PDA

View Full Version : New high efficiency furnace, what do you do for maintenance?

NissanFanBoy
09-24-2017, 07:12 PM
We're on our second house with a new high efficiency furnace, just curious what do you guys do for preventative maintenance besides changing the filters?

Also, any spare parts I should buy and keep around in case it breaks down in the middle of winter?

ExtraSlow
09-24-2017, 07:33 PM
People talk about keeping spare parts but at my house between two gas fireplaces, heated floors and a space heater in the youngests room, I'm confident we could last a few days for service in the event of a breakdown even in the coldest weather.

Maxt
09-24-2017, 08:28 PM
We're on our second house with a new high efficiency furnace, just curious what do you guys do for preventative maintenance besides changing the filters?

Also, any spare parts I should buy and keep around in case it breaks down in the middle of winter?
Keep the condensate trap and line clear, some makes require the trap be kept wet( a water level in the trap). Other than a flame sensor and an ignitor, the rest of the parts are usually too costly for a homeowner to have sitting around as spares ..
Clean the mesh on the air intake side..

ZenOps
09-25-2017, 07:55 AM
I use a couple of 1500 watt delonghi oil filled heaters as backup, mind you I only use 7GJ in January and the space I heat up is mostly vertical. The heaters themselves are usually on the order of $100, but the cost to heat with electricity is expensive, so its best used only when the natgas needs fixing.

J-hop
09-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Keep the condensate trap and line clear, some makes require the trap be kept wet( a water level in the trap). Other than a flame sensor and an ignitor, the rest of the parts are usually too costly for a homeowner to have sitting around as spares ..

Actually just had the igniter on my furnace go last week. Called a couple places but everyone was booked for weeks. Ended up replacing it myself was easy enough that didn't need any knowledge of furnaces at all.

According to service records my igniter lasted 10 years on the first one and 7 years on the second igniter. So if your furnace is 5+ years old I'd have a spare.

Was a really cold sleep!!

NissanFanBoy
09-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Good to know.... Any common exposed sensors that should have dirt or dust blown off?

revelations
09-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Would you recommend a light air blow to the unit to clear out dust? Even with a filter, there still appears to be a light dust coating on the circuit boards, etc.

Also, a flame sensor runs under 100$ for a TRANE unit. Are these common replacement items for your industry?