating on studs when driving on dry pavement, which is almost as shitty as all-seasons on ice.

I'm almost a "budget" winter tire junkie and though I can say my favorite to date was a Gislaved Frost 5, I have used Nokian Hakka 7s, WRs, Ultra Ice grip, XICE2, General tire articmax (basically a gislaved), 2 sets of Goodyear Nordics, Firestones and now Coopers weather masters

I haven't yet used a chinese brand, though I'm getting more comfortable with more of the "common" brands; say Nexen, Champiro and Sailun...

Okay, NOW... when it comes down to getting value, compromise and unstoppable traction the BEST combo I've used where the tire was a low speed rated, jelly like sidewalls with unbelievable deep snow traction and ice grip, yet plauged with terrible milage and road noise as well as manerisms were the firestone winterfoce studded.

honestly terrible carcass but no punctures or buldges... didn't corner well and added tons of steering play BUT big deep lugs chugged through deep snow like a mud tire, and the sipes enhanced with studs kept up with the best non-studded I've used on ice

the Cooper weathermaster s/c's I bought are very similar but with just "slightly" better road mannerisms, but again with studs is a beast and luggy to get through the deep shit

tirebob
11-10-2017, 10:23 AM
I am living in Water Valley now and coming on on backroads that for the most part do not see a plow. I am trying some studded Federal Himalaya Inverno's on my F150 (275/55R20) this year. The traction level for the Federals is fantastic! They are very stable feeling in the dry as well. Obviously the studs generate a bit of road noise but definitely nothing intolerable. I am blasting down 8 inches of snow covered roads with ice underneath in 2wd without any issues.

mzdspd
11-10-2017, 11:28 AM

I do agree with you on this.. They do not have the same temp range as a quality tire. I find on the Saliun, the do turn into pucks below -20. I dont think I would buy them unless I had a very low budget.

tirebob
11-10-2017, 12:46 PM
I do agree with you on this.. They do not have the same temp range as a quality tire. I find on the Saliun, the do turn into pucks below -20. I dont think I would buy them unless I had a very low budget.This is absolutely true. It is a question I get often whether or not it matters the quality of a tire if you are studding it anyways...

So for the record... Not all compounding is created equally. Absolutely a cheap studded tire is going to still provide a much higher level of traction compared to not being studded, but the better tires with complex rubber compounds that stay softer in the extreme cold will be better studded than the less complex compounds studded. Think of studding as adding a layer of traction rather than as being equivalent no matter the tire. This wasn't as true even not that long ago but over the last few years, compounding has really advanced a lot creating a much higher variance between the cheap stuff and better stuff.

That said, I still very much believe that any modern winter tire is an improvement over all seasons! By no means does that mean one absolutely needs winter tires, but pretending that it isn't offering a real improvement having them is a complete falsehood.

diamondedge
11-10-2017, 01:54 PM
I've had the opportunity to drive my WRX on both Hakka8 and now Hakka9 studded. Comparing between the two is hard - they feel very similar on the streets. When the lake freezes I'll be able to judge the ice performance better.

The stud noise is present at low speeds for sure; 20km/h clickty-clack. Last night, driving on Deerfoot in the freezing rain, I felt no real perceptible loss of grip. This morning on the way to work, the combination of slush over top of partially melted ice did trigger ABS; but that was a full panic stop test. I think most tires would fail this scenario, when the sipes are full of slurpee and the studs can't bite down through it.

Nothing beats low speed parking lot traction at JOEY Barlow ;)

Strider
11-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Question for anyone in Edmonton - Studded or non-studded for commuting between Edmonton and the Shell Scotford refinery?

We're bare pavement here in Calgary for the majority of the winter, but how is it in Edmonton and the surrounding secondary highways?

vengie
11-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Question for anyone in Edmonton - Studded or non-studded for commuting between Edmonton and the Shell Scotford refinery?

We're bare pavement here in Calgary for the majority of the winter, but how is it in Edmonton and the surrounding secondary highways?

Studded Always. The SLIGHT decline in dry pavement performance vs incredible improvement on icey conditions is worth it.

"I'd rather have them and not need them. than need them and not have them"

mzdspd
11-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Edmonton just started using a new de icer blend and the roads so far have stayed mostly wet/slush, even in temps near the -20 range.

I work with a couple guys that live in Fort sask and commute to edmonton and they have never had an issue with just studless. They said the highway is always fairly clear and plowed.

I would go studless and go for a high end tire like Blizzak/Xice or Nokian. You will also get more mileage out of these tires.

dj_rice
11-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Edmonton just started using a new de icer blend and the roads so far have stayed mostly wet/slush, even in temps near the -20 range.

I work with a couple guys that live in Fort sask and commute to edmonton and they have never had an issue with just studless. They said the highway is always fairly clear and plowed.

I would go studless and go for a high end tire like Blizzak/Xice or Nokian. You will also get more mileage out of these tires.

Werd, they started using this Calcium Chloride solution with rust inhibitor in it. Same stuff used in Ontario? Not sure, but its apparantly worst corrosion on vehicles than the salt solution before. But yes, the roads this year are better than the previous years. No more black ice issues. The roads always look wet/icy now because of this solution. And you can clearly tell which roads have the solution applied, and which don't.

suntan
11-23-2017, 01:19 PM
I was up in Edmonton last week and the roads were way better plowed than anything I've seen done by Calgary crews.

They have to be really serious though about clearing roads, they don't get nearly as many chinooks (if any) in winter.

03ozwhip
11-23-2017, 09:13 PM
With all the snow that has been around since October, we haven't seen our roads cleared once. I'm pissed about it.

flipstah
11-28-2017, 12:54 PM
I've been washing the undercarriage on a weekly basis haha yay!

The ExtremeContact DWS is doing alright in this type of weather.

HiSpec
11-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Got myself a set of Hakka 9s. They are squishier than I expected. But I think it's because studs don't provide a lot of grip on dry pavement.

dj_rice
11-28-2017, 02:28 PM
I've been washing the undercarriage on a weekly basis haha yay!

The ExtremeContact DWS is doing alright in this type of weather.

Is there a car wash with lifts?

Tik-Tok
11-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Got myself a set of Hakka 9s. They are squishier than I expected. But I think it's because studs don't provide a lot of grip on dry pavement.

It's also because it's been +10 all week. They'll feel better at -10

bigbadboss101
11-29-2017, 08:28 AM
For my car we have XIce 3. It's not the best traction but it is good in the dry, not too loud, and has decent wear rating. Now with the baby hauler we are going to get a mini van. Tirebob and others do you think it is better to get something like Hakka or DM-V2 versus a studded tire? I wonder about studded tires on bare roads and if it's detrimental to the gas mileage or if the tick tick sound becomes a nuisance.

Hallowed_point
11-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Gf has studded Hakka 9's on her civic. Fantastic tires with unbelievable grip. A little noisy at low speed but pretty quiet on the highway.
Studded tires have come a long way. Still happy with my non studded Toyo observe g3 ice's from last year. Quiet, grippy and pretty decent
in the dry.

r3ccOs
11-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Gf has studded Hakka 9's on her civic. Fantastic tires with unbelievable grip. A little noisy at low speed but pretty quiet on the highway.
Studded tires have come a long way. Still happy with my non studded Toyo observe g3 ice's from last year. Quiet, grippy and pretty decent
in the dry.

is there any tire with enough grip to handle the power of the 6x6??

now that said, I drove one not so long ago and actually think that the Honda 3.5 J35YXX is underrated.... it is one of the strongest 3.5's I've used

porsche killer... no

max_boost
11-29-2017, 08:10 PM
For my car we have XIce 3. It's not the best traction but it is good in the dry, not too loud, and has decent wear rating. Now with the baby hauler we are going to get a mini van. Tirebob and others do you think it is better to get something like Hakka or DM-V2 versus a studded tire? I wonder about studded tires on bare roads and if it's detrimental to the gas mileage or if the tick tick sound becomes a nuisance.

I love my Blizzak WS80 (Golf) and DMV2 (GLK) and a lot of other friends are running similar setups.

flipstah
11-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Is there a car wash with lifts?

ServPro does it when you enter the wash bay.

Hallowed_point
11-30-2017, 11:55 AM
is there any tire with enough grip to handle the power of the 6x6??

now that said, I drove one not so long ago and actually think that the Honda 3.5 J35YXX is underrated.... it is one of the strongest 3.5's I've used

porsche killer... no

Haha..they handle the power just fine as long as traction control is left on.

Agree..I think the 3.5 is much closer to 300 hp vs 278 as rated. I have no complaints.