PDA

View Full Version : Calgary - best city for drivers in N. America

01RedDX
09-27-2017, 12:58 PM

dj_patm
09-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Its not about the best drivers but the best city for driving.

I'm sorry but the lack of lane discipline should put it to the bottom of the developed world. No way that the home of the "Canadian" can be called a top 10 driving city in the world. I would agree with most of the other categories. Calgary has it pretty good overall compared to places I've driven.

(Canadian = When you're in the middle lane and being passed by cars going significantly faster than you but you HAVE to pass the car in front of you immediatly so you cut off the faster moving traffic in the left lane to pass by going a hair faster than the car you're passing, popular among semi drivers)

SkiBum5.0
09-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Other than left lane cruising I'd have to agree after spending time in the US. I miss my 25 minute joyrides up Crowchild from Lakeview.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Have driven on four continents, and this doesn't sound too unreasonable.

That being said, I kind of like driving in LA, because once you get in the right headspace, it's pretty fun.

Sugarphreak
09-27-2017, 01:32 PM

max_boost
09-27-2017, 01:44 PM
lmao that's good. i would say calgary has the shittiest drivers.

AzNxHyDrA
09-27-2017, 05:22 PM

I suppose being the best city for drivers allows for more shitty drivers on the road.

Not sure if that made sense lol.

mr2mike
09-28-2017, 07:29 AM
That list is so useless.
Ever been to Zurich, Switzerland? Speed cameras everywhere. Like seriously, everywhere.
Steep fines, jail time and they give 1 month license suspensions for going +20km/h over.

Feruk
09-28-2017, 07:57 AM
(Canadian = When you're in the middle lane and being passed by cars going significantly faster than you but you HAVE to pass the car in front of you immediatly so you cut off the faster moving traffic in the left lane to pass by going a hair faster than the car you're passing, popular among semi drivers)
Not just semi drivers; I see this all the time on the highway. My favorite version is when you're in the left lane, nobody in front of behind, racing away, and some dude in the right lane sees you coming and just HAS TO pass the guy in front of him right there and then. Doesn't matter that he's been behind that dude 5 minutes. He sees you and thinks the opportunity to pass is about to vanish even though there is nobody behind you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also on topic... I'd agree driving here is pretty easy compared to any other big North American city that I've seen.

Manhattan
09-28-2017, 10:25 AM

That title still goes to Richmond.

suntan
09-28-2017, 10:30 AM

I take it you've never driven in Vancouver.

A790
09-28-2017, 11:06 AM
ITT: people with limited driving experience in other cities complaining that their golden goose is the wrong hue. Too funny.

Inzane
09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
I wanted to see how Calgary outranked Edmonton but it looks like Edmonton wasn't even evaluated in this study.

I can think of several reasons why I'd like to live in Calgary and possibly even prefer it. But the driving in Calgary (vs. Edmonton) is definitely NOT one of them.

suntan
09-28-2017, 11:43 AM
One thing I love about Edmonton drivers: They actually go when the light turns green, and they boot it through left turn lights.

rage2
09-28-2017, 12:20 PM
I wanted to see how Calgary outranked Edmonton but it looks like Edmonton wasn't even evaluated in this study.

I can think of several reasons why I'd like to live in Calgary and possibly even prefer it. But the driving in Calgary (vs. Edmonton) is definitely NOT one of them.

One thing I love about Edmonton drivers: They actually go when the light turns green, and they boot it through left turn lights.
That's interesting, because I've been going to Edmonton quite often lately because of concerts skipping Calgary, and what I hate about Edmonton are:

- Huge amount of photo radar
- Everyone driving slightly at or under speed limit

It feels so slow driving there.

suntan
09-28-2017, 12:40 PM
The city has traffic lights everywhere, so not really a surprise.

HiTempguy1
09-28-2017, 02:07 PM
It feels so slow driving there.

Absolutely it is, crazy how people drive so slow. On the flipside, Calgary is just all over the f*&king place. Half the population is driving under the speed limit, and then half of you are doing 30 over on Deerfoot. Driving in Calgary is way more frustrating for me as at least in Edmonton, people drive like they are anesthetized. In Calgary on the other hand, you never know what the half that are driving like maniacs will do as they still suck at driving.

It's honestly a big reason I'm happy to live in Edmonton as I drive so much, commuting in Calgary made me want to murder people.

dj_patm
09-28-2017, 02:14 PM
I find that people that say that people in Calgary "drive like maniacs" are just poor drivers.

I probably see a handful of people actually driving like maniacs in a year. To me driving like a maniac means weaving in and out of traffic, pulling ridiculously illegal moves and raging on people. Speeding 20 or 30 over depending on the situation, does not constitute driving like a maniac.

rage2
09-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Absolutely it is, crazy how people drive so slow. On the flipside, Calgary is just all over the f*&king place. Half the population is driving under the speed limit, and then half of you are doing 30 over on Deerfoot. Driving in Calgary is way more frustrating for me as at least in Edmonton, people drive like they are anesthetized. In Calgary on the other hand, you never know what the half that are driving like maniacs will do as they still suck at driving.

It's honestly a big reason I'm happy to live in Edmonton as I drive so much, commuting in Calgary made me want to murder people.
Just depends on the area you commute in. Hell, I think I can break it down by quadrant. I've been driving to the NE quite often lately (kid's friends all live there) and holy shit it's like a different city. Everyone drives super slow below the limit Edmonton style, 2x2 or 3x3 blocking all lanes. As soon as it hits the NW, it's the Indy 500. 20-30 over is the norm. The SW used to be fast drivers, but I've noticed it's slowed down with drivers slightly, maybe 10 over the limit, but they'll get out of the fast lane if they're blocking. SE, drivers DGAF, YOLO, routinely see 40+ over, cutting through traffic Nascar style.

In summary, all those annoying lane blockers going under speed limit on fast lane assholes, they're from the NE. :rofl:

rx7boi
09-28-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't mind the drivers as much as I fucking hate cyclists.

dj_patm
09-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Just depends on the area you commute in. Hell, I think I can break it down by quadrant. I've been driving to the NE quite often lately (kid's friends all live there) and holy shit it's like a different city. Everyone drives super slow below the limit Edmonton style, 2x2 or 3x3 blocking all lanes. As soon as it hits the NW, it's the Indy 500. 20-30 over is the norm. The SW used to be fast drivers, but I've noticed it's slowed down with drivers slightly, maybe 10 over the limit, but they'll get out of the fast lane if they're blocking. SE, drivers DGAF, YOLO, routinely see 40+ over, cutting through traffic Nascar style.

In summary, all those annoying lane blockers going under speed limit on fast lane assholes, they're from the NE. :rofl:

The T&T parking lot in the NE is the mecca of poor driving in Calgary.

Literally. It radiates out from there.

Inzane
09-28-2017, 04:16 PM
what I hate about Edmonton are:

- Huge amount of photo radar

Can't argue with that. I've heard via hearsay from others more in the know on current radar technologies etc. that Edmonton is supposedly up in the top 3 or 4 cities in north America for radar technology and enforcement levels. A conventional detector is getting to be almost useless within the city now because of the proliferation of DragonEye.

And this is apparently by design as part of the current council's war on the automobile. (along with the bike lanes and aggressive LRT expansion)

Manhattan
09-28-2017, 04:39 PM
The worst trait about Calgary drivers is their lack of patience and willingness to share the road. I don't know if its the corporate/time is money driven culture or a country backroads attitude. Very rarely do people allow you to merge or change into their lanes, honking at cars parallel parking, any kind of slight inconvenience people lay on the horn. The general mentality of drivers seems to be 'never give an inch'.

It all goes back to the fact that this is a car dominated city/country/continent and everyone who can afford to buy a car will be on the roads. Driving should be a privilege not a right of passage for every single person.

ercchry
09-28-2017, 04:59 PM
This city has changed drastically over my driving career (15 years now)

It use to be great... but now? Vehicular homicide goes through my mind daily

People have no issues merging right in front of you doing 20 under... then actually honk at you for passing them

Someone not driving when the light goes green? Better not honk... or they will finger you... and possibly they will then sit there till the light goes yellow then drive through

I've actually quite often been the 3rd or 4th in a line of cars and EVERYONE in front of me is so distracted that I'm the first one to honk when no one is moving

People leaving a football field of space in front of them in traffic drives me the most insane though... it's like people want to sit at red lights or something

HiTempguy1
09-28-2017, 05:23 PM
I find that people that say that people in Calgary "drive like maniacs" are just poor drivers.

I probably see a handful of people actually driving like maniacs in a year. To me driving like a maniac means weaving in and out of traffic, pulling ridiculously illegal moves and raging on people. Speeding 20 or 30 over depending on the situation, does not constitute driving like a maniac.

You sir are mistaken. Every person that has ever driven with me thinks I drive way too fast in the city. Only 10 over, ever. So before we go getting all self-righteous with name calling, maybe cool your jets.

And yes, that shit you mention, in Calgary? All the time. And being dead serious, 30 over on the deerfoot when you have retards doing 85 or 90 is completely in the realm of dangerous. Its not the speed that is the problem, it is the speed differential, especially when they decide to cut you off trying to make their offramp.

In general, I would agree that 30 over isn't a big deal, and would gladly advocate for speed limits to be increased that much.

Feruk
09-29-2017, 08:08 AM

:clap: Well said.

And being dead serious, 30 over on the deerfoot when you have retards doing 85 or 90 is completely in the realm of dangerous. Its not the speed that is the problem, it is the speed differential, especially when they decide to cut you off trying to make their offramp.
Lol you do 30 over in the RIGHT lane on Deerfoot and are then surprised when someone moving from the fast lane to the slow lane "cuts you off?" This is a case where if you let a bad driver keep talking (typing), he will reveal himself as such. :rofl: