PDA

View Full Version : Butchers that sell Tartare?

dj_patm
09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Anyone know if there are any butchers that sell or will prepare beef tartare?

Only place I've been able to get it is in one of the Polish stores in town and they have stupid hours. I know I can just buy tenderloin steak and cut it up myself but that's a pain without a meat grinder.

cancer man
09-21-2017, 05:31 PM
go to the stupid store and they will grind it for you. then add your own ingredients. My wife is barking go to coop.

speedog
09-21-2017, 06:50 PM
go to the stupid store and they will grind it for you. then add your own ingredients. My wife is barking go to coop.

Barking? Hmmm.

dj_rice
09-22-2017, 05:39 AM
Barking? Hmmm.

Man thats ruff

dj_patm
10-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Did this. Didn't die. Great success.

I actually thought there might be an extra step for a cut used for tartare but we didn't die so yeah. Woo.

Inzane
10-05-2017, 12:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6QqSxmpRMM

FixedGear
10-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Personally I wouldn't eat raw beef that had been ground at superstore. I can just imagine how disgusting and bacteria-kaden their machines are. I'm sure they don't sterilize their equipment before grinding beef. So you're going to get a ton of bacteria in your ground meat, which will make you sick when you eat it raw.

Personally j would grind it myself, or use a food processor on fresh cubed beef.

ExtraSlow
10-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Yeah, no chance that company understands and follows basic food safety protocols. Much safer from a small shop without any management systems.

FixedGear
10-10-2017, 10:23 AM
With that volume they simply don't have time to sterilize the machine each time. That's why the packages come with warning labels instructing consumers to fully cook the product. I never advocated buying from a small shop.

dj_patm
10-10-2017, 11:46 AM
I guess the machine would be a concern. I guess all you can do is tell them you're making tartare and hope they take the necessary steps?

I've had the meat ground by two different butchers, once at Sobeys and once a polish store here in town. Both times we had no issues (I've eaten tartare easily over a hundred times in my life and have never got sick). I would grind the meat myself but I need to buy a meat grinder.

Buster
10-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Tartare shouldn't really be pre-prepared. Making it fresh is vastly more safe.

Also, you are supposed to chop it with a knife, not grind it.

LadyLuck
10-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Illichmann's Sausage shop, they sell it in store and can even make it fresh for you on the spot.