PDA

View Full Version : Foam for cash

The Cosworth
10-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Class action settlement regarding purchase of anything made in Canada with foam. I know even just looking back I probably bought 5 or 6 things by the time you factor in this was 12 years. My claim didn't work out to much, $15 or $16 dollars but still more than $0 for 10 minutes of your time. Big thing to note, you need to take a photo of something with foam that you bought in this time. So no luck if you've sold it all or thrown it all out. I know for my couch and chair I removed the tags long ago (for god knows what reason) but I never did remove those mattress tags!

You are automatically a Class Member and can complete a claim form if you:

Live in Canada now or you lived in Canada between January 1, 1999 and January 10, 2012; and
Bought, in Canada, flexible polyurethane foam, eligible foam products or carpet underlay made in Canada for personal, commercial, or manufacturing use during the same time period.

http://www.foamforcash.com/

There may be more money hiding in your couch than a few stray coins. Canadians who bought sofas, mattresses, padded chairs and certain carpet products may be entitled to compensation for being overcharged thanks to legal settlements against dozens of foam manufacturers who allegedly conspired to fix prices between 1999 and 2012. Claims start as low as $20 for those who purchased eligible products containing flexible polyurethane foam that were made in Canada. The material is a type of padding commonly used in furniture, mattresses, and carpet underlay.

The material is a type of padding commonly used in furniture, mattresses, and carpet underlay. In order to claim a piece of the $38 million out-of-court settlement, one of the largest related to price-fixing in Canadian history according to an awareness campaign, consumers must fill out a form on the Foam for Cash website and include a photo of the product label or receipt. Eligible consumers must live in Canada or have lived in Canada between Jan. 1, 1999 and Jan. 10, 2012, and have bought a qualifying item in Canada.
“Twenty dollars is kind of the standard claim. All you have to do is indicate that you purchased one foam item in the appropriate period,” Heather Rumble Peterson, a partner at Strosberg Sasso Sutts, told CTV Toronto. “There is a calculator on the website that will help you determine whether or not you purchased enough additional items that we will take you above a $20 compensation file.”

Source: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canadians-may-be-eligible-for-20-cheque-after-class-action-deal-on-foam-1.3629275

RealJimmyJames
10-12-2017, 08:29 PM
So I get paid for not ripping the tags off my furniture? Wtf?

riander5
10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
I like this "Heather Rumble Peterson"

J-hop
10-26-2017, 04:12 PM
News articles are super confusing on this issue. Some claim you’ll get a minimum of $20. But the total agreed settlement to be paid out is 38MM. Which means only 1.9MM people can claim at most.

The way these usually work is your payout is dependent on a max/person or the total divided by the number of claims submitted (whichever is smaller).