PDA

View Full Version : Power Skating Classes

dj_patm
09-20-2017, 04:45 PM
So I finished the Discover Hockey program and played the subsequent season and fell in love with the game. My issue now is that I'm at the point where it's not much fun playing in lowest div anymore as it's really sloppy and I don't feel like I'm learning anything playing at that level, so I want to move up but the issue is my skating is still holding me back a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions for like, Power Skating/Hockey classes for someone who isn't a total beginner but still struggles with some basic stuff? Essentially, I just don't want to pay for a beginner class and waste half the time practicing stuff I don't need to practice.

I've heard Rex Tucker hockey is a good place to look but they don't have much info on their website. Anyone have any experience?

Street_Soldier
09-20-2017, 05:00 PM
U of C Power Skating.
They Offer Power Skating 1, 2 and 3.
They also have Hockey 1, 2 and 3.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/ActiveLiving/registration/Browse/Skating-Arena/Ice-Hockey-and-Power-Skating

Took some of these like 10 years ago so i don't know whose instructing. When i took power skating the instructor was great, it definitely made a difference in my skating.

Hockey programs on the other hand wasn't great, goes for both the U of C and Tucker, just too much downtime (lots of skaters and not enough ice).

never
09-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Tucker and U of C were good for staying fresh over the summer.

What really helped was some more focused training. I have a buddy who is training to be a linesman and those guys have to be able to really skate. He took some one-on-one sessions with Mike Bracko and it made a big difference. So we got some buddies together and signed up for a bunch of sessions. http://www.hockeyinstitute.org/

The cool thing about the sessions were that they were tailored for exactly what we wanted. Skating technique, skating drills, hockey drills, etc. Expect to be wiped out after each session if you go hard. We did that over one summer and when the regular league started up again, it was a huge difference (compared to the start of the previous season).

max_boost
09-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Join a team that's a bit more competitive will help too. Eventually you find a spot where you fit in well.

I'm not good enough to play any tier2 hockey but the nchl div10-11 range is about right for me and i haven't improved much the last couple years haha

TYMSMNY
09-20-2017, 05:44 PM
practice. practice.

UofC has a great power skating class, actually classes as there are more advanced ones.

asp integra
09-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Once the weather gets cold enough, try to get to the outdoor rink as often as you can. Its free and depending on the ones you go to there are always good games going on with good hockey players that will push you to be better