PDA

View Full Version : Street Racing Article

B17a
10-02-2002, 03:31 PM
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/20021002/URACEXI/national/national/national_temp/2/2/26/

van
10-02-2002, 03:48 PM
Interesting article.

I still feel however, the person that is reponsible is the person driving behind the steering wheel.

I do feel that although it is a majority of Asian Males driving "high-powered" cars. It is the responsibility of the driver of that car to maintain and control the car as necessary.

Because a few bad drivers are out there, the rest of the community has to take the stabbing too.

I don't know..

van
10-02-2002, 03:56 PM
I still think they shouldn't say its all Chinese males or Asian males. I don't know, kinda pisses me off. Asians aren't the only one to drive high powered cars. Everyone does.

B17a
10-02-2002, 04:00 PM
I can't believe that chicken-shit that killed that cop has disappeared! I hope they find him and make an example of him!

5gluder
10-02-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
I still think they shouldn't say its all Chinese males or Asian males. I don't know, kinda pisses me off. Asians aren't the only one to drive high powered cars. Everyone does.

My thoughts exactly, i find it offending that they stereotype the drivers of the "rice rockets" as asian drivers.

B17a
10-02-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder

My thoughts exactly, i find it offending that they stereotype the drivers of the "rice rockets" as asian drivers.

True but lets look at the facts here, the last three or four people who have killed others in street racing in Vancouver have all been asian. And let's not kid ourselves, just take a look around, asians comprise the largest group within this so-called "Street Racer" community. That's not a negative thing, but it's inevitable when something bad happens, everyone gets painted with the same brush. Human nature.

kenny
10-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by B17a
I can't believe that chicken-shit that killed that cop has disappeared! I hope they find him and make an example of him!

Hes probably back in Hong Kong with his parents, and I doubt they will actively look for him over there. I agree, they should plaster his picture all over the media overseas, I'm sure someone would like a fat cash reward so he can be brought to justice.

2000impreza
10-02-2002, 04:12 PM
they mention its not a "racial" thing..... but yet the point the finger at rich asian parents....

5gluder
10-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by B17a

True but lets look at the facts here, the last three or four people who have killed others in street racing in Vancouver have all been asian. And let's not kid ourselves, just take a look around, asians comprise the largest group within this so-called "Street Racer" community. That's not a negative thing, but it's inevitable when something bad happens, everyone gets painted with the same brush. Human nature.

Your right, but the referal of asian drivers is based on an area that is largley made up of a diverse community. If this happened somewhere else like Saskatchawan where the ethic population is lower, do you think they would still refer the drivers of "rice rockets" as asian drivers?

I'm sure in an area like Vancouver where there may be a majority of asian drivers that drive fixed-up rides are more likley to be caught doing some sort of illegal driving, but that dosen't mean that a person should automatically start stereotyping that Chineese people drive "rice rockets".

max_boost
10-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Its unfortunate that asians are stereotyped as street racers but it seems like the import scene is somewhat dominated by orientals.:dunno:

turkeysilk
10-02-2002, 05:33 PM
I'm not gonna say whether the article was right, or whether it was wrong, but I will say this, there does seem to be a large number of oriental people in the street racing scene. Also, while many of you have said this is unfair, I have noticed such quotes as these:

"Rice Fly by! Wooooooooosh!" - Ecstasy_Civic
"last night at the street races" - Me_VS_YOU
"ya it was no fly by man that car is the real thing trust me! i needed those 5 point harnesses" - Ecstasy_Civic
"ppl come down with there ricers and turn on all the lights they can competing to see who can be the best christmas tree.." - redline_13000
"I pull up to a red light with a 2000 silver Prelude, driven by a young Asian girl (sound familiar to anyone?)" - NinjaK84
"chalk up another for the honda guys!!" - LUDELVR
"I revved mine, and we go at the light." - NinjaK84
"Anyway, I wait till he pulls up beside me, then I drop it in second, take off, and in the end, that was pretty much that." - LUDELVR

So this is why people might think that.

rage2
10-02-2002, 05:44 PM
"The parent is responsible for the children's actions," Chris Ng said. "They do not need to provide such expensive, high-powered cars, then leave their children alone and let them do whatever. It is not fair to take someone's life so carelessly. Just for fun."

Not to be an ass or anything, but a Civic is an expensive high powered car? :dunno:

As for stereotyping asains, have you guys been to Richmond? I think the media has a right to point their fingers at asians. It's like Hong Kong over there. I've ran with a few people when I went down there, and they have no skill at all. Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should... :D

ninjak84
10-02-2002, 08:08 PM
another racial profiling article, wow.

"all asians are rich racers that kill cops"
"all muslims are terrorists"
"all blacks are in gangs"

infamous
10-02-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
another racial profiling article, wow.

"all asians are rich racers that kill cops"
"all muslims are terrorists"
"all blacks are in gangs"

can't forget

all whites can't jump or dance :rofl: :werd: :rofl:

max_boost
10-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by infamous

can't forget

all whites can't jump or dance :rofl: :werd: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh man! Thats so freaking funny......no one take offence to it though......:thumbsup:

ConVict
10-02-2002, 09:52 PM
The never said ONCE that ALL asians are street racing, or that its JUST asians with fast cars and money!
But the article DOES say that in the past little bit 6 ASIANS have been caught or something of that matter ( only went over it quickly )
So your telling me that if 50 white boys go steal old ladies wheel chairs that they should just brand all teenagers as punk kids... of course not! if the statistics point out a certain race as ONE of the MAJOR problems of course they will mention it!
Facts are Facts, they woudnt come out of no were and just pic asians for something to do , just so they can piss people off... come on and get some common sense

If asians are the main problem in vancouver with street racing, it should be brought up that asians street racing is a problem!

clear and simple
and no last time i checked im not racist... my kkk clan are a bunch nice of guys ... just joking guys calm down haha
:rofl: :rofl:

ninspeed
10-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Honestly, this article pisses me off. I have been to BC and yes I realize that a lot of the younger people there modding up their cars are asians but come on...the white guys in their not so singled out cars cause a lot of shit too. The street races in BC might have a lot of asians in attendance but thats because its the majority population there. If you've ever been out to the races here in calgary, they're mostly white guys and girls out there. We have accidents here all the time with white people, as I'm sure BC does as well. So what, just because the cases where death occur happen to be asian, they're automatically the bad guys? I hardly think so. I'm a white female and I hold my race just as responsible for racing and accidents as any other. Doesn't matter what they are, white, asian, black, latino, girl, boy. It doesn't matter. This article was clearly written with by a very biased and racist reporter who knows little about his or her facts and in my journalism program, we are taught that it's wrong to do that. You have to present both sides of the story or in this case, the story of all racers, not just one section of them. I have used my own article regarding the racing problems in a newswriting class of mine and got a 98% on it. I doubt this article would recieve the same mark.

Mel

ConVict
10-02-2002, 10:10 PM
well let me shoot something out there...
maybe it wasnt a biased kinda reporter...
see we are teenaged kids who know the import sense inside and out because we are IN it...
But if your some 40 year old reporter and the only thing you have to go by is some statistics paper thats infront of you, and your boss tells you to write up a paper...
So i guess if we are into the seeing all sides aspect here... maybe it wasnt the reporters fault ...
who knows

ninspeed
10-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ConVict
well let me shoot something out there...
maybe it wasnt a biased kinda reporter...
see we are teenaged kids who know the import sense inside and out because we are IN it...
But if your some 40 year old reporter and the only thing you have to go by is some statistics paper thats infront of you, and your boss tells you to write up a paper...
So i guess if we are into the seeing all sides aspect here... maybe it wasnt the reporters fault ...
who knows

The reporter may not be biased but his facts were. Reporters have every right to go out and investigate, editor prefer it and it wouldn't be hard to find someone that knows a little more about it. Stories like that are usually suggested by the reporters to the editors, soft news like that generally is...if that is the case, this man had better do more research...

Mel

Redlyne_mr2
10-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I've ran with a few people when I went down there,
you just became another asian statistic to point the blame at:rofl: thats ok though at least you're not rippign down the road at 302km/h:confused: :rofl: :rofl:

rage2
10-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
you just became another asian statistic to point the blame at:rofl: thats ok though at least you're not rippign down the road at 302km/h:confused: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm white, what are you talking about? :dunno:

three.eighteen.
10-02-2002, 11:06 PM
up until now...asian guys have been stereotyped as the quiet geeks...i'd much rather have that rep than man-killing, speed demons...mind you man-killing, speed-demon in a bmw works way better on the ladies than the former...

Impreza
10-02-2002, 11:51 PM
i dont get how u can juss disapear...he is bound to show up sooner or later

GTS Jeff
10-03-2002, 02:36 AM
well shit...im a young asian male.

i better get my parents to buy me a high-powered import now! otherwise the retard wrote this article might be wrong about me!

e46slugmo
10-03-2002, 03:50 AM
that article is so sickening...it's all stereotypes.

i live in richmond, and every friday and saturday there are about a million road blocks either in richmond or in vancouver areas around it. bunch of BS...

not my fault street racers killl people...stop pulling me over!

infamous
10-03-2002, 04:12 AM
i would have to agree....there are many white people who drive nice fast cars, and they race and kill people....the stereotype should belong to every single race and sex, not just to asians...i am white, and i even feel the need to take some responsibility....and even though people have died, are dying, and will die should be enough motivation for us to change...i know that i have toned down my driving since hearing about all the deaths and accidents (not to mention tickets)...i just pray that the fucker who killed the cop gets caught, and is put in a car while someone else rams it at 200 km/h....i hope that he dies and goes to hell

HOK
10-03-2002, 06:33 AM
i can't beleive that was in the globe and mail... that is the scariest article i have read... its like we are back in the 30s with muthaF***ers throwing rocks at shops...there are street racers in every single major city in the world and people die... happens all the time... and these chinese people blaming thier own youth is sickening.. toronto is packed with chinese people too... wheres the article on that?

B17a
10-03-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 5gluder

I don't think you should be too offended. The reported probably talked to a couple people, heard the term "rice rocket" a couple times and based it on that. Plus, look on this forum how much rice reference there is, heck, how many members have rice in their usernames? And as someone pointed out already, ricer fly-bys, ricer this, ricer that...

turkeysilk
10-03-2002, 05:34 PM
I think many of you have missed the point of the article. Not once in the article did they say that all Asian people drive in illegal street racing, and kill people. All the article was saying, is that there is a common trend.

e46slugmo
10-03-2002, 07:22 PM
watching the news right now...talking about richmond street racing. AGAIN, chinese are to blame. they specified "asian teenagers with expensive cars....who's buying them and why?" and they say "the parents are to blame, because they do not NEEEEEED to buy such expensive powerful cars for their kids"...

first of all, cars that are "expensive" dont necessarily mean they're powerful...and if they're powerful, doesn't mean that everyone is going to race them...

second, what's it to the BC government what "asian parents" buy for their kids, they help the economy...so stop harassing us!

third, parents do not "NEED" to provide expensive cars for their kids...but maybe they want to you stupid ass BC people...

if they want to stop street racing they might as well ban all cars and lets all take the freakin' bus :banghead:

ninspeed
10-03-2002, 08:41 PM
totally agree with that! :thumbsup:

Mel

GingeRRRBeef
10-03-2002, 09:15 PM
Well, I guess this is such a controversial topic so I thought I might as well give my 2 cents.

My first impression of this article is that asians are to blame for these automobile accidents. The overall tone and setting of the article entirely "holds" asians responsible for the deaths. But that is what the media does. MISDIRECTION OF INFORMATION!!!! They don't tell it like it is but tell it like what people want to hear.

But I think before this incident with the cop, people are already aware of asians and imports (and I think you will agree with me for the fact that the majority of us drive imports) and they are just waiting for something to happen to cry about it. It's just like the saying ....

I's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that people shouldn't feel sorry for the people who died or those drivers who killed shouldn't feel remorse. But accidents are a part of life.

I feel that it is an unfair portrayal of the asian community but that's what the media does. It find scapegoats for people to blame for societies' problems. When the media targets this group to be blamed, it makes people that are not involved feel a little bit better about themselves. Because they didn't do the "bad things." But then again, it probably helps all of us realize what we are doing and make us reflect and think of all our actions and ponder the consequences.

I dunno :dunno: Sorry if I didn't make any sense.

turkeysilk
10-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
Well, I guess this is such a controversial topic so I thought I might as well give my 2 cents.

My first impression of this article is that asians are to blame for these automobile accidents. The overall tone and setting of the article entirely "holds" asians responsible for the deaths. But that is what the media does. MISDIRECTION OF INFORMATION!!!! They don't tell it like it is but tell it like what people want to hear.

But I think before this incident with the cop, people are already aware of asians and imports (and I think you will agree with me for the fact that the majority of us drive imports) and they are just waiting for something to happen to cry about it. It's just like the saying ....

I's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that people shouldn't feel sorry for the people who died or those drivers who killed shouldn't feel remorse. But accidents are a part of life.

I feel that it is an unfair portrayal of the asian community but that's what the media does. It find scapegoats for people to blame for societies' problems. When the media targets this group to be blamed, it makes people that are not involved feel a little bit better about themselves. Because they didn't do the "bad things." But then again, it probably helps all of us realize what we are doing and make us reflect and think of all our actions and ponder the consequences.

I dunno :dunno: Sorry if I didn't make any sense.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I would agree with that statement.

You say that accidents are a part of life, and that should just be accepted, but then you feel that it is unfair to blame to purportraitors of the crime? Now I'm not saying that it is the all of the asian community that is responsible, because 95% or more isn't. But in the cases that were looked at, Asian drivers were responsible for what happened.

My major "beef" with what you said though, is pretty much what I said in my first sentence. The Asian community has not been hurt by this, the people that have been racing, will continue to race on general level. I know that accidents are a part of life, but there is always someone at fault in the accidents. And in these particular cases, it was Asians.

ConVict
10-04-2002, 12:53 AM
Thats exactly what i said...:nut:

SilverStreak
10-04-2002, 01:38 AM
Good thing we live in Calgary. I wouldn't like to see someone in Calgary getting or killing someone while street racing. If so, us import enthusiats are all in big trouble.:thumbsdow