PDA

View Full Version : LF Shop to replace leaf springs

kaddy
09-21-2017, 09:02 AM
I'm looking for a shop to replace my leaf springs on my 2006 F150 5.4 Lariat.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any idea what I should be looking for labour & costs? I got a quote for $2K with rear shocks included, but it seemed high to me.

revelations
09-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Thats not too far out of line. On my 2001 F350, I found some aftermarket leafs locally for 750$ (extra load) and the shocks (aftermarket) were about 450$ for a set of 4, (so around 200$, rear).

After adding in the bolts, nuts and other parts, its essentially ~1200$ for parts for the rear, even before getting started on labour. The guy I hired (mobile mechanic) took about 3 hours to replace the leaf springs. It was heavy duty work and was about 200$ in labour but shops could probably go for 500$ for the job.

Sentry
09-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Labour depends heavily on whether or not the truck wants to cooperate. Leaf springs are easy to replace if everything comes free, but they're also at the rustiest area of the vehicle.

AndyL
09-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Standens /thread

kaddy
09-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Thats not too far out of line. On my 2001 F350, I found some aftermarket leafs locally for 750$ (extra load) and the shocks (aftermarket) were about 450$ for a set of 4, (so around 200$, rear).

After adding in the bolts, nuts and other parts, its essentially ~1200$ for parts for the rear, even before getting started on labour. The guy I hired (mobile mechanic) took about 3 hours to replace the leaf springs. It was heavy duty work and was about 200$ in labour but shops could probably go for 500$ for the job.

Who did you get to do the labour? I just got another quote for $500 flat for the labour for both.

ercchry
09-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Who did you get to do the labour? I just got another quote for $500 flat for the labour for both.

Does that include front struts too? Seems fair if it does, if not... shit, I think even I could do leafs and dampeners in the rear only in under 3hrs in my driveway... and I'm not even a mechanic! most of the rusty stuff is easy enough to take a grinder to also, so shouldn't be too much of a time difference

If it was me, I'd order new leafs from standen, bilstien 5100s all around, and a 2" block kit with longer u-bolts for the rear... then find a 3rd party shop with a reasonable hourly rate and get charged for actual time vs book

revelations
09-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Labour depends heavily on whether or not the truck wants to cooperate. Leaf springs are easy to replace if everything comes free, but they're also at the rustiest area of the vehicle.

:werd: I added, over several days prior to the job, pb blaster penetrating fluid to the affected areas to try to at least make it cooperative. The tech did not have to cut off anything.

revelations
09-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Mobile mechanic from Kijiji. Good guy - had him come back and recharge my AC as well later on.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-skilled-trades/calgary/mobile-auto:-mobile-mechanic-service/1293976405?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true